Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
This is why I wince every time there's some new hire who is "good with IT."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

sfwarlock posted:

This is why I wince every time there's some new hire who is "good with IT."

Even if they are/were former IT, there's much to be said about someone who thinks they know better being unable to stop loving with things.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If they're good at IT, hire them to be IT.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

"Good at IT", for most people, is "able to turn on a monitor and make sure it's plugged into a computer". 90% of people under the age of, say, 25-30 are "good at IT" to someone who grew up with typewriters.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

See, here's the issue.

There's various levels of "Good at IT" and I will explain them as I see them with the people I work with.

Level 0: Not good with IT - e.g. project managers, C-levels

Level 1: Can follow instructions when they bother to read them. can do simple tasks. e.g. a gifted user

Level 2: can follow a set of instructions for complex tasks, but has no idea what those instructions mean. Most dangerous level of "Good with IT" because of the problems they can cause if problems arise.

Level 3: can follow a set of instructions for complex tasks, and can understand basics of what they are doing. They can sometimes figure out ways around problems, but this is usually due to rote memorization. If major problems come up, they need guidance. This is my average coworker.

Level 4: Can write instructions for lower levels to follow. Has a general understanding of what's going on, but might not be up to date on best practices. Might not know the intricacies of other things, and might cause problems when dealing with more complex systems if left to their own devices.

Level 5: Achieves some level of mastery. Has detailed understanding of underlying systems, and understands intricacies. Understands or writes best practices.

The number of times someone at "Level 2" is in charge of IT scares the hell out of me. Most of my customers are at Level 2. These are the people that will blindly tell me that they need "Raid 0 for performance" and "it's ok because we'll have spare disks."

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

On the topic of users putting files in weird places, last week I was helping someone move from one computer to another. Somewhere along the line the message of "we'll help you copy everything you have saved on your C: drive" got misconstrued, so she copied everything on her desktop to the root of C: to "help us out". Fortunately Windows 7 default view only shows like four directories in the root of C: since everything else is hidden/system so it was easy enough to move everything off while leaving the important stuff behind

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

I had a supervisor who used to keep all his outlook PST files in 'C:/Documentsandsettings' on his Win7 machine. He was very upset when his old mail didn't get backed up and he had to replace his workstation. :v:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I have a user who archives his mail in the deleted items folder... having saved every such email he's received in this manner since... the 1990's.

Edit: To Clarify

EVERY piece of mail. Spam, Virus Emails, Scams, computer farts, HE HAS IT. And ABSOLUTELY flipped when his computer died requiring a replacement when the mail wasn't in his mailbox (Apparently 30GB of mail takes a long time to backload)

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 12, 2014

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm scared by the number of users who fill their cellphones up with apps and other crap, and when it needs to be replaced they have no idea what an Apple ID, iTunes, iCloud or the app store is.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:

evobatman posted:

I'm scared by the number of users who fill their cellphones up with apps and other crap, and when it needs to be replaced they have no idea what an Apple ID, iTunes, iCloud or the app store is.

This or when someone comes in with their ipad or iPhone and it's been disabled due to them typing in their 4 digit pass code incorrectly too many times. Of course they don't know why it's not working because the pass code they're typing in is correct and how dare you for saying it might not be.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

evobatman posted:

I worked tech support for Apple for just under a year. Their Apple ID is almost always their primary email (or if that doesn't work, "Did you have a different email address when you first got this iWhatever?") and the password is "You know how when you get an app from the app store, it asks for a password?" :ssh:

e: basically every person with an appleid issue I had was baffled by their account name being their email address' name without actually being their email so they just think it's their email address, so ask for that

President Ark fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 13, 2014

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

evobatman posted:

I have literally never got anything but confusion in response to "do you know your Apple ID?"

Even from people who have had an iPhone for 3-4 years.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
And now it's going to be the same thing with Windows 8 wanting you to use a Microsoft account for everything.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Entropic posted:

And now it's going to be the same thing with Windows 8 wanting you to use a Microsoft account for everything.

Yeah we're running into this at work with new users wondering why their corporate network login won't work on the MS Store.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just another reason I'm rolling out Meraki's MDM fast as I can. I'll take any additional control over those I can get.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a developer pulled me into his office.

:geno: Blackswordca! Why isn't Visual Studio 2012 installed on this workstation, I need it!
:raise: I installed it myself, its on there.
:geno: No its not, I cant find it!
:raise: *clicks start button and clicks on the folder marked "Visual Studio 2012"*

Then there was the awkward silence.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 13, 2014

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

blackswordca posted:

:geno: Blackswordca! Why isn't Visual Studio 2012 installed on this workstation, I need it!
:raise: I installed in myself, its on there.
:raise: *clicks start button and clicks on the folder marked "Visual Studio 2012"*

No desktop shortcut?

I get so many calls where "x isn't installed", when "x" is a web app/site, and "not installed" means "doesn't have a desktop shortcut".

A ticketing system came in! Landesk SD! And I get to administerististrate it! :emo:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

blackswordca posted:

:raise: I installed it myself, its on there.

This makes me cry because of the seven months I spent being sysadmin for a charity. This happened every day. Every single day.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I feel like I have to come in here and remind people that not all developers are blithering idiots, and some of us appreciate the rest of IT and the unique contributions you bring to a project. Because it's embarrassing to me when I hear stories of developers like this, or ones who hold their nose in the air when talking to support techs or admins.

(Also, Microsoft has changed its install folder scheme recently. It used to be that the start menu entry for VS would be "Microsoft Visual Studio 20whatever" but they've apparently recently dropped the "Microsoft," at least for 2013, so it's in a completely different location in the start menu. That could EXPLAIN the confusion, but it certainly doesn't excuse calling over a tech.)

Edit: I should mention that nearly all the job postings for developers I've ever read include "Detail-Oriented" as a bullet point on the requirements list. :rolleyes:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

evobatman posted:

"Oh I don't have one."

Yes, you absolutely have a password for your iTunes/iCloud/e-mail/whatever account.

tehloki posted:

I have literally never got anything but confusion in response to "do you know your Apple ID?"

Part of it is Apple's idiotic insistence that your user ID be an e-mail address, so people are always massively confused about exactly what they're signing into on their phone.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Che Delilas posted:

I feel like I have to come in here and remind people that not all developers are blithering idiots, and some of us appreciate the rest of IT and the unique contributions you bring to a project. Because it's embarrassing to me when I hear stories of developers like this, or ones who hold their nose in the air when talking to support techs or admins.

(Also, Microsoft has changed its install folder scheme recently. It used to be that the start menu entry for VS would be "Microsoft Visual Studio 20whatever" but they've apparently recently dropped the "Microsoft," at least for 2013, so it's in a completely different location in the start menu. That could EXPLAIN the confusion, but it certainly doesn't excuse calling over a tech.)

Edit: I should mention that nearly all the job postings for developers I've ever read include "Detail-Oriented" as a bullet point on the requirements list. :rolleyes:

Yeah, same here. Not all of us developers are blithering idiots. Sadly I knew plenty of people in my CS program that were this incompetent though. Personally I think that if you have to spend the entire time you are working in a project in the TA's office so you can get constant help you are not qualified to be a developer and need to pick a new major.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dick Trauma posted:

Just another reason I'm rolling out Meraki's MDM fast as I can. I'll take any additional control over those I can get.

I am pretty impressed with this as it is a "free feature" from having their other stuff. You do pay out that rear end for their stuff though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Inspector_666 posted:

Part of it is Apple's idiotic insistence that your user ID be an e-mail address, so people are always massively confused about exactly what they're signing into on their phone.

I almost prefer that. If you let them use anything they want, god only knows what they'll pick or whether they'll remember it. Everyone knows their email address and they're guaranteed to be unique, barring weird edge cases where a couple share an account or whatever.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Inspector_666 posted:

Far preferable to "well Lueser was taken so I used Lueser729197, because my kids were born in 91 and 97 and I was born in 72, but I'm never going to loving remember that, WHAT'S MY USERNAME, THIS IS YOUR FAULT"

tehloki posted:

On a daily basis, how frequently do you need to put in your Apple ID? Because I don't know about you, but I don't think it's asked me for mine since literally the day I set up the phone. The only reason I know it is because, as noted, it's my primary personal email address.

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
Sometimes the most resistance I face doesn't come from the user, but from other support groups in my company. For example- escalating tickets that come in. I rarely do so but when I have to do it I usually have to look up the group I want to send it to.

In this particular case it was regarding an issue with one of our home-brewed applications. I chatted the guy who I knew is the main Developer of this ~10 year old application and asked if he had a queue for his team in ServiceNow that I could send the ticket up to for issues with this application. His response- "? I don't know".

So I looked up his manager in AD and forwarded the ticket to that department. 10 minutes later I get a chat from that same Dev about the ticket (why would he tell me he doesn't know if his team has a ServiceNow ticket queue when he clearly knows how to check it?).

Anyway this is how the conversation went at that point-

Him: "It states clearly in the problem description that this is happening on newer builds, so this appears to be a hardware problem."

Me: "When new hardware/Operating Systems are deployed and our current applications don't work with said hardware, I would call that a software issue."

Him: *crickets*

Now I'm just waiting until the inevitable happens and he sends the ticket back to my team.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

guppy posted:

Everyone knows their email address

What kind of dream world do you live in?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Toxteth OGrady posted:

No desktop shortcut?

I get so many calls where "x isn't installed", when "x" is a web app/site, and "not installed" means "doesn't have a desktop shortcut".

A ticketing system came in! Landesk SD! And I get to administerististrate it! :emo:

Could be Remedy.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

Everyone knows their email address
GET BACK IN YOUR POD

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
On the subject of iPhone, I find that a lot of people confuse the SIM lock with the diffrent, 4 digit, code you have to enter after booting the device. And those two can be difficult to differentiate between over the phone, especially with clueless users.

And nobody ever knows their apple-ID. :v:

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Ursine Asylum posted:

On a daily basis, how frequently do you need to put in your Apple ID? Because I don't know about you, but I don't think it's asked me for mine since literally the day I set up the phone. The only reason I know it is because, as noted, it's my primary personal email address.

It pops up whenever I install an app.

Also: the users in question are frequently people I have sat down with, helped them create an apple ID with their work address, and asked them to take a note of it somewhere (and the password, if they absolutely must). I explain what their apple ID is, and what it's associated with. 2-3 months later, if they've broken their phone and are getting a replacement, they have no recollection of this whatsoever.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I find a lot of PC users don't even have a basic sense of what a program is, let alone a web browser or a mail client. I get a lot of "my computer is giving me an error" and trying to determine determine what program the error is coming from over the phone leads to much fundamental confusion over basic concepts. Luckily I can just say "if you want us to solve it, you'll have to bring it in to the shop."

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Multiple tickets come in.

Suss out that they are because the department that usually makes things go quietly in the background is backed up, so call center is getting calls and put in tickets.

These tickets are usually simple user error, but I notice one pervasive error and narrow it down to a date field being auto populated to the current date which doesn't play well with You can't have Date A be after Date B. Discuss with various people. Tell account manager on Friday why there's a back up, and also tell him hey, this weird error with Date A and B are because if Date A is left blank it's getting auto filled dunno when that started but let the users know if they are going to fill in Date B, have them put in Date A as well please ok thanks. (It really should allow for a NULL, neither is required)

That was Friday. Over the weekend more calls came in and the call center supervisor sends out an email about the issue copying a buncha people, and mentions one particular ticket.

I come in today and say, hey Call center person this is what I found out on Friday and by the way that one ticket was just user typing things in wrong not the Date Error. I told Account Manager to send out correspondence to the users saying please doubletriple check stuff to make everything work thanks. Replying all to the original email.

Call center supervisors' boss then sends out a super lovely snobby rear end reply about HOW DARE YOU insinuate that just because that one ticket was User Error that they all are user error fix the real issue!!

Account Manager replies "I spoke to department that usually makes things go quietly in the background and confirmed they get about 50 a day that are user error which is pretty much all of them, sorry they are backed up and you are getting calls I will send out the correspondence"

I dunno why this whole thing made me so angry. Probably since I busted my rear end going around to try to find out if this was an actual IT issue just to feel like I'm a piece of poo poo for telling them that it's user error. It's not even their users, it's the people who are calling in who are being sloppy.

Seriously, one of them entered in Palm Desert as "Pal Dessert" for an address.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Dead Cow posted:

Seriously, one of them entered in Palm Desert as "Pal Dessert" for an address.

So that's a video of a piece of cake in slightly higher resolution and with more consistent colour reproduction, but a lower framerate?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My manager has sent out an email asking for everyone who isn't in a certain call group to email him every time a corperate call gets through to them. Poor bastard, he's looking at roughly 5 emails a day from me alone.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

My manager has sent out an email asking for everyone who isn't in a certain call group to email him every time a corperate call gets through to them. Poor bastard, he's looking at roughly 5 emails a day from me alone.

Reply back and ask if a daily digest is ok.

e: only half-kidding

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

guppy posted:

I almost prefer that. If you let them use anything they want, god only knows what they'll pick or whether they'll remember it. Everyone knows their email address and they're guaranteed to be unique, barring weird edge cases where a couple share an account or whatever.

Not to pile on you or anything (ok, I guess i am) but I am seriously considering ditching my gmail account because TWO morons give out my email address as theirs. I get so much junk from them it's insane. "Are the puppies still available?" "No, I murdered them, I got hungry."

I was all set to move to an outlook.com email address, when I noticed that, even though I never used it, it was full of poo poo because some woman gave my email address out as her own.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I have well over a hundred people with my name giving out my address, two is a joke.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Lum posted:

So that's a video of a piece of cake in slightly higher resolution and with more consistent colour reproduction, but a lower framerate?

I was thinking some cake and pie being buddies but yours works to.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

nitrogen posted:

Not to pile on you or anything (ok, I guess i am) but I am seriously considering ditching my gmail account because TWO morons give out my email address as theirs. I get so much junk from them it's insane. "Are the puppies still available?" "No, I murdered them, I got hungry."

I was all set to move to an outlook.com email address, when I noticed that, even though I never used it, it was full of poo poo because some woman gave my email address out as her own.

Never respond to emails sent to your address by people who think it's somebody else. Just mark them all as spam and eventually they'll stop coming.

It's more evil, but less likely to keep you in a continuous state of communication with a bunch of random people you don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Mattavist posted:

I have well over a hundred people with my name giving out my address, two is a joke.

How much spam do your hundreds generate though? These two jackasses put my email address in craigslist ads, one in Australia, and one in Washington state. One guy sells puppies. The other sells cars. The guy in Washington sends Google at least 10-25 requests a day to try and reset "his" password, too.

• Locked thread