Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Endorph posted:

What if he's a ghost?

Then he's got rather substantial 1.3 buffs, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
Why both having played so much of the game just to let it die?

breadingbutter
Dec 28, 2013

by Ralp
Hopefully he'll find time to pick it up again.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
What gets me is the silence. If something awful happened to him, that's a tragic thing. But, people tell me that he still posts here, so presumably he's fine. If he's lost interest in the LP, then tell people and let them close the thread. It would be a pity, because it's nearly complete, but at least it's honest. Just stopping without a word due to boredom/indifference/more compelling projects is, for lack of a better term, unprofessional. I know that writing LPs is just a hobby, but it just seems like good manners.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

What gets me is the silence. If something awful happened to him, that's a tragic thing. But, people tell me that he still posts here, so presumably he's fine. If he's lost interest in the LP, then tell people and let them close the thread. It would be a pity, because it's nearly complete, but at least it's honest. Just stopping without a word due to boredom/indifference/more compelling projects is, for lack of a better term, unprofessional. I know that writing LPs is just a hobby, but it just seems like good manners.

You're totally right. I honestly hadn't realized it had been so long since I posted here. My bad, everyone.

On the bright side, you can expect an update later tonight.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

You're totally right. I honestly hadn't realized it had been so long since I posted here. My bad, everyone.

:aaaaa:

Seriously, though, good to see you back, man.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

I'm just glad you are well, Prufrock. I've literally had people disappear mid-LP or the like and found out that they died and, once, imprisoned.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

You're back! :neckbeard:

Looking forward to tonight's update.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Update, tonight! :f5:

Adding my voice to those ecstatic about your return Prufrock

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Episode 44: Capricorn
Part 2: Adramelk

Dycedarg Beoulve just admitted to murdering his father Balbanes so that he could take control of House Beoulve, hoping to guide it into a new position of power by supporting Duke Larg through the Lion War.

Upon hearing his unrepentant confession, our hero joined Zalbag Beoulve in striking down their older brother and his retinue. Unfortunately, at the moment of Dycedarg's death...

...the Capricorn stone emits an unholy radiance. We all know what that means.

The demon within the stone joins with Dycedarg's dying spirit to be reborn anew as Adramelk, Ghost of Fury.

Adramelk teleports Zalbag away with a golden pillar of light much like those that transformed Celia and Lede into their Ultima Demon forms.

Welcome to the fourth Lucavi battle. Unlike the previous two, this fight is a straight 5 vs. 1 brawl.

If you were smart in the previous fight, most of your team should still be decently buffed. If any wear off, go ahead and reapply them. You'll have a bit of time.

As with most Lucavi, it's a good idea to lower Adramelk's stats with the Knight's Break skills. This will help keep the incoming damage at a manageable level. It's also important for another reason...

Adramelk's packing Counter Magic as his Reaction skill, meaning he'll throw many of your attacks right back at your face.

Counter Magic hits a lot more things than you'd expect, too. And whatever it can't bounce back is absorbed by...

That's right, it's Golem. This powerful Summon was made NPC-only in 1.3 and acts as more of a boss gimmick now.

Golem creates a shield that will absorb a number of points of physical damage equal to the caster's Hit Points. Specifically, it blocks damage from the Attack, Jump, and Throw commands (and used to block the Archer's Charge command as well).

Effectively, it makes Adramelk almost impossible to damage with straight-on attacks, since you have to catch him with his shield down to do any actual harm. And of course if you use skills that get around Golem, you risk eating his Counter Magic.

This sounds pretty daunting, but there are a couple of ways around it, which we'll be seeing soon.

For now, though, Agrias is relegated to Dancing duties.

One of the benefits of Last Dance is that CT 00 gets around status immunities, which can be useful for buying a couple of extra turns every now and again.

Of course, to be effective, it has to fire when the enemy's CT is near-full, rather than near-empty...

As far as offensive skills go, Adramelk relies on several staple Black Magic spells, made more effective by his naturally-high MA and cast instantly via innate Non-Charge.

Fortunately, the map is pretty spacious, so it's not to difficult to stay spread out, forcing Adramelk to target only one of your units at a time. He's fast, but not fast enough to win a fight like that, as you can swamp him with simple action advantage.

While Golem blocks most forms of physical damage, there are, as mentioned, ways around it. One such method are the various sword skills, such as Meliadoul's Crush Punch, seen here.

Now, Adramelk can Counter Magic sword skills, but there's a catch to it: they all rely on the attacker's equipped weapon as part of their damage formula, and Adramelk doesn't have a weapon equipped.

What this means is that, even if Counter Magic fires, it's going to do damage roughly equal to Adramelk's PA score, somewhere in the low end of the double-digits. Sword skills are probably the safest way to deal damage in this fight.

Applying Haste isn't as crazy-good as raising Speed directly, but Yell is still a powerful MP-free buff, and because the strategy here is all about action economy, it's very useful.

In addition to offensive spells, Adramelk is actually quite the physical fighter. Not only does he hit for a helluva lot of damage bare-handed, he also has Two Swords to let him hit twice. He can drop pretty much any unit he can hit in a single round (though he can be foiled by Evasion).

But that's fine, really. He can spend as many turns K.O.-ing a single unit as he likes.

Like pretty much all the Lucavi, Adramelk also comes equipped with the status-focused Fear skillset.

His version includes Loss, seen here, which causes AoE Confusion; Seal, a single-target Petrification that we saw Velius use; and Despair 2, a wide AoE buff removal.

Loss is the one to watch out for because it can potentially cost you three or more actions, and makes for another good reason to stay spread out. If you do get tagged with it, having a way to remove the Confusion from multiple units at once will help.

This was actually something of a problem with several Lucavi fights in the base game as well. Even with significantly buffed Speed, a single unit just can't practically keep up with five enemies. I'm not entirely sure how you'd go about making this fight more challenging without adding some Archaic Demons or whatever.

It's pretty rare to see Demi 2 in this fight without loading up on elemental immunities, and even then Adramelk tends to prefer his status effects.

Other Final Fantasy titles address the 1 vs. many boss fight in various ways, but it rarely seems to offer a satisfying level of challenge.

Giving the boss extra actions for each player character action has sort of worked in the past, but isn't necessarily something that FFT could handle well. With 1.3, the Lucavi simply have very powerful actions instead.

I do think that this fight does handle the “punishes certain actions with nasty counters” school of boss design pretty well, though it might be a little more challenging if sword skills weren't so ubiquitous by this point in the game.

Adramelk's Counter Magic is certainly more interesting than Queklain's Critical Quick, which almost forced you to debuff his Brave score down to nothing in order to prevent it, or Zalera's Faith Up which you had no real reason to care about.

You can see one of the biggest weaknesses with 1.3's boss design right here: the Ruin skills. They can basically reduce every solo fight to a matter of staying alive until you land enough of them, which isn't all that much fun.

However, absent any other status effects, they're really the only way for the player to try and level the playing field. On top of that, it often seems like some bosses were designed with a couple rounds of stat breaks in mind. I wouldn't say that 1.3 requires stat breaks, but it certainly encourages them.

Adramelk's Speed is high enough that he'll occasionally get almost back-to-back turns when the ATB lines up. Something to be on the lookout for, because you really don't want to start slipping this late in the fight.

Be sure to keep your health topped off and maintain your buffs.

Big AoE moves like Confuse 2 are a good thing on bosses, as they help overcome the action disadvantage by letting the boss affect multiple units at a time. Queklain, way back at the end Chapter 1, made good use of powerful AoEs. Unfortunately for Adramelk, the inside of Igros Castle is considerably roomier than the Lionel chapel.

Another word of warning: this fight is looooong. Adramelk has buckets and buckets of HP, so MP users can run out of gas fairly quickly. Item can keep that from happening.

If you want to use magical offense, breaking Adramelk's MA down to reasonable levels is necessary, lest you die to Lucavi-strength Counter Magics that do more damage than your initial cast. Double-digit counters are much more manageable.

And here's Seal, the instant-petrification classic. It's only single-target, so it's no worse than watching Adramelk double-punch your units to death; just be sure to bring some way to remove Petrify, or load up on immunity.

Should take just a bit more damage...

(Not shown: twenty more minutes of grinding Adramelk down.)

There we go!

I never cared much for Adramelk's dying lines in the original translation.

War of the Lions posted:

Adrammelech: Too soon this mortal coil did I assume! Angel of Blood, High
Seraph...come too late...

And with that, Adramelk, Angel of Wrath, formerly Dycedarg Beoulve, explodes into green light, leaving only the Capricorn stone behind.

Our hero muses on the ending of his family name. The eldest son is dead, the younger is gone to who knows where, and the bastard and his bastard sister have been declared heretics and murderers.

None of that matters now, though. We've got a sister to rescue! (Again!)

And a trophy for our labors.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 12, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's great to see you back, Prufock. I was kind of scared you just decided this was too much of a pain in the rear end to do (honestly I wouldn't play 1.3 with a gun to my head, it just looks incredibly tedious).

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
I saw a strat that greatly speeds up this fight, leveraging the strength of Martial Arts' PA growth at higher levels and the good compat Orlandu has with Adramelk. Make Cid a dual wielding puncher, give him Hamedo and just enough HP to survive Adramelk's first swing (this causes Adramelk's AI to prioritize punching Orlandu in the face). Keep the others spread out and Adramelk will waste many a turn getting two-fist Hamedo'd, and as a bonus if he does cast Golem then Hamedo attacks ignore the damage shield.

One can also add Chameleon Robe wearing casters slinging Holy to speed things up.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 12, 2014

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm just glad you are well, Prufrock. I've literally had people disappear mid-LP or the like and found out that they died and, once, imprisoned.
Seriously? Even for the famed LP Curse, that's pretty rough.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

Seriously? Even for the famed LP Curse, that's pretty rough.

Oh, I wouldn't make light of that, trust me. Thus my paranoia and concern.

To be fair, most LPers don't keep a very regular pace, but when it's months like it was here, I start looking meaningfully at the panic button. The only LP writer I can recall who keeps a really impressively frequent schedule is ddgenha, who did a great LP of the three Gold Box RPG's set in Krynn which are now archived, and just finished the two Savage Frontier Gold Box games as well.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glad to see this is back!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Poor Zalbag, all set up to become a party member and gets unceremoniously offed by Adramelk :(

Well, I guess we've got enough sword skillers as it is.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Alacron posted:

Poor Zalbag, all set up to become a party member and gets unceremoniously offed by Adramelk :(

Well, I guess we've got enough sword skillers as it is.

It's worse in Vanilla, since the AI is dumber and you'll likely never actually see him use his swordskills.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Zalbag was still a fascist dick, he just probably wouldn't have killed his father and joined in with the church in a plot to control the nation. "Better than Dycedarg" does not a good person make. That being said, hell yeah more swordskillers.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Remember: he was the one who gave the go-ahead for Argath to shoot through Tietra. That being said, I honestly would've loved the ensuing awkwardness if he'd been able to join the party, then ran into Delita shortly thereafter.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Hooray, I'm glad this is back! And yeah, I wish Zalbag could have actually joined you here. Prior to playing this hack, I was always curious about his swordskills since he rarely, if ever used them in vanilla. That said, I still really like his sprite, to the point I've considered using FFtastic to hack it onto one of my generics or something, Formation screen glitches be damned!

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

How interesting would it have been if Zalbag joined the party and then Delita immediately stabbed him in the next cutscene?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

At the very least, come back in corpse form again and teach Ramza his sword skills as a sort of redemption.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I always thought it was kind of weird that Ramza never gets any of the sword skills.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Alkarl posted:

Hooray, I'm glad this is back! And yeah, I wish Zalbag could have actually joined you here. Prior to playing this hack, I was always curious about his swordskills since he rarely, if ever used them in vanilla. That said, I still really like his sprite, to the point I've considered using FFtastic to hack it onto one of my generics or something, Formation screen glitches be damned!

What glitches? As someone who put the class+sprite in my own party on my own PS1, his sprite works perfectly.

...Golem as boss-only. Bleh. What a foul way to do it.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I always thought it was kind of weird that Ramza never gets any of the sword skills.

At the beginning of the game it talks about how Balbanes reached the rank of 'heavenly knight' so I kind of assumed that was what Ramza was gonna become or something.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Regalingualius posted:

Remember: he was the one who gave the go-ahead for Argath to shoot through Tietra. That being said, I honestly would've loved the ensuing awkwardness if he'd been able to join the party, then ran into Delita shortly thereafter.

One thing I've kind of wondered is if Zalbag is really to blame there. He never actually says "Shoot the hostage", so one could theorize that instead of telling Algus to shoot Teta to get rid of the distraction, he meant for Algus to aim at Golagros, but Algus shoots Teta because he's a dick and has to make his noble-peen bigger she's merely a commoner and thus of no consequence.

Granted, as I recall, Zalbag never really shows any kind of remorse or mentions it at all, so who knows?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bloodly posted:

What glitches? As someone who put the class+sprite in my own party on my own PS1, his sprite works perfectly.

Golem is basically the most overpowered spell in the game because it makes the AI poo poo its pants and desperately try to remove the buff, to the point that mages run up and beat you with their rods and staves instead of casting spells that would actually kill you.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Yeah, it's weird when you play it, but in retrospect it's kind of a neat thematic thing, especially since Delita gets the big, flashy set, the one everyone thinks of first when you say "sword skill" or "swordskiller."

Still makes me wish this was like Tactics Ogre and we got a Law path, though. It'd be neat to have some part of the game let you turn Ramza into the flashy kind of god-killer.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Bloodly posted:

For some reason he shows up in my formation screen as a discolored chapter 1 Ramza. Works fine in combat and whatnot though. But it could be that I kept doing it prior to his appearance here? :iiam:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

To be fair, most LPers don't keep a very regular pace, but when it's months like it was here, I start looking meaningfully at the panic button. The only LP writer I can recall who keeps a really impressively frequent schedule is ddgenha, who did a great LP of the three Gold Box RPG's set in Krynn which are now archived, and just finished the two Savage Frontier Gold Box games as well.

Nobody has poo poo on Grey Hunter. Daily updates for pretty much the real time duration of WWII.

And I knew Golem was good, but I didn't know it was so good it turned the AI into mush headed idiots.

And thematically I think it works better with Ramza not being one of the Sword Skill classes. He's the poor schmuck stuck in the middle of a war by circumstance and for his ideals, not the chivalry or rules of the various orders that train the skills.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Bloodly posted:

What else would've been a good way to balance Golem? It just breaks the AI; no way around it. It was probably intentional so that it wouldn't feel useless to the player (much like the AI ignoring reaction abilities), but in a patch that tries to balance the game and provide a challenge, Golem had to go.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

What else would've been a good way to balance Golem? It just breaks the AI; no way around it. It was probably intentional so that it wouldn't feel useless to the player (much like the AI ignoring reaction abilities), but in a patch that tries to balance the game and provide a challenge, Golem had to go.

The only good answer would be to rework the AI to handle it better, but that's very risky as it's easy to introduce horrible bugs or break the AI worse, and is beyond the scope of a difficulty patch besides. Not sure if I'm talking out my rear end here but I think Archael was against doing ASM-hacky stuff and especially tweaking the AI. He just wanted to give it better tools to work with.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Bufuman posted:

Granted, as I recall, Zalbag never really shows any kind of remorse or mentions it at all, so who knows?
Zalbag only has like one scene where he talks to Ramza for any length of time after Chapter 1, and at that point Ramza is pushing his own agenda on him. He never even sees Delita again after that, I think. If he ever apologized for anything it'd have to be somewhere the story doesn't show, so apparently he didn't even say "yo sorry about your best friend and his sister" since at that point both of them would've thought Delita died too.

Basically Algus was right, nobody gives a poo poo about commoners. This is made marginally more clear in WOTL with the extra Wiegraf scene, but it seems like the Templars were taking advantage of this fact to recruit commoners like Wiegraf and Delita. Meaning evil demons are more socially progressive than human nobles. Why, it's almost like man is the real monster... :tinfoil:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The base plan of the Church is to bring the kingdom(s) under the control of the church via popular uprising, heroic legends, and so forth. They're hoping to create their own 'Zodiac Braves' to inspire the people in this time of civil war and everything sucking worse and worse. They have zero idea of what the stones are actually capable of, nor that some of the weirder stuff like demons and superpowers has truth in it. It's hard to say whether it's just a power-grab or they genuinely want to help a bit. The two tend to mesh together as a matter of course.

The Demons don't care one way or the other, as long as they get to work undisturbed, get Altima into the world, and unleash their full powers upon the world. What they intend afterwards is anyone's guess. Anyway, it's not that they're working together properly.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't the church also fundamentally unaware of what they're worshiping? It'd be like if the Catholic church was, in reality, just a lie made up by Shiva to control the affairs of Earth.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

As far as they're concerned, it's the Germonik Scriptures that they regard to be the truth(Ajora's a rabble-rouser more than a saint).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bloodly posted:

As far as they're concerned, it's the Germonik Scriptures that they regard to be the truth(Ajora's a rabble-rouser more than a saint).

I think most of the church is unaware of the Germonik scriptures - hence Simon being shocked by what he discovered, and the fact that they weren't locked away or burned already, since they basically say "everything the church believes in is a big lie."

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Figured this might be of interest to the thread: there's a new Kickstarter out for a tactics game, Unsung Story. It's being run by Playdek, who have made a name for themselves as one of the top two board game port publishers on iOS. Why do you care?
  • It's the story of the heroes of a long war who are ignored by history. Sounds familiar.
  • It's a class-based tactical RPG.
  • They're working with this Japanese dude named Yasumi Matsuno, and if they hit a stretch goal, he's going to let his friend Hitoshi Sakimoto do some music stuff. (They're the guys who made FFT, as well as Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story, and FF12.)
I've never backed a video game Kickstarter before, but I'm excited about this one already. I've got a few Playdek apps on my iPad/iPhone. Their UI design is only okay, but they're otherwise drat good.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

PFlats posted:

Figured this might be of interest to the thread: there's a new Kickstarter out for a tactics game, Unsung Story. It's being run by Playdek, who have made a name for themselves as one of the top two board game port publishers on iOS.

Man, this loving rocks! I've never KickStarted anything before, but as soon as I get my next paycheck I know where a slice of it is going. To be able to play a fresh Matsuno TRPG...drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I have finally been broken on Kickstartering a game project.

• Locked thread