Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
So I have to start thinking about whether I should do the JMT this year so I can apply for a permit. Sounds like the usual times are July through September, does anyone have any strong opinions on when is the best time to go? I sometimes tend towards later in the year for these trips but wouldn't want to get stuck in bad weather...still, starting at the beginning of September seems enticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

It looks to be another super low snow year in the sierras, so keep that in mind. So, if they don't get dumped on with tons of late season, I would go late June.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
A buddy of mine and I are planning the JMT for mid July. I wanna go a little earlier, but he doesn't want to risk dealing with any late melting snow. If you wanna go late June you're getting real close to when you need to submit your permit application.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife and I just got our reservations for Yosemite for our honeymoon. Going the beginning of June and going from the White Wolf trailhead to Pate Valley / Glen Aulin / Pothole Dome. We are super stoked.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 8, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shell/outer layer? Trying to avoid a straight up plastic rain jacket, and goretex is a little out of my price range. So breathability is important but I still want a hood and decent weather protection. So I'm not sure if I should be looking at regular shells or softshells or neoshells or what. I wear my light down jacket as an outer layer and it is usually good enough, but if it is below about 20f or snowing I would like a little extra, and also have something to wear instead of the down when it's not really cold or we're on the way up.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

jamal posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shell/outer layer? Trying to avoid a straight up plastic rain jacket, and goretex is a little out of my price range. So breathability is important but I still want a hood and decent weather protection. So I'm not sure if I should be looking at regular shells or softshells or neoshells or what. I wear my light down jacket as an outer layer and it is usually good enough, but if it is below about 20f or snowing I would like a little extra, and also have something to wear instead of the down when it's not really cold or we're on the way up.

I have the REI Taku which I wear as a sturdy four-season wind/water/snow shell. They're not expensive if you can still find one, and they look really good.

http://www.backpacker.com/fall-gear-guide-09-gear-review-rei-taku-waterproof-jacket/gear/13431
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-REI-Taku-technical-rain-shell-jacket-medium-PERFECT-/151202662652?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item23346188fc

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 8, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jamal posted:

So breathability is important but I still want a hood and decent weather protection. So I'm not sure if I should be looking at regular shells or softshells or neoshells or what. I wear my light down jacket as an outer layer and it is usually good enough, but if it is below about 20f or snowing I would like a little extra, and also have something to wear instead of the down when it's not really cold or we're on the way up.
Softshell won't work (they bead water but are meant as a windproof layer, and aren't actually waterproof). Neoshell is just the name of one if many proprietary waterproof membranes, and people seem happy with it. IMO the laminate (backing+membrane+face), cut and construction matter a whole lot more than the brand of membrane.

Regular hardshell might be a little overboard for the usage you describe, I would look into minimal/packable/emergency hardshells.

I don't know who sells cheap jackets, but I'd use something like an Arc'teryx alpha sl or westcomb focus lt.

I'm sure other brands have similar products.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 8, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yiggy posted:

A buddy of mine and I are planning the JMT for mid July. I wanna go a little earlier, but he doesn't want to risk dealing with any late melting snow. If you wanna go late June you're getting real close to when you need to submit your permit application.

We realized that our lease ends in the middle of July and we'll need June free to be looking for a new place and moving, so June and early July are probably out...late July/early August are probably our best bets but am wondering if it's worth arranging it to get the benefit of labor day. Gives me more time to plan as well and figure out how to get out there and to Yosimite...

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

jamal posted:

Not sure what size you are, but there might be some good deals here: http://www.geartrade.com/browse/mens-technical-shells/1

That shows men's jackets, so just search again if you're not a man.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I use a marmot precip over a down jacket, seems to work well but the precip is not really made for more than 2-3 seasons of use.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I'm looking for a recommendation for some shell pants. I've been using a pair of Marmot Precip pants for the last two seasons, and while they're starting to delaminate in a couple of spots, I could probably get another couple of seasons out of them. However, they always tended to work their way down while hiking, and I've dropped an inch or two in the waist since last spring. So I'm afraid the problem will be worse this year. I'm also not crazy about the velcro waist closures. I had a pair of Gore-Tex pants from EMS before these that I liked the fit of, but I returned them because they were insanely fragile.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have bergans Breheimen pants I'm really happy with (use them for rain/snow while commuting/biking/hiking and snowshoeing).

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
For as many complaints I've heard about Dri Ducks durability, they are light and cheap and I've never had a problem with them, but I do keep a few feet of duct tape just in case. I got a set of jacket and pants for less than $30, and have been using them for four years now without complaint.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Business of Ferrets posted:

Not sure what size you are, but there might be some good deals here: http://www.geartrade.com/browse/mens-technical-shells/1

That shows men's jackets, so just search again if you're not a man.

Hey good site. But I'm kind of picky about how stuff fits and need to try it on first. I almost bought some northface basic shell the other day that was on sale for $70, but the sleeves were too short on the medium and the large fit me like a garbage bag. And I didn't like the cuffs.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I posted earlier about my Slumberjack sleeping bag which has sat unused and compressed for an unknown number of years (at least five, maybe ten or more).

I think I'm going to keep it as a warm weather bag and invest in a new bag for cold weather. I don't want to be miserable when it drops below 20° at night.

Can I get some recommendations? I'd like to spend under $150 (but preferably under $100), and I'm 6'5" so it will have to be a long bag.

Which brands/bags offer the most comfort for the buck?

And what's the difference between a $60 Coleman bag rated at 20° and a $450 Marmot rated at 20°, other than quality in construction, which I don't have too many concerns about since I won't be going too often (likely one winter trip per year)

me your dad fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 10, 2014

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

me your dad posted:

I posted earlier about my Slumberjack sleeping bag which has sat unused and compressed for an unknown number of years (at least five, maybe ten or more).

I think I'm going to keep it as a warm weather bag and invest in a new bag for cold weather. I don't want to be miserable when it drops below 20° at night.

Can I get some recommendations? I'd like to spend under $150 (but preferably under $100), and I'm 6'5" so it will have to be a long bag.

Which brands/bags offer the most comfort for the buck?

And what's the difference between a $60 Coleman bag rated at 20° and a $450 Marmot rated at 20°, other than quality in construction, which I don't have too many concerns about since I won't be going too often (likely one winter trip per year)

Quality and weight will be a huge difference. I doubt that a cheap Coleman bag rated for 20° would actually be able to compress down to a size that could be fit comfortably in anything but a massive backpack. I also highly doubt the accuracy of the temperature rating of any bag that cheap.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Check out some of the bags on REI's outlet store. They usually have closeouts on the long bags since those don't sell as fast. The Kelty Cosmic 20 I've heard decent things about for a cheap bag...it's not light but it's like $90 and is down. There's also a couple of synthetic bags for cheap as well

e: the x-large version of the Kelty is just wider, but is the same length as the long.

e2: my bad, the Kelty Cosmic 20 on REI's site is synthetic, and heavier than the down version would be. If you look around you might be able to find the down version for under $150

e3: $150 for the long version from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Cosmic-...+cosmic+down+20
Probably the cheapest you'd find it unless you can find it on sale someplace else, long version of bags tend to cost a bit more. Anyways, just a suggestion, the synthetic version that's cheaper might work just as well, I'm just not as familiar with synthetic bags and how warm they are.

ahhh I can't stop,

They used to have the old REI Sub Kilo 20 for sale in the outlet which was a lightweight down bag for a good price, but looks like they've sold out.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 10, 2014

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Keep an eye on Steapandcheep.com, you can find some sleeping bags on there for pretty cheap, though you may need to watch for a few days to a week before one pops up. I found a mountain hardwear extra lamina 20 degree bag on there for 75% off, about $50.00 and I've been very happy with it. Tested it in the 20's and it kept me plenty warm.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Yiggy posted:

Keep an eye on Steapandcheep.com, you can find some sleeping bags on there for pretty cheap, though you may need to watch for a few days to a week before one pops up. I found a mountain hardwear extra lamina 20 degree bag on there for 75% off, about $50.00 and I've been very happy with it. Tested it in the 20's and it kept me plenty warm.

Thanks. I forgot about steepandcheap. I'll keep an eye out there for a few days.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My buddy uses a Kelly cosmic down bag and loves it. For the price its a solid bag that is light warm and compressible, nearly unbeatable at that price point but it is down which is great until you get it wet. You just need to keep it dry is all. I have an rei Mojave 15 that has been great and I just keep it dry. I've used it down to 15 just fine with a base layer and socks andv it cost me about $130 from the outlet. I just keep mine in a waterproof stuff sack.

The big thing with $60 Coleman bags are that they are mostly meant for car camping so they are super big and heavy. Most backpacking bags should weigh around 2-3 pounds and pack down to a football-soccerball size. Those department store bags will easily weigh 5-10 lbs and will take up your entire backpack while probably not being as warm as their rating suggests.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don't they have waterproof down these days?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think you usually have to really work at it to get down sleeping bags wet from rain or whatever. The issue is mainly if you're going to be out for many days at a temperature low enough that you can't ever get the water vapor out.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Yeah, I've read the dew point trapping body perspiration in gear is a long term trip ruiner in any sort of cold weather. I haven't tested it yet, but I've been reading a lot about Vapor Barriers, which is just a water impermeable layer you wear next to the skin when sleeping, which traps moisture next to the skin so that it doesn't leak into your gear, while at the same time trapping any heat you'd lose in the process. The worry is your skin would get all clammy, but the proponents I've found write that your skin adjusts pretty well, and that a mild dampness is the worst you experience in the morning. Its supposed to let you squeeze a few more degrees out of your gear while at the same time keeping your gear dry and drastically reducing condensation in your tent.

Items which are supposed to work alright for vapor barriers
1) Wearing your rain shell next to the skin, turn it inside out.
2) a trashbag liner for your sleeping bag.
3) Some people make clothing layers out of trash bag material.
4) Mylar sweat suits, like you find in the weight lifting section at Academy, etc.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I ended up going to REI yesterday and bought the REI Polar Pod 20. I think it'll do the trick. Temperatures in the closest town show lows in the thirties next weekend. We'll be about 2,500 feet up above the town so I expect it to be in the low twenties for us.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Yiggy posted:

Items which are supposed to work alright for vapor barriers
1) Wearing your rain shell next to the skin, turn it inside out.
2) a trashbag liner for your sleeping bag.
3) Some people make clothing layers out of trash bag material.
4) Mylar sweat suits, like you find in the weight lifting section at Academy, etc.
These all sound horrible

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

mystes posted:

I think you usually have to really work at it to get down sleeping bags wet from rain or whatever. The issue is mainly if you're going to be out for many days at a temperature low enough that you can't ever get the water vapor out.

Yeah, it's really not usually an issue unless you're in a place that's real wet/doesn't let you really air things out, or you get unlucky and have days of rain and a leaky tent. It takes a pretty catastrophic occurrence to wet your bag through enough on a "normal" trip that the down is compromised...your pack falling in a river, your tent springing a leak and soaking everything, etc. Honestly I don't even use a waterproof stuff sack because you get some water protection from your pack, a pack cover if you have one, and most of the regular nylon bags are a little bit water resistant, plus you have all the other stuff in your pack protecting it dependin gon how you pack.

If I was doing the AT or something I would maybe take a waterproof stuff sack since you're just out for so long and early on it can be cold and wet

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Does anyone have the Sawyer Squeeze? I've been thinking about picking one up. Seems like a pretty neat system for 1-2 people.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Levitate posted:

Yeah, it's really not usually an issue unless you're in a place that's real wet/doesn't let you really air things out, or you get unlucky and have days of rain and a leaky tent. It takes a pretty catastrophic occurrence to wet your bag through enough on a "normal" trip that the down is compromised...your pack falling in a river, your tent springing a leak and soaking everything, etc. Honestly I don't even use a waterproof stuff sack because you get some water protection from your pack, a pack cover if you have one, and most of the regular nylon bags are a little bit water resistant, plus you have all the other stuff in your pack protecting it dependin gon how you pack.

If I was doing the AT or something I would maybe take a waterproof stuff sack since you're just out for so long and early on it can be cold and wet

I was hiking in SE Alaska on a remote island that we got dropped off at by float plane. The FIRST day skirting around the edge of an alpine lake I managed to fall in with my fully loaded pack. Even after kicking off the pack so that I could get up and it being partially submerged only about the top inch of stuff in my pack actually got wet. All of the nylon and other water resistant materials kept everything dry including a book I had packed.

I think where vapor barriers really help is in climates where your going to be out moving and sweating in the cold for a long period of time. I would wear vapor barriers on my hands and feet since those would tend to sweat out first for me when hiking in the winter.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Saint Fu posted:

These all sound horrible

Comfort is a common complaint, and they really only seem to be justified in severe cold conditions, which most people aren't putting up with anyways. Some people only want to deal with them in the sleeping bag, and others hike in them. A common complaint I've read is managing your level of exertion so you don't sweat too much. Your skin is supposed to regulate its moisture and sweating on its own, but that won't matter much if you're really exerting yourself.

Here is brief cartoon I found that tries to explain it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

That cartoon is full of some random made up bullshit about your body sensing a micro-climate, but I'll testify to VBL being a huge help when it's cold at night (I'd say more like below 32F) AND you're out a long time.

I've never found them helpful during the day, say in my boots or gloves.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've worn nitrile gloves under my regular gloves, but that was more an issue of not having warm enough gloves at the time. It did help. Sleeping in a trash bag just sounds horrible though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 13, 2014

Eugenics
Mar 25, 2007
Because I'm better than you
Has anybody done mt whitney in the winter? I've got basic mountaineering skills and gear, but I've only really trekked around in the snow, not done any serious ascents. What's the skill level required? I've also got good rope skills from rock climbing if you rope up for whitney. I've been looking for books that describe the route in winter but I can't really find much. I've done the normal route in the summer. Since it's only like a 4 hour drive from LA to whitney it's probably the closest mountain that has snow on it, and i'd love to get out there and climb some mountains.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

That cartoon is full of some random made up bullshit about your body sensing a micro-climate

Nope. I did some digging and found this study, which discusses Transepidermal Water Loss, or insensible perspiration. At 2-3% relative humidity and below, as if one is in a desert, it stays low. Above this, TEWL increases 2-3x. Once you reach 73-77% relative humidity, TEWL drops back down to what it would be as if you were in extremely dry conditions. So your body works to prevent moisture loss in conditions where its really dry, and in conditions when it is really moist (ostensibly since the air is moist enough to keep the skin where it needs to be, and so that water can be used elsewhere). This seems to line up with all of the claims I see proponents of vapor barriers make that the skin prefers a relative humidity near the skin of 73% percent.

(Also this would seem to jive with yours and others' anecdotes about VBLs working)

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 13, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I've never found them helpful during the day, say in my boots or gloves.
Most VBLs (including goretex) barely breathe at all, and none of them help with liquid sweat.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

marsisol posted:

Does anyone have the Sawyer Squeeze? I've been thinking about picking one up. Seems like a pretty neat system for 1-2 people.

We love ours, fast, easy, and trouble free. It is worth noting that we have only been day hiking with it but we will use it for overnights this year.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Most VBLs (including goretex) barely breathe at all, and none of them help with liquid sweat.

Exactly. Makes them perfect for long back to back days in winter. I'd rather my feet and hands be clammy in a vbl then start to have my gloves and boots sweat out.

Went snowshoeing this past weekend. I have to say no matter how much easier it is to go up hill with the newer snow shoes the old ones let you carry a ton of gear in a sled and pretend your an old trapper man.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Listen to this guy. I'll vouch for him. Mine has seen 3 weeks of trail time, and it's my go to for when times get tough on my bike (it's black, so I don't like to wear it, but it's the most comprehensive shell I have for when it's 35 degrees and raining sideways.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Speleothing posted:

I got my brother the Vars Hoody for this birthday last May, and I don't think he's taken it off since.

So, going back a ways, I had asked about fleece options. I ended up purchasing this.

Absolutely accurate description. I have, basically, not taken this off.
It's light enough that I can wear it while it's 60 degrees here in Vegas.
Warmth-wise, I mostly only wear it walking to and from my car at work so far. It is warm enough to make a half-mile walk in 30 degree weather.
I imagine extended walks I would want it no colder than maybe 40/45.

In any case, it is SUPER comfortable. Thank you.

Edit to add:

The steepandcheap.com stei: I recently saw they were offering a Big Agnes 15º Encampment sleeping bag for 85.00. Most of the reviews online I saw said that the temp rating was off, it doesn't actually sleep that cold. Does anyone here have an opinion? My parents recently delivered me an old Kelty 20º bag, but it has been in storage at least a decade. I have to assume it won't be as insulating as before so I have been looking to get a new one.

Capt. Sticl fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 15, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Capt. Sticl posted:

My parents recently delivered me an old Kelty 20º bag, but it has been in storage at least a decade. I have to assume it won't be as insulating as before so I have been looking to get a new one.

If it's a down bag (the old Kelty) it should be fine by taking it out and fluffing it up. If it's synthetic then it might be starting to lose it's efficiency but you won't know until you try it out. Also let this be a reminder to never leave your sleeping bags stored in a compressed state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

marsisol posted:

I do. Pretty nice system. Super lightweight. It lives in my bag and I never take it out because it's so light.