Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ShadeofDante posted:

I really wish there was an official soundtrack out for FFXIV: ARR. I'm trying to find the track that plays when you fight Ultima Weapon, not the final form, but the first time you fight it. Such an amazing OST though.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dude789 posted:

I don't know. The FF6 OST was able to make what would be a creepy and gross plot have emotional impact almost entirely due to the song that played during the relevant scenes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzPDsBNtsw

Also, as a bonus it completely blew my mind when I found out that t was a slower remix of Locke's Theme with different instrumentation.

This is awesome.

See, I never finished VI. I started it about a year or two ago then due to my ADHD I kinda just wandered off. So I'm sure there's a ton more in the way of great music but I guess I missed ma lot of it.

The two pieces of music I remember really standing our are Terra's Theme, because of dat opening, and the Zozo theme. Everything about Zozo stands out in my mind. Kefka was whatever to me but give me more Zozo.

I believe i stopped playing right after that first fight with Setzer in yur party. It was after the Factory, right?

Really, more than characters or music, what stood out to me in VI was the scenery. It was a SNES game but goddam all the areas were beautiful and I could look at them all day. I'm used to just being whatever about pre-3D FF environments as neither 2 nor 4 really stood out to me, but VI was a piece of art.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Holidae posted:

I don't know if it's a blessing or shameful that FFXIV: ARR is doing a better job of telling a Final Fantasy-style story than any of the mainline games have done in over a decade.

EDIT: Wait, no, scratch that. FFXII did alright. So almost 8 years, then.

Let's be forthright: FFXIV's story is nothing groundbreaking. It's got some nuance, a few emotionally affecting moments, and a few spots of seriously clever writing, but overall it's standard goofy JRPG fantasy. The thing is, it makes itself abundantly clear that it is nothing more than that, and what it lacks in depth it compensates for with scope. They didn't leave an inch of the game world unpolished, and the whole thing feels cohesive, self-aware, and altogether just right.

And to be sure, the hi-def 3D visuals and detailed characters XIV has seem pretty laughable spouting the cheesy lines that they do, but none of it would feel out of place in the games on the SNES and PSX that really established the FF series and got so many people hooked. Naturally, most people scrutizing the narrative aren't going to think of it in those terms, but I cannot help but imagine that when they sat down to write the story content, they went "okay, pretend this is an SNES game" and went from there.

If there's any hope at all for FFXV and future games in the series, it's that they really learn from the success of XIV's relaunch, that the audience for these games appreciates it when they spend as much time (or more) on delivering narratives that are actually fun to advance as well as well-conceived settings that need not be completely serious and sober. While the XIV team certainly knows this by now, since they're neck-deep in it and shall continue to be for the foreseeable future, let's hope the competence has spread.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Man, the first time I heard that theme, it got me pumped. The funny thing was, I was kind of expecting a retro battle theme just because the first place it plays happens in a pretty random scene that feels Final Fantasy as hell to me for some reason (rescuing the random woman from that rear end in a top hat merchant in Ul'dah).

I've been playing FFXIV for a week or so now, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. As mentioned, the music is great (I'm partial to the starting areas of La Noscea myself) and the graphics look great. Kind of wish I had time to actually enjoy the cutscenes in dungeons (the last dungeon I did was my first run, and after the cutscene ended I saw my party went on to fight the boss without me). Otherwise, fun game with tons of stuff to do, and it doesn't hurt that you can level every class/job on one character.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Most boss fight chambers are locked in a way that the players cant engage the bosses before you finish watching a cutscene. This might not be the case for the repeatable boss ones but the big story ones work like this. So dont be afraid to sit back and watch story scenes in dungeons.

ShadeofDante posted:

I really wish there was an official soundtrack out for FFXIV: ARR. I'm trying to find the track that plays when you fight Ultima Weapon, not the final form, but the first time you fight it. Such an amazing OST though.
Yeah, the issue with the game is that they keep adding more tracks to the list as the patches come out so they cant really make a complete sound track while the game is in progress. Before Meteor is a compilation of 1.0 tracks though, we might get something like that once another big milestone is hit like the first expansion.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 12, 2014

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like the remixed FF3 songs they added with Crystal Tower, especially the boss remix. I really hope that the whole CT line ends with a fight against some manifestation of the Cloud of Darkness.

I also want the FF6 dungeon to come.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

QuantaStarFire posted:

remixed FF3 songs

As if I needed any more reason to get to L50.

Though all the post-content stuff still sounds overwhelming, especially since I'm kinda new at MMORPGs at general. It'll probably make more sense once I actually start doing that stuff, though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Most boss fight chambers are locked in a way that the players cant engage the bosses before you finish watching a cutscene. This might not be the case for the repeatable boss ones but the big story ones work like this. So dont be afraid to sit back and watch story scenes in dungeons.

That is not at all true.

You can watch the cutscenes again in your inn room if you end up with speedrunning assholes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whizbang posted:

That is not at all true.

You can watch the cutscenes again in your inn room if you end up with speedrunning assholes.

No, I've seen it. In dungeons like Totorak and Stone Vigil you will be physically incapable of going to the boss area while someone is watching the story cutscenes. There will be a barrier that prevents players from starting the encounter.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No, I've seen it. In dungeons like Totorak and Stone Vigil you will be physically incapable of going to the boss area while someone is watching the story cutscenes. There will be a barrier that prevents players from starting the encounter.

Was that added in 2.1? I distinctly remember instances where 3 people would fight the boss while the 4th person was watching their story cutscenes.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

If that's true, it has to be new, as previously you could enter the boss area before cutscenes finished. I know for sure that you cannot start moving forward in a dungeon itself until the introductory scenes have either been completed or skipped, which is just as well for the ones that are just a single boss fight (such as the Primals), as the story surrounding those is always major stuff.

Mega64 posted:

Man, the first time I heard that theme, it got me pumped. The funny thing was, I was kind of expecting a retro battle theme just because the first place it plays happens in a pretty random scene that feels Final Fantasy as hell to me for some reason (rescuing the random woman from that rear end in a top hat merchant in Ul'dah).

That's one of those tongue-in-cheek moments that really make the game for me. The whole context of that scene: In the storyline, you just completed a trio of dungeons, with a party of other players, going up against savage sahagin, death-cultists and demonic entities summoned from beyond, and extremely pissed-off giants. So, you arrive back in town and notice some thugs harassing a lady. You walk up and the thugs attack you. And you, the hardened adventurer, proceed to effortlessly wipe the floor with them as that cheery music plays.

It's one of those neat little scenes that 'develop' your player character, even though you're still a silent-protagonist cipher who inevitably ends up being the one who does all the dirty work, with assorted NPCs growing appreciative/respectful/terrified of you as you progress.

QuantaStarFire posted:

I like the remixed FF3 songs they added with Crystal Tower, especially the boss remix. I really hope that the whole CT line ends with a fight against some manifestation of the Cloud of Darkness.

I also want the FF6 dungeon to come.

Here's some promo art showing off the bosses for the Crystal Tower. You'll notice some familiar faces!

While it's unlikely they'll do anything so blatant with better-known characters, Xande is already written into the story as one of the rulers of an ancient long-destroyed magical civilization.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Should I try 14? I don't really care for MMOs, but can I just chill in a cool Final Fantasy world and enjoy the story at my own pace like if it were Xenoblade Chronicles or something? I figure there's some required group content, but if there's a dungeon finder tool, that's not a problem, right?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Should I try 14? I don't really care for MMOs, but can I just chill in a cool Final Fantasy world and enjoy the story at my own pace like if it were Xenoblade Chronicles or something? I figure there's some required group content, but if there's a dungeon finder tool, that's not a problem, right?

If you liked Xenoblade, the gameplay of FFXIV won't feel too far off. The game world is designed to be explored and hung around in. You can also conceivably finish the storyline up to its present conclusion within the first month, which is free.

If you're really new or otherwise don't entirely grasp MMO party dynamics, I'd probably recommend not picking a tank class (i.e. not Marauder or Gladiator) out the gate, as there's a bit more of a learning curve to them than others which really comes into play with group content, whereas damage-dealers and healers tend to be more intuitive. Not that such a thing should stop you; just a fair heads-up. The downside to not playing a tank is you'll be waiting longer using the dungeon finder tool (less so for healer, maybe), but it generally isn't too bad.

There's a thread for the game over on the MMO sub-forum here, with lots of handy info in the OP. :) Also, stuff on goon guilds. I'm not involved with any myself so I can't directly advocate for them, but they're probably a good thing to look into to get some immediate social connections in-game.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 12, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh no, I've main tanked 40-man Molten Core, I know how MMOs work. I just don't think they are very exciting to play anymore. But I've been on a FF kick recently, and if I can see the story through in the 30-day period, that's perfect. Thanks :)

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Neither of those are "big story dungeons." You can and will have assholes lock you out of the boss fights for the last two dungeons in the story if you watch cutscenes like a normal person.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hakkesshu posted:

Oh no, I've main tanked 40-man Molten Core, I know how MMOs work. I just don't think they are very exciting to play anymore. But I've been on a FF kick recently, and if I can see the story through in the 30-day period, that's perfect. Thanks :)

It's definitely an MMO but a bit of a slower paced one. Everything is written so well and amazingly realized. Everything feels very crafted in the game. It's been said a lot of times but it's the most Final Fantasy thing to come out in quite a while.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm sorry, but the real bestest worst Final Fantasy OST in the series is Crisis Core. It's basically all remixes of the soundtrack of FF7 except for maybe two or three tracks, but its wonderful.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Thank you! Music like this is really what makes the game stand out above other MMOs.

And yeah, makes sense that they really can't make a complete OST as they added more awesome music in 2.1 (namely the Hard Mode dungeon theme/battle theme).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I've been playing FFXIV for a week or so now, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. As mentioned, the music is great (I'm partial to the starting areas of La Noscea myself) and the graphics look great. Kind of wish I had time to actually enjoy the cutscenes in dungeons (the last dungeon I did was my first run, and after the cutscene ended I saw my party went on to fight the boss without me). Otherwise, fun game with tons of stuff to do, and it doesn't hurt that you can level every class/job on one character.

If you want to watch cutscenes again, just check into an inn room and click on the journal thingy. It will let you watch every single cutscene you've already seen.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a working link anywhere for that ridiculous Titan theme from XIV? The part with the vocals, mainly, but the entire thing is good. The YouTube and tindeck that I had for it both seem to be gone.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there a working link anywhere for that ridiculous Titan theme from XIV? The part with the vocals, mainly, but the entire thing is good. The YouTube and tindeck that I had for it both seem to be gone.

Wrought from the rock that stands upon old
With heart of black and a stare that's cold

Cold are the hands that grasp at your soul
'Fore the graves are dug and the death knells toll

Tempered in the flows of the mountain's core
Where the rage runs red twixt shore and shore

Shorn from the world 'neath the blazing sun
Bound to the dark, for the light I shun

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Wow, that's really edgy Titan. If only there was a black wristband and collar big enough for you, I'm pretty sure you'd be wearing it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like Garuda's boss music a lot more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPnBR5QOkz8

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Gologle posted:

I'm sorry, but the real bestest worst Final Fantasy OST in the series is Crisis Core. It's basically all remixes of the soundtrack of FF7 except for maybe two or three tracks, but its wonderful.

Nah, most of the tracks in CC are new. But it does have a great soundtrack yeah.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Really? Off the top of my head, you have (btw, one great thing about the soundtrack is that I believe they're all done with an actual orchestra. Either that or they got really close to imitating the sound) One Winged Angel, the world map theme, the battle theme, Nibelheim, and one other one that I recognize but don't remember where it is in FF7. I think it might be Wutai, but I'm not sure.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mazed posted:

Here's some promo art showing off the bosses for the Crystal Tower. You'll notice some familiar faces!

Is... is that pirate Exdeath? Because it should be.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Krad posted:

Nah, it's this guy, who is just a palette swap of an earlier boss. All of those are FF3 bosses.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Gologle posted:

Really? Off the top of my head, you have (btw, one great thing about the soundtrack is that I believe they're all done with an actual orchestra. Either that or they got really close to imitating the sound) One Winged Angel, the world map theme, the battle theme, Nibelheim, and one other one that I recognize but don't remember where it is in FF7. I think it might be Wutai, but I'm not sure.

I think it's mostly actual instruments, but some tracks use a synth-replica. Anyway, here's a link to the OST http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Crisis_Core_-Final_Fantasy_VII-_Original_Soundtrack so you can take a look. Most of the remixed songs from FF7 were pretty well done too, except for the Turks theme, which is garbage.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fister Roboto posted:

All of those are FF3 bosses.

Kinda funny how Echidna's the only one of the four bosses right before Cloud of Darkness who isn't in that picture by the looks of it. That said, I cannot remember at all who that dude in the bottom right corner is (I'd say Goldor but there's not enough gold so...); everyone else is recognisable in some capacity at least. But that looks like it's just A Dude and could be basically anyone.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Dragonatrix posted:

That said, I cannot remember at all who that dude in the bottom right corner is (I'd say Goldor but there's not enough gold so...); everyone else is recognisable in some capacity at least. But that looks like it's just A Dude and could be basically anyone.

It's Acheron, some generic mob from FF3. He's far from that in XIV though. :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Krad posted:

It's Hein, a minor boss from FF3.

He's a cool skeleton dude, with a bitching theme.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

So we can expect Barrier Change?

Because I looove Barrier Change bosses. :allears: Hein and his counterpart were fun to fight against. (Now that I think about it, Hein is probably the only boss whose palette swap is also a boss.)

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!

Mazed posted:

Let's be forthright: FFXIV's story is nothing groundbreaking. It's got some nuance, a few emotionally affecting moments, and a few spots of seriously clever writing, but overall it's standard goofy JRPG fantasy. The thing is, it makes itself abundantly clear that it is nothing more than that, and what it lacks in depth it compensates for with scope. They didn't leave an inch of the game world unpolished, and the whole thing feels cohesive, self-aware, and altogether just right.

And to be sure, the hi-def 3D visuals and detailed characters XIV has seem pretty laughable spouting the cheesy lines that they do, but none of it would feel out of place in the games on the SNES and PSX that really established the FF series and got so many people hooked. Naturally, most people scrutizing the narrative aren't going to think of it in those terms, but I cannot help but imagine that when they sat down to write the story content, they went "okay, pretend this is an SNES game" and went from there.

If there's any hope at all for FFXV and future games in the series, it's that they really learn from the success of XIV's relaunch, that the audience for these games appreciates it when they spend as much time (or more) on delivering narratives that are actually fun to advance as well as well-conceived settings that need not be completely serious and sober. While the XIV team certainly knows this by now, since they're neck-deep in it and shall continue to be for the foreseeable future, let's hope the competence has spread.

And that's what I love so much about it. It feels like the games that made me love this series, and makes me forget that at some point they stopped making goofy light-hearted RPGs. Also the music is amazing. Like, all of it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Aw man, he even has the same pose as Exdeath, that can't be a coincidence. He looks pretty cool all the same.

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's Hein, a minor boss from FF3.

Man, square really needs to take all of their feathered hair simulation engineers, make them develop a 'ridiculous amounts of layered fabric' engine, and start making next gen games based on Amano's designs.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Krad posted:

Aw man, he even has the same pose as Exdeath, that can't be a coincidence. He looks pretty cool all the same.

If I remember right you also fight him inside a tree.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

If you want to watch cutscenes again, just check into an inn room and click on the journal thingy. It will let you watch every single cutscene you've already seen.

It's more that I want to watch cutscenes the first time I do a dungeon because of story context, yet don't want to hold my party up either. I think it'd be better if they moved most of the story stuff out of the instance, but again my MMO experience is pretty small so maybe it's just me.

I never noticed how smug Hein is in that picture. That's awesome.

Wasn't that guy the adviser to the king of the nation he kidnapped? I'd like to find out how a literal skeleton got a position like that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mega64 posted:

Wasn't that guy the adviser to the king of the nation he kidnapped? I'd like to find out how a literal skeleton got a position like that.

The Surgeon General was Frankenstein, the Prime Minister was a mummy, and the Secretary of Defense was Dracula. It was a monster mash!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I assume the one shown in the Crystal tower shot is actually Amon (?), a recolor of Hain you fight in Eureka. I don't remember if it's explained but apparently Hain wasn't a skeleton until he got pumped up with demon magic and kidnapped a tree. Skulls shouldn't be able to look smug but he manages it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Folt The Bolt posted:

So we can expect Barrier Change?

Because I looove Barrier Change bosses. :allears: Hein and his counterpart were fun to fight against. (Now that I think about it, Hein is probably the only boss whose palette swap is also a boss.)

I wouldn't put it past them to implement a sort of Barrier Change, given Hein was the first to utilize the tactic and 14 is all about the throwbacks (subtle and otherwise), but it won't be the "Weak to one element, absorb all others" method. Elemental damage isn't as big of a thing in this game, as Yoshida doesn't want to exclude certain classes from content based on what weaknesses they can or can't hit. Barrier Changing to absorb fire or ice would completely shut down Thaumaturges.