Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

1st AD posted:

It's still kind of creepy to me because the show spends a lot of time infantilizing Annie.

Annie may do what Annie may so just sit back and enjoy the Annie may

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

El Tortuga posted:

I'm gonna need a little explaining on this because a) British nationalism is fascinating to this American, and b) most of that just sounded a little bit like English, but still not.

A brummie is someone from Birmingham. To be fair I just looked him up and his parents actually are from Liverpool, I just mean a guy from birmingham and with that typical posh London accent/style you usually see wouldn't be the type of the guy to support them.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Bown posted:

:ssh: it's a quote from the show

Well damnit.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Chairman Mao posted:

He's got a podcast though, he should just start putting out unofficial commentaries there and getting people to sync it themselves. It's not like the idea's never been done before.
Yeah, but at this point he probably wants to keep Community on the air as well as keep the job he was just rehired to do. Doing a profane, unofficial commentary could get him fired again.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Senor Tron posted:

I think more than anything else it's restraint out of respect for some of the people who worked on Season 4, and the fact that he has to work with some of them After those initial controversial comments it seems Harmon has adopted the stance of "if you can't say anything nice, say nothing".

He's adopted more of a "barely restrained anger that I can't just make whatever joke I want, why do people keep trying to make me feel bad for making rape jokes, you're silencing my creativity" stance. I like Harmontown, and Dan's a great writer, but I wish he would loving let it go. You can always tell when he's going to rant about being called out for rape jokes without actually saying that's what he's talking about, and I feel like turning it off every time.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
I loved this show, and bored all of my friends about it, until season 4 at least. I just drifted away from it, and very occasionally would feel a bit sad when I remembered the good times.
I watched the first 3 of this season and it's like an old friend returning.
I'm away to give season 4 a second try. Then re-watch 1-3.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I hate it when creative comedic types say whatever is on their mind without first checking their privilege and/or considering whether or not it's going to offend someone.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Victor Vermis posted:

I hate it when creative comedic types say whatever is on their mind without first checking their privilege and/or considering whether or not it's going to offend someone.

No one cares.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Nevvy Z posted:

No one cares.

Exactly the sort of sentiment I'd expect from someone with a known rapist as their avatar. Shame on you.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The easier goof on the Liverpool match party is the time zone wackiness. Wouldn't it have been like 4 am there?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Interesting how Troy says he's into Butt Stuff but can't handle a quarter down his crack :colbert:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Victor Vermis posted:

Exactly the sort of sentiment I'd expect from someone with a known rapist as their avatar. Shame on you.

Someone else bought me this. Check your avatar privelege.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

Doakes posted:

A brummie is someone from Birmingham. To be fair I just looked him up and his parents actually are from Liverpool, I just mean a guy from birmingham and with that typical posh London accent/style you usually see wouldn't be the type of the guy to support them.

I believe that John Oliver is a Liverpool fan, so maybe they based it on that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mods namechange to asscrack.wav

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Bown posted:

Yeah, I was kidding that his comments were acceptable. He said it was like watching his family being held down and raped on a park bench.
I thought that was his take on the entire season, not just Jeff's dad.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Just rewatched the three Season 5 eps in more conducive to noticing minutiae circumstances, and I laughed a lot more. I'm trying to figure out what Garrett says when the Minus Riot starts.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Looks like Chevy's picked up a new gig:

Untitled Chevy Chase Project
The original stars of National Lampoon's "Vacation" franchise - Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo - are reuniting for a single-camera comedy project which has scored a production commitment by ABC. The pair play a couple finally enjoying their golden years who are forced to raise their grandchildren due to unforeseen circumstances. The project is being eyed for a debut during the 2015-16 TV season.

I guess they got the idea from those Old Navy ads?

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Show's gonna last three five weeks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wasnt Chevy blubbering about how TV was beneath him some time early on in Community?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wasnt Chevy blubbering about how TV was beneath him some time early on in Community?

Pretty sure he was tripping whilst wearing a beastmaster costume at the time.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
“[Community]was a big mistake! I just sort of hung around because I have three daughters and a wife, and I figured out I might as well make some bread, every week, so I can take care of them in the way they want … The hours are hideous, and it’s still a sitcom on television, which is probably the lowest form of television.”

:allears:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Sakarja posted:

It has to get ordered to series first before we can talk about it going that far.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sakarja posted:

Six unaired episodes on a DVD and a blooper reel!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Sakarja posted:

“[Community]was a big mistake! I just sort of hung around because I have three daughters and a wife, and I figured out I might as well make some bread, every week, so I can take care of them in the way they want … The hours are hideous, and it’s still a sitcom on television, which is probably the lowest form of television.”

:allears:

Yeah not nearly as high class as sketch comedy!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

He filmed a loving TV commercial too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will just leave this here

https://twitter.com/CommunityS20/status/280413212778835968

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What was the first Community episode that was shot or presented in a different style? I went back and watched Modern Warfare and it was obviously different subject matter than usual but the directing and presentation was more or less series-standard.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I had a quick look through the episode list of series 1 and to me it looks like it was Contemporary American Poultry (episode 21) but I could be wrong

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Paperhouse posted:

I had a quick look through the episode list of series 1 and to me it looks like it was Contemporary American Poultry (episode 21) but I could be wrong

That's the one that stands out to me as the one where they realized they could go hog wild. There are a few episodes that approach it, but with that one they basically went "what if we did Goodfellas in 22 minutes with chicken fingers?" "gently caress yes!" leading to "what if we did every action movie in 22 minutes with paintballs?," "what if we did a Ken Burns doc in 22 minutes with pillows?" etc...

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Does anyone else feel they're setting up for Abed to have a major shift in character coming soon? The Cage episode had him have another breakdown where he suddenly at the end realized how crazy he was acting and walked out, then threw away his DVD's. Then the third episode had him blatantly voicing his disgust toward the use of seemingly autistic characters as a magical plot device, then deleting offending programs off his DVR that he obviously previously kept up on. I think he's about to have some massive character development where he stops leaning on pop culture as a crutch to understand social interaction in order to maintain relationships.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Either that or Shirley talked him out of throwing away his movies and will become his new Troy, since she knows what a Cenobite is, but she won't be as malleable as Troy so it'll be a very different dynamic. For some reason "Shirley and Abed in the Morning" holds an appeal for me.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Steve Vader posted:

Either that or Shirley talked him out of throwing away his movies and will become his new Troy, since she knows what a Cenobite is, but she won't be as malleable as Troy so it'll be a very different dynamic. For some reason "Shirley and Abed in the Morning" holds an appeal for me.

But what about Troy and Abed and Annie in the mooooorning? :smith:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Esroc posted:

Then the third episode had him blatantly voicing his disgust toward the use of seemingly autistic characters as a magical plot device, then deleting offending programs off his DVR that he obviously previously kept up on.
I should probably rewatch that scene. I thought he was watching them to do serial killer research for the ACB case.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

ETB posted:

But what about Troy and Abed and Annie in the mooooorning? :smith:

Annie was always trying too hard.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Shirley definitely talked him out of throwing them all away.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I hope we get a farewell troy and abed in the morning.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I hope they never revisit that bit because it was played out in the first season.

Or maybe they could have a D&D campaign take place in a paintball game occurring on the set of Troy and Abed in the morning. The Dean can crossdress and inspector spacetime from the darkest timeline can appear with the Schmitty kids to make fun of Jack Black. You know, whatever wanks fans off most.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 14, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

I hope they never revisit that bit because it was played out in the first season.

Or maybe they could have a D&D campaign take place in a paintball game occurring on the set of Troy and Abed in the morning. The Dean can crossdress and inspector spacetime from the darkest timeline can appear with the Schmitty kids to make fun of Jack Black. You know, whatever wanks fans off most.

You're the worst

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I want more Troy and Abed in the Morning...NIGHTSSSssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Irish Joe posted:

So... do you actually like Community? Because it really sounds like you don't.

• Locked thread