Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Hello fellow goons, I'm having problems with the LAN Network on my office and I was wondering if anyone here could gave some advice (since the IT guy here has pretty much given up and is waiting for a tech from the central office and who knows when is gonna come)

The whole thing is a wired network with multiple routers set to allow access to everyone here (we're 15 people and we have two PC's set as servers). The problem is than we can't get access to the main server but oddly enough, the server can access our computers fine (The server is running on Windows Server 2003), and the ping command shows a stable communication to the server from any machine on the network.

My network knowledge is pretty limited but I'm guessing the problem is with the network connection configuration but I don't know how to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Hello fellow goons, I'm having problems with the LAN Network on my office and I was wondering if anyone here could gave some advice (since the IT guy here has pretty much given up and is waiting for a tech from the central office and who knows when is gonna come)

The whole thing is a wired network with multiple routers set to allow access to everyone here (we're 15 people and we have two PC's set as servers). The problem is than we can't get access to the main server but oddly enough, the server can access our computers fine (The server is running on Windows Server 2003), and the ping command shows a stable communication to the server from any machine on the network.

My network knowledge is pretty limited but I'm guessing the problem is with the network connection configuration but I don't know how to fix it.

This sounds like a firewall issue. If ping comes back alright then there's nothing blocking on the network layer. I would probably look into the Windows Firewall config (or just straight up disable it for a short time to test) and see if there are any rules in there blocking your traffic.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cenodoxus posted:

This sounds like a firewall issue. If ping comes back alright then there's nothing blocking on the network layer. I would probably look into the Windows Firewall config (or just straight up disable it for a short time to test) and see if there are any rules in there blocking your traffic.

Thanks for the answer, but I just checked and the firewall is disabled, what it was enabled is the Routing and Remote Access service. I tried disabled it and no dice, when I try to acces from my computer I still getting an error message about not finding the network route.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Thanks for the answer, but I just checked and the firewall is disabled, what it was enabled is the Routing and Remote Access service. I tried disabled it and no dice, when I try to acces from my computer I still getting an error message about not finding the network route.

Can you access it by connecting to the IP? Also can you RDP into it?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Are you trying to access it by name or IP?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

evol262 posted:

Are you trying to access it by name or IP?

Both and I'm getting the same error message about wrong network route, trying inputting the IP on Chrome just led me to Windows Server's Welcome screen tho.

Inspector_666 posted:

Also can you RDP into it?

That feature isn't enabled on any machine on the network.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Both and I'm getting the same error message about wrong network route, trying inputting the IP on Chrome just led me to Windows Server's Welcome screen tho.

That feature isn't enabled on any machine on the network.
Edit: Nevermind.. This is not really home network topical.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 16, 2014

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
There any routers that can handle high speed VPN traffic? I setup VPN on my E3000 and was seeing speeds of around 5Mbps, I normally get around 80-100.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SOHO routers or pro routers?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ashex posted:

There any routers that can handle high speed VPN traffic? I setup VPN on my E3000 and was seeing speeds of around 5Mbps, I normally get around 80-100.

Sorry I'm sounding like a broken record.

http://blog.linitx.com/ubiquiti-edgerouter-performance-testing/

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I considered that but I'll probably upgrade my wireless router before I buy a dedicated routing appliance. I really wish I didn't give away my cisco vpn router as this would have been the perfect use.

I only really need it for my file server so I'll just figure out how to route apps through it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Any thoughts on the Netgear "unmanaged plus" switches such as the GS105/108/116E as a way to add VLAN capability to my home network cheaply?

I'm currently using plain gigabit desktop switches across the board and I'd like to add VLAN capability so I can better simulate some customer environments and to support a wired "guest network" that can't access my printer, DVR, etc. when I host LAN parties.

I rent so the amount of wiring required to properly home-run everything and just get a single large central switch is impractical, making trunked VLANs the next best option.

I'm also open to suggestions of other switch lines if there's a better choice for my needs.

Absolute requirements
Gigabit
802.1q VLANs
Port statistics (errors, traffic)

Features I'd pay a bit extra for
SNMP port stats
Useful CLI

Features I'd like, but don't expect to find in my price range
802.1x
LACP

I know the Netgears only hit the first of these three sections, using a proprietary app for configuration and control, but they're a lot cheaper than any other VLAN-aware switches I've found in the past.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I have 2 GS108T's and I didn't know there was a proprietary app, I've always used the web interface. Configuration is a little buggy and slow but vlans and syslogging work fine, and the speeds are pretty good. The web ui has port statistics but I've not tried SNMP. LACP and 802.1x are supported but I haven't tried them either.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 17, 2014

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone have luck installing Shibbys Tomato on a N66U over the web ui? I'm running OSX and want to know if it is possible before setting up a bootcamp to do this.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
What is the current goon-preferred VPN service?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

bewbies posted:

http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition/

editor
Feb 4, 2007

bewbies posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519315

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007
My knowledge of powerline adaptors isn't great, any ideas why the transmit rate would be twice the receive rate with this? My router and both powerline devices are gigabit ports and using CAT5E cables.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

wolrah posted:

Any thoughts on the Netgear "unmanaged plus" switches such as the GS105/108/116E as a way to add VLAN capability to my home network cheaply?

I'm currently using plain gigabit desktop switches across the board and I'd like to add VLAN capability so I can better simulate some customer environments and to support a wired "guest network" that can't access my printer, DVR, etc. when I host LAN parties.

I rent so the amount of wiring required to properly home-run everything and just get a single large central switch is impractical, making trunked VLANs the next best option.

I'm also open to suggestions of other switch lines if there's a better choice for my needs.

Absolute requirements
Gigabit
802.1q VLANs

SNMP port stats
Useful CLI

802.1x
LACP

I know the Netgears only hit the first of these three sections, using a proprietary app for configuration and control, but they're a lot cheaper than any other VLAN-aware switches I've found in the past.

Anything that supports DD-WRT will do all of these, assuming you have another dedicated device you can send rflow to that can also potentially act as a server for 802.1x. You can even set up virtual SSIDs on those VLANs.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ninja Rope posted:

I have 2 GS108T's and I didn't know there was a proprietary app, I've always used the web interface. Configuration is a little buggy and slow but vlans and syslogging work fine, and the speeds are pretty good. The web ui has port statistics but I've not tried SNMP. LACP and 802.1x are supported but I haven't tried them either.

Didn't realize the next level up was so close, yeah I see no reason to bother with the GS108E when the T is only a few bucks more.

Pudgygiant posted:

Anything that supports DD-WRT will do all of these, assuming you have another dedicated device you can send rflow to that can also potentially act as a server for 802.1x. You can even set up virtual SSIDs on those VLANs.

DD-WRT is for routers, I'm asking about switches. I know some routers contain basic managed switches, but anything larger than five ports is rare. A Tomato-powered Netgear is actually one of my roommates' desktop switch right now so he probably won't bother to get anything new.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think the point is that if a five-port will work, a DD-WRT router (even with wireless disabled) can be a cheaper VLAN-capable switch than the cheapest actual VLAN-capable switches.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

wolrah posted:

Didn't realize the next level up was so close, yeah I see no reason to bother with the GS108E when the T is only a few bucks more.

DD-WRT is for routers, I'm asking about switches. I know some routers contain basic managed switches, but anything larger than five ports is rare. A Tomato-powered Netgear is actually one of my roommates' desktop switch right now so he probably won't bother to get anything new.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BTKPRYO/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?qid=1390081746&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Mikrotik rb260gs is a nice managed switch for the money

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Just found this thread so I guess I'll introduce myself and/or humblebrag. :smuggo:

I have a somewhat excessive home network (short of the guys running their own test lab at home) it's a bit of a hobby I guess.

This is the heart of everything in the basement, house is wired with cat5.

Network diagram:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

e.pie posted:

Just found this thread so I guess I'll introduce myself and/or humblebrag. :smuggo:

I have a somewhat excessive home network (short of the guys running their own test lab at home) it's a bit of a hobby I guess.

This is the heart of everything in the basement, house is wired with cat5.

Network diagram:

what did you use to map this out?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MMD3 posted:

what did you use to map this out?

http://www.gliffy.com/ and took a screenshot because I'm cheap

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

wolrah posted:

Absolute requirements
Gigabit
802.1q VLANs

SNMP port stats
Useful CLI

802.1x
LACP

The Linksys SRW2008 can do VLANs, it runs a stripped down Cisco IOS. It has 8 gig ports and 2 miniGBICs. They are discontinued but you can get them on ebay all day for under $100.

edit:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9971/index.html

There's also 16, 24, and 48 port versions.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 19, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

e.pie posted:

Netbook "server", no vlans, no 802.3ad, no l3 switch, no SAN, no closet, no patch panel, single personality wireless routers

0/10

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Are the Asus n66u routers still a solid choice? I don't have anything that runs on AC at the moment, and can't fathom what I would get in the near future that would justify getting an AC router now. Aside from the band, are the AC routers any better in terms of reception/compatibility given that they're inherently newer?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I think the N66U is really buggy. I get a lot of failed connections from my Mac on 5ghz and I'm the only one around using those bands, but I can't tell if that's the router or my laptop or solar flares or something. When I get a solid connection the speed is fantastic. If I had to do it again I'd get an Apple AirPort Extreme.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

evol262 posted:

Netbook "server", no vlans, no 802.3ad, no l3 switch, no SAN, no closet, no patch panel, single personality wireless routers

0/10

lol the netbook is for a friend that wanted a dedicated server for a game he plays and it was just collecting dust.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Ninja Rope posted:

I think the N66U is really buggy. I get a lot of failed connections from my Mac on 5ghz and I'm the only one around using those bands, but I can't tell if that's the router or my laptop or solar flares or something.
Counterpoint: I use and have deployed 9 N66Us so far, a few with daily client counts of between 5-25 devices (mostly Windows laptops, iOS devices and some Android devices).

Rock solid, great range, no reboots needed in, say, 8-10 months.

Is this anecdotal evidence? Yes. Is this a larger sample set than other reported use cases? Yes.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Tapedump posted:

Counterpoint: I use and have deployed 9 N66Us so far, a few with daily client counts of between 5-25 devices (mostly Windows laptops, iOS devices and some Android devices).

Is this anecdotal evidence? Yes. Is this a larger sample set than other reported use cases? Yes.

Were you able to change the admin UI port, username, use a password > 16 characters, or enable SSL? I'm not using many features but the first few things I tried to change sure made things go weird. I have no idea if the connection issues are the fault of the N66U or of something else, but my Mac reports a great signal and I still lose connection frequently. That's my one person/N66U anecdote.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Tapedump posted:

Are you using Tomato firmware or the latest ASUS firmware? I have been using this router for a few days now with no problems under the official updated firmware. Wonder if it is worth flashing with Tomato for added stability/speed.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think the point is that if a five-port will work, a DD-WRT router (even with wireless disabled) can be a cheaper VLAN-capable switch than the cheapest actual VLAN-capable switches.

Yeah, that's exactly my point. If you ABSOLUTELY need more than 5 ports (but not more than 5 VLANs) just hang a couple cheap rear end dumb switches off of it. And it's going to be way drat cheaper to use DD-WRT's implementation of .1x (if you have a server) than it will be to pick up something that supports it. Sure, you won't get fancy Cisco ASICs and 96gb of throughput, but I think you'll survive.

e
Not being a dick with this, but you are aware you'll need something upstream that supports trunking right?

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 19, 2014

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I suspect my network is failing for about 3 or four seconds then kicking back in. Is there any tool that continuously test your connectivity and record/alert you of brief outages?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

You'll probably get better suggestions, but if you're serving any content you could simply use pingdom. You can use it for free with one site.

Otherwise throw together a script to use telnet to check a port connection, see here for an example.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Having an issue with our network at work, I really hope someone can help, it's driving me loving crazy. We're just a small machine shop, we have 8 computers connected via an 8 port router. There's nothing fancy going on, just some shared folders used to transfer files from one PC to another. This has worked fine for probably 5 years but now it's loving up and driving us crazy, and I'm the only one around here who at least knows enough to make me dangerous.

We use one of the main PCs to download files which are shared with all other computers. They are saved in a shared folder in My Documents. The permissions on this folder are set for full control to Admins, Everyone, and System. Lately, every time we save a new file into the folder, the file becomes inaccessible to all other computers. What I end up doing is going back in and re-setting the permissions on the folder, and then everything will become available on the network again.

The PC the folder is on is Windows XP, the PCs accessing it are a combination of XP and W7. The error message I get trying to access one of the inaccessible files is "You require permission from the computers administrator to make changes to this file"

This worked perfectly for so long, I don't know what the hell changed, but it's driving me up a wall, and I will love you if someone can help me with this. I apologize if this is scatterbrained, was typing stuff out as I was thinking of it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

A Proper Uppercut posted:

..permissions problem...

#1 - Check inheritance settings... Open the Security settings for the shared folder and then click Advanced. The "Applies To" column should read "This folder, subfolders, and files".

#2 - If that is OK, then you might be running into a little pain in the rear end design choice MS made... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310316

Moving a file from folder to folder on the same disk drive = file retains permissions of the SOURCE folder regardless of inheritance settings.. To get it to assume permissions of the destination folder you have to manually reapply permissions. If you are for example downloading a file to the desktop on the main XP machine, and then while on that same machine you move the folder from the desktop to the shared folder, it by design will NOT inherit the permissions of the folder its moved into.

Moving a file from a different drive = file inherits permissions of the destination folder.

Now if someone copies a file into the shared folder from another machine, it should be inheriting the permissions, assuming Apply To settings are correct.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

stevewm posted:

#1 - Check inheritance settings... Open the Security settings for the shared folder and then click Advanced. The "Applies To" column should read "This folder, subfolders, and files".

#2 - If that is OK, then you might be running into a little pain in the rear end design choice MS made... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310316

Moving a file from folder to folder on the same disk drive = file retains permissions of the SOURCE folder regardless of inheritance settings.. To get it to assume permissions of the destination folder you have to manually reapply permissions. If you are for example downloading a file to the desktop on the main XP machine, and then while on that same machine you move the folder from the desktop to the shared folder, it by design will NOT inherit the permissions of the folder its moved into.

Moving a file from a different drive = file inherits permissions of the destination folder.

Now if someone copies a file into the shared folder from another machine, it should be inheriting the permissions, assuming Apply To settings are correct.

Thanks for the response!

#1. This is as it should be, it says applies to folders, subfolders and files.

#2. The files get downloaded directly into the shared folder. Also, we are doing things the same way we have been. This just started happening a few weeks ago.

Edit: Keeping my fingers crossed, but it looks like Firefox may have been the problem - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/975586

I downgraded to 25 and it seems to be working ok. We shall see.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Hello,

Very specific question here. Using the built in openVPN server in the latest official firmware for the asus RT-N66u wifi router. I set it up using the basic default settings for openVPN, download the client.ovpn file to my android phone with the openvpn app installed, load the app, import the opvn client file and enter the user name and password. Then it prompts for a certificate file. I tried exporting the cert from the asus openvpn page using copy and paste but it doesnt seem to be working. Any ideas? The gui says the ovpn file will include the cert. Can't seem to find any info for the official openvpn server from asus just third party firmwares that add it separately.

Thanks