Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

That's not a rug. That's carpet in the same pattern. Like, you could do the entire floor of a room in that pattern.

Why stop at just one room? Do the whole damned house! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

no, but they do make these for subarus

Do they? The tread seems to occupy the same space as part of the bumper and wheel well. Looks shopped to me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Do they? The tread seems to occupy the same space as part of the bumper and wheel well. Looks shopped to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHM9bh-qlec

Image manipulation software is loving awesome these days!

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Carteret posted:

They want :siren:$25,000:siren: for it. Just the kit.

A county sheriffs department just to the south of me just bought two sets. So someone is buying them.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

G-Mach posted:

A county sheriffs department just to the south of me just bought two sets. So someone is buying them.

That's not saying much. How many sheriffs departments have loving MRAPs now?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

G-Mach posted:

To be fair, it's a lot more economical than spending that amount on a dedicated vehicle (either built for it from the factory, or heavy aftermarket modifications) since this way they can just use their regular fleet trucks with the tracks.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

Huh, guess I'm crazy. Nevermind :shobon:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be fair, it's a lot more economical than spending that amount on a dedicated vehicle (either built for it from the factory, or heavy aftermarket modifications) since this way they can just use their regular fleet trucks with the tracks.

Oh pretty much. The stated purpose is for search and rescue in winter months.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
*helping a little old lady with her Macbook*

"Could you please enter your password for me here?"

"Oh, I'll just tell it to you: it's Berlina"

"Berlina...you didn't happen to-"

"It was the name of my cat."

"Oh."

"Which I named after the Lancia I rallied 40 years ago."

She had a tea cozy and liked to watercolor landscapes. You never know.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

blk posted:

Why haven't you bought her an account?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

amenenema posted:

Why haven't you bought her an account?

Probably Cat Terrist and KaptainBallistik's mum

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

So this just totally happened... just when my :awesome: from the Z06 started to go away...

Toyota FT-1 Concept
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140113/CARNEWS/140119960

dandaman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 14, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I like nearly every angle of the FT-1 concept except for the Panoz/F1-inspired front end.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
With Toyota it seems like you get to choose one of these three: It won't get built, it'll be horribly overpriced, or it'll be poo poo.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

InitialDave posted:

The correct response to "Do they make tracks for Subarus?" is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDNLUzjkpg

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I don't think I've ever wanted a toyota more in my life.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So they have this gorgeous curved vent arrangement on the back end and then just throw some sharp edged light units in there?

Hmm. Still like it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That Toyota is one of those things that is "live it or hate it, no middle area". I'm on the hate-it side, though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For some reason, I'm on the love it side and I absolutely hate how the C7 looks. Weird.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I just cannot stand that front end. "F1 inspired" it may be, that doesn't excuse the fact that it's just utterly loving hideous. Then again, i'm also one of the ones who hates the Enzo in terms of style.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BlackMK4 posted:

For some reason, I'm on the love it side and I absolutely hate how the C7 looks. Weird.

Thank Christ someone's admitting the Corvette ain't poo poo. That loving Crossfire inspired bonnet ain't doing much for the look. I much prefer the Viper but even that is just a basic redesign of the first one.

At least the Toyota is a bit left-field and ultra modern.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

T1g4h posted:

I just cannot stand that front end. "F1 inspired" it may be, that doesn't excuse the fact that it's just utterly loving hideous. Then again, i'm also one of the ones who hates the Enzo in terms of style.

Thank you. The front end on that Toyota is comically bad. The rear's not bad, but it reminds me a lot of the LFA. I'm right with you on the Enzo and FXX as well. Both just hideous cars. I've always thought the Enzo looked like some horrible shoe.

^^ To echo that, I don't really get the obsession with the C7 either. Even more so with the new ZO6.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 14, 2014

Squeeze
Jul 23, 2012
I'd say it looks like a TVR Sagaris from almost every angle. At least that's the first thing that came to my mind.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dandaman posted:

So this just totally happened... just when my :awesome: from the Z06 started to go away...

Toyota FT-1 Concept
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140113/CARNEWS/140119960

That really is not very attractive at all. Maybe it's the pictures and it'll be better in the metal.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I wouldn't say I love it, but I definitely like it. The back end is my favorite part. As for that vs the vette, I'd take that, but mostly because I hate the rear end of all vettes and the C7 really isn't an improvement.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

InitialDave posted:

That really is not very attractive at all. Maybe it's the pictures and it'll be better in the metal.

I don't know, I think that profile is the only angle it is attractive. I hate how those tail lights stick out and how... shapely the rear is. Like it's this thin layer of red rubber and someone is inside trying to push all these different shapes against it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lest we forget:

I imagine the FT-1 will be toned down in a similar manner.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I'm not really a huge fan, but my biggest issue is going to be how much is Toyota planning on pricing the next Supra (or if they call it an FT1), and I'm also very of worried that they're going to throw some bland N/A V6/V8 with a CVT transmission that has floppy paddles (that they can cannibalize with Lexus), and call it a day. If it's over 50-60k it'll be an interesting side note in history.

Toyota has a long history of loving up this kind of stuff, so I'm not holding my breath. If they were building it to be a 370Z competitor and made it more Mk4 Supra-ish, I'd heavily think about it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

I'm not really a huge fan, but my biggest issue is going to be how much is Toyota planning on pricing the next Supra (or if they call it an FT1), and I'm also very of worried that they're going to throw some bland N/A V6/V8 with a CVT transmission that has floppy paddles (that they can cannibalize with Lexus), and call it a day. If it's over 50-60k it'll be an interesting side note in history.

Toyota has a long history of loving up this kind of stuff, so I'm not holding my breath. If they were building it to be a 370Z competitor and made it more Mk4 Supra-ish, I'd heavily think about it.

Pipe dream: Sti engine/turbo.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

blk posted:

*helping a little old lady with her Macbook*

"Could you please enter your password for me here?"

"Oh, I'll just tell it to you: it's Berlina"

"Berlina...you didn't happen to-"

"It was the name of my cat."

"Oh."

She had a tea cozy and liked to watercolor landscapes. You never know.
Years ago I worked at a dotcom company that went under, and we had an office secretary who was nicest softspoken middle aged woman who looked very thin and frail. She owned a Lotus Esprit and raced in Formula Ford or something. I wasn't into cars as much back then, I wish I'd talked to her more about it.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Tax the Rich rules so much.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Needs more fender gap. Alot more.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

Back in 1995 the list price of the Supra Turbo was around $48k, which adjusted for inflation would be $73500 today.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Speaking of ugly Toyotas, what the hell was the thought process behind the grill on the new Lexus?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fucknag posted:

Lest we forget:

I imagine the FT-1 will be toned down in a similar manner.

Why is it that every concept/prototype looks so much more intense and unusual that the poo poo we end up with? I'm not really talking about that particular one so much as in general. Company puts out pictures and a prototype, everyone says how futuristic and cool it looks, then when the real deal comes out it looks like every other drat car on the road.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Why is it that every concept/prototype looks so much more intense and unusual that the poo poo we end up with? I'm not really talking about that particular one so much as in general. Company puts out pictures and a prototype, everyone says how futuristic and cool it looks, then when the real deal comes out it looks like every other drat car on the road.

Building a concept realizes the dream of a designer, building the concept into a production car is the waking nightmare of engineers. If the fenders and hood are aggressive and very sculpted in clay, putting that one extra body highlight that makes the look work yet is too complicated to stamp effectively would kill the car. So smooth it out and gently caress with the cars style.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 15, 2014

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Because concept cars don't have to pass crash tests, or conform to specific requirements for things like the height or position or color of lights or reflectors, and if you're sculpting it out of clay you don't have to worry about how to productionize it or whether the intense styling of the tail actually causes lift at speed or overheats the brakes.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Also usually a concept car is designed by one dude. Then they take that concept and put it in front of dozens of focus groups and committees and (worst of all) bean-counters, who proceed to try and suck as much fun and individuality out of the concept as possible while still leaving something that looks almost but not quite like the original.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Sometimes they'll preview an upcoming car by using some bits of it undisguised in a concept, like the Ford Saetta:
Ghia Saetta (1996) by Ford France, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

echoplex posted:

Tax the Rich rules so much.

I want to go to Uhaul and try to get a hitch for my EB110.