Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've been pulled over in weird spots and asked the cop when they came to the window if they'd prefer if I moved. They've never said yes, even when we were obviously obstructing traffic. Then again, none of them ended up giving me a ticket, either.

I have a friend who was a police officer, and is now a highway patrol reservist, and he echoes every other cop I've ever asked: The officer is choosing to light you up there, and that's his decision. Do not keep going to get under an overpass if it's raining, or to a more attractive piece of shoulder, that's HIS call. If he wants to stay dry, or doesn't like the idea of stopping where you are, he'll just pace you until he's happy with the location, and light you up after that. Just smoothly, and safely pull the car over, and do everything kastein says above. Do NOT go looking for your wallet or registration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kastein posted:

I hope they loving die.

There should be a policy that whoever causes an accident this bad loses however many years of their life that they wasted for others sitting in their traffic jam. gently caress! Stop crashing into people you retards! If you can't pilot your stupid car at the speeds you travel at without playing pinball with it, you have no business having a license. Get the gently caress off the god drat road.

Chill, dude. You seem way angrier than is really warranted.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Coasterphreak posted:

Chill, dude. It's not the end of the world.

This. Calm down.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrYenko posted:

I have a friend who was a police officer, and is now a highway patrol reservist, and he echoes every other cop I've ever asked: The officer is choosing to light you up there, and that's his decision. Do not keep going to get under an overpass if it's raining, or to a more attractive piece of shoulder, that's HIS call. If he wants to stay dry, or doesn't like the idea of stopping where you are, he'll just pace you until he's happy with the location, and light you up after that. Just smoothly, and safely pull the car over, and do everything kastein says above. Do NOT go looking for your wallet or registration.

The cop who pulled me over for speeding on my motorcycle just pulled up beside me at the lights, flashed his badge and told me to pull over after crossing the intersection. I asked if I should go straight to the train station, he pointed to a nice piece of flat shoulder on the road to our left and he said "over there is fine".

Piece of cake (apart from the ~$900 ticker and probational suspension).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
First of all, there was some hyperbole in there. I then went back to surfing the internet.

Second, I was just sitting in traffic for 3 hours on what should have been a 1 hour drive if some idiot hadn't done something really stupid. By my napkin calculation while bored, they wasted around two person-decades of time for everyone stuck behind them as well as badly injuring innocent people in multiple other vehicles. gently caress them :)

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 13, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I just wish I could tag people driving and texting and let them get a break from driving (with photo evidence of course). Just think of how much less traffic there would be :allears:

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

KozmoNaut posted:

The cop who pulled me over for speeding on my motorcycle just pulled up beside me at the lights, flashed his badge and told me to pull over after crossing the intersection. I asked if I should go straight to the train station, he pointed to a nice piece of flat shoulder on the road to our left and he said "over there is fine".

Piece of cake (apart from the ~$900 ticker and probational suspension).

Like, how loving fast did you go? must have done more than 50% over the limit?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

MrYenko posted:

Last time I was pulled over I was on the upper deck of a split level freeway here in Austin. He was in the right lane, I was two lanes over in the fast lane doing 82ish in a 65. Didn't see him behind the big rig. He lit me up and I hit my flashers and slowed down. I then drove at about 60mph to the next exit and pulled into the first parking lot there. I was not going to pull over on the deck where there was no shoulder and endanger myself or this cop just doing his job. I knew I was wrong and was ready to accept the punishment.

I did the whole routine. Car off, window down, hands on wheel. When he came up the first thing I said was "I know I was speeding, officer. I'm sorry for not pulling over immediately but I thought it'd be safer for all if we got off the freeway. I know writing me up will take time and the shoulder on the upper deck is a dangerous place to be exposed."

He looked at me and actually said "Thank you for doing so. You're right about it being safer down here." I handed him my license and CHL as I'm supposed to do when asked. He looked at them and without even returning to his cruiser to run them said "Have a good morning and keep it safe out there."

So there are times where not pulling over immediately are acceptable to the cops.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Brigdh posted:

I was coming out of a store tonight and saw a cop turn on the lights behind a newer VW Beetle. For some reason the Beetle driver decided it would be a good idea to pull into the turn lane between the two directions of traffic, and stop there. I'm sure the cop was thrilled with that.

Edit: reread this and I see you mean the guy just stopped in the suicide lane after he was pulled over. Nothing to see here.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

kastein posted:

If the blues go on and there isn't a good spot to pull over I put the hazards on and slow down, then find a good spot. Then interior lights on, in park or neutral, engine off, foot off the brake pedal so they know I'm not a flight hazard, window down, hands at the top of the wheel, and I ask before moving them.

Also on the subject of this thread, my morning commute is going to take at least 3 hours today because a moron caused a multiple vehicle accident including a semi truck at the i90/i290 exit! Guessing some joker tried to make the exit at the last minute and lost a car/truck battle. There was a lifeflight involved according to a friend. I hope they loving die.

There should be a policy that whoever causes an accident this bad loses however many years of their life that they wasted for others sitting in their traffic jam. gently caress! Stop crashing into people you retards! If you can't pilot your stupid car at the speeds you travel at without playing pinball with it, you have no business having a license. Get the gently caress off the god drat road.

11 miles (and counting) of 3 lane parking lot because one retard was too stupid to control a vehicle at 65 on a road a skilled driver can easily do 120 on.

If it happened the way you think it happened, I can tell you that it's far too common of an occurrence. Idiot comes up behind a big truck in the slow lane, doesn't realize that said truck is accelerating because it happens at a glacial pace sometimes. Passes on the left and swerves across two lanes just in front of me to make the exit. Bonus points if the exit lane or ramp is backed up and they try and stop in the slow lane.

Edit: Video of this happening coming right up.
Edit2: Here you go you traffic sadists; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lai_opwAb5Q&t=135s

0rganDonor fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 13, 2014

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Growing up I swear more people were like, "Oops I missed my turn, I better make a u-turn at the next light." or "Guess I missed this exit, I'll get off on the next one." Well, at least the people I drove with.

Now it seems like every rear end in a top hat is like that's my turn NOW NOW NOW, and they cut across 4 lanes to make a turn or they cause an accident because they're exiting the freeway across the last physically possible place to get off the off-ramp.

I wonder if GPS navigation has anything to do with it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dead Cow posted:

Most GPS devices try pretty hard to prevent it - it's "in 1 mile, turn left" "in 3/4 mile, turn left" "in 1/2 mile, turn left" "in 1/4 mile turn left" "in 500 feet, turn left" "TURN LEFT"

(My record that I've counted so far is 6 voice notifications from a Garmin. Personally, I pay enough attention that the first and the last would be ample.)

I tend to think people as a whole are becoming more selfish and self-centered. I blame the "if we teach our kids to have self-esteem, they'll be more successful!" routine that was popular for awhile (and still is, I guess?).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or they learn by example. Our job is to find the very first driver who cut across lanes to make a turn and created that virus.

Can't stop it from spreading but at least we could punish patient zero.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Apparently I270 was closed today, so I70 Westbound was garbage. And man, people were driving like poo poo. Things I saw:

-People who couldn't keep up with the car in front of them in 15 mile an hour traffic
-People cutting off semi trucks (they don't leave all that room for you to merge, dipshit)
-A bus that would literally force people out of their lane
-People who don't signal and get road rage when, understandably, they aren't let into their desired lane

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Surprisingly I didn't see a single accident.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Dead Cow posted:

I think it's more likely cell phones and other distractions have a lot to do with it. People are too busy texting/talking/loving-around to pay attention to where they are or what is around them. Then they see the sign or something out of the corner of their eye and make a dive for the exit.

When I'm on the motorcycle I will not sit in the right lane unless my exit is within a 1/2 mile or so. Too many idiots doing stupid poo poo merging/exiting/panicking for me. I will sit in the left lane all day (moving over for faster traffic) on the bike, something I wouldn't do in a car.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Dead Cow posted:

It's funny, you'd think GPS would actually alleviate that problem somewhat, since your GPS will just automatically reroute so you don't have to worry that you might get lost if you miss your exit in an unfamiliar area.

I think it's just down to the fact that everything is always done in a hurry all the time in the modern world. We're so obsessed with time and not wasting it that we do stupid things. It doesn't excuse it, but I think that's the reason you see it more now than you did 20 years ago.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
I'll put this down here so you guys don't miss it;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lai_opwAb5Q&t=135s

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Dead Cow posted:

Growing up I swear more people were like, "Oops I missed my turn, I better make a u-turn at the next light." or "Guess I missed this exit, I'll get off on the next one." Well, at least the people I drove with.

Now it seems like every rear end in a top hat is like that's my turn NOW NOW NOW, and they cut across 4 lanes to make a turn or they cause an accident because they're exiting the freeway across the last physically possible place to get off the off-ramp.

I make a habit of trying to avoid any vehicle with a GPS mounted in their windshield. Apparently you can get GPS software for your gigantic iPad these days, and people can mount the iPad directly above their steering wheel, who needs to see out the windshield when the GPS guides you the entire way?

Bonus - these are the idiots I drive with every single day. . . :suicide: (it's all good, but gets more interesting at about 1 minute in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNKfCS_ue-E

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like that red car. "Maybe if I go full lock it'll make the turn!! Just ignore I have the brakes mashed to the floor and none of my wheels are spinning."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I like the Astro. "Ah well." *drives back onto road and leaves*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Driver of the Astro is obviously a veteran of icy roads. Don't fight it, use that momentum to help you along!

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
The way that van just drove away, it had to be a Safari.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Cheers to the Mazda pickup driver who held it together mostly.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

I make a habit of trying to avoid any vehicle with a GPS mounted in their windshield. Apparently you can get GPS software for your gigantic iPad these days, and people can mount the iPad directly above their steering wheel, who needs to see out the windshield when the GPS guides you the entire way?

Bonus - these are the idiots I drive with every single day. . . :suicide: (it's all good, but gets more interesting at about 1 minute in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNKfCS_ue-E

This doesn't surprise me in the least, the ramp to that exit is probably the most dangerous one in the city. I know I hate driving it in my eta, it's hard to get up to speed in time and merge onto 235.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kidney Stone posted:

Like, how loving fast did you go? must have done more than 50% over the limit?

It was for crossing a double line during overtaking and doing 120kph on a 80kph road, not at the same time, though.

$900 ticket and I had to retake both the theory test and the practical test, another $700 or so.

Yeah, I'm one of the people you share a road with (I don't speed anymore, obviously).

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
To bring back the dashcam chat a few pages back, I recently picked up a GoPro Hero 3 for use pretty much everywhere, but I thought that using it as a dashcam wouldn't hurt any. I don't take many long trips over two hours so the standalone record time wouldn't be too bad, and it hides right behind the rear-view mirror on the passenger side so it's nearly invisible to me. I don't use the suction cup, however, I just stuck one of the included 3M giant adhesive quick remove clips on there. Unfortunately the pad is bright white and sticks out like a sore thumb. I might just regularly sharpie the outside windshield and black it out.

The record quality is pretty good for what I need it for; the wide angle lens captures a lot of the road.

That's from the 720p mode.

Caught a pickup truck today that looks like it was one rough railroad crossing away from splitting in two.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Ulfhednar posted:

I don't use the suction cup, however, I just stuck one of the included 3M giant adhesive quick remove clips on there. Unfortunately the pad is bright white and sticks out like a sore thumb. I might just regularly sharpie the outside windshield and black it out.

Be careful with those slide in clips. I've broken 3 of them in 6 months just sliding the cam into and out of my window mount just like that.

GoPro's response? "Are you sure you aren't misusing them?"
Yeah, I fail at slidey-clippy. That's the problem.

Content:
Don't text and drive. If you do, please make sure it's in front of a nice police officer like this guy did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1vUL9dbqQ

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Holy crap the comments in that blaming the officer

I should know better than to read YouTube comments :suicide:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Kill-9 posted:

So there are times where not pulling over immediately are acceptable to the cops.

I'd qualify that one with YMMV. I once got a written warning from an Ohio state highway patrolman (the OSHP has a reputation for not giving out warnings to save their own lives, if you get pulled over you can pretty much assume you're getting cited) after going an extra quarter mile to pull off into a rest stop. OTOH I also had a local cop make a bunch of empty threats when I proceeded less that a city block to pull off of a busy 35 MPH two-lane road when he put his lights on - highlights were "I have you on reckless driving and willfully fleeing an officer," both of which are written in state code as "officer shall arrest;" if he actually had me doing those he legally wasn't allowed to let me off with a verbal warning.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Kill-9 posted:

Content:
Don't text and drive. If you do, please make sure it's in front of a nice police officer like this guy did.

Hahaha, good. I wish all texting and driving episodes ended like this instead of taking out some innocent family or person with hopes and dreams.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

Hahaha, good. I wish all texting and driving episodes ended like this instead of taking out some innocent family or person with hopes and dreams.

How about we institute a bounty policy? If you see a driver texting, you are allowed to dispense any means necessary to get them off the road. To make sure this isn't abused, we can make phones take a picture out front and rear camera every time a text is written. So if you slam some person who was minding his own business, you face heavy fines/jail time/thunder dome/gulag, otherwise you collect a prize

A man can dream.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Horse Divorce posted:

How about we institute a bounty policy? If you see a driver texting, you are allowed to dispense any means necessary to get them off the road. To make sure this isn't abused, we can make phones take a picture out front and rear camera every time a text is written. So if you slam some person who was minding his own business, you face heavy fines/jail time/thunder dome/gulag, otherwise you collect a prize

A man can dream.

man your auto-picture system is going to collect a lot of photos of people on the shitter

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Kill-9 posted:

Be careful with those slide in clips. I've broken 3 of them in 6 months just sliding the cam into and out of my window mount just like that.

GoPro's response? "Are you sure you aren't misusing them?"
Yeah, I fail at slidey-clippy. That's the problem.

Content:

How the hell did the car flip? It looks like he was going maybe 20 or 30mph, hell maybe even 40mph but I doubt it. It looked like the car was quite level after going up on the curb, and then hitting the tree that is more like an over grown shrub. I guess the tree is tougher than it looks and made out of loving rubber if it could just bounce the car like that.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Colonel Sanders posted:

How the hell did the car flip? It looks like he was going maybe 20 or 30mph, hell maybe even 40mph but I doubt it. It looked like the car was quite level after going up on the curb, and then hitting the tree that is more like an over grown shrub. I guess the tree is tougher than it looks and made out of loving rubber if it could just bounce the car like that.

Trees always win.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yes trees are tough. Just one question, is the cop just sitting there while the guy is crawling out?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Horse Divorce posted:

A man can dream.

...But what about stoplights? :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CharlesM posted:

Just one question, is the cop just sitting there while the guy is crawling out?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Last summer was real tempting when people started driving with their windows down. I'd be out riding and see the typical 'distracted driver' ahead and eventually end up next to them at a light, only to see their face full of phone. I really wanted to just grab it and chuck it off the road, then take off. I actually considered grabbing it and tossing it in their passenger seat. In reality I just mime talking on a phone and swerve around my lane and hope that it gets thru, provided they've looked away from the phone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlesM posted:

Yes trees are tough. Just one question, is the cop just sitting there while the guy is crawling out?

I would have to assume he's on the radio calling for EMS and additional support before he runs out of the car with nothing but his dick in his hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

CharlesM posted:

I would hope not. He's probably laughing his rear end off, which is the only appropriate response.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 14, 2014