Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Levitate posted:

[INSERT NAME OF ROGUELIKE HERE] sure punishes the gently caress out of you for being impatient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No, in Sil opening anything is a perception check. You require SOME points in them to open a chest even after 1000 turns. I just think that after you open it you roll again against the trap, and if you've been spamming for a few hundred turns since your perception sucks you'll likely fail that one too and take damage. High perception is honestly really really useful, I'd rather risk low will on a lot of chars.

It's spelt out in the Manual iirc but I don't have it on this comp

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

andrew smash posted:

a crit out of nowhere from an orc champion, cut me from like 25 hp to dead.

I'm not very good at Sil, but it really doesn't seem like a good idea to be in melee range of an orc champion on 25 hp - it's not exactly out of nowhere, those guys hit like trucks :)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Unormal posted:

:words: about CoQ spinoff

This sounds really good. I imagine you wouldn't want to recreate the original game, so I thought it might be interesting to make this one more freeform, cutting down on the linear setpieces and progression. Basically, give us a simple goal like most roguelikes do and let the player do his/her thing.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Unormal when are we going to be able to buy Sproggiwood? I want to give you my :10bux: already!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I had a good player going in Sil and then turned around a blind corner right into a special orc that I didn't want to go face to face with so I tried to back off into a hallway I already cleared and then an orc thief appeared at the other end and I was done hosed. That's the frustrating part about rougelikes, I"m not really sure I could have done something different...maybe, but sometimes bad poo poo just happens

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

_jink posted:

ya there are lots of interesting challenges involved :sweatdrop:

this is a rough mockup I was messing with to see how you could do things like doors, large objects 'clipping' their tile, relative object size(separate ground sprite/inventory sprite for items?)(small enemies still use large tiles to show detail?) etc

here it is in pure 2 color. Cool vibe, but any negative space being transparent is kinda bizarre.

Actually, this. This is more what I expected ADOM tiles to be like, granted with a few more colors and maybe a little more detail, but this was the general look and aesthetic I always imagined.

Those look really nice, by the way. I love the minimalism and the sepia tones.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

andrew smash posted:

Is it possible to force chests open in sil or are you poo poo out of luck if you haven't been pumping perception?

You can use a staff of freedom or song of freedom.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Unormal when are we going to be able to buy Sproggiwood? I want to give you my :10bux: already!

As soon as we're done with all the cut-scenes, dungeon balance, and UI Polish. :gonk:

Probably Aprilish, but we're going to start inducting real Beta players this month.

Lordfrikk posted:

This sounds really good. I imagine you wouldn't want to recreate the original game, so I thought it might be interesting to make this one more freeform, cutting down on the linear setpieces and progression. Basically, give us a simple goal like most roguelikes do and let the player do his/her thing.

Yeah, our current thinking is to give it in a much more restrained, focused scope; essentially the dungeon-diving of a single buried arcology, with a lot of detail, vs a sprawling, and somewhat unfocused, open world game.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 11, 2014

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Levitate posted:

That's the frustrating part about rougelikes, I"m not really sure I could have done something different...maybe, but sometimes bad poo poo just happens

I go back and forth with them.

They're easily one of my favorite genres of games, and I almost always enjoy games with rogueish elements.

But at the same time they can be loving infuriating. I find Brogue almost intolerable (despite considering it to be really well designed), I quit playing FTL (same), and I really don't like Crawl's early game.

Generally I take multi-month breaks, and I have an annual tradition of delving heavily around christmas (got my first 15 rune crawl win this year :neckbeard:).

It's very difficult to make a game hard enough to be genuinely challenging while not also including the possibility of bullshit killing you in a manner that feels unfair.

People do have very high win % on very difficult roguelikes though, sometimes even chaining back to back wins, so its definitely possible to minimize the impact of the rng with good play - but reaching that point takes a lot of time.

After my first ascension in Nethack, I won multiple classes in very short order - I had 'cracked' the game, and it was obvious how to proceed. But those skills definitely dull over time, I can barely remember item interactions now :v:

Honestly I think I enjoy the wussier roguelikes more as I get older. Stuff like One Way Heroics might not be as satisfying as my first Nethack, ADOM, or Crawl victory, but its also way more approachable, fun, and I'm far quicker to recommend a game like OWH to friends or new players.

I'm still waiting for a kickass gauntlet roguelike and a kickass fps roguelike. Both could be amazing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It depends on the game. From what I understand Nethack is very nearly deterministic in the hands of a really good player, but I would never say that about Crawl, for instance.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
I've been playing TowerClimb recently and just finished Chapter 1 of the beta (and there's still the bonus 100-floor mode left). It gives me exactly the same feeling of needing to focus completely on the game and manage resources properly to win as a good roguelike, but it also has nice (albeit low-res) graphics, great music and satisfying platforming. On the downside, the controls could be improved some, as it's a bit annoying having to hold down the run button to keep hold of things. You should buy this game if you like platformers even a little bit, especially since it's only $5.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Has anyone tried the "roguelike-like" piracy simulator Pixel Piracy (http://www.piracysim.com)? You control a pirate captain and his crew and do pirate-y things like plundering and ship capturing. The videos I have seen on youtube seem fairly interesting.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Unormal posted:

As soon as we're done with all the cut-scenes, dungeon balance, and UI Polish. :gonk:

CoQ is probably my favorite newer roguelike, so I will give you my money as soon as you're willing to take it. Not just because I really love CoQ (and that 2.5 color tileset), but because the commercial roguelike space has been... not great. At least not great where non-hybrid roguelikes are concerned. Dungeons of Dredmor is pretty and has personality, but the tactical game isn't all that interesting. Then there's that Kerberos game the Pit, which is tactically more interesting, but doesn't look or sound as good and just feels like a poor clone of DoomRL.

I know you guys know how to make a game fun and challenging, which is something that commercial roguelikes generally don't do very well, and you know how to make a game that just oozes atmosphere, which is something that most traditional free roguelikes don't do. I'm not saying that to suck up for a beta invite or anything since I'm going to be starting on a CS degree this spring in addition to my full-time job as a professional accountant/fraud investigator, so I probably wouldn't have time to be a very good tester, but I know a lot of people feel the same way about your company as I do, and I genuinely think you guys are working on something special.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

CoQ is probably my favorite newer roguelike, so I will give you my money as soon as you're willing to take it. Not just because I really love CoQ (and that 2.5 color tileset), but because the commercial roguelike space has been... not great. At least not great where non-hybrid roguelikes are concerned. Dungeons of Dredmor is pretty and has personality, but the tactical game isn't all that interesting. Then there's that Kerberos game the Pit, which is tactically more interesting, but doesn't look or sound as good and just feels like a poor clone of DoomRL.

I know you guys know how to make a game fun and challenging, which is something that commercial roguelikes generally don't do very well, and you know how to make a game that just oozes atmosphere, which is something that most traditional free roguelikes don't do. I'm not saying that to suck up for a beta invite or anything since I'm going to be starting on a CS degree this spring in addition to my full-time job as a professional accountant/fraud investigator, so I probably wouldn't have time to be a very good tester, but I know a lot of people feel the same way about your company as I do, and I genuinely think you guys are working on something special.

Thanks for the kind words. We over-reached a bit in Sproggiwood's initial scope, and had to scale back the town portion to serve the adventure mode, which worked out to a much better result, but I'd have loved to do more with the town portion. It's a pretty different game than CoQ, being a really streamlined mobile game meant for short-duration play sessions. So, I hope we don't put off too many CoQ fans with such a dramatic shift in gameplay, but we're really trying to reach for broader accessibility and a really "pocket" play-style. I really dig Sproggiwood's plot and setting, so even with its very different play-style, I think people who appreciate CoQ's tone and setting will enjoy Sproggiwood's storyline.

We're slowly getting better at scoping the games before we make them. In about 50 or 60 more games we'll have it all figured out, I'm sure. :D

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

We're slowly getting better at scoping the games before we make them. In about 50 or 60 more games we'll have it all figured out, I'm sure. :D

Hah, here's to that.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Glad you like Qud. Even though Sproggiwood is a much simpler game, like Unormal said, we're working to make sure it's tactically challenging and fun. In scaling the town back we know that the game is going to rest on its tactical chops.

We've also grown quite attached to Sproggi.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It depends on the game. From what I understand Nethack is very nearly deterministic in the hands of a really good player, but I would never say that about Crawl, for instance.

you say that, but there's been multiple players able to win 20+ games in a row with different species/classes every game.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

German Joey posted:

you say that, but there's been multiple players able to win 20+ games in a row with different species/classes every game.

Well we should make the point that they are far far more cautious than most players when they are on a streak. :v:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Most players can't recognize when they should be cautious.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sample Screenshot of the new Unreal World tiles

Looks quite good!

Reminds me of Dink Smallwood. In a way that is not bad.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

idiotmeat posted:

Has anyone tried the "roguelike-like" piracy simulator Pixel Piracy (http://www.piracysim.com)? You control a pirate captain and his crew and do pirate-y things like plundering and ship capturing. The videos I have seen on youtube seem fairly interesting.

I'm grabbing it now. Videos look good and the Steam forums aren't a steaming pile of "wah, this early access game is bullshit" complaints - which is highly unusual.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Most players can't recognize when they should be cautious.

I find playing at that level of alertness constantly kind of draining honestly.

Although playing roguelikes to relax is probably slightly silly as well :v:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kinda weird how little community there is for roguelikes considering how many people play them. There's here and Bay12 and that's about it for finding other people who play.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's kinda weird how little community there is for roguelikes considering how many people play them. There's here and Bay12 and that's about it for finding other people who play.

r/roguelikes is a pretty popular subreddit as far as they go.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Beamed posted:

r/roguelikes is a pretty popular subreddit as far as they go.

You must subscribe to some very small subreddits if you think that's a big or active one.

Ghost Toast
Nov 4, 2005

Sil is pretty much the ideal roguelike for me in terms of gameplay, difficulty, and lore (being a LotR nerd), but I can only play for a little bit before the ASCII really starts to grind on me.

Saw earlier in the thread that there's a tiles version upcoming in a new version? Any date set on that? Seriously if Sil even had something like Crawl's tiles, I'm not sure I'd even install other games on my laptop.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sample Screenshot of the new Unreal World tiles

Looks quite good!

These are not good tiles. I hope there's a grid overlay, because I have no idea what squares are being occupied by what in this screenshot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

These are not good tiles. I hope there's a grid overlay, because I have no idea what squares are being occupied by what in this screenshot.
Especially the grizzly bear.

You know something you'd want to know EXACTLY how far away from you are.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

God Mode posted:

Sil is pretty much the ideal roguelike for me in terms of gameplay, difficulty, and lore (being a LotR nerd), but I can only play for a little bit before the ASCII really starts to grind on me.

Saw earlier in the thread that there's a tiles version upcoming in a new version? Any date set on that? Seriously if Sil even had something like Crawl's tiles, I'm not sure I'd even install other games on my laptop.

Theres been about one major update a year, and we just had one. Tiles is pretty big though, I don't know if I'd expect it that soon.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

TOOT BOOT posted:

You must subscribe to some very small subreddits if you think that's a big or active one.

I only have it and AskHistorians. It frightens me to consider delving deeper. :ohdear:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

TOOT BOOT posted:

there's the angband forums too.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

andrew smash posted:

there's the angband forums too.

And then Temple of the Roguelike

Anyone have some basic quick tips for Sil? I've been steadily getting a bit further each run but it's starting to cap out, enemies are just too hard to kill and too many of them. Apparently ALL THE ARMOR is kind of a bad thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There are big RL communities, but they're specific to the games. There aren't many general ones.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pladdicus posted:

And then Temple of the Roguelike

Anyone have some basic quick tips for Sil? I've been steadily getting a bit further each run but it's starting to cap out, enemies are just too hard to kill and too many of them. Apparently ALL THE ARMOR is kind of a bad thing.

I think debo made a good guide to getting to 400' consistently, but I'm not on that comp so you'll have to scroll back a dozen pages to find my c/p of it.

Nutshell:
2/4/4/4 is flexible/good
Pump melee/evasion and keep pumping
No seriously, shopping for perks will kill you

He described a light smithing build that's optimized to get past early game, that involves getting armoursmith + artistry then building a series of small objects with two improvements on their stats, ie a (+1)[1-5] Leather. Use longswords and medium armour, buy blocking if archers are roflstomping you, and don't be afraid to dive/reroll, since enemies give less and less xp the more you see them.

But seriously, keep pumping melee/evasion and don't get surrounded, that's most of what it's about. Once you get to 400' you have to start dying a whole lot as the enemy set gets a lot cooler

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Any suggestions for roguelikes that have a lot of 'discovery' and interaction? I've been playing a lot of TOME lately, which is fantastic, but I miss a lot of the item fun from Stone Soup (rare equipment, potions, scrolls, etc). I haven't played Nethack and that seems like one of the likely choices since apparently there's a ton of crazy stuff you can do. Is it something I could dive in and mess around with easily without much of a worry for actually winning?

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

The insane levels of item interaction and what you can do is arguably the core feature of Nethack. You have a level of freedom which I don't think any other roguelike quite reaches. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. You may want to look at one of the more recent forks of the game though (unnethack, nethack4, dynahack are the ones I can think of off the top of my head), which have a lot of quality-of-life improvements. Nethack4 is the most conservative in terms of what it changes (seems to focus more on usability than gameplay).

ADOM owes a lot to nethack so it also has a number of weird tricks, but it doesn't quite reach the same level. There are a surprising number of obscure strategies in nethack, and I've been told new ones are still discovered occasionally. That is remarkable for a game that hasn't seen any major design changes since the late 90's.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think it's kind of sad that Nethack was kind of abandoned, but to some extent, it had to happen - a lot of what makes Nethack Nethack is based on 20-30 year old dnd tropes and references that just aren't as meaningful today.

But at the same time, no one has stepped up to produce a Nethack successor, at least, not what I would consider one.

To some extent, I think the level of item interaction we see in Nethack is something that can be done far more easily in a text or even tile based game than any sort of 'modern' 3d environment.

Games like Minecraft, oddly enough, are probably closer to the spirit of world interaction than many other rpgs (even something like the elder scrolls, lauded for being 'freeform' and open world).

Nethack is definitely worth playing though, there is a lot of stuff that will make you smile or even laugh when you run into it. The absurdity of some of your deaths are pretty amazing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sil just got a quick bug fix release

quote:

- monster songs
- made Morgoth's Song of Piercing a bit easier to resist (+5 bonus)
- fixed Morgoth's Song score to 20
- it no longer increases by 5 when his crown comes off like his Will does
- the Song of Silence now reduces monsters' Song Score by a quarter of the Player's Song Score

- abilities
- reworked some of the pre-requisites for the Will Abilities
- notably Hardiness is less essential and Constitution is a bit harder to get
- added Parry as an alternate pre-req for Two Weapon Fighting
- increased the Song skill requirement for the point of Grace from 13 to 15

- smithing
- you can now try out creating any item without the required smithing abilities
- things that you can't do without an additional ability are shown in red
- there are no known bugs with smithing remaining
- modified the stat costs for horns (used to all cost grace)

- dungeon generation
- significantly more flexibility in vault generation
- vaults can now appear rotated as well as reflected
- vaults now can have flags for extra traps, webs, rotation, debugging
- improved trap placement
- now much more likely to appear in interesting places
- so it can now be worth actually searching for them in some cases
- chasms can no longer be generated before 150 ft
- (to make sure you can get to the guaranteed forge!)
- halved the chance of locked doors
- now 8% of all doors are locked, 4% are jammed

- dungeon features
- chasms
- staffs of freedom and song of freedom can now close chasms
- but the difficulty is extremely high:
- 20 + number of adjacent chasm squares for the staff
- 25 + number of adjacent chasm squares for the song
- it therefore tends to close in from the edges
- secret doors
- tunnelling into them now gives you a (random) closed door instead of a broken door
- to avoid it sometimes being better to not find a secret door than to find it
- broken doors
- changed their symbol to '.', so they are more distinct from open doors and less confusing

- objects
- made herbs of restoration a bit more common early

- artefacts
- made the new mithril artefacts (Starlight and Silverhand) more rare (as originally intended)

- bugfixes
- fixed two smithing bugs
- one had to do with re-choosing an enchantment after modifying the numbers
- one had to do with abilities disappearing or duplicating on artefacts
- fixed a terrible bug with the monster ability 'Exchange Places'
- which could cause you to be sent out of the dungeon if you killed the cat warrior who was exchanging
- removed one of the messages when automatically picking up a thrown/fired item
- fixed a bug where cancelling some but not all free attacks with a '!a' weapon didn't use up any time
- fixed a bug where Woven Themes was having the effect of the removed ability Unwavering Voice
- players were (again) getting the Opportunist free attack when an enemy was pushed with Knock Back
- no longer takes any time to tunnel if you aren't going to be successful
- i.e. it is more like realising you can't, than like trying and failing
- fleeing monsters can no longer get free attacks of any kind
- monsters that are frozen by song of mastery no longer get free attacks of any kind
- can now automatically identify the Ring of Barahir (and perhaps others) by the Ability it grants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Tome 235, I always have weird display errors where it won't update where my character is properly. I read a fix somewhere a bit ago but can't find it. Anyone know how to fix?