Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Focus on a multiplayer mode that would ostensibly mean shooting at people would mean they're focusing on a game engine that relies on shooting at people. It's a good sign considering that the one thing everyone is worried about is that this game is about shooting people. The fact that they're apparently focusing their efforts elsewhere is, if nothing else, a pretty decent sign that they're focusing their efforts elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I don't see how a multiplayer mode for Infestation would require any shooting, when the whole premise seems to revolve around avoidance rather than confrontation. A multiplayer mode of say three or four humans trying to complete an objective with a human controlled alien lurking about would probably be really fun and entertaining, even if it was a glorified version of hide and seek. I think psyman raised a pretty valid point to be honest since I'd agree that yeah, there's been singleplayer-focused games that introduced multiplayer components despite fan resistance, and they ended up being fantastic. Not every developer gets it right of course, but enough of them do for me to value attempts at least.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Crappy Jack posted:

Focus on a multiplayer mode that would ostensibly mean shooting at people would mean they're focusing on a game engine that relies on shooting at people. It's a good sign considering that the one thing everyone is worried about is that this game is about shooting people. The fact that they're apparently focusing their efforts elsewhere is, if nothing else, a pretty decent sign that they're focusing their efforts elsewhere.

I think you are being a bit unfair. I am going to use Aliens Colonial Marines as a frame of reference, but it was a FPS but playing as the Aliens was quite fun despite the singleplayer game not being made for you to do so. I mean, the versus sucked for other reasons that were easily fixable.

Likewise, Splinter Cell wasn't really created for FPS gameplay, but that didn't stop the spies vs Mercs mode from being pretty drat good and actually quite a bit different from what single player offers

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
As I recall the game devs did mention there are guns in the game along with melee weapons, so the combat is already in the game. Granted, it seems to be primarily a stealth game but once you give the player a weapon, there's no excuse for not putting some focus onto the combat to make it decently fun for when you do have to use weapons, and once you have decently fun combat, you could already toss in a deathmatch mode, in addition to any game mode like MUFFINS described.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I seem to have phrased that badly, I didn't mean to say that multiplayer would in and of itself be a bad sign, and I do agree there would be plenty of ways to have a good multiplayer mode, I was just saying that it was at least a good sign that they didn't put out, like, a trailer showing their super awesome FPS deathmatch mode with co-op horde mode that reveals that the game is a shooter at heart.

There's that one thing that we're all really worried about, which is this game turning into another bog-standard FPS with you gunning down androids or whatever. Like DrProsek mentions, the fact that they didn't just take the assets they had in the game and put in a shoehorned FPS multiplayer mode is a good sign that they're not just making another Colonial Marines.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

I don't see how a multiplayer mode for Infestation would require any shooting, when the whole premise seems to revolve around avoidance rather than confrontation. A multiplayer mode of say three or four humans trying to complete an objective with a human controlled alien lurking about would probably be really fun and entertaining, even if it was a glorified version of hide and seek. I think psyman raised a pretty valid point to be honest since I'd agree that yeah, there's been singleplayer-focused games that introduced multiplayer components despite fan resistance, and they ended up being fantastic. Not every developer gets it right of course, but enough of them do for me to value attempts at least.

Have you heard about Evolve?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

VarXX posted:

Have you heard about Evolve?

Yeah, I love the idea (especially with going for Shadow of the Colossus scale) and the dev team have a solid pedigree, but I tend to not pay much attention to any games until I have gameplay footage to watch. It's on my radar, though, and I'm pleased to see so many new IPs appearing in the FPS market after having games like COD/Battlefield/Halo run it into the ground.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

90% of the time a multiplayer mode is barely used after the first week of launch and was nothing but a huge waste of time, money and disc space. Yeah you get plenty of gems that are worth playing, but they come from games built around the sort of combat or stories that lend themselves to multiplayer. Bioshock 2 was never going to make for a popular multiplayer game. Spec Ops was never going to make for a popular multiplayer game. First person, combat light (or none at all) puzzle horror games do not loving make popular multiplayer modes.

Dismissing the very idea straight away isn't only good for the game, but it's a sign of a responsible publisher. Multiplayer means inflated budgets, higher sales targets, disappointing results and closed studios. Only an idiot would attempt it if it doesn't have a drat good chance of succeeding, which an MP mode in Isolation obviously wont.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Honestly, they're trying to make a decent single-player survival horror game to revive a toppling franchise and you guys think that multiplayer is a good idea, and you're still worried about it being a shooter? Are you watching these trailers, or what?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The concerns about it being a shooter probably stem more from the October leak, where the anonymous CA source said that the game includes the player shooting through humans and synthetic opponents at some point in the game. It's from a while ago, it was an anonymous leak (which was nonetheless accurate about details such as the protagonist being Ripley's daughter) so it could be out-of-date, but I think after the blatant deception the Colonial Marines game pulled on people, some serious scepticism isn't out of place.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Steve2911 posted:

90% of the time a multiplayer mode is barely used after the first week of launch and was nothing but a huge waste of time, money and disc space. Yeah you get plenty of gems that are worth playing, but they come from games built around the sort of combat or stories that lend themselves to multiplayer. Bioshock 2 was never going to make for a popular multiplayer game. Spec Ops was never going to make for a popular multiplayer game. First person, combat light (or none at all) puzzle horror games do not loving make popular multiplayer modes.

Bioshock 2's multiplayer was actually pretty fun for what it was as was Dead Space 2's. Not saying they were necessary but they weren't the worst thing ever.

Those awards goes to The Darkness and Condemned 2's multiplayer modes. Good lord what the gently caress.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Honestly, they're trying to make a decent single-player survival horror game to revive a toppling franchise and you guys think that multiplayer is a good idea, and you're still worried about it being a shooter? Are you watching these trailers, or what?

I cant blame the paranoia. The stench from ACMs corpse is still ripe, and we got six years of 'honesty' from SEGA, Gearbox, and the preview crews. Taking another leap of faith right now would be astronomically stupid.

Granted, SEGA should drat well know by now that if this title turns out to be a turd theyll have farted away their last chance at any semblance of profit. That coupled with the pending lawsuit over Pitchfords snake oil will ruin the franchise for at least this generations fanbase. Failing twice in a row in such rapid succession would be hilariously damaging.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yodzilla posted:

Bioshock 2's multiplayer was actually pretty fun for what it was as was Dead Space 2's. Not saying they were necessary but they weren't the worst thing ever.
I'm not saying they can't be well made or enjoyable, but if 2K genuinely thought people would actually play Bioshock 2 online for more than 20 minutes they were out of their loving minds.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Steve2911 posted:

Dismissing the very idea straight away isn't only good for the game, but it's a sign of a responsible publisher. Multiplayer means inflated budgets, higher sales targets, disappointing results and closed studios. Only an idiot would attempt it if it doesn't have a drat good chance of succeeding, which an MP mode in Isolation obviously wont.

Pretty much this right here. Bravo sir.

The big problem with tacked-on multiplayer is that it exists because a lot of studio execs believe that a game won't sell if it doesn't have multiplayer. Ridiculous, but unfortunately a believed truth. So when I see a game that could have multiplayer but forgoes it, I have some joy that someone in the executive lounge wasn't THAT stupid.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Steve2911 posted:

I'm not saying they can't be well made or enjoyable, but if 2K genuinely thought people would actually play Bioshock 2 online for more than 20 minutes they were out of their loving minds.

Yyyep. At least we seem to be mostly out of the "every game needs to have multiplayer" woods.

...and straight into the dark heart of "every game needs to have IAP." :negative:

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Yodzilla posted:

...and straight into the dark heart of "every game needs to have IAP." :negative:

I think it's more 'every game CAN have IAP (and people will spend more)'

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Games have gone from "day one DLC/Gamestop exclusive poo poo" to the "season pass" model, at least, which is honestly much better for the consumer who waits for the season pass price to go down.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
I wonder how much ACM poisoned the well for season pass stuff, at least for this fanbase?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Developing a multiplayer mode taxes a lot of a developers' resources. I really can't blame a developer for not tacking it on.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I wonder how much ACM poisoned the well for season pass stuff, at least for this everyones fanbase?

Here let me fix that so it reflects the truth.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I wonder how much ACM poisoned the well for season pass stuff, at least for this fanbase?

Not sure it's all THAT bad. I am generally sure the ratio of 'lovely Season Pass' to 'Good Season Pass' is still quite skewed in the direction of 'Good'.

What were the final entry releases for the A:CM season pass? Bug Hunt, Story poo poo and...?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Wildly optimistic people getting their hopes up over a new Aliens game while theorizing and predicting despite very limited information to go by. This thread has come full circle and it is beautiful.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

FastestGunAlive posted:

Wildly optimistic people getting their hopes up over a new Aliens game while theorizing and predicting despite very limited information to go by. This thread has come full circle and it is beautiful.

Isnt it great? Goons never learn.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

DLC season passes are just the logical next step in gaming's hype-based economy where getting people to buy games before they're even out accounts for a huge part of their income. ACM isn't going to kill off season passes any more than Black & White killed off pre-orders.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Nthman posted:

I think we need to wait to see if anyone preorders before making statements like that. A:CM was a very bad game but its badness does mean people can't get excited about the potential of a new game. 'Wouldn't it be cool if...' Is not the same as 'I'm gonna pre-order this AND the season pass on hype alone!'

No one should preorder a game ever but there's nothing wrong with excited speculation.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Come on, when it comes to goons, excited speculation equals pre-orders. "This looks awesome and in the worst case scenario I'm only out of $50 and it can't be worse than Colonial Marines, right?" is the next step and you know it. The drive could be even stronger as pre-ordering this game if it turns out good would totally invalidate wasting money on the previous one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm not preordering until I see reviews. If Sega puts on a launch day embargo then it's their loss.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
A:CM Collectors Edition taught me to never pre-order anything. That lesson cost me $100. I had a bit of fun with the game at first but it's seriously not worth more than $10.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SBJ posted:

A:CM Collectors Edition taught me to never pre-order anything. That lesson cost me $100. I had a bit of fun with the game at first but it's seriously not worth more than $10.

The SWTOR CE is £120 I'll never get back. The statue's a nice dust magnet though.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

The SWTOR CE is £120 I'll never get back. The statue's a nice dust magnet though.

we've all been there..hellgate london lifetime subscriber here :negative:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The only games I ever preorder are from established series of games I've enjoyed time and time again because I know I'm going to want that game the day it comes out. If it's a new IP or something like this I wait for reviews and buy it a little later. Even with those games I do preorder I never do season passes, though.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Nthman posted:

I did. I don't tend to preorder much, since I don't play video games as much as I used to anymore, but after A:CM the only time I imagine it'll ever happen again is if I preorder Dark Souls 2. For pretty much anything else, I'm more than happy to wait and see how it pans out.

I think the general concept sounds interesting, and it's something that a lot of people have described wanting, but that was how A:CM looked at first too. I'll remain cautiously optimistic about it, and see what it's like when it drops, and then if it's good, I'll pick it up later.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

No game is worth preordering even if you are 100% certain that you will love it, because even then you can run into launch day/week/month woes that make your preorder a waste. There's not just the problem of worrying about a game being terrible, but this industry has a tendency to rush out broken and unfinished products with alarming regularity, so I wouldn't say any game is worth touching until at least 2 weeks after launch, with a month being the most sensible option.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FastestGunAlive posted:

No, this thread hasn't come full circle until someone goes "gently caress the haters, this game will be AWESOME".

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

DLC season passes are just the logical next step in gaming's hype-based economy where getting people to buy games before they're even out accounts for a huge part of their income. ACM isn't going to kill off season passes any more than Black & White killed off pre-orders.

Oh no, I'm not speaking broadly on that, I'm talking solely about the fans of this franchise. After following the GBX forums for the last ~year I've seen a majority shunning any sort of season pass model after getting burned on A:CM's $30 miracle content. Let's hope Creative Assembly takes that in mind before going that route with any sort of confidence.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Hakkesshu posted:

No, this thread hasn't come full circle until someone goes "gently caress the haters, this game will be AWESOME".

We will get there. I don't have faith in this that much because from the get-go the story sound loving stupid. No one gives a poo poo about Ripley's daughter but for some reason, developers always have this hard on for going with the familiar. That is one of the reasons I think that Alien 3 had guts, because it killed off a several of the familiar characters right from the get-go.

Also, I am just waiting for them to announce the bombshell that this game is going to eventually go in the opposite direction of what people think as at the halfway point Weyland Yutani shows up and you have to mow down half of their army.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I'm waiting for the announcement of Lance Henrikson being in the game. He's been in Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Vs. Predator movie, Alien Vs. Predator game, Aliens: Colonial Marines and heck, probably more games I'm forgetting about. I wonder who else they could shoehorn in, maybe a young version of Hudson?!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Also, I am just waiting for them to announce the bombshell that this game is going to eventually go in the opposite direction of what people think as at the halfway point Weyland Yutani shows up and you have to mow down half of their army.

That's not really the opposite direction of what people think. The second they announced this game, everybody immediately figured that's exactly what it would end up being. "Oh, only one alien? I bet that means we're shooting mercs or androids in the meantime, then."

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

MUFFlNS posted:

I'm waiting for the announcement of Lance Henrikson being in the game. He's been in Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Vs. Predator movie, Alien Vs. Predator game, Aliens: Colonial Marines and heck, probably more games I'm forgetting about. I wonder who else they could shoehorn in, maybe a young version of Hudson?!

Hopefully Ian Holm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizzaroprOn
Jan 19, 2005

2 in the chest followed by one in the head

zenintrude posted:

Hopefully Ian Holm.

That would actually be kind of cool. Ash was an android, maybe there was more than one "Ash" in Alien that we don't know about?

• Locked thread