Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

dundun posted:

When the subber said episode 6 is going to be edited, what does that mean? Will we be getting the edited episode, or will it just be edited for future broadcasts in Korea? I don't want to hunt for a raw episode, but my curiousity is killing me and I don't want a watered down version.

The episode that aired had been edited in a way that it's not like every normal episode.

Hint hint. It's very emotional episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

dundun posted:

When the subber said episode 6 is going to be edited, what does that mean? Will we be getting the edited episode, or will it just be edited for future broadcasts in Korea? I don't want to hunt for a raw episode, but my curiousity is killing me and I don't want a watered down version.

I think she was talking about the episode coming out edited and then interviews with the contestants revealed that more stuff happened than was shown.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
That intrigued me too, but I think it was tweeted too soon after initial airing for there to be two versions. I'm guessing they meant that the producers knew that the episode would cause a backlash and had clearly edited the events of the episode in order to make some of the players not look too bad and thereby lessen it.

Edit: whoops, beaten by similar

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well I hope she subs it quickly this week. Esp as I've not read any spoilers.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 14, 2014

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Eunhyuk was right! #sage #prophet #sangminfalsegod

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
6 is up now.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Only halfway through but everything about the safe was amazing. Such classic Sangmin.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Okay yeah that was pretty hosed up. Sangmin gets a pass because his double cross was a pretty hilarious twist, but Jiwon and Yooyoung look pretty bad.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Apparently the part edited out was: In the death match, Doohee was so in shock he just cried in a corner and forfeited. The broadcast shows him convincing the producers that she'd win anyways, but that's editing.

This is so depressing. :(

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Rurutia posted:

Apparently the part edited out was: In the death match, Doohee was so in shock he just cried in a corner and forfeited. The broadcast shows him convincing the producers that she'd win anyways, but that's editing.

This is so depressing. :(

Wow that's pretty terrible.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Anyone know if there is any real life backlash because of this?

Zenithal
Aug 24, 2013

elwood posted:

There's a ton.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I want to see netizen commentary, unless those people were busy with the latest popstarlet drama event, because (s2e6) that was murder, christ. The kind of stuff I'd swear off knowing somebody for if they did it. Ugly.

e: good link below

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 14, 2014

nalyoo
Oct 9, 2012

elwood posted:

Tons. Ji Won and Yoo Young were the main targets of the criticism. It was all over Korean internet portals/news for a couple of days. Looking at a sample of korean 'netizen' comments may give you an idea, but basically the contestants involved were trending on major korean news portals and Twitter and almost everyone is on the side of the hacker.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Yeah that was too much. I've lost a lot of respect for Jiwon and I really hope he doesn't win now. There's playing a game and then there's betrayal after begging forgiveness from a previous betrayal, what a despicable person.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Episode 6 stuff: I read the spoilers previously, and so I obviously knew what did happen was uglier than what they showed, but I hadn't expected the episode to be actively worsened by knowing the 'behind the scenes' so to speak to this degree. Seeing how much time in the second half of the episode was devoted to Jiwon/Yooyoung first express how sorry they were about things, while still neglecting to return his ID, only doing it once Doohee losing was a certainty, and then after that lots of airtime harping on how they didn't mean for things to get out of hand was one thing - obviously both they and the producers wanted to cover their asses (and I expect they didn't mean it to be such a serious thing at first either, though more fervent apologies rather than excuses would be the right approach). However, combined with how heavily Doohee's negative reaction got censored, and the editing reflects really badly on the producers of the show. Including the scenes of those two apologizing while not showing how badly Doohee took it (and basically putting in as mild as possible reactions from the other players/Doohee himself, like his exasperated laugh) really made it obvious they tried to portray the whole thing as just another betrayal, and means the viewers aren't allowed to make any proper judgements on events, as they neglect to show the most negative effects of stealing the card, while the apologies and excuses get magnified and thrust in your face. And I mean, it doesn't even work, since they also showed Jiwon/Yooyoung throwing him under the buss again the second time.

Also, I can't see Jinho surviving much longer here - depending on the deathmatch I'd say next episode already. And while I like Sangmin, he's perfect as the 'bad guy' kind of character, works great when there's a Jinho or Kyungram around to check him, but significantly less appealing when there aren't anyone like that remaining - and Jinho's the last person on the show that really makes me cheer for them. I still find Yohwan, Junghyun and Hongchul quite likeable in the regular sense, but none of them have anywhere near the ability or leadership of Jinho or Kyungram, and in Hongchul's case he doesn't quite have the integrity to pull of the 'good guy' thing either.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Episode 6 If there is a season 3 I hope they bring Dohee back if he now wants another shot

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

In response to Insurrectionist:

quote:

However, combined with how heavily Doohee's negative reaction got censored, and the editing reflects really badly on the producers of the show. Including the scenes of those two apologizing while not showing how badly Doohee took it (and basically putting in as mild as possible reactions from the other players/Doohee himself, like his exasperated laugh) really made it obvious

While the editing was sketchy for the reasons you mentioned, not portraying what actually happened very well, it WAS just another betrayal. This is a gameshow, one in which betrayals happen, and indeed, are often a key part of what makes the show interesting. It's ridiculous to say this particular betrayal is totally ok, but that particular betrayal is totally beyond the pale. Because what happened was not at all against the rules. Indeed, as soon as the rules were revealed it was obvious they actually WANTED something like this to happen. Of course, they wouldn't have expected it to happen like this. They obviously wanted someone to do some clever ID swap agreements rather than straight up stealing the ID, but it's also Doohee's fault for being so careless given how obviously important the ID cards were.

Even with the emotional overreactions by some contestants, this episode still gave us some crazy awesome moments. I.e. Doohee betraying Sangmin only to find out he'd been betrayed in turn was fantastic (and also a reason Doohee has no right to cry betrayal in addition to the 2nd episode which entirely revolved around Doohee betraying a bunch of people). I can't say I've lost respect for Jiwon or anything so dramatic. It's a reality gameshow, it's the nature of the beast. That said, Jiwon certainly shouldn't have done it from his own perspective, he should have realised what a backlash there would be for him in the media, given that he's a celebrity.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Episode 6: Oh man, that was an amazing episode, but definitely hard to watch towards the end. The thing is that the three fuckings-over of: 1. Stealing an ID card, 2. Tricking someone with the fake totem and 3.Betraying someone in the darkness deathmatch are individually pretty fair game and quality Genius material but having just a few people doing them all to one other person in a short space of time comes across pretty brutal. I did notice that Doohee's defence round wasn't shown or even talked about, so sucks to know why. Sangmin is an unbelievably brilliant evil genius in this episode though, his Iago-esque whispering in people's ears is kind of wonderful. I am glad he didn't manage to convince Doohee into taking Jiwon to the deathmatch though, that would have sucked for everyone.

Other thoughts: It was dumb of Jinho to tell Yohwan where the safe was and even dumber of Yohwan to tell Sangmin where the safe was. Also funny what a tiny role the actual Monopoly game plays in this episode - it seemed pretty good!

Some very interesting stuff in these replies that might make you feel a bit happier for Doohee. Basically he made a post on Facebook after the episode aired about how great Jinho was and how he didn't even realise it during filming, that post started trending in Korea then him, Jinho and Kim Heechul (super famous singer apparently) all went out for drinks together that night.

Re: the post above - yeah I pretty much agree that I couldn't really get too angry over the betrayals and people do need to accept that there is a huge difference between loving someone over in the confines of a game and in actual real life. One thing I would say is that while I can totally see why Jiwon supported Yooyoung in the deathmatch, it was pretty unnecessary to deceive Doohee quite so thoroughly. But he did obviously genuinely feel really bad about it and people always behave crazily in weird insular situations like this.

Non-spoilery preview chat: nobody seems too upset about Doohee but Sangmin dyes his hair bright blonde and Hongchul wears a large hat

GraPar fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 14, 2014

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Shakugan posted:

In response to Insurrectionist:

While the editing was sketchy for the reasons you mentioned, not portraying what actually happened very well, it WAS just another betrayal. This is a gameshow, one in which betrayals happen, and indeed, are often a key part of what makes the show interesting. It's ridiculous to say this particular betrayal is totally ok, but that particular betrayal is totally beyond the pale. Because what happened was not at all against the rules. Indeed, as soon as the rules were revealed it was obvious they actually WANTED something like this to happen. Of course, they wouldn't have expected it to happen like this. They obviously wanted someone to do some clever ID swap agreements rather than straight up stealing the ID, but it's also Doohee's fault for being so careless given how obviously important the ID cards were.

I totally disagree regarding what they wanted from the game - the set-up was the way it was because it made it 100% impossible to confirm what cards the other players had, and therefore trading was entirely 100% a trust-thing. Well, you could confirm by having that player let you use their ID, but that's also 100% a trust thing. Which, in an episode without the Immortality and Doohee stuff might have worked (though the alliance stuff would still probably have made it less than great). Also, stealing has been explicitly (I believe the relevant bit was linked up in the spoilers somewhere) and implicitly against the rules since season 1, except kinda sorta barring garnets (though that's more like 'if you're dumb and leave them around you may have to pay to get them back), why would anyone, player or viewer, assume it's okay? It predictably completely ruined the game and episode, so there's no real argument to be made that it should be allowed either.

Every other betrayal has been within the rules of the game, and has enhanced the tension and appeal of the games themselves. This one was and did the exact opposite, making the result of the game literally a given (not even a regular ol' betrayal or incredibly clever play would likely have done anything).

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 14, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

I totally disagree regarding what they wanted from the game - the set-up was the way it was because it made it 100% impossible to confirm what cards the other players had, and therefore trading was entirely 100% a trust-thing.

Nope, they had a camera positioned for the sole purpose of identifying who's ID card was actually being used. The only possible reason for this was ID card swapping shenanigans that would be used to trick the player being swapped with.

quote:

Every other betrayal has been within the rules of the game, and has enhanced the tension and appeal of the games themselves. This one was and did the exact opposite, making the result of the game literally a given (not even a regular ol' betrayal or incredibly clever play would likely have done anything).

This was within the rules also. There was no theft as such anyway. Doohee dropped his card, and then they picked it up. That's not the same as pick pocketing him. It's exactly the same as what Hongchul did last episode, just not nearly as suave.

There is no rule betrayals have to enhance tension or appeal of the games. Contestants can betray for whatever reason they want. You can argue it's against of the "spirit of the game", but no one is required to uphold such a nebulous thing.

Besides, it certainly didn't ruin the game or episode. People (Yohwan for example, came up with strategies that incorporated what happened, even if it didn't get executed. It meant that Doohee made an awesome revenge betrayal move against Sangmin, which increased the awesomeness when it turned out the token was fake. The episode wasn't ruined, it was awesome.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 14, 2014

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Shakugan posted:

Even with the emotional overreactions by some contestants, this episode still gave us some crazy awesome moments.

I'd say the pregame was the funniest ever. I was laughing my butt off the whole time. So many funny little moments.

edit: Also imagine how loving incredible it would have been if the token was the real one?.

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 14, 2014

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Shakugan posted:

Nope, they had a camera positioned for the sole purpose of identifying who's ID card was actually being used. The only possible reason for this was ID card swapping shenanigans that would be used to trick the player being swapped with.

Well yeah, I don't disagree that this was one of the things they wanted to do. But the purpose was to make the game 100% trust-based, impossible to make 100% secure alliances. After all, the person lending their card could be betrayed too, by whoever they lent it to sending great cards over in return for bad ones.

Shakugan posted:

This was within the rules also. There was no theft as such anyway. Doohee dropped his card, and then they picked it up. That's not the same as pick pocketing him. It's exactly the same as what Hongchul did last episode, just not nearly as suave.

Again, holding stuff for ransom has been a perfectly allowed thing for ages, keeping it indefinitely has never been a thing. Besides, most of those were a player UNKNOWINGLY leaving something somewhere, or dropping something, while Doohee knew where he'd left his ID all along - and given his bag/notes were there, Jiwon/Yooyoung KNEW that he hadn't 'lost' it or some stupid poo poo either. That's a huge difference in intent. In addition, there's a difference between eeking out a small advantage in some garnets or a promise of help (that can be broken) by taking and trading back these things, and literally deciding the main match 100%, no-one can do anything about it with them.

Shakugan posted:

There is no rule betrayals have to enhance tension or appeal of the games. Contestants can betray for whatever reason they want. You can argue it's against of the "spirit of the game", but no one is required to uphold such a nebulous thing.

Besides, it certainly didn't ruin the game or episode. People (Yohwan for example, came up with strategies that incorporated what happened, even if it didn't get executed. It meant that Doohee made an awesome revenge betrayal move against Sangmin, which increased the awesomeness when it turned out the token was fake. The episode wasn't ruined, it was awesome.

Obviously you're right that these parts are all subjective, but let's not pretend objectivity is all that matters here. Things that are good for the show, in whatever nebulous definition of good you use, should be allowed. Things that are bad, same subjectivity, shouldn't. In this case, I'd say the overwhelming negativity both towards Jiwon/Yooyoung, and in general towards how season 2 has progressed past a generally very good episode 1 and maybe 2, can be taken as an indication of whether something should or should not have been allowed to happen. The fake token stuff was honestly kind of boring, and the context just made it look lovely to me. And again, claiming Yohwan's or anyone else's strategy was interesting seems disingenuous to me, given it was 100% guaranteed not to work no matter what. There was literally zero incentive for anyone outside Jinho and maaaaaybe Junghyun to give him what he wanted - they had all the power since they could probably force a monopoly with some other type even without his help (just the bombs meant more garnets), and even if not, they knew what he wanted and could continue not giving his side any of those resources were the game to stretch on.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

quote:

Again, holding stuff for ransom has been a perfectly allowed thing for ages, keeping it indefinitely has never been a thing. Besides, most of those were a player UNKNOWINGLY leaving something somewhere, or dropping something, while Doohee knew where he'd left his ID all along - and given his bag/notes were there, Jiwon/Yooyoung KNEW that he hadn't 'lost' it or some stupid poo poo either. That's a huge difference in intent. In addition, there's a difference between eeking out a small advantage in some garnets or a promise of help (that can be broken) by taking and trading back these things, and literally deciding the main match 100%, no-one can do anything about it with them.

This seems like you've arbitrarily decided what is fine and what absolutely not ok. It's ok to take something that a contestant unknowingly drops, but not ok if they later realise they dropped it. It's ok to blackmail someone with an item they have dropped in order to gain advantage, but not ok to keep the item dropped in order to gain advantage. It's ok to do something like this to get a small advantage, but totally no ok to do something like this to get a big advantage. All of these rules you're coming up with are completely arbitrary. In the Genius game, a gameshow where bending rules, avoiding the rules, using the letter of the rules to break the spirit of the rules is the whole purpose of the show, such ambiguities are completely against what the Genius is about.

quote:

Things that are good for the show, in whatever nebulous definition of good you use, should be allowed. Things that are bad, same subjectivity, shouldn't.

Even if you believe this (which I don't for the reason above; the Genius should always have well-defined rules), it isn't the players responsibility to measure up to this arbitrarily nebulous (and unknown!) concept of acceptable you've come up with. The responsibility would be on behalf of the producers to express and enforce this acceptableness, and so the players did nothing wrong.

I also don't agree with your last paragraph, that it was a foregone conclusion, because all the players aware of what happened seemed to feel genuinely bad for what they did to Doohee. It was a surprise that they repeatedly screwed him over so much, that's what a lot of the controversy is about. It wouldn't be a "surprise" if it was such an obvious conclusion that they'd do it. It was totally conceivable that guilt would mean one of the people who originally participated in the ID hiding would have ended up helping him. In fact, it did happen, with Hongchul. His role just wasn't critical enough to make a difference.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Yeah, I was upset about the episode until I actually watched it, and I have to say that Doohee played as big of a part in his elimination as anyone. Seriously, get up off the floor and shake down the people who you know have your ID. Make deals with garnets. Talk to people. Adapt. Something.

It's human nature to want to sympathize with someone who takes a betrayal that hard, but Jiwon and Yooyoung didn't really do anything against the "spirit of the game", so to speak. It's season goddamn 2, people should know better than to leave their poo poo laying around.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know, I'm just disappointed that this is yet another episode this season where playing and figuring out the game was once again totally irrelevant in the face of the larger group ganging up and picking off a weakling. Like, even in the first season there was that kind of strategizing and grouping, but there was also the sense of, "OK, let's make the game the important thing and have at least some base level of decency", like when they donated garnets to players in Indian Poker so it wouldn't be a lopsided crush. The tone was definitely different this season when a similar situation came up and instead everyone was basically, "OK, let's execute that fucker and profit from their corpse," so Doohee basically getting shivved in the prison showers this episode was not really a surprise.

I dunno, maybe the cast and/or the producers took a look at the first season and thought people were tuning in for betrayal after betrayal after betrayal? Hongchul seems exemplary of that poo poo to me. Like, maybe I don't get his kind of humor, but his Joker-esque laugh and constant yelling and lying to be zany and poo poo really grates on me. If I wanted to see "characters" and people being dicks to each other I would just watch an American reality show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That episode was pretty much the best ever. Sangmin was an absolute boss the whole game. I do think it sucks for Doohee that he got hit with so much poo poo in so little time and I think if it hadn't all piled up he wouldn't have been so affected but at the same time this is the Genius. The people who run the game clearly didn't think any rules were broken so it's all acceptable. I actually gained a bit of respect for Jiwon this episode, it was the first time he seemed to work for a team instead of being carried along.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Ironic Twist posted:

Yeah, I was upset about the episode until I actually watched it, and I have to say that Doohee played as big of a part in his elimination as anyone. Seriously, get up off the floor and shake down the people who you know have your ID. Make deals with garnets. Talk to people. Adapt. Something.

Big time this from me. There was a failure on a lot of levels for him to get out of that spot in the episode, but he kept taking the wrong path. He put his faith completely in someone, which after an episode full of betrayals, was really shortsighted.

As far the ID thing, it's not the first time they've tied in rules to something you must have. Someone leaving/losing their swag has happened several times in the show. Sometimes it's used to effect, like the garnet last year, or used but not important like Hong Chul last week, or not used as all as we've seen several times players will find someone's garnet bag and return it to them. All fair game, if you are given items to play, you need to keep them on your person.

The episode was hard to watch by the end, and to an extent he was being poo poo-on by several of the others, but only because he was making it so easy.

First half of the episode was killer, frantic Sangmin was hilarious.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 14, 2014

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know, I'm just disappointed that this is yet another episode this season where playing and figuring out the game was once again totally irrelevant in the face of the larger group ganging up and picking off a weakling. Like, even in the first season there was that kind of strategizing and grouping, but there was also the sense of, "OK, let's make the game the important thing and have at least some base level of decency", like when they donated garnets to players in Indian Poker so it wouldn't be a lopsided crush. The tone was definitely different this season when a similar situation came up and instead everyone was basically, "OK, let's execute that fucker and profit from their corpse," so Doohee basically getting shivved in the prison showers this episode was not really a surprise.

I dunno, maybe the cast and/or the producers took a look at the first season and thought people were tuning in for betrayal after betrayal after betrayal? Hongchul seems exemplary of that poo poo to me. Like, maybe I don't get his kind of humor, but his Joker-esque laugh and constant yelling and lying to be zany and poo poo really grates on me. If I wanted to see "characters" and people being dicks to each other I would just watch an American reality show.

Maybe I'm a giant baby but this is how I feel. I'll probably stop watching when/if Jinho gets kicked off.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 14, 2014

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
You are totally right about the different dynamic this season - saw a lot of commenters on that Netizen website earlier saying the same thing. I wouldn't really put it on the producers though, I think it's mostly just down to the attitudes of the people involved and the fact that 5 people managed to form a clique that actually stuck together and trusted each other, so they could pick off everyone else. That group managing to stay together has definitely been massively helped by Jinho obviously being a massive target (but unwilling to really join any group) and Sangmin being able to exploit this massively by convincing the rest that Jinho and his friends are terrifyingly powerful and must be eliminated at all costs. The irony of course being that Sangmin is probably the biggest threat of all, although not so much in deathmatches. To be honest though, the whole 'we have the numbers so can ignore strategy' has only really been in effect the last two episodes and there's no way it can last for much longer since they're going to have to turn on each other pretty drat soon.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

In ep 6, why did Dohee pretend to find his ID card? That was weird and pointless :confused:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Shakugan posted:

This seems like you've arbitrarily decided what is fine and what absolutely not ok. It's ok to take something that a contestant unknowingly drops, but not ok if they later realise they dropped it. It's ok to blackmail someone with an item they have dropped in order to gain advantage, but not ok to keep the item dropped in order to gain advantage. It's ok to do something like this to get a small advantage, but totally no ok to do something like this to get a big advantage. All of these rules you're coming up with are completely arbitrary. In the Genius game, a gameshow where bending rules, avoiding the rules, using the letter of the rules to break the spirit of the rules is the whole purpose of the show, such ambiguities are completely against what the Genius is about.

I disagree with basically all of that. I guess we might want different things from the show. Taking something dropped accidentally, with the intention of giving it back (even if you take advantage of it in the meantime), is fair, yes. And I can't remember an exception to that happening before. Lost garnets of the like generally get returned without ANY payment, and while I have no trouble tolerating someone asking for some, if the owner refused I would indeed expect the finder to give it back anyway. I basically look at is as more a finders' fee, which is what it has essentially been up until now. Taking something that the owner purposefully left is indeed stealing, which is against both the letter and the spirit, IMO, of the rules. And this has little to do with being a big advantage - if this had, rather than ensuring Doohee couldn't play and automatically lost, instead ensured Jiwon/Yooyoung won, then I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it, because it would mean the game still had an actual point to it. Instead, it was pointless. Nothing about the situation was entertaining or had anything to do with why I watch the show - the betrayals are exciting BECASUE players are forced to trust each-other to some extent, and seeing how they navigate the social relationships and try to come out on top in them is exciting, but there was nothing about that in this situation. This wasn't solely down to the stealing (the general alliance-making has made most of this season a lot less interesting than S1) but it definitely and irrevocably exacerbated it, to the point where I wanted to skip large parts of the episode as it was so lacking tension or appeal (and before you blame me spoiling myself, the first 30 - 35 minutes were still fun, and I've spoiled at least 4 - 5 previous episodes while still enjoying them as much as usual before). There was not any room for clever thinking or such either, simply because Doohee made it unnecessary - why care what Yohwan or Jinho gets, or worry about betrayal from Sangmin or whoever, when last place is guaranteed, and it's trivial to ensure one of your allies gets first?

Basically a lot of small things contributed to this ruining the episode for me, as well as some un-/tangetially related stuff like alliances. I didn't even really care about how Jiwon/Yooyoung came out (I already intensely dislike Jiwon even from before Genius, and don't mind Yooyoung despite this episode), just am really disappointed the production allowed the theft to happen/it to ruin both games this time. Finally, there's the simple matter of, despite liking most of the cast, finding myself increasingly apathetic to the idea of watching after Jinho gets knocked out - Sangmin is fun to watch, but I've thought he's gotten way too easy hands dealt so far in S2, and even if neither the alliance nor Immortality token this time could be blamed on production, that doesn't make it more interesting to watch. This part certainly is 100% subjective, but while I'm sure things aren't quite as doom and gloom as netizens would indicate, it also seems a fairly popular opinion.

Ironic Twist posted:

If you think a random non-celeb nerd guy is gonna do anything like 'shaking down' Jiwon or Yooyoung then lol, and he'd approached them more than enough that the burden was on them to make demands for the ID-card's return, let's not pretend he was just laying there all show or something. But you are right that terrible alliances would probably have ruined this episode's main game even without Doohee being out of commission.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 14, 2014

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Insurrectionist posted:

If you think a random non-celeb nerd guy is gonna do anything like 'shaking down' Jiwon or Yooyoung then lol, and he'd approached them more than enough that the burden was on them to make demands for the ID-card's return, let's not pretend he was just laying there all show or something. But you are right that terrible alliances would probably have ruined this episode's main game even without Doohee being out of commission.

"Shaking down" is obviously a figure of speech, and the burden's on them to do what, exactly? Say "oops, we crossed an imaginary line?" My point was that if he knew 100% that they had it, he could have done a lot more than asking them a couple of times. If there were other deals he was offering them between him calling imaginary police on the phone, they would've shown them.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I will agree that I really want to see more games where individual play is more important than alliance numbers. Just have to hope the producers come up with games that can't be manipulated with numbers quite so easily. Because it is to the detriment of the show when alliances are more important than strategy.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Shakugan posted:

I will agree that I really want to see more games where individual play is more important than alliance numbers. Just have to hope the producers come up with games that can't be manipulated with numbers quite so easily. Because it is to the detriment of the show when alliances are more important than strategy.

Yeah, I will say that alliances and picking off the minority aren't what I like about this show because then it just becomes Survivor. Hopefully that changes next episode.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

"Shaking down" is obviously a figure of speech, and the burden's on them to do what, exactly? Say "oops, we crossed an imaginary line?" My point was that if he knew 100% that they had it, he could have done a lot more than asking them a couple of times. If there were other deals he was offering them between him calling imaginary police on the phone, they would've shown them.

My point is literally every other time someone's lost or dropped or forgotten something on the show, most of the time they're approached about it even before they realize, and they've been able to instantly start negotiating with the 'finder' either way. He was awkward as hell going after Jiwon/Yooyoung AKA two big celebs, exacerbated by their denying having anything to do with it even when he repeatedly asked them if they knew about/had it. For the later parts, the alliance meant he basically gave up - rightly so since he had zero chance of going through the deathmatch once it got to that point (if he'd picked Jinho or Yohwan he had a chance, but then he'd be playing right into the alliance's hands anyway).

E: It doesn't have to be individual skills to prevent collusion - the game from S2E1 more than accommodated making alliances and plans and clever betrayals, while also ensuring that pre-made alliances could be outright detrimental as much as beneficial, and that you needed to be a reasonably good thinker to figure out your best course of action.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 14, 2014

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Have not watched season 1, but caught up through season 2 episode 6, and damm, this is a quality show. The people have a good chemistry, and none are too overbearing or making drama without being relevant to the show. There are a few :aaa: moments every episode that make each one awesome, and often a total :aaaaa: that makes Game Theory: The Game just wonderful. It would be interesting to see a American or english version of this, though getting the right celebs with good chemistry would be tough I think.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Ep 6 was really fun for the first half, then got rough as hell in the 2nd. At this point it seems impossible, but I want so badly for Jinho to make a comeback and win the whole season again. Dude is just a great player, and a stand-up guy. Sadly that makes him the biggest target, but he's really the only one left in the game I'm rooting for. Maybe the producers will recognize that an incredibly lopsided alliance has now formed and at the very least will limit the amount of group interaction in upcoming Death Matches, to at least give either of the SC players left a tiny chance of staying on.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Have not watched season 1, but caught up through season 2 episode 6,

Why would you do this to yourself? You've spoiled the winner of season 1 by watching season 2 first. I also think season 1, at this point, was stronger because of the lack of alliance domination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

The first season was definitely better so far, season 2 is more cutthroat no holds barred vibe whereas season 1 was more friendly and required more individual thought. Only downside of first season was Kim Gura, guy can go to hell