Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Helix starts Jan 10th @ 10pm, my DVR is already set. Starring Billy Campbell (The Rocketeer), a bunch of people who look like SyFy movie regulars, and Jeri Ryan is in for a couple episodes.

Couple more new shows: Bitten (sexy werewolves) and Opposite Worlds (reality). OW sounds interesting, a house divided by a glass wall; one side futuristic the other stuck in the past.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=111715

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Helix is awful, even by SyFy standards. It's dumb with no redeeming quality.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If wormil hates it, then I must check it out. I usually enjoy the stuff he hates.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I actually didn't mind Helix. It's got potential, but it's not there yet.

Meanwhile, Bitten... that's awful.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GreenNight posted:

If wormil hates it, then I must check it out. I usually enjoy the stuff he hates.

Then Helix will be your favorite show of all time! :barf:

Actually I didn't hate it but was incredibly bored and spent most of the two episodes reading the forums on my phone. I'm a sucker for outbreak/mystery movies but the characters are one dimensional, the drama is conveniently planned out (CDC boss + brother who had affair with boss's wife + ex-wife who wants to be in charge + pretty lab assistant with crush on boss + mysterious military guy + Japanese scientist who is ridiculously obvious about hiding that he knows more than he's telling). Inevitably one or more of the "villains" will be a red herring, a good guy in bad guy disguise. The son will turn against the father. There will be constant tension between man & ex-wife which will cause tension with pretty lab assistant. More and more of each episode will focus on the drama while the mystery becomes a moving goal post. But yeah, I didn't totally hate it (just mostly).

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

e: nm

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Can someone get a new thread up for Being Human? If no one is up for it, we can use this one. Season 4 premiere was tonight.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Syfy's new Big Brother-esque reality competition series Opposite Worlds starts tomorrow. Pits two teams against each other, with the winning side getting "the future" which is luxury and the other side "the past" which is crappy caveman. Airs two shows weekly, a taped Tuesday show, and a live Wednesday show.

http://www.syfy.com/oppositeworlds

It's hosted by Luke Tipple, who just recently hosted the underrated Capture on CW last year.

Here's their spiel:

Syfy posted:

Opposite Worlds is a competitive reality series, airing Tuesdays at 10/9c and Wednesdays (LIVE!) at 10/9c. In Opposite Worlds, 14 people face off on opposing teams that live in a house separated into two distinctly different worlds: one past and one future, each with its own unique advantages and disadvantages.

Adding to the drama is a glass wall dividing the house into the two environments, allowing the teams to watch, envy and dread each other's every move. Every week, cast members compete in a series of fast-paced challenges that determine where each team lives, as well as who stays….and who goes home. Amidst all of this, viewers will be asked to participate in real time on Twitter and affect the outcome of each player's fate.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Being Human is still a fun show but like Haven, I'll be surprised if it gets renewed.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Not sure what kind of ratings they're happy with currently. Being Human pulled a .5. Haven was getting a .4. Helix premiere got a .6. Last Fridays Helix ratings have yet to be posted. Syfy's originals aren't doing that great, but for what they're airing currently, they're doing decently? Their non-Canadian dramatic originals are consistently in the top 100 shows. Only Face Off places that highly in their reality fare, everything else has been bombing.

There's also a somewhat relevant interview here about their genre push:

http://www.adweek.com/news/television/can-syfy-bring-back-sci-fi-155069

AdWeek about Bill McGoldrick posted:

Bill McGoldrick, who in November was named evp, original content at Syfy in the wake of Mark Stern’s departure, said he’s been recruiting high-profile talent like Helix’s Ron Moore. “I’m definitely out there pounding on everybody’s door who has a name in the genre,” McGoldrick said. “And we’re open to people who aren’t necessarily associated with the genre but have a great idea.”

While genre shows threaten to oversaturate the market, McGoldrick thinks you can never have too much of a good thing. “[Because] everyone’s doing it, there are a lot of young writers …around town who are thinking about genre but wouldn’t have been 10 years ago,” he said.

McGoldrick thinks genre will prove to be an incubator for great new talent in the way that The Sopranos showcased the writing chops of one of today’s top showrunners. “You saw the name ‘Matt Weiner’ every week,” he said. “[The next version of] that guy is probably on the Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead staff right now.”

If nothing else, a scripted hit would go a long way toward pumping up Syfy’s ad rates. “We use the network for its efficient CPM,” said one buyer. “It’s priced similarly to other networks of the same rating. You get some incremental reach and a somewhat unique audience.” (Syfy is one of a handful of nets that skews primarily male.)

In a sense, the fight for higher CPMs starts with kicking genre bias to the curb. “You can tell good adult stories in the genre,” McGoldrick said. “The pitches I’m hearing … people are approaching [us] as seriously as they would HBO.”

You get the sense they want new content, but I'm not sure that will come at the cost of some of their existing shows yet. At least they seem happy to give their somewhat steady originals 60-70 episode runs, which Being Human and Haven would both reach with another season.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Opposite Worlds isn't too bad, although maybe part of that is because I really, really want to see the pro gamer, the "self-employed stylist", and NOO YAWK FIAHFITAH (who spends 2-3 hours a day in the bathroom shaving his entire body) stuck in the stone age.

For the rest of their lives, preferably.

The stone age guys seem mostly alright, just poo poo at starting a fire with flint and steel (which, admittedly, often takes a while to succeed at).

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 22, 2014

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I thought it was decent as well. Sucks for the guy who apparently broke his leg in the first comp.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Teek posted:

I thought it was decent as well. Sucks for the guy who apparently broke his leg in the first comp.

Yeah, that's a lot of the reason I want to see the stylist guy exiled to past-land. I looked away at the wrong second, did he seriously just full-on tackle that guy (Charles, I think)? What did he think was going to happen there, I wonder. Like, if you tackle a dude then you're obviously both going over the side.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I'm a sucker for bad television, I'll admit, but the fact that I literally just watched a reality competition show where twelve adults in unitards sumo-wrestled with stun guns on a six-foot high platform? Color me intrigued, Opposite Worlds. You have my attention. :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just got around to watching last week's Being Human and man, that show throws completely dark. Nobody can ever really be happy on that show, Aiden's wife comes back and we find out (but Aiden doesn't) that she killed their son right after she was turned into a vampire.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm wondering where they are going with that. "Oh hey, I'm back after hundreds of years!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Syfy is looking to turn the comic book DMZ into a series. Taking place an indeterminate time in the future after a second Civil War has turned America against itself. The book follows Matty Roth, an independent journalist in the titular DMZ of Manhattan. It'll be interesting to see if the show stays as political as the comic was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

Syfy is looking to turn the comic book DMZ into a series. Taking place an indeterminate time in the future after a second Civil War has turned America against itself. The book follows Matty Roth, an independent journalist in the titular DMZ of Manhattan. It'll be interesting to see if the show stays as political as the comic was.

Man, yet another comic based series. And based on one of my favorite comics to boot!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Being Human continues to be one of my favorite shows. I really laughed at Aiden reminiscing about the 80s when "every vampire knew karate. The stakes would go away and then it was all front kicks and sweep the leg."

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Being Human continues to be one of my favorite shows. I really laughed at Aiden reminiscing about the 80s when "every vampire knew karate. The stakes would go away and then it was all front kicks and sweep the leg."

I loved how Sally's reaction to 20's era Aidan's mustache mirrored my reaction to it a couple seasons ago. Also "The curtain"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Being Human has been canceled:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/02/25/being-human-canceled-after-four-seasons-by-syfy/240192/

Sucks because I'm sure it'll end on a cliffhanger.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

First Warehouse 13 and now this. I'm still surprised as gently caress Haven got renewed because it seems they're cleaning house.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I only hope they gave the writers enough advance warning to cap it off properly. They've been pretty good about that with other series but it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

Oh well, that show never got beyond guilty pleasure for me but it was still a pleasure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It'd officially become my girlfriend's favorite show. She's gonna be pissed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, that sucks. Its not the best show ever but I liked it and the cast has a great chemistry.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I just caught up on Being Human and man it's a brutal show. They poo poo on the characters at every opportunity.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GreenNight posted:

I just caught up on Being Human and man it's a brutal show. They poo poo on the characters at every opportunity.

Did it end up being better than the original?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

wormil posted:

Did it end up being better than the original?

Yeah, definitely.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, they've started advertising it as the Final Season/on the path to the series finale.

Looks like the upcoming plot is Sally's time travel shenanigans keep Danny from killing her, thus causing pretty much the entire show to not happen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sally deciding to just live in her past self is kind of creepy. Also being a big fool and changing all the past.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sally deciding to just live in her past self is kind of creepy. Also being a big fool and changing all the past.

I missed it, is she possessing her past body?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I missed it, is she possessing her past body?

Yeah, that's how she kept Danny from killing her. She possessed her body and just beat the poo poo out of him.

Edit: Crap, I just realized something bad about this timeline, Bishop is still alive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure what the show runners have said but it really feels like they got the news about the series ending halfway through the season. Mostly because if they continue with the story started last night they've completely blown up everyone else's storylines. So no conclusion to the Josh stuff, nothing for Aiden and the Lil Smokie thing is dropped too even though it seemed like it was building towards something what with her killing Robbie.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, that's how she kept Danny from killing her. She possessed her body and just beat the poo poo out of him.

Edit: Crap, I just realized something bad about this timeline, Bishop is still alive.

I think its safe to say, based on last night, that Sally dying will drive Aiden back into Bishops arms, and that can only end terribly as his wife comes back and murders them all

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Syfy has ordered a six hour mini-series called Ascension:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/13/syfy-orders-six-hour-event-series-ascension/

Description makes it sounds interesting.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

quote:

...a covert space mission launched by the U.S. government in 1963, which sent hundreds of men, women, and children on a century-long voyage aboard a starship called Ascension to populate a new world

1963, during the Mercury program, seems like an odd choice. The amount of retconning necessary to make that seem plausible fills me with doubt. Might as well have made it 1953 using a spaceship recovered from the Nazis. It could exist in the same universe as Iron Sky :awesomelon:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How many episodes of Being Human are left?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

haveblue posted:

How many episodes of Being Human are left?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Warehouse 13 comes back soon and that's over too. It's why I was surprised they renewed Haven, seems like that whole period of shows is on the chopping block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Teek posted:

Syfy has ordered a six hour mini-series called Ascension:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/13/syfy-orders-six-hour-event-series-ascension/

Description makes it sounds interesting.

I'm fully down with this. Now here's hoping it actually happens. How many new shows was Syfy looking at this time last year, none of which happened?