Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Petey posted:

Q: while perusing the AVS forums for calibration settings for my PN51F4500, I've seen a lot of people offhandedly implying that you should wait awhile before calibrating your TV. Is this true? Will it do damage if I've been dicking around already?

You should probably give it 2-300 hours before calibrating. But its not gonna hurt anything if you do it now, you just may need to do it again. If you are just using someone elses settings it wont matter either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Petey posted:

Q: while perusing the AVS forums for calibration settings for my PN51F4500, I've seen a lot of people offhandedly implying that you should wait awhile before calibrating your TV. Is this true? Will it do damage if I've been dicking around already?

It's not about damage. Plasmas are supposed to have some settling time.

If you calibrate it yourself using a disc or something, things may change slightly once it settles. If you use someone else's settings then obviously it doesn't really matter.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Oh, OK. I can always recalibrate anyway.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This is a more general pondering about 4x3 CRTs and flat panels(???).

I work for a big production company that works on commercials among other things. We get creative from advertising agencies and their clients. 100% of the time we finish a commercial in 1080p but when we shoot and board everything has to be 4:3 safe for the lots(?) of people who still have 4:3 sets and when the broadcasting partner decides to crop to 4:3 instead of letter boxing.

Now my question is, how many people in the US, Canada and EU(our primary markets) still have 4:3 sets? Are they still statistically relevant in 2014?

On a related note, I don't think console developers have had to deal with designing their games for 4:3 and 16:9 since the last gen. I mean if you were baller enough to have a 360/PS3 and now XBO/PS4 you're most likely not still dicking around with a 4:3. Heh I even used to work at a game studio and never asked the compliance guys and other involved staff about the issue but I think my guess is pretty sound.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Petey posted:

My rule of thumb is:

"Use AVS for specific settings for a specific model and then ignore everything else on the site."

There's some good info on there, but good lord they sperg the gently caress out about a lot of stuff. A lot of people in both the audio and visual hobby areas believe that products need a period of "burning in" or "opening up" or whatever the gently caress they want to call it. It's generally either a.) just made up poo poo or b.) so negligible that the average user isn't ever going to notice.

So..in short.. just get the settings how you want and enjoy your new tv! You absolutely aren't going to hurt it by calibrating it out of the box.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I bought this antenna awhile back and it worked great for me for local HD, but I recently moved where my antenna doesn't necessarily have access to a window. Is there a better option for an indoor antenna that will be as close to flawless as possible for picking up local HD channels?

This is my current antenna: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QK7HI8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

On a related note, I don't think console developers have had to deal with designing their games for 4:3 and 16:9 since the last gen. I mean if you were baller enough to have a 360/PS3 and now XBO/PS4 you're most likely not still dicking around with a 4:3. Heh I even used to work at a game studio and never asked the compliance guys and other involved staff about the issue but I think my guess is pretty sound.

The XBone and PS4 do HDMI only actually.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Petey posted:

Oh, OK. I can always recalibrate anyway.

I've read quite a few sources that say the first 100 hours (and some even say the first 200 hours) are when a plasma is most susceptible to burn-in and image retention. Some sights suggest turning the brightness down (50% or lower) and running colored slides during the time period. Other sites say it's fine to play normal content as long as you avoid static images (eg black bars, station logos) during the first 100 hours.

Is it really true, or just apocryphal? I don't know, but it really doesn't seem like a big deal to avoid static images, at least for extended periods of time, for the first 100 hours.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Comfortador posted:

I bought this antenna awhile back and it worked great for me for local HD, but I recently moved where my antenna doesn't necessarily have access to a window. Is there a better option for an indoor antenna that will be as close to flawless as possible for picking up local HD channels?

This is my current antenna: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QK7HI8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You probably want the "Cutting Cable" thread, but I have that antenna and it works fine for me without mounting it on a window.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
OK so this is my last time asking for advice here, I've run into a couple tvs that seem like great deals, but they also seem like they're kind of bullshit.

Costco has a 51 inch Samsung plasma (PN51F5350A) for 600 dollars, and Best Buy had an opened Panasonic TC-P50S60 plasma for 602$. They had pretty much the same specs, but they said 600 HZ true motion blah blah blah. Is the 600HZ a marketing scheme to where it's just overblowing what it really is (past 240HZ), and should be avoided because of that, or are these perfectly fine things to have as long as you're ok with a plasma TV. Also if everything is fine, which TV would you personally go for? Unopened Samsung seems fine to me, but I'm sure I could haggle down the price at best buy more for that opened one, or have them throw in a cheaper warranty.

From what I've read Plasmas are fine for my situation considering I'm not overly concerned about power usage, and the area the TV is going to isn't well lit to begin with. Thank you so much everyone, you've all been a great help.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Veskit posted:

OK so this is my last time asking for advice here, I've run into a couple tvs that seem like great deals, but they also seem like they're kind of bullshit.

Costco has a 51 inch Samsung plasma (PN51F5350A) for 600 dollars, and Best Buy had an opened Panasonic TC-P50S60 plasma for 602$. They had pretty much the same specs, but they said 600 HZ true motion blah blah blah. Is the 600HZ a marketing scheme to where it's just overblowing what it really is (past 240HZ), and should be avoided because of that, or are these perfectly fine things to have as long as you're ok with a plasma TV. Also if everything is fine, which TV would you personally go for? Unopened Samsung seems fine to me, but I'm sure I could haggle down the price at best buy more for that opened one, or have them throw in a cheaper warranty.

From what I've read Plasmas are fine for my situation considering I'm not overly concerned about power usage, and the area the TV is going to isn't well lit to begin with. Thank you so much everyone, you've all been a great help.

Most plasmas will have 600hz drivers or whatever they want to call them. It's not the same as a TV's refresh rate in regards to 120 or 240hz, but it's absolutely listed for marketing reasons ("BIGGER NUMBAHS!")

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57548118-221/what-is-600hz/

As far as those two. Either will be fine. Most people go with Panasonic Plasmas, but I'd probably go for the new in box one. Also I have a 50" Samsung Plasma from 2007 or 8 and I love it.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Veskit posted:

The S60 has fantastic reviews; the 5300 (and that's what this is - with a slight number change to make it harder to price match / review search), not quite so much. I looked at the same ones. I ended up going with the PN51F4500, but sit close enough (within 7") to my TV that I wish I had the 1080p. I've been looking for a good open box S60 to see if I can trade up.

If I were you, I'd go for the S60, but it's probably six one way, half dozen the other to be honest.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
So I just picked up a display model Panasonic S60 from Best Buy, and now that it's home, I notice there is a box with the word "store" in it when it displays an all-white image. Is this something that will go away over time, or is this burn-in? Subquestion: At some point, was Best Buy really dumb enough to display something with a box in the corner that says "store" for their in-store demo reel?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It'll probably go away, and how often do you watch an all white screen?

That said, if they have other open box models it might be worth swapping just to not have to worry about it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
gently caress I lied about the last thing I had to ask just one more question.

I live at 5300 feet, which may or may not be a problem with some buzzing? I read a few things and now am scared to pull the trigger on one :ohdear:.

I don't plan on moving above 6000 feet with this thing.

VVVVV I can ignore, thank you.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 13, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Veskit posted:

gently caress I lied about the last thing I had to ask just one more question.

I live at 5300 feet, which may or may not be a problem with some buzzing? I read a few things and now am scared to pull the trigger on one :ohdear:.

I don't plan on moving above 6000 feet with this thing.

I'm guessing it's more AVS "buzzing" comments? Just ignore them. You'll be fine.

I'm at sea level and my Samsung does in fact have a buzz if you are standing in complete silence with your ear to the TV. You absolutely cannot hear it at all in any other scenario.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

BonoMan posted:

I'm at sea level and my Samsung does in fact have a buzz if you are standing in complete silence with your ear to the TV. You absolutely cannot hear it at all in any other scenario.

Yeah, plasmas do that. It's life.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

My Samsung plasma panel has image retention (huds/etc) but it generally does go away after a bit. However, there are image issues all over the place (3 years old), that I've mentioned before.

In addition to the panel dying, it has thick vertical bands that are 'off color' compared to the rest of the screen. The plasma absolutely does make a buzzing noise, but it is nothing remotely compared to the high pitched noise any tube tv makes. It's also pretty warm.

I really don't want to take another risk of another plasma TV having this 800+ dollar problem, but I don't think I'll be able to find an affordable led tv with the great side viewing angles and the refresh.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So I bought a 42 inch LG TV and I love it. I may have to move later this year, and I'm wonder if anyone knows how expensive it would be to ship a tv (within its box) across the country? Or is that prohibitively expensive or dangerous for the TV? I may just shove it in the back of a car with my belongings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

After a call to Panasonic support to get a list of "local" repair places only to find out that none of them will actually do a home call to my house due to it being "out of area", I think I'm done with Panasonic which means the VT60 is off the table now for the replacement of my ST50. That's pretty piss poor support seeing as how I only live 10 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. The repair places are out in the boonies and won't do a local call even close. Why Panasonic would not have a service center that could actually service the Pittsburgh metro area, I will never know. I just know that lugging my 55" 80lb TV on a 2 hour round trip to confirm what I already know is out of the question (not that I even have the means to do so anyways.)

At this point, I'm just having Geek Squad come out. I only need a repair estimate so I can submit my extended warranty claim, so I'm not actually worried about the "quality" of their work. All I need is for someone to recognize a panel flaw and write up a repair that reflects that. At any rate, their estimate doesn't appear to be costing me anything so I have nothing to lose by trying.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

This is a more general pondering about 4x3 CRTs and flat panels(???).

I work for a big production company that works on commercials among other things. We get creative from advertising agencies and their clients. 100% of the time we finish a commercial in 1080p but when we shoot and board everything has to be 4:3 safe for the lots(?) of people who still have 4:3 sets and when the broadcasting partner decides to crop to 4:3 instead of letter boxing.

Now my question is, how many people in the US, Canada and EU(our primary markets) still have 4:3 sets? Are they still statistically relevant in 2014?

Most people in the US probably have a 16x9 TV as their primary TV. However, many of them probably do have 4:3 still as secondary TV's. If you are making commercials, you probably don't want to alienate your viewers on any TV from which they might be watching.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I work for an full service ad agency (meaning we have a full production company in house) and 100% of our stuff has to be 4:3 safe. There are TONS of people that still have 4:3 TVs. And not only that, but HD programming still costs extra most places and people opt out of that. So even if tons of people have brand new shiny 16:9 TV's... they're still viewing 4:3 content on it :(.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I played my 360 on a 4x3 CRT until 2011, and games were always made with the ratio in mind. Usually it meant HUD elements were pushed in toward the center. I'm sure that was part of Microsoft and Sony's requirements to publish a game on their systems. The big issue was that as the years went on, games had smaller and smaller text that was impossible to read on 480i. There was a big outcry when Dead Rising was released because in 2006 most people didn't have HDTVs and the text was hard to read. Now there are tons of games like that, and it's the main reason I eventually got a new TV.

And I still watch a bunch of stuff in 4X3 because Charter doesn't offer HD versions of lots of channels. Thankfully most channels will do letterboxing and I can just zoom in, but some still have 4X3 content.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I was just put in charge of finding six 60" flat panel monitors for work. These aren't displaying videos, but will be showing various websites and dashboards for an operations center. Are there even "Commercial grade" monitors like this? (I didn't see any on like Vizio or Samsung)

Requirements:
60"
Wall Mountable
VGA Input (not DVI)
Cheap

Any sort of direction would be helpful!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

wa27 posted:

I played my 360 on a 4x3 CRT until 2011, and games were always made with the ratio in mind. Usually it meant HUD elements were pushed in toward the center. I'm sure that was part of Microsoft and Sony's requirements to publish a game on their systems. The big issue was that as the years went on, games had smaller and smaller text that was impossible to read on 480i. There was a big outcry when Dead Rising was released because in 2006 most people didn't have HDTVs and the text was hard to read. Now there are tons of games like that, and it's the main reason I eventually got a new TV.

And I still watch a bunch of stuff in 4X3 because Charter doesn't offer HD versions of lots of channels. Thankfully most channels will do letterboxing and I can just zoom in, but some still have 4X3 content.

The games had to fit 4:3 but they didn't necessarily have to be readable in SD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wa27 posted:

That's a separate issue than being 4:3 safe though.

4:3 safe needs to die. It doesn't matter if there are still 4:3 tvs out there, nearly all of them are watching things letterboxed now.

Most SD cable boxes don't have an option for zoom, so it's not like the 4:3 TV owners are going to be watching letterbox content center zoom. Some OTA adapters have a zoom option, but most are actually going to use the AFD flag to size content appropriately. There are exceedingly few situations where a 4:3 TV owner is going to see a center crop of 16:9 content. It can happen, but it's not statistically worth thinking about.

So, it's not simply enough to look at the number of 4:3 TVs still out there. You have to examine how they are getting their content and how much influence the user has on that content. Since there are very few edge cases in which a 4:3 TV owner is going to be able to watch 16:9 content center cropped, there's no reason to maintain a 4:3 safe zone anymore.

Don't forget, you can have the reverse going on to. If you compose a 4:3 ad (not just 4:3 safe, but actual 4:3) and run it on an SD station with 16:9 content, chances are all HDTV owners are going to get a crop of your ad since they would have had the TV zoomed for primary programming.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 13, 2014

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm looking to spend $1000 for a 50"+ television. My current living room setup includes the following features / awful things:
  • a north-facing window that shines light directly where the television will be;
  • a fireplace under the television; and
  • 8ft from my living room set to the television.

Things I give not a single gently caress about :
  • 3d;
  • SmartTV features; and
  • on-board sound.

I was going to pickup one of the Panasonic plasmas that everyone has been drooling over for the last three years, but I'm a bit concerned given the burn in, buzz, and buzz word crap from nay-sayers. Is an ST50/ST60/whatever still the 'right' thing to get or have we evolved into recommending something else?

Should I wait for 4k prices to come down? I've had my current television for seven years (Sony SXRD 50") and am hoping any new purchase will last just as long.

Use cases: television watching, Netflix, Hulu, Xbox, Playstation, and other goon things.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

merk posted:

I'm looking to spend $1000 for a 50"+ television. My current living room setup includes the following features / awful things:
  • a north-facing window that shines light directly where the television will be;
  • a fireplace under the television; and
  • 8ft from my living room set to the television.

Things I give not a single gently caress about :
  • 3d;
  • SmartTV features; and
  • on-board sound.

I was going to pickup one of the Panasonic plasmas that everyone has been drooling over for the last three years, but I'm a bit concerned given the burn in, buzz, and buzz word crap from nay-sayers. Is an ST50/ST60/whatever still the 'right' thing to get or have we evolved into recommending something else?

Should I wait for 4k prices to come down? I've had my current television for seven years (Sony SXRD 50") and am hoping any new purchase will last just as long.

Vizio's P-Series is coming out this year (supposedly). They announced it at CES. Confirmed prices start at $999 for their consumer level 50" 4K UHDTV.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't want the ST if you're gaming.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm not good enough at gaming where I think input lag will make me very upset. In fact, I'm so bad at gaming that I might like input lag so I can blame something when I constantly feed kill streaks to 14 year olds.

That said, I guess I'll wait for the consumer 4k models to see what drops. Thanks for the quick responses.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know my opinion of the Panasonic plasmas has changed dramatically in the past few weeks. I love the picture quality, but I am unconvinced that they will remain trouble free long term.

At this point, I am betting that ALL 50 series displays will at some point have the issue I am having with the yellow blobs to some extent. It's a design defect. There's insufficient thermal management in the TV. The yellow blobs are centered exactly over where the driver boards are in the TV. They apparently got hot enough to age the phosphors differently in those areas which as lead to an insufficient discharge from the blue cells. If the voltage is ramped up, you can get the yellow to disappear, but you can also start introducing some other artifacts and there's no way of knowing if it won't creep back in again as the panel ages further.

Panasonic is fully aware of this defect since they added additional heat sinks to the boards in the 60 series of the TV as well as putting higher performing fans in the TV. This has lead to complaints of fan noise though and it's hard to say if those improvements will actually solve the issue or just delay it a bit longer. Seeing as how this is their final design iteration, I'm betting they did just enough to get them out of warranty trouble free.

Panasonic has also issued a technical bulletin over the yellow blob issue that tells the techs to change the VSUS setting in the service menu from LOW to HIGH (increasing the sustain voltage) and then increasing the blue drive to cover up the yellow. If the yellow is really light, the VSUS may cover it up and increasing blue drive will also cover it up further, but it also throws the white balance out of calibration. Basically, Panasonic is trying to dupe people into accepting a repair that may only last a few months (enough to get them out of warranty coverage.)

So, as much as I love the image quality of my TV and will be disappointed by going back to LCD, I just don't want to deal with it anymore. As soon as I get my repair estimate submitted to American Express, I'll be buying a Sony KDL-55W900A as a replacement. I just hope I can get one before they are all sold out as the 2014 model is a step down.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
This is the corner of my newly-bought display model Panasonic S60 mentioned earlier:

Is this the kind of thing you can usually fix by running that screen wipe mode in the options menu?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

cbirdsong posted:

This is the corner of my newly-bought display model Panasonic S60 mentioned earlier:

Is this the kind of thing you can usually fix by running that screen wipe mode in the options menu?

Dont know until you try it.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
How long would does that usually take? I have like, a week left to return this guy.

Menus say the TV was run for 3000+ hours in the store, which seems like a lot? It was manufactured in Jan. 2013.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I would return it. Most image retention should go away in like..a few minutes. If that thing is still there, that might be actual burn-in.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

cbirdsong posted:

How long would does that usually take? I have like, a week left to return this guy.

Menus say the TV was run for 3000+ hours in the store, which seems like a lot? It was manufactured in Jan. 2013.

Only 133 days of 15 hours a day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BonoMan posted:

Most image retention should go away in like..a few minutes.

Absolutely not true. One hour worth of watching Adult Swim a night for a week left an afterimage of the [adult swim] logo in the corner of my ST50 that took about a month and a half to fade.

Hell, even watching Daily Show and Colbert Report for a full week (4 days) with the translucent Comedy Central logo would take 2 or 3 days to fade completely for me.

That said, if that TV was run for 3k hours with that STORE in the corner, it's probably burn in by now and won't fade over time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Absolutely not true. One hour worth of watching Adult Swim a night for a week left an afterimage of the [adult swim] logo in the corner of my ST50 that took about a month and a half to fade.

Hell, even watching Daily Show and Colbert Report for a full week (4 days) with the translucent Comedy Central logo would take 2 or 3 days to fade completely for me.

Uh that is absolutely not normal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BonoMan posted:

Uh that is absolutely not normal.

According to Panasonic it is (and a ton of other owners.) Some have panels that exhibit no IR at all, but a good chunk of us have ones that behave this way and it's all deemed completely normal panel response.

You can't see it unless you are looking for it with slides, but it's there. It seems like a crapshoot lottery as to whether or not you get a panel that's 'ideal.' There seems to be a huge manufacturing variance in these things.

Mine didn't start behaving this way until I got well over the 2k hour mark.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

bull3964 posted:

You can't see it unless you are looking for it with slides, but it's there.

This seems so far outside the realm of normal usage that it's hard to care about.