Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ikanreed posted:

Actually... That's a bit weird. All the Batman villians who are evil mirrors of one of his characteristics are A listers. That's totally how julio and tarquin read to each other. More similarity almost always leads to an archrival relationship. Especially with pulpy characters like julio.

I don't buy the sick burn.

Batman's a dour sadsack, Julio's a poor comparison. Tony Stark's much more his style, and most of his classic villains aren't really dark mirrors-- Mandarin in particular is nothing like the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
To be fair, even several of Batman's c-list villains are mirrors of him. I'm pretty sure one of them is literally a child who watched his criminal parents gunned down by police as they left the not-opera.

Also, two strips less than a week apart :wtc: I wonder if they're actually gonna do anything with the elven lands. I don't know much about D&D elves and they haven't been too prominent in the comic, so I'm unsure if they would gently caress with the Order too much?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
V might need to go to divorce court.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Cabbit posted:

Batman's a dour sadsack, Julio's a poor comparison. Tony Stark's much more his style, and most of his classic villains aren't really dark mirrors-- Mandarin in particular is nothing like the guy.

Aside from comic Tony Stark being nothing like his movie counterpart, pretty much every single of his recurring villains is a guy in power amour.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

greatn posted:

V might need to go to divorce court.
V signed the papers, making the divorce uncontested, and there hasn't been enough downtime for V to rack up unpaid child support.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wonder what'll come of Roy and Elan planning to topple Tarquin? I suppose he might be resolved before the end of the comic (or even the end of the arc), but if he isn't it might make good epilogue fodder or even a post-OOTS book.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Order of the Stick: Dads are the World's Biggest Problem.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

e X posted:

Aside from comic Tony Stark being nothing like his movie counterpart, pretty much every single of his recurring villains is a guy in power amour.

Except, you know, Mandarin, Madame Masque, MODOK (I'm not counting the flying high-chair as 'armor'), Zeke Stane (a guy created explicitly to be a Stark mirror, so I don't know how you flubbed this one), Living Laser..

I mean, most of his reoccurring 'armor' villains are pretty lame and forgettable. Titanium Man? Crimson Dynamo?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

FMguru posted:

V signed the papers, making the divorce uncontested, and there hasn't been enough downtime for V to rack up unpaid child support.

...not that V necessarily specifically told anyone that they divorced their partner and sold their soul to fiends. Which may or may not be relevant to the ability to pass through Elven airspace, depending on where Rich wants to take the story.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

and sold their soul to fiends.

Leased. He leased his soul to fiends.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Dolash posted:

I wonder what'll come of Roy and Elan planning to topple Tarquin? I suppose he might be resolved before the end of the comic (or even the end of the arc), but if he isn't it might make good epilogue fodder or even a post-OOTS book.

Pretty sure the title of this very comic is answering whether or not this will happen.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A.o.D. posted:

Leased. He leased his soul to fiends.

More of a timeshare, really.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
B-lister. Heh.

Bet the OOTS boards are up in arms about the sequel.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

xiw posted:

Pretty sure the title of this very comic is answering whether or not this will happen.

It could also be referring to the title Elan thought up. As much as Rich is adamant about there only being two books remaining he could always and I feel he always reserves the right to change his mind, even if he himself right now thinks he does not.

Though its possible Xykon is resolved in the next book while Elan's dad is for the book after?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Raenir Salazar posted:

Though its possible Xykon is resolved in the next book while Elan's dad is for the book after?

Assuming we see absolutely nothing more of Tarquin this book, and assuming Sabine doesn't take her own revenge as a minor subplot in a later book, I wouldn't expect Elan's resolution of the EoB to be more than a panel or two in the epilogue of him leading his dad off in chains and shushing him while he complains that they didn't even show it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I will be deeply surprised if Tarquin doesn't bull his way into the final confrontation, but that's me.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

CapnAndy posted:

I will be deeply surprised if Tarquin doesn't bull rush his way into the final confrontation, but that's me.

Come on, it's still a D&D webcomic, even if it's also an up-its-own-rear end(in an amusing way) meta-narrative.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I have no problem with the Tarquin plot basically being resolved as "And Elan later overthrew Tarquin, but that's a story for another day."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CapnAndy posted:

I will be deeply surprised if Tarquin doesn't bull his way into the final confrontation, but that's me.

But what is there to say about that that hasn't already been said? Elan beat his father on every conceivable level apart from actually taking down his empire (which would mean that he didn't actually beat his father, since that is what his father wanted).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In order to be meaningful taking down Tarquin has to involve putting a just government in his place. In a land that has known nothing but a quick succession of warlords and bloody tyrants for generations. Elan either has to become king himself, or the Order takes over Tarquin's crew as the power behind the thrones to stabilize the region. Either way it will probably take the rest of their lives.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Combed Thunderclap posted:

...not that V necessarily specifically told anyone that they divorced their partner and sold their soul to fiends. Which may or may not be relevant to the ability to pass through Elven airspace, depending on where Rich wants to take the story.

Nah, V wouldn't get the elven airspace pass sorted; it'd be the Sapphire Guard.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

I'm fairly certain that Tarquin's squad is going to follow Ian to the final dungeon. Tarquin didn't seem too perturbed that Ian escaped, which could suggest that Ian has some sort of bug tracking on him - outside the traitorous friend, anyway.

Tarquin's story may have finished for the most part but for such a competent rival adventuring party I find it hard to believe that the last we'll see of them is Miron and Laurin teleporting away to safety.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

sebmojo posted:

But what is there to say about that that hasn't already been said?
Nothing, but if Tarquin's shown one defining trait over the last few comics, it's a total and complete inability to realize when the story is Not About Him.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

In order to be meaningful taking down Tarquin has to involve putting a just government in his place. In a land that has known nothing but a quick succession of warlords and bloody tyrants for generations. Elan either has to become king himself, or the Order takes over Tarquin's crew as the power behind the thrones to stabilize the region. Either way it will probably take the rest of their lives.

It wouldn't surprise me, actually, if they end up installing the Sapphire refugees there instead of doing it themselves. The only reason Azure City is where it is was because of the Snarl, which is no longer a concern. and given that a major plot point over the course of the story is "Goblins were literally created so that people could kill them", I'd be very surprised if everyone just goes back to the status quo after all is said and done.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ursine Asylum posted:

It wouldn't surprise me, actually, if they end up installing the Sapphire refugees there instead of doing it themselves. The only reason Azure City is where it is was because of the Snarl, which is no longer a concern. and given that a major plot point over the course of the story is "Goblins were literally created so that people could kill them", I'd be very surprised if everyone just goes back to the status quo after all is said and done.

I suspect the Sapphirites are right now putting down roots in their current location; it seems to be a pretty good place to settle.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

Isn't that a Start of Darkness spoiler? Do we mark those? I'm going to mark it just in case.

Anyway, did we ever hear that story from a less biased source than (Book 0 spoilers) the propaganda info from the cloak made by a god whose name is literally "The Dark One"?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zogundar posted:

Isn't that a Start of Darkness spoiler? Do we mark those? I'm going to mark it just in case.

Anyway, did we ever hear that story from a less biased source than (Book 0 spoilers) the propaganda info from the cloak made by a god whose name is literally "The Dark One"?

SoD: To be fair, that's a name he earned in life from his complexion. And a recurring theme in redcloak's story is that evil doesn't mean Evil, like Xykon, sometimes it has its reasons for doing terrible things.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Zogundar posted:

Possibly? I don't know if it's a spoiler anymore per se, since we get the lowdown on The Dark One's plan in OOTS proper, just not as much of the motivation behind it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Nothing, but if Tarquin's shown one defining trait over the last few comics, it's a total and complete inability to realize when the story is Not About Him.

And that's why he's being left behind. The story is not about him. The story will not come back to him. That's the explicit message of this strip (in case you were blind to all nuance over the last couple of dozen pages).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Alchenar posted:

And that's why he's being left behind. The story is not about him. The story will not come back to him. That's the explicit message of this strip (in case you were blind to all nuance over the last couple of dozen pages).

I think you're taking the meta-narrative bit too seriously when so much is left of the [i]actual/i] narrative. Laurin's favor, the rest of his team, the explicit mention in the latest strip all indicate that we're definitely going to see something else. I'm sure Tarquin will still be underminded and ultimately killed off in some satisfactory way, but this isn't "Poochie died on the way back to his home planet."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wolfsheim posted:

...but this isn't "Poochie died on the way back to his home planet."

I now know exactly how I want Tarquin's presence in the strip to be resolved. :allears:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean, they are making another pit stop in the god forsaken desert to pick up her dad, there's a nonzero chance he shows up again.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

prefect posted:

I now know exactly how I want Tarquin's presence in the strip to be resolved. :allears:

I have a message. General Tarquin... his airship... was shot down... over the Great Barren Desert. It spun in... there were no survivors.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Honestly, I could see a one or two page epilogue to this arc where Tarquin gets shanked in the desert by Sabine and then dragged to hell or something.

Hell, does he even have anything that can hurt her right now?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Okay, Rich, we get it. Fathers are irrational about how they think the world works, are obsessed with their children playing important roles in making sure that the world works that way, and go crazy and destructive when those children take a different path. That's why Gene forced Roy to continue the quest to kill Xykon and won't stop bitching about how terrible a job his son is doing at it; why Tarquin tried to destroy the Order so that Elan would finally take the right role in what Tarquin's narrative is; and why Ian initially rejected Haley and Elan because they didn't share his paranoid fantasies.

We get it. Please don't make us spend six months dealing with Ian Starshine just so you can make the point again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eschers Basement posted:

Okay, Rich, we get it. Fathers are irrational about how they think the world works, are obsessed with their children playing important roles in making sure that the world works that way, and go crazy and destructive when those children take a different path. That's why Gene forced Roy to continue the quest to kill Xykon and won't stop bitching about how terrible a job his son is doing at it; why Tarquin tried to destroy the Order so that Elan would finally take the right role in what Tarquin's narrative is; and why Ian initially rejected Haley and Elan because they didn't share his paranoid fantasies.

We get it. Please don't make us spend six months dealing with Ian Starshine just so you can make the point again.
I'm just glad that there exists almost no possibility of Xykon's dad showing up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At least Malack managed to instill the right values into Durkon.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eschers Basement posted:

Guess what turns out to be the true relationship between the Snarl and the Gods.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Leper Colon V posted:

I'm just glad that there exists almost no possibility of Xykon's dad showing up.

Ehhh, his angry ghost could show up only to get Rebuked away by an impatient and annoyed Redcloak as a gag. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Alchenar posted:

Guess what turns out to be the true relationship between the Snarl and the Gods.
I always thought it looked rather yonnic.