Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Squidster posted:

As for the swords being made of Titan gunk, Hanji said Annie's shell was like nothing she'd ever seen, and I assume she would draw a parallel to their blades composition if there was one.
One of the infodumps described blade production and the black box within the 3DMG to be a high guarded secret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Jackard posted:

One of the infodumps described blade production and the black box within the 3DMG to be a high guarded secret

Honestly I would not be surprised if there were titans trapped in the center castle that create stuff like that. The steam for the gear, the metal for the blades, etc.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Jackard posted:

Wait, there's a black box inside the 3DMG? This comes as a surprise to me! Where did they mention that?

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
It is a good question though: if the walls are made of hardened crystallized Titans, how could Reiner break it just by ramming into it? I know Reiner has his own kind of armor, but it's not the same type and I doubt it would be harder than what Annie used. Are the Titans in the walls dying?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I thought it was because they attacked the parts of the walls with gates in them, which probably wouldn't have a Titan inside them.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I thought it was because they attacked the parts of the walls with gates in them, which probably wouldn't have a Titan inside them.

Well Annie climbed a portion with one inside and it chipped away cleanly.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, there's a black box inside the 3DMG? This comes as a surprise to me! Where did they mention that?
http://shingekinokyojin.wikia.com/wiki/Three_Dimensional_Maneuver_Gear#Mechanics

I don't remember where it mentions this in the manga, but it does at some point. Same with factory cities.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Jackard posted:

http://shingekinokyojin.wikia.com/wiki/Three_Dimensional_Maneuver_Gear#Mechanics

I don't remember where it mentions this in the manga, but it does at some point. Same with factory cities.

I had figured that this was handwaving away the impossible science of the 3dmg and the blades. To be fair, I had also thought the walls were just a necessary handwave, so maybe...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Yes, Bert and Reiner broke through the gates, not the walls themselves. I think the only times we've seen something deal serious damage to the wall itself was Annie climbing a wall, and Monkey Titan climbing a wall and tearing off chunks of it.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

Yes, Bert and Reiner broke through the gates, not the walls themselves. I think the only times we've seen something deal serious damage to the wall itself was Annie climbing a wall, and Monkey Titan climbing a wall and tearing off chunks of it.

Not to mention that the comic clearly shows Annie hardening her fingertips before digging them into the wall, so it might be one of those "only hardened titan whatever can cut itself" things. What I find amusing is how they expect to patch up the holes that Annie made without murdering a whole bunch of laborers who have to work face to face with a dormant colossal titan.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
The stuff Annie ripped out wasn't titan crystal anyway, it was regular masonry added to disguise the fact that the wall is made of titans/to keep the wall titans away from sunlight. It's essentially a decorative facade.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

Crunchyroll: "And everyone's been miserable today because of it."

Whatever translation's floating around: "Because of you, the outside air was rotten like a cistern."

Crunchyroll: "It's been that way for over a hundred years. It's always been poo poo inside here."

Other one: "If it's like this for a hundred more years, the inside walls will long be rotted over."

Pretty sure one of these translations is severely hosed up.

I just checked the raw. At this point in time, I would rely only on Crunchyroll for your speculating needs, because CR is correct and it looks like the poo poo translations just look up individual words and string them together in something that resembles a sentence.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The only good non-CR translation is mangastream, who are usually a week or more behind the incoherent speed scans.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Love is in the air in the latest Spoof on Titan. https://www.mangabox.me/reader/SpoofonTitan/

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Spoof is the best Titan spinoff

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So, I just realized a thing.

Why don't they create a moat outside of the walls? That would pretty much be a perfect defense against Titans. Water isn't really necessary; normal titans have no way to climb a smooth wall.

The biggest issue would probably be digging the moat without getting eaten, but at the very least they could make one around the inner walls.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ytlaya posted:

Why don't they create a moat outside of the walls? That would pretty much be a perfect defense against Titans. Water isn't really necessary; normal titans have no way to climb a smooth wall.

The biggest issue would probably be digging the moat without getting eaten, but at the very least they could make one around the inner walls.

They dug ditches in front of the gates (the covers come off during the Trost attack), but eventually they just filled up with titans and they started climbing out.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Ytlaya posted:

The walls are really, really massive. I forget where I'm pulling this from, but I think the area inside the outer wall was compared to a country like France. Even the inner wall is still probably a pretty massive area to try and dig a singular moat around, water or no.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The radius of Wall Maria is about 480 km. The circumference of the entire wall is about 3000 km. Even Wall Rose has a circumference of about 2200 km. Have fun digging thousands of kilometers of trenches with late medieval technology.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 15, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
So if you dug a ditch around, say, the gate cities where more titans gather around the outside, it still wouldn't be very effective. It would fill up with near-unkillable titans before long (even if you buried them or dropped flaming oil on them) and just make the problem worse. It's better to just rely on the huge walls (whose origins are the second-biggest mystery of the series) so you can let the brainless titans grope at them for a while and move on.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to have all sorts of tripwires and pitfalls right inside the gates or other weak areas just in case of a breach.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's the zombie problem, you eventually hit a point where the endless horde of unthinking monsters driven by hunger just pile up in the pit. It's not like once their in the moat the titans are gonna go 'gently caress me, a hole in the ground? Didn't sign up for this!' Unless you have a dude dumping napalm on them every hour or something it's not gonna work. Also yea the walls are huge, didn't the first issue have some line about a dude being excited to go from, like, the western wall to the eastern one, because he's never been there before? Each one is basically a proper nation, not just some city with walls.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not really sure what a moat would help with? The walls are doing just fine deterring titans. And it wouldn't stop intelligent titans or anything.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

coathat posted:

Love is in the air in the latest Spoof on Titan. https://www.mangabox.me/reader/SpoofonTitan/

These usually make me smile but that last page made me actually laugh out loud. Much like the source this gets much better with time.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

TK-31 posted:

These usually make me smile but that last page made me actually laugh out loud. Much like the source this gets much better with time.

Yeah the earlier ones were great, but the last panels with Bertolt's sweaty face and Mikasa is just pure gold.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Logistical problems aside, it's because the people who make up the "royal government" don't actually want humanity to make any real progress defeating the Titans. :ssh:

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

visceril posted:

Oh my initial impression was that the land inside the walls was like a big bowl with ordinary soil filled in. Now I think it's more likely that the 'bedrock' the miner encountered was one of the titan's hardened feet.
I think it's just the wall footing, not titan feet. Walls sometimes have a buried upside-down t-shape cross section and the spread-out footing helps distribute the weight and provide resistance against overturning. The walls are so massive that I don't imagine most normal overturning forces would have any real effect even over a hundred years (assuming elevation is roughly even i.e. there's nowhere the wall acts as a retaining wall), so presumably the wall footing dimensions had the design requirements of limiting settlement (from soil consolidation), and deterring people with shovels from loving with the foundations. Of course if the wall foundations are really like that, building the walls becomes a logistical challenge once again, unless the mass for the walls was transmuted in place--either the earth occupying the volume now filled by the wall foundations was removed through labor, or turned into the wall material, or displaced by the force of the wall mass expanding (that doesn't make sense mechanically, nor is it compatible with the underground being a counter against transformation, but it's the other possibility in this set). Of course if there's titans all inside the walls, I guess the labor required to dig the foundations wouldn't be prohibitive.

(I think between the anime-only thing and the fact that titan people in general don't comport with standard understanding of conservation of mass and energy this speculation is both frivolous and unlikely to yield useful results)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The unity Attack on Titan webgame and the 3DS official one have some fierce competition now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TK-31 posted:

The unity Attack on Titan webgame and the 3DS official one have some fierce competition now.

Is there any way they'd ever for one day be allowed to be on Steam? I mean, it's literally the thing but with one letter changed.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is there any way they'd ever for one day be allowed to be on Steam? I mean, it's literally the thing but with one letter changed.

Two letters :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If someone really wanted to make a low effort AoT game, they'd just make a tower defence one.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Sakurazuka posted:

If someone really wanted to make a low effort AoT game, they'd just make a tower defence one.

I unironically want this now, except (at least early on) the towers can't actually kill the Titans they just slow them down until you can send the Scouts after them. Or Eren, or whatever is coming next in the story.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 17, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

D1Sergo posted:

I unironically want this now, except (at least early on) the towers can't actually kill the Titans they just slow them down until you can send the Scouts after them. Or Eren, or whatever is coming next in the story.

A tower defense game would actually work pretty well, I think. Especially if they did something kinda like Orcs Must Die and have third person action segments in addition to trap placing.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Sakurazuka posted:

What, like Castle Utgard?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Genocyber posted:

A tower defense game would actually work pretty well, I think. Especially if they did something kinda like Orcs Must Die and have third person action segments in addition to trap placing.

Yea I'd play the gently caress out of Titans Must Die.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
It could work.

silloh
Sep 5, 2008
What's the creature using the 3dmg?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

silloh posted:

What's the creature using the 3dmg?

The.....vendor, I think it was, from Plants vs Zombies.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Vincent Valentine posted:

The.....vendor, I think it was, from Plants vs Zombies.

Crazy Dave!

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
I just finished watching the first season, I can't help but wonder how come none of the bigger dudes don't use heavier blades.
It's seems they would have different fighter classes, like light and high agility or heavy with low agility and heavy striking power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can't have low agility against titans, the reason they're such a threat is because they're so fast and part of being able to beat them is needing the agility to do that since you have to slice a specific part of their body. I mean the best way to be a heavy guy and fight a titan would be to literally chop their limbs off to the point they are at level with you and unless they have discovered how to become Sundowner, I don't think that's happening any time soon for everyone.