Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

achillesforever6 posted:

Also wasn't the whole "Stand up for the WWE" ads basically just "vote for Linda" ads and kind of illegal in a sense?

Not sure about legality (American election laws are not my forte) but it is shady and scumbag as hell because it was "Help Linda's campaign!" but without actually telling people that because it was framed as "The media is trashing WWE so tell them to stop!". It was part of WWE's intention to distance themselves from Linda's campaign by having their fans indirectly stop the association.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
My understanding is that since they didn't explicitly tell anyone to vote for her or even mention her by name it's kosher. Sleazy as all hell, sure, but that's politics (and wrestling).

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Justin Godscock posted:

Not sure about legality (American election laws are not my forte) but it is shady and scumbag as hell because it was "Help Linda's campaign!" but without actually telling people that because it was framed as "The media is trashing WWE so tell them to stop!". It was part of WWE's intention to distance themselves from Linda's campaign by having their fans indirectly stop the association.

Carnies bend laws to get more money out of their customers? I can't believe it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WWE's plan to give out merchandise at polling places was very illegal.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

WWE's plan to give out merchandise at polling places was very illegal.

They also implored fans to proudly wear WWE T-shirts and hats to polling places on Election Day.

Another sleazy thing they did regarded the guy that sued WWE in the early 90s and set off the whole sex scandal (not to be confused with the steroid scandal a few years later) that resulted in the resigning of several employees, including Pat Patterson and Terry Garvin. WWE settled out of court and the guy (he was a kid when it first happened) trashed them for years afterward. Then, during Linda's first or second campaign, he suddenly came out in support of the McMahons and WWE in general. Gushing about how amazing they are and how wonderful of a company it is, and that he'd be voting for Linda in November. Obviously they found the right price to buy his endorsement.

Then there's the matter of debts and taxes Linda had let slide for decades until it was pointed out in the media that she had done so. Of course, only then did she pay it all back while yammering about fiscal responsibility

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Cardboard Box posted:

I don't see a problem with people using wrestling terms when describing things that are related to wrestling. Austin is a wrestler. Dave Meltzer is a wrestling journalist. it's fine.

also, referring to your second example there, pushing isn't strictly a wrestling term. marketers push products.

It's incredibly stupid to use Wrestling Insider Lingo to describe non-wrestling concepts like "Steve Austin was happy to see his friend" or "Batista was a jerk once", and the only reason people posting on this forum/the rumor sites do it is so they can pretend that they, too, are wrestling insiders.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I really want to see that video with this audio.

"Parkour! Parkour!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

It's incredibly stupid to use Wrestling Insider Lingo to describe non-wrestling concepts like "Steve Austin was happy to see his friend" or "Batista was a jerk once", and the only reason people posting on this forum/the rumor sites do it is so they can pretend that they, too, are wrestling insiders.

Who cares? There's a good chance Steve Austin would describe the encounter the same way. I am sure triplexpac wanted to make sure everyone knew they are a WRESTLING INSIDER by using the term pop.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

- Top Bunk Wanker cut a heel promo on PSP posters, running down "wrestleman lingo".

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I find the wrestling bubble hilarious. I'll never not laugh at Bryan Alvarez describing a normal conversation between people as one guy "shooting" on the other.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

On the other hand, pointing things out like that is just a thinly veiled attempt by you to feel superior to those around you. It in no way contributes to the topic and makes you out to be an insufferable douche when you could have simply ignored it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

cunny mcalister posted:

On the other hand, pointing things out like that is just a thinly veiled attempt by you to feel superior to those around you. It in no way contributes to the topic and makes you out to be an insufferable douche when you could have simply ignored it.

This is a shoot!

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

cunny mcalister posted:

Can anyone else taste the irony? (I realize the irony of my own post)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Snacksmaniac posted:

This is a shoot!

Snacksmaniac's got the scoops, brother!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
My name is Halloween...Hogan!

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

Paulocaust posted:

Can anyone else taste the irony? (I realize the irony of my own post)

You can't taste irony! I hate it when people use words in different ways and you're an idiot for doing it! - TBW

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Woah guys, stop shooting so hard on each other, I don't care if you have heat with each other but no marks are around, no one's going to be popping for this, and all it's going to do is kill your heat and your push, you're gonna wind up in the doghouse for sure.

Gorilla Position.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
If you guys don't stop turning heel on each other I'm going to have to get the mods to do a run-in on this thread

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stop breaking kayfabe.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

triplexpac posted:

If you guys don't stop turning heel on each other I'm going to have to get the mods to do a run-in on this thread

I hear fatherdog is a hooker.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wrestlehut 2K is still real to me damnnit!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
The nuclear heat TBW is getting is unreal.

Five star thread, which you rarely see outside of Japanese forums.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

I hear fatherdog is a hooker.

I never charge.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
I'm going to Mick Foley's "Tales of Wrestling PAst" show at The Stress Factory in New Brunswick, NJ tomorrow. Has anyone here been to a show-- if so, is it more like a story telling thing or a stand up routine? Does he typically do a meet and greet afterwards?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Does anyone know what match Daniel Bryan did that ridiculous tie the knot/Lady of the Lake spot where his opponent just rolled him around for like a minute? I saw a gif of it today but I couldn't find a vid.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

SirDippingSauce posted:

I'm going to Mick Foley's "Tales of Wrestling PAst" show at The Stress Factory in New Brunswick, NJ tomorrow. Has anyone here been to a show-- if so, is it more like a story telling thing or a stand up routine? Does he typically do a meet and greet afterwards?

I went to a Foley standup show a couple years back. It was definitely more of a story telling thing. And yes he did a meet & greet afterwards, I didn't stick around for that though

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Does anyone know what match Daniel Bryan did that ridiculous tie the knot/Lady of the Lake spot where his opponent just rolled him around for like a minute? I saw a gif of it today but I couldn't find a vid.
That was against Tyson Kidd on Saturday Morning Slam.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Snacksmaniac posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xujf9s_tyson-kidd-vs-daniel-bryan-saturday-morning-slam-10-20-12_sport

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SirDippingSauce posted:

Definitely storytelling, and he does do meet and greet. It wasn't a bad show, but I don't recall him saying anything that wasn't already in Have a Nice Day! or Foley is Good.

Also, he really is a genuinely broken-down mess. There were one or two moments where he completely lost where he was in telling a story and he started to tell the same one twice. So just be prepared that he is not a man in good physical health.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
How terrible was Jackson Andrews? Wikipedia lists him at 7'1 320 so he fits the monster build they love.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Timby posted:

Definitely storytelling, and he does do meet and greet. It wasn't a bad show, but I don't recall him saying anything that wasn't already in Have a Nice Day! or Foley is Good.

Yeah, it was cool to see Foley in person, but it was more or less like hearing an audio version of his book. Which is fine, I mean what else do you expect from the guy? But it's not something I'd need to see again.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

personally the last thing that I care about being is part of the "internet wrestling community" or feeling like an insider so your argument is flawed in a lot of ways

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 15, 2014

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Man Saturday Morning Slam was surprisingly good. Remember when Sheamus and Curtis Axel did a Criss-Cross spot where Sheamus just slipped out and Axel just kept running, even when he turned his head to see Sheamus standing by the commentary desk, sipping on a water bottle.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Man Saturday Morning Slam was surprisingly good. Remember when Sheamus and Curtis Axel did a Criss-Cross spot where Sheamus just slipped out and Axel just kept running, even when he turned his head to see Sheamus standing by the commentary desk, sipping on a water bottle.

After Mike McG finally stopped he looked so betrayed. It was like a microcosm of his future career as Curtis Axel.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Oh yeah, good times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0vxPCCXjG4
"What are you doing? This is supposed to be serious! I'm a serious wrestler"

Also, who can forget Daniel Bryan's passionate commentary about BEARS?

Man, SMS not getting another season is still so sad, that show was just pure entertainment.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Who would you say are the most universally loved wrestlers by PSP?
Are Daniel Bryan and Andre the Giant the only ones?

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
One of my favorite pictures of the Linda campaign:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Germansimp posted:

Oh yeah, good times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0vxPCCXjG4
"What are you doing? This is supposed to be serious! I'm a serious wrestler"

Also, who can forget Daniel Bryan's passionate commentary about BEARS?

Man, SMS not getting another season is still so sad, that show was just pure entertainment.

I've heard when WWE renegotiates TV fees that Saturday Morning Slam is to be renewed as part of any deal as well.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

MisterGBH posted:

Who would you say are the most universally loved wrestlers by PSP?
Are Daniel Bryan and Andre the Giant the only ones?

Steamboat's probably up there as well. Heck, everybody loves Steamboat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I imagine pretty much everyone likes Foley too.