Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Jeffrey posted:

That sort of invalidates his reasons for warring against Renly if he wasn't also openly warring with Robert.

Robert didn't inherit the title, he led a rebellion against the other dude. Renly and Stannis are fighting because they're in Robert's line of succession if you ignore the incestuous shits he calls kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It would be completely within the horrible wheelhouse of Gurm to go back in time, steal Patrick Stewart from the visionary direction of David Lynch, rob us of ST:TNG and give him to the director who has a permanent parent company lobbyist for more on screen poonani.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The whole legitimacy of that claim was based on some handwavy logic about baratheons being an offshoot of targs, seems in character for Stannis being the one to take that seriously. Balon wouldn't have let that fly if Victarion conquered Westeros, Stannis seems just as :colbert: if not more.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If any old englishman should be in Game of Thrones, it should be David Attenborough.

As the narrator of all sex scenes.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

poo poo, maybe he can play Howland Reed.

You will never meet Howland Reed. ever.

Or perhaps you ALREADY HAVE!

Look closely in your next re-read!

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Aurain posted:

If any old englishman should be in Game of Thrones, it should be David Attenborough.

As the narrator of all sex scenes.

Tell me he wouldn't be the best maester.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He'd be the best anything, lets be honest.

Even the best Kaleesi and especially the best *~*Daario*~*.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
drat. I've been gone for months and I swear to god this thread hasn't changed one bit. Also, what in the gently caress happened to GBS?

edit: VVV Well, duh!

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 8, 2014

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Contra Calculus posted:

drat. I've been gone for months and I swear to god this thread hasn't changed one bit.

it is you who have not change my friend. this thread is but a mirror of your true self.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

PittTheElder posted:

Well it's kind of like the War of the Roses, in that it's two noble houses involved in a battle that earlier in the books looked like it would decide who would be King at the end. And also we have a claimant descended from a previous monarch living across the sea who nobody is really paying attention to.

Other than that it's not all that similar. It probably just is a sort of inspiration, where GRRM took the rough situation from the War of the Roses and then did his own thing.

The most discerning difference is that the war of the roses had an ending and a song of ice and fire never will

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hunky Joe posted:

The most discerning difference is that the war of the roses had an ending and a song of ice and fire never will

Yes it will, and it will be based on the popular HBO TV-series Game of Thrones.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

kcroy posted:

Yeeeeeeah that's gonna happen never.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Hogge Wild posted:

Yes it will, and it will be based on the popular HBO TV-series Game of Thrones.

As long as it's a comic book, because regular books have too many :words:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Contra Calculus posted:

Also, what in the gently caress happened to GBS?

It got a lot better

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

That sort of invalidates his reasons for warring against Renly if he wasn't also openly warring with Robert.

It could work since Robert declared the rebellion and was the conqueror; it kind of takes the older brother thing out of it until Robert passes away. It complicates the story but would totally be worth it for Patrick Stewart as Stannis (plus they've done deviations from the books that are at least as big, and it's not like show watchers know what the hell is going on anyway).

kcroy posted:

You will never meet Howland Reed. ever.

Or perhaps you ALREADY HAVE!

Wait what? Please tell me where this is I can't read these books again.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

p.crestmont posted:

Wait what? Please tell me where this is I can't read these books again.

He gained a lot of weight in his twilight years. Changed his name to Manderly and became a mermaid. Also acquired a taste for pie made out of human beings.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Contra Calculus posted:

Also, what in the gently caress happened to GBS?

They removed all rules. The first few weeks were pretty rough, and if you go in there you should maybe turn off sigs because the fyad/fyadlite tradition of colossal, ugly signatures migrated to GBS as well.

It's not as serious anymore, but it's still just as unfunny as ever.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Didn't everyone in it claim the "Star Wars meets 9/11" thread as the ends justifying the means? That was a pretty funny bunch of photoshops.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

They removed all rules. The first few weeks were pretty rough, and if you go in there you should maybe turn off sigs because the fyad/fyadlite tradition of colossal, ugly signatures migrated to GBS as well.

I just stay away from the new GBS. It turned into FYAD, but with more "ironic" racism and rape jokes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joramun posted:

As long as it's a comic book, because regular books have too many :words:

Hear me out.

Pop up picture book.
Fat pink mast.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Sigs were never on for me. Huh... weird. Yeah, well at least the Abe gets Owned thread was a good read.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Mr.48 posted:

I just stay away from the new GBS. It turned into FYAD, but with more "ironic" racism and rape jokes.

So you're just jelly that they stole from this thread?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SaviourX posted:

So you're just jelly that they stole from this thread?

All art is theft. So whatever they're doing in GBS it isn't that.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I read the Dangerous women anthology edited by GRRM and some Gardner guy.
Sanderson har one of the better stories, which says it all.

Also, citing Gardner Dozois:
"“Here you’ll find no hapless victims who stand by whimpering in dread while the male hero fights the monster or clashes swords with the villain ... And if you want to tie these women to the railroad tracks, you’ll find you have a real fight on your hands.”
Which is kinda interesting, since one story literally ends with a women being raped and strangled. Oh, and some incest as well. Author: Lawrence Block

Oh, and one Wild Card writer, Melinda Snodgrass, have a story line basically being about loving a furry.
Also one Wild Card novel by Caroline Spector, featuring guess what...
And that is not all of the stories.

And of course GRRMs part is featuring the Targaryens with his unique blend of incest and not moving his loving storyline a single step forward.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Oh look, a trailer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why did Nikolaj Coster-Waldau cut his hair this season will suck.

Also for all the other reasons it will suck, but mostly that first reason.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Aurain posted:

Why did Nikolaj Coster-Waldau cut his hair this season will suck.

Also for all the other reasons it will suck, but mostly that first reason.

He has his hair like that at this point in the book as well. For once they're staying true to the source material and you're complaining?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He had a big rear end beard at that point too but that's gone as well.

Mostly I'm sad because he doesn't look as handsome and cool though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Joramun posted:

He has his hair like that at this point in the book as well. For once they're staying true to the source material and you're complaining?

Wait, that's not the default reason for complaining?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Aurain posted:

Mostly I'm sad because he doesn't look as handsome and cool though.

I think he looks cooler now, to be honest. The long hair made him seem frivolous, but the shorter cut now makes him seem serious for once. Like I could believe earlier Jaime was a badass who could beat you in a fight, but this one now makes you think he won't gently caress around and you'll just be dead before you know what happened.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
It's A Feast for Crows season that's coming up right? Were there any "nuncle"s in the trailer?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

savinhill posted:

It's A Feast for Crows season that's coming up right?

No, second half of Storm of Swords. Joffrey, Oberyn, Ygritte, Lysa and Tywin's deaths.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Isn't Lysa's death in feast for crows? Or is that all scheming and appeasing those lord dudes?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The next season is mostly the latter third of ASOS but the trailer shows material from both AFFC and ADWD.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

Isn't Lysa's death in feast for crows?
No, Littlefinger kills her at the end of ASOS.

Jeffrey posted:

Or is that all scheming and appeasing those lord dudes?
Yes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Are they really going to have Petyr Baelish's old man actor make out with Sansa Stark's young lady actress next year?

I hope that they imply it as they cut away or something.
It's HBO though, so I'm sure they'll go one step further and have him bang her in the Snow Winterfell or something.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Aurain posted:

Are they really going to have Petyr Baelish's old man actor make out with Sansa Stark's young lady actress next year?

Fun fact: Sophie Turner was born in 1996, the same year that A Game of Thrones first came out. It's like it was written in the stars.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think he looks cooler now, to be honest. The long hair made him seem frivolous, but the shorter cut now makes him seem serious for once. Like I could believe earlier Jaime was a badass who could beat you in a fight, but this one now makes you think he won't gently caress around and you'll just be dead before you know what happened.

He can't even use a fork, how the hell could he damage you in any way?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Aurain posted:

I hope that they imply it as they cut away or something.
It's HBO though, so I'm sure they'll go one step further and have him bang her in the Snow Winterfell or something.

Haha you think that's not what Grrm is gonna have him do. Girl's getting littlefingered one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can imagine it now.
"Aiden has refused to be in this scene, it's morally wrong accoring to that plebeian!" "Is that so George? What should we do?" "Body double." *George drops his pantaloons, revealing his fat pink mast gesticulating at a revolted Sophie Turner.