Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pladdicus posted:

Tome 235, I always have weird display errors where it won't update where my character is properly. I read a fix somewhere a bit ago but can't find it. Anyone know how to fix?

You might consider asking in the Angband LP thread if you don't get an answer here. CirclMastr has been doing a ToME2 LP in that thread and might know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is Sil 1.2.1 working for anyone?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Bouchacha posted:

Is Sil 1.2.1 working for anyone?

Yeah, just downloaded Sil for the first time tonight and was coming here to say how much fun I was having. Is the game just not running at all for you?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
madjackmcmad, you probably should have included a link to the greenlight page in your last backer update.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Jordan7hm posted:

madjackmcmad, you probably should have included a link to the greenlight page in your last backer update.

I know, total silliness! I did do that in the post-updated edit, but that didn't make it out to anyone's inboxes. I also need to tidy up the Dungeonmans OP.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Luceid posted:

Yeah, just downloaded Sil for the first time tonight and was coming here to say how much fun I was having. Is the game just not running at all for you?

Not sure what happened but downloading it again worked.

In related news, has no one noticed that the Graphic mode actually works?

The monsters aren't actually matched up properly (molds and wolves look like people for example) but the BMPs are available to be edited.

edit: You get spammed about how displaying hits doesn't work with tiles, but not sure exactly what's broken aside from that.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 13, 2014

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm pretty sure the existing tiles "support" is just residual code left from the angband codebase he forked from - it was an option in the last version too, though I never tried it. I don't think any effort at all has been made to make it work properly.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, proper visuals of some unknown sort for Sil are the aim for the next big update, this is just some leftover cruft almost certainly.

I don't know if they've said anything on the subject, but alongside graphics and UI enhancing, I really hope they can manage some sound for the game---it is begging for a good ambient score and/or hauntingly melodious vocalizing for the songs and such.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

All you bastards talking about Sil made me install Sil.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah, ambient music and songs for the uh, songs would be amazing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sound effects and music tend to be out of reach for most roguelikes, they're harder to do well with a $0 budget.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Just play your own music

Deaf Center - Pale Ravine is one potential choice for ambience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve5LC_QeCPo

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Is the dodging and flanking build from debos/silstreamer's 1.1.1 noobie video still good to start out with? I'm gonna die a whole bunch no matter what but I'd like to skew things in my favor a little bit.

Speaking of silstreamer (sort of), look what I found in the related videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KMqNARIQeA let's talk about how sex in Noxico used to work :allears:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

Is the dodging and flanking build from debos/silstreamer's 1.1.1 noobie video still good to start out with? I'm gonna die a whole bunch no matter what but I'd like to skew things in my favor a little bit.

Yes, although you don't need dodge in order to take flanking, and you can prioritize it later if you decide you still want it. Charge is also good but not really necessary since the melee skills that grant extra attacks are extremely good, and whirlwind attack + flanking + crowd fighting in an open area is absolutely hilarious.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Dungeon Synth is like the perfect music for roguelikes

http://dungeonsynth.blogspot.com/

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

You can take flanking without dodging, but they go REALLY well together to the point that you really should take both. Many or most of your attacks will be from flanking which means you will usually have the +3 dodging bonus. Plus it leads into sprinting which you probably want in the lategame anyway.

For the build in that video, charge goes well with flanking but it's hard to get good use of it early on. The character in that video would need a 6lb weapon, which is kind of huge. I don't like using anything that heavy... even with characters that end up getting massive str scores, I think it's better to use a light weapon with momentum, rapid attack, two weapon, etc.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Pladdicus posted:

Tome 235, I always have weird display errors where it won't update where my character is properly. I read a fix somewhere a bit ago but can't find it. Anyone know how to fix?

You mean TOME 2.3.5 ?

I recently compiled a windows version of 2.4.0 (the latest dev version) and it seems to work well.

(the screenshot is actually from "Theme", which is a module that improves the basic game, but the standard 2.3.5 is included)

Scroll down here: http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21344&p=167632#p167632

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I started playing Sil and then it made me miss ToME somehow.

For anyone who used to play ToME, I just bought it off Steam since I never donated before, and it automatically imported my previous control scheme and online account. Pretty neat.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Someone linked a video for the kickstarter for the roguelike platformer Catacomb Kids that shows the many uses of a rock, there is another video showing the uses of a boulder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWDZd8OcblI

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
I don't know if anyone else has been following Full Mojo Rampage but it's currently in early access and on sale.

http://www.fullmojorampage.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/225280/

I picked it up because I figure it will be a while before I could get it any cheaper and I like actiony roguelike games. I haven't really put much time into it but it seems pretty good. One of the big pulls for me is co-op multiplayer.

I'll likely come edit in some further impressions in here later, but I figured other people might be impatient babies like myself and want to pick this up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I played it a few months ago, it was lacking content back then, but beta is beta. It looked nice, played decent but lacked anything "special" in my opinion.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
This week (23 January) Humble is holding a sale on roguelikes!

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sample Screenshot of the new Unreal World tiles

Looks quite good!

gently caress yes! I can finally be a naked, bear-worshiping Finnish cannibal in hi-res.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

madjackmcmad posted:

This week (23 January) Humble is holding a sale on roguelikes!

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

They don't say this as clearly as they could on the website, but it bears mentioning: the Dredmor portion of the bundle for $1 includes both the game, and the two paid DLCs, and the free DLC. So you get a *lot* of Dredmor for your money.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nvining posted:

They don't say this as clearly as they could on the website, but it bears mentioning: the Dredmor portion of the bundle for $1 includes both the game, and the two paid DLCs, and the free DLC. So you get a *lot* of Dredmor for your money.

It says "complete" so I assume it is what it is. Anyway, I have all these games except Sword of the Stars: The Pit - is it worth $6 ?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just be sure to give it all to anyone but the developers because Hack Slash Loot and Kerberos Interactive aren't worth supporting in any way.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dis astranagant posted:

Just be sure to give it all to anyone but the developers because Hack Slash Loot and Kerberos Interactive aren't worth supporting in any way.

You can actually choose specifically what devs you give money to if you click the Customize option! There's a little dropdown arrow for the devs part that lets you move even more sliders around.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Why do we make video games? At the end of the day, it's about the Players. That feeling of cont--

dis astranagant posted:

Just be sure to give it all to anyone but the developers
:v:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Support the developers unless they are kerberos. (I dunno anything about hack slash loot.) I wouldn't withhold bundle money because a game is bad, but kerberos has such bad business practices/community interaction that they've actively poisoned that well.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

dis astranagant posted:

What's wrong with the HSL devs?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Nephilm posted:

What's wrong with the HSL devs?

I think the issue with them is that they made Hack, Slash, Loot.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I hear that the dev tooted a lot of "you aren't the ~target audience~" when people mentioned that HSL was actually an incredibly grueling slog of a game that ranked below Cookie Clicker in terms of decisions to make and fun, but I dunno. It's just not a good game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Chinook posted:

I think the issue with them is that they made Hack, Slash, Loot.

Basically this.

If you don't know HSL, someone gave the perfect summary of it in the Steam thread today: "Roll a d20. If it's 20 you win, otherwise, enjoy a loss." There is absolutely no 'gameplay' to the game - you either find powerups in a barrel or you find a goblin and he kills you. Repeat over and over until at the boss.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

kalstrams posted:

It says "complete" so I assume it is what it is. Anyway, I have all these games except Sword of the Stars: The Pit - is it worth $6 ?

Post your steam and I'll send you a copy. It's just the base game, not the gold edition though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nerve posted:

Post your steam and I'll send you a copy. It's just the base game, not the gold edition though.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kalstrams

Do you want something of the following - Humble Weekly Sale: Focus Home Interactive, Humble Weekly Sale: Hothead Games, or any other of 4 humble bundle gift links I've got which only have parts of some bundles and I do not remember what exactly ?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Has there still been no date announcement for this year's 7DRL?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

kalstrams posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kalstrams

Do you want something of the following - Humble Weekly Sale: Focus Home Interactive, Humble Weekly Sale: Hothead Games, or any other of 4 humble bundle gift links I've got which only have parts of some bundles and I do not remember what exactly ?

Added you. And nah, no thanks, I pretty much buy every bundle I'm interested in.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

How is Sword of the Stars, Kerberos aside, and Teleglitch? Teleglitch looks interesting but I can see those graphical effects getting annoying.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
The Pit is actually a good roguelike/game. I dunno, Kerberos can make good games when they don't hamstring themselves. Teleglitch is a lot of fun, but the graphics can lead to headaches for some. I'd give both a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Yeah I put probably 30 or 40 hours into SotS when it first came out. I recently bought the gold edition but haven't had much time to get around to it again.