Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GetWellGamers posted:

I will never get tired of this picture, especially the guy on the left.

"Boot to the face! Shield to the face! I am loving this poo poo!" :hist101:

Poor Cadegund is learning all about the dark side of loincloth fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

gently caress Star Wars.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Space Pussy posted:

gently caress Star Wars.

Looks like the people complaining about INT=Damage got their wish.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Space Pussy posted:

gently caress Star Wars.

New party member spotted.
"Most Time in Party: The Devil of Caroc"

Sounds like an affable fellow.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

That's rad. I wonder if Sworn Enemy applies to every enemy or just a specific type.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Space Pussy posted:

gently caress Star Wars.

I can dig it. That screenshot looks sexy as hell.

Still hoping that Barbarians get melee AoE effects that do benefit from Intelligence, because I really want to have an Int Barb.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 14, 2014

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Merry Magpie posted:

Sounds like the sort of party member you'd come across in Planescape:Torment. :allears:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that's a fellow in the fine naming tradition of Annah of the Shadows and One of Many.

Character screen looking good. Hope to see some inventory paper dolls soon.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Krowley posted:

That's rad. I wonder if Sworn Enemy applies to every enemy or just a specific type.
Sworn Enemy is an active use 1/rest ability for paladins. They target one specific enemy and gain bonuses against that enemy until (presumably) the enemy goes down.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

Looks like the people complaining about INT=Damage got their wish.
I'd just come around to that idea too. Is this change for everyone or just barbarians?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is "Concentration" new? I don't remember what that's supposed to do.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Umbra Dubium posted:

Sounds like the sort of party member you'd come across in Planescape:Torment. :allears:

I'd guess she's a war criminal or well-known sadist (cf: Butcher of Prague) rather than an actual devil.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The listed character is a Paladin, and making primary stats affect different substats for different classes is confusing and bad design on its face, especially in a game with this many classes.

One thing we're learning with Kickstarter is that there's only a certain amount of novelty that players are willing to tolerate when it comes to mechanics. Archetypes are not to be hosed with.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lotish posted:

Isn't that the standard Constitution seeing as it modifies health and stamina?

edit: nvm was looking at wrong stat

I like the might stat affecting the magnitude of a characters damage or healing instead of intelligence. You know what a mighty wizard, mighty warrior, and mighty cleric are all capable of pretty much immediately due to standard tropes but an intelligent warrior or cleric or so forth means different things to different folks.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 14, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Lotish posted:

I can dig it. That screenshot looks sexy as hell.

Still hoping that Barbarians get melee AoE effects that do benefit from Intelligence, because I really want to have an Int Barb.
A high Int barbarian would have a larger Carnage radius and Carnage is Extremely Gnarly.

We set up a fight last week with (among other things) two aumaua barbarians dual-wielding battle axes. A lot of people provoked the fight at toe-to-toe range and the aumaua immediately Frenzied. It looked like they were just wading through the party cutting down wheat. Carnage rolls attacks and damage separately from the base attack, but it is still very nasty and bad news if a bunch of dudes are grouped up.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lotish posted:

Rope kid just addressed this elswhere, apparently: "Concentration is similar to Concentration in 3E/3.5 (somewhat similar to Poise in Dark Souls) but it is for everyone, not just spellcasters. Concentration prevents you from playing hit reactions when you take damage. If you cannot maintain Concentration, you will play a hit reaction and your attack/reload/spell is interrupted. We're still defining the system (in fact, I was messing around with the formulae before I sat down), but that's the general idea.

In the new scheme, Might affects damage/healing whether it's a single application or over time. Penetration is something we may or may not use in conjunction with an inherent Penetration value on weapons and other attacks that cause damage. I'm leaning toward "not" right now."

Seems like a very valuable thing for tank-y types without going into the "take this stat for more HP, take that stat for more of a different kind of HP" stuff that I disliked about the earlier mentioned system, so I kinda like it.

EDIT: But is a spell wasted entirely if it gets interrupted?

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 14, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's a shame the stats got shuffled around so much. Not sad to see critical stuff go from attributes, but health and stamina on the same stat seems a little redundant - and it looks like no more inventory size on any attribute. Penetration does seem problematic because it has the potential to undermine the fundamentals of the combat system (the whole armor/weapon interaction if they go with it), not surprised they're realizing it.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 14, 2014

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Maybe the stats people think are missing aren't shown on the basic stats page and are on the detailed stats page instead?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Does http://eternity.obsidian.net/ choke every time a kickstarter update goes out? I try to go there every time the email arrives and nothing loads and then I forget to try again until the next update.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I was looking forward to making a Rogue like Batman, high strength to hold heaps of gadgets. Oh well.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I note the presence of accuracy ratings for both right and left hands. Can you choose to wield a weapon only in your left hand, or does it default to right-as-main?

Note: this is extremely important.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Crotch posted:

EDIT: But is a spell wasted entirely if it gets interrupted?
Currently, no. If a spell or ability doesn't go off, it isn't lost but it has to be started over.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah I just noticed that too. A little sad that some of the more novel ideas are out, but what's there looks perfectly functional and valuable to all classes (depending on how Concentration and Penetration work out, anyway. I mean if Concentration stops hit animations and interruptions, etc, it sounds like there would be a butter zone where you're above all the thresholds and don't need anymore, whereas you'll always want more damage)

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Galler posted:

Does http://eternity.obsidian.net/ choke every time a kickstarter update goes out? I try to go there every time the email arrives and nothing loads and then I forget to try again until the next update.

I'm actually getting

quote:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Which... is sort of a problem, since I haven't logged in successfully yet either.

e: and Stoic Studio's site is down while I'm trying to get my hands on banner saga. A bad day for kickstarter games :saddowns:

Androc fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 15, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ravenfood posted:

I'd just come around to that idea too. Is this change for everyone or just barbarians?

Everyone by all indications. THis is probably also why Strength is now called the more general term Might.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Androc posted:

I'm actually getting

Which... is sort of a problem, since I haven't logged in successfully yet either.

Yeah that's what I'm getting now too. 10 minutes or so ago it just gave a blank page. Maybe this is progress :ohdear:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Merry Magpie posted:

Might is a good term. I like Might. Very straightforward.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
If someone has a might value of 17 they should turn into an airplane imo

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You should :nws: that picture, because that is one sexy beast of an UI

EDIT: and by UI I meant the character page of course

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I love the wood motif of course and the typography heavy treatment. The right-most two panels though are kinda just haphazard Word docs slapped down next to each other; since the stats themselves are still in flux I understand them not wanting to nail that down further just yet. The derived stats on the left look real squished when they have two rows like stamina and health. Kind of wish it was full-screen like the journal/quest log screenshot shown earlier.

Can't wait to fight a dragon up there

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

The Crotch posted:

Rope kid just addressed this elswhere, apparently: "Concentration is similar to Concentration in 3E/3.5 (somewhat similar to Poise in Dark Souls) but it is for everyone, not just spellcasters. Concentration prevents you from playing hit reactions when you take damage. If you cannot maintain Concentration, you will play a hit reaction and your attack/reload/spell is interrupted. We're still defining the system (in fact, I was messing around with the formulae before I sat down), but that's the general idea.

They should call it Poise as well, then. :colbert:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

UI looks awesome, showing the reputation stats is awesome, "Might" is awesome, that screenshot is awesome.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

The Crotch posted:

But will I be able to drink some poison to deaden my senses so that I don't react to pain?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
rope kid, what is A Elardh Dwr?

ps that UI is sick as hell

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Elardh Dwr is a unique breastplate. It's Glanfathan for "Steel Swan".

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

rope kid posted:

Just noticed the +2 from the amulet suppresses the +1 from the breastplate. Does the same system apply to derived stats? So if you have a +1 Con helmet which gives you +2% health, and a +4% Health breastplate, is the health bonus (but not the actual con bonus) from the helmet suppressed?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Scorchy posted:

Can't wait to fight a dragon up there

My god this is beautiful, I was a little concerned awhile ago because I thought the forest areas looked a tad boring, but the detail in this area is phenomenal.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

rope kid posted:

When coming up with language, do you draw any influences from real-world languages? If so, which ones?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

coffeetable posted:

Just noticed the +2 from the amulet suppresses the +1 from the breastplate. Does the same system apply to derived stats? So if you have a +1 Con helmet which gives you +2% health, and a +4% Health breastplate, is the health bonus (but not the actual con bonus) from the helmet suppressed?
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jimbot posted:

When coming up with language, do you draw any influences from real-world languages? If so, which ones?
Yeah I'm almost entirely ripping off/recombining various languages for our conlangs. Vailian is based on Italian, Occitan, French, and a li'l Catalan. Glanfathan is based on Cornish and Welsh with a li'l Irish. Eld Aedyran is based on Old English and a li'l Icelandic.

• Locked thread