Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhhh he did not look that bad in Ender's Game :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dont need one last sendoff for fat old characters. I have 3 perfectly good movies for that already.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

I'm cool with this. One last film adventure for Luke, Leia, and Han to ring in the next generation.

I hope they pick someone great for Jacen (assuming they're keep the EU Solo kids). He's by far my favorite post-OT EU-only character.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is always a bad idea.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Horrible decision if they've really relegated the main characters of the trilogy to supporting characters for the first film.

Are we really so sure Ford can do any other role well besides "sleepy grandpa"?

KaptainKrunk fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 12, 2014

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

KaptainKrunk posted:

Are we really so sure Ford can do any other role well besides "sleepy grandpa"?

Alzheimer's patient?

Counteresperanto
Jun 15, 2007

Achievement is its' own reward. Pride obscures it.
I think it was in an interview for Maxim magazine, maybe around the time of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, that Harrison Ford said he thought Han Solo wasn't very smart and would probably be dead by now.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I could see Hugo Weaving as Thrawn

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I get super heated about Grand Moff Tarkin

What an awesome character.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

I dont need one last sendoff for fat old characters. I have 3 perfectly good movies for that already.

Abrams playing the nostalgia card is pretty disappointing, I think Arndt had the right idea.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
J.J. Abrams' Star Wars turns out to be just another schmaltzy nostalgia wank.

Who would have thought it!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I have a bad feeling about this.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Esroc posted:

I'm cool with this. One last film adventure for Luke, Leia, and Han to ring in the next generation.

When has bringing back actors from 20 years back ever worked, much less 35years?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Baron Porkface posted:

When has bringing back actors from 20 years back ever worked, much less 35years?

Make Episode VII half a chamber drama about the specific machinations of power politics in a postwar occupation Republic and half a Proustian meditation on old age and death.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The more I hear about this movie, the less interested I become. Disney, please, it's Star Wars. You don't need to bring back the old cast, this film is still going to make record breaking numbers no matter what. Bringing back the old cast is not going to change anything. Make a fun adventure action movie in the Star Wars universe with new characters. Please. The movie will be so much better for it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Dolph Lundgren came back eighteen years later for Universal Soldier: Regeneration, which was pretty drat good.

It's a weird situation because how many franchises have remained as culturally prominent as Star Wars and still managed to not release a sequel in twenty or thirty years? Is there anything beyond the other movie series where they already did this, Indiana Jones, where it would be worth even trying?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Baron Porkface posted:

It's been known to happen.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Counteresperanto posted:

Harrison Ford said he thought Han Solo wasn't very smart and would probably be dead by now.

Solo is a dumbass, and it's great! Like he is a space-pilot who doesn't know what a parsec is, and his repairs only further damage his ship, he probably only vaguely understands Chewie, etc. But that's the greatest thing about him - he doesn't let his limitations get in his way! And he tries to hide it, but he's basically as earnest and kindhearted as Luke, the only real difference between them is slight age/experience.

Edit: Like any right-minded nerd, I compose my own canon. Han Solo died in California, shot by Indians. Chewie became Bigfoot, and the Falcon a tomb to be plundered by Indiana Jones.

Anyways, I'm not too worried about the inclusion of old characters. Abrams may have had Old Spock in his Trek movies, but the stories didn't let the bloated canon trip em up. I would prefer to see a Ridley Scott head-ripping attitude to canon a la Prometheus, but that's probably not a realistic hope.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

It's been known to happen.

That was only 15 years and at least half were bad,

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Just the other day I said to a friend "you watch, they'll give Hamill and Ford 10-minute parts, Carrie Fisher will get a one minute cameo as a floating head hologram, and they won't rehire Mayhew." Hwelp. :cripes:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

That was only 15 years and at least half were bad,

Relevant side note: If you earnestly think that there is a good Next Generation movie, like one that isn't just garbage, people are judging you.

edit: nice Muppet Treasure Island avatar my friend that movie is great

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

I may have misunderstood the article but I was under the impression they were implying that only Episode VII was going to be the trio returning as main characters and thus being a transition to Episodes VIII and IX where the supporting characters would be elevated to the main ones. I'm probably wrong though. If they do intend to do all three films with the trio as the main characters then I agree it'll just be a terrible nostalgia wank.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Godammit you people are going to make me track down a DVD of First Contact and write a 6,000 word essay why it owns

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Esroc posted:

I may have misunderstood the article but I was under the impression they were implying that only Episode VII was going to be the trio returning as main characters and thus being a transition to Episodes VIII and IX where the supporting characters would be elevated to the main ones. I'm probably wrong though.
Yeah, you read it right.
I imagine the main characters will all die when Han Solo has a stroke piloting the Millennium Falcon and it crashes into an asteroid.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 12, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Esroc posted:

I may have misunderstood the article but I was under the impression they were implying that only Episode VII was going to be the trio returning as main characters and thus being a transition to Episodes VIII and IX where the supporting characters would be elevated to the main ones. I'm probably wrong though. If they do intend to do all three films with the trio as the main characters then I agree it'll just be a terrible nostalgia wank.

Sequels usually take about 3 years to come out. So that's 9 years of the old cast needing to be alive. Disney could I guess do one movie a year, but that is very risky and very expensive. I don't think they've done something like that yet?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
They are making the Hobbit movies at the rate of one a year and that is probably why I thought the cgi in them was very uneven

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 12, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I said come in! posted:

Sequels usually take about 3 years to come out. So that's 9 years of the old cast needing to be alive. Disney could I guess do one movie a year, but that is very risky and very expensive. I don't think they've done something like that yet?

It would be 6 years (3 years between the first and second and second and third assuming the first one is already made) and you only really need them for the first film, it sounds like. They're probably *planned* for the next two sequels but they aren't a mission critical part of it like Luke or Leia missing from ROTJ would be.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Piedmon Sama posted:

They are making the Hobbit movies at the rate of one a year and that is probably why I thought the cgi in them was very uneven

If the Hobbit is shot anything like LotR was, they can only keep up the pace because like 90% of the trilogy was already shot before they started post on TUJ.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As pointed out, this is the logic of the dark side: If people are 'weak', it is because they are of inferior stock. Only those genetically predisposed to it can be Jedi, and even they must be indoctrinated at an early age so that the institution can keep them in line.

In the prequels, both the Jedi and Sith share this type of racist thought, tied to their love of power. The Republic's multiculturalism has an undercurrent of white supremacism - note Padme's smirk as she manipulates the stupid Gungans.

Again, you can't put the cart before the horse; what is the force? What is its light side?

If the light side is read as the Holy Spirit, as it must be, then 'force sensitivity' is just a nonsensical term for trustworthiness, honesty, and all the other qualities that make one a good Christian revolutionary.

When fans cannot understand 'trust' except as a videogame mechanism, it's like that comic where Patrick Stewart bemoans the fact that Trekkies cannot understand empathy except as a racial superpower.

In this analogy, is every sentient being a potential Jedi? That is, fully realized in the Force? As with Christ's mission of freeing all mankind from sin (the Dark side)?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

redshirt posted:

In this analogy, is every sentient being a potential Jedi? That is, fully realized in the Force? As with Christ's mission of freeing all mankind from sin (the Dark side)?

Christ's mission is interesting in that it is impossible. There's a reason they crucified him. Can total, ultimate, universal love ever 'win' against people whose own ideology already opposes it? What if there really is an objective evil? The simple answer, one it's hard to arrive at if you simply want to love everyone, is to kill those people - while loving them. Darth Vader is the smartest character in the series. Even though his son's gesture is what awakens him to the truth of being a Jedi and the all-loving nature of peace, he's still practical enough to throw the people who threaten this love down a mineshaft. It would be nice if everyone stopped fighting, but sometimes life's best solutions require it anyway. Luke is both the 'best' Jedi in the series, the most 'true' Jedi, and also the least practical. If there were ever Jedi like him, they quickly started operating like the ones in the Prequels for their own survival and procreation, creating the Catholic Chur- I mean, the Jedi Order.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

Darth Vader is the smartest character in the series.

Darth Vader was a higher mid-ranking SS Lieutenant, a brutally efficient shock trooper who could also command respect among the lower ranking troops and officers.

At the time of the original Star Wars, he was still largely under the direct control of Grand Moff Tarkin, a much more calculating and brooding sort of man.

Leia made fun of him to his face, she called him a dog - the other high ranking officers had open disdain for what they considered (and I quote) 'Sorcerer's ways'. They didn't stop poo poo talking him till Vader had to force choke one of them. Even then Tarkin reprimanded Vader for it.

Making him space jesus takes the fun out of it :(

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

But Jesus was the ultimate comedian. I'm the son of God, guys, hey check this out! Oh no, turns out I'm gonna die horribly, only for people to carry around pictures of it for thousands of years! *dies, symbolically rises from the dead as people do good things in his idiot name for the rest of time*

Edit: VVV I would probably do something about North Korea, but your choice is better.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 13, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Why can't we just pretend the prequels never happened? I wish I could go back in time, this is the one thing I would change; nothing other then the original trilogy would have ever come out. And they would never have been updated.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
But then you would have to prevent all the EU, which means you would have to prevent Star Wars from becoming popular, which is impossible because it's awesome.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Why can't we just pretend the prequels never happened? I wish I could go back in time, this is the one thing I would change; nothing other then the original trilogy would have ever come out. And they would never have been updated.

This is what I do. Have you ever heard of Harmy? Get the Harmy versions of the original Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back (make sure it's the latest release!)

Do yoga. Forget about your anger towards the prequels and forget everything you know about Star Wars. It was all a dream.

Put them on and watch them. It made me fall in love with Star Wars again. It really, really did. Thank you Harmy!

This is also why I don't care either way about the new one, haha, I am truly a pinnacle of human enlightenment

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

I said come in! posted:

But then we wouldn't be able to watch the Republic fall apart and see the Jedi look dumbfounded and get shot while the Sith manipulate everyone and everything.

I'm down with the lack of updating for the OT though.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

I said come in! posted:

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that an "Episode" film (i.e. skywalker arc) would be released every two years, with standalone spin-off films (e.g. the wacky adventures of Dengar and IG-88) released in the years in-between.

The first standalone film will explore Boba Fett and is currently being penned by Kasdan.

Basically, Disney are demanding their own never-ending Marvel-type franchise with a tentpole every summer until the heat death of the Universe.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Although I don't like the prequels themselves, I appreciate what they add to the original trilogy - far more, in fact, than most actual additions that have been made to the original trilogy.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Although I don't like the prequels themselves, I appreciate what they add to the original trilogy - far more, in fact, than most actual additions that have been made to the original trilogy.

Despite some serious pacing issues and some questionable bits of character development ("What have I done?!" You know exactly what you did, whiner) I feel that Episode 3 is a solid entry to the series in its own right.

But of course I'm also a nerd for subtext and head-canon so I watch it and read between the lines trying to make out motivations not directly alluded to via dialogue. For instance, I'm downright convinced that at the end Obi-Wan was being a giant dick and Anakin was giving him every opportunity to defeat him and end his emotional suffering. But instead of picking up on Anakin's silent plea for help Obi-wan just slaughtered the fucker and left him to burn. Anakin could've destroyed Obi-wan had he really wanted to. He was trying to avoid that and wanted to lose and it led to his father-figure cutting off his limbs.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
^^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqSlaMME-Mk

• Locked thread