Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octo1
May 7, 2009
Hey rope kid, would it be possible to switch off Intellect's effect on AoE size? It might make it difficult to avoid hitting allies with fireballs and the such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

(palle = balls, also used for testicles + gina out of vagina)

Ohhhhhh. That's unfortunate.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Octo1 posted:

Hey rope kid, would it be possible to switch off Intellect's effect on AoE size? It might make it difficult to avoid hitting allies with fireballs and the such.

The real reason nerds have no friends is that all of those friends were caught in a fireball blast.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm confused on what some of the stats mean - Three letter acronyms remind me of Bards Tale, but don't we run higher resolutions and bigger screens these days and can use longer words?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Will ironman mode have friendly fire? Will we be able to turn it on and off on any difficulties or is it always on in high difficulty?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

epitasis posted:

Ohhhhhh. That's unfortunate.

Maybe, but then again Gino/Gina are real names, and if SA hadn't pointed it out to me first I really wouldn't have noticed. Without knowing the character is also difficult to know what kind of impression they're meaning to give with the name (if any at all).

Vaginas aside, I'm really a huge fan of the new outdoor screenshots. Defiance Bay looked slightly boring from the screenshots shown so far, but Twin Elms sounds like a place I'm really eager to visit.

Comstar posted:

I'm confused on what some of the stats mean - Three letter acronyms remind me of Bards Tale, but don't we run higher resolutions and bigger screens these days and can use longer words?

Might
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

Octo1 posted:

Ha, this is a pretty good question.

That UI is gorgeous btw.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
That's another thing that ToEE does better than Infinity-engine games, you can see exactly the radius of AoE effect spells, the game highlights everyone that is going to get hit and even labels them numerically.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Octo1 posted:

Your Fireball thrower doesn't have to be Intellect based.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DatonKallandor posted:

Your Fireball thrower doesn't have to be Intellect based.

True, but intellect would be a cooler stat if it did allow you to fine tune AoE size up to a maximum defined by a combination of the ability specifics and your attribute score.

I don't care about any attributes other than resolve and might anymore though. This game now has poise. Dark Souls taught me that offense-heavy high-poise characters are the best way to play every game.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 15, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It would be pretty nifty if you could scroll up and down to select the exact AoE size you want. For characters with absurdly high Int, they could hit the best part of a screen's worth of enemies, or get only two that you're melee characters are surrounding.

Wait has there been any word about multi-classing?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

VanSandman posted:

It would be pretty nifty if you could scroll up and down to select the exact AoE size you want. For characters with absurdly high Int, they could hit the best part of a screen's worth of enemies, or get only two that you're melee characters are surrounding.

Wait has there been any word about multi-classing?

That's exactly what I was thinking. With the mouse wheel.

And yeah, multi-classing's not in. The classes have been designed to be flexible though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

I don't care about any attributes other than resolve and might anymore though. This game now has poise. Dark Souls taught me that offense-heavy high-poise characters are the best way to play every game.

You're going to play a whole party anyway, so perhaps overly focusing on the single character you build at the beginning on the game isn't the best way to think about the game.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

CottonWolf posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking. With the mouse wheel.

Be smoother to mousedown on the center of the blast, then drag out to the radius you want, then release to cast. Single click gets you maximum radius.

INT will be an interesting one to see balanced actually because it's got a quadratic effect associated with it: for spells with both a duration and an area of effect, both will be boosted simultaneously.

e: Similarly, CON boosts both health/stamina and Fortitude.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 15, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It would probably be really hard to balance, but it would be really neat to see stuff like resizable-via-mousewheel AoE spells, and maybe something like Ctrl-Mousewheel functionality to scroll between spells being direct damage and DoT, where max DoT would be the most mana efficient.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You're going to play a whole party anyway, so perhaps overly focusing on the single character you build at the beginning on the game isn't the best way to think about the game.

But you only build one character. The others I use will be purely based on how interesting I think their characterisation is. The PC is the only one you have any real design control over, at least the way I play it. Assuming there are no respecs, NPCs statblocks are what they are.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I like the idea of resizing your AoE size. The higher the intellect, the further out AND tighter in you can go. If you have a smaller int, you're stuck with one size - can't reduce the size -, because you lack control, but if you're higher up in int you can focus your area with more precision.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It would also be cool if the smaller you make your radius the more powerful it is.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I think we're going to support right-click AoE scaling at least for guard functionality.

Yes, we are bringing that back for this game even though I am apparently the only person who used it.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

rope kid posted:

I think we're going to support right-click AoE scaling at least for guard functionality.

Yes, we are bringing that back for this game even though I am apparently the only person who used it.

I used it some but the guard button is like the first thing the IE interface sacrifices whenever more slots are needed for class abilities or whatever, and my parties generally don't have a lot of straight-up fighters in them.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I must admit I forgot about that button. I don't think I ever knew what it actually did mechanically.

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005
There was a guard function in IE games???

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

DrManiac posted:

It would also be cool if the smaller you make your radius the more powerful it is.
That'd make INT a damage stat, which would break separation of concerns.

rope kid posted:

right-click AoE scaling for guard functionality.
Didn't even know this was a thing. Welp.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Eh, thinking about it, I can see how Pallegina (palle = balls, also used for testicles + gina out of vagina) might sound silly, but despite being a native speaker that didn't really come to mind when I saw the name, it just seemed like a made-up Italian-sounding name.
I don't think it's an exaggeration that 1-3 times on every project, someone writes to me and lets me know that if you change/drop/add two letters and an accent in a character/place name, it means Farty Poop Butt or equivalent in their native language.

For Edér, someone told me about the German footballer Norbert Eder. Someone else told us that in Hungarian if you add a letter or two and shift an accent it's apparently some goofy TV character.

Even if we directly used real world names verbatim, those names often mean wacky things in other languages. At least she's not named Salma.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

QVC Drinking Game posted:

There was a guard function in IE games???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PreAABChTyQ

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

rope kid posted:

It would be real useful for damage spells where you want to hit them with something nasty but not mix up too many of your guys in it. While it's by no means a necessary feature, it would be super-sweet to have.

How fast will the combat be? One of the things that bugged me about the Infinity engine was how quickly it took to resolve an action. It made pausing an absolute necessity if you wanted to do anything tactically complex. In Dragon Age, they had a decent work-around where you were able to customize the battle behavior for your characters based on circumstances in battle, so you only had to intervene when things got dangerous and could otherwise control one character at a time.
What's the current thinking in-office about letting the players customize either of these things?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We're still tuning overall combat speed, which should be similar to mid-level IWD or BG2 combat. We also have a slow mode that drops the speed of the entire game world to about 50% (maybe even slower). You can play pretty big fights in that way without much (sometimes any) pausing.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
"Welcome to the real world" indeed. A summary of late 90s/early 00s crpgs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5EYYUbKhWQ

:swoon:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

rope kid posted:

We're still tuning overall combat speed, which should be similar to mid-level IWD or BG2 combat. We also have a slow mode that drops the speed of the entire game world to about 50% (maybe even slower). You can play pretty big fights in that way without much (sometimes any) pausing.

That's perfect for me! Thanks.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Explain this "guard" business.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Wingless posted:

Explain this "guard" business.
The shield icon in the main HUD can be clicked and dragged (and will really ONLY work if clicked and dragged) to create a radius that the selected characters will guard. They move to the center of the circle and will move to intercept enemies that move inside the radius. If there are no enemies in the radius, they return to the center of the circle.

In PE there will be a default radius but we want to allow it to be scaled.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rope kid posted:

The shield icon in the main HUD can be clicked and dragged (and will really ONLY work if clicked and dragged) to create a radius that the selected characters will guard. They move to the center of the circle and will move to intercept enemies that move inside the radius. If there are no enemies in the radius, they return to the center of the circle.

That seems horribly counterintuitive to the rest of the UI there. I was never aware that was ever a thing. I could have used that often.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Drifter posted:

That seems horribly counterintuitive to the rest of the UI there. I was never aware that was ever a thing. I could have used that often.

You could probably have read about that from the manual =^_^=

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

How did basically none of us know about this? Clearly it wasn't that important, seeing as we all didn't use it, but still, that's kind of crazy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ihmemies posted:

It might have been in the quick reference guide, but I never saw it in the bound manual. <(*_*)>

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Never trust the Infinite Engine manuals. Seriously, those are full of things that are just flat out wrong. Even today i'll find people who think Wis actually does something to saves. It Does Not.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Most of the ability and racial bonuses that were absent for BG were added in IWD (and were definitely there in IWD2). IDK about BG2.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

rope kid posted:

The shield icon in the main HUD can be clicked and dragged (and will really ONLY work if clicked and dragged) to create a radius that the selected characters will guard.

:aaaaa: that is unreal. This literally changes everything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

rope kid posted:

At least she's not named Salma.

*Incidentally* you can roughly translate that to corpse/remains in Italian. Just in case you have a Vailian female necromancer NPC! :downs:

• Locked thread