Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

:(

I hope he got some pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
My friend has a dog who is like 8 and still has his balls and if he gets excited he leaks everywhere.

P gross.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My old roommate takes it as a matter of pride that he's never getting his Bassett snipped. drat dog won't ever listen and if you let him outside he just wanders off sniffing and peeing on everything and won't come back till you go get him. Roomie insists that's just how the breed is, but I wonder.

Bassetts also stink to high heaven unless you wash them religiously, which he doesn't.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Yeah but look at dem eyes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Snowdens Secret posted:

My old roommate takes it as a matter of pride that he's never getting his Bassett snipped. drat dog won't ever listen and if you let him outside he just wanders off sniffing and peeing on everything and won't come back till you go get him. Roomie insists that's just how the breed is, but I wonder.

Any dog, snipped or non-snipped, can be made to obey via constant training and discipline, but actually taking responsibility for your animal is a bridge too far for most people.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

How's he doing? When we picked up Logan there was a yellow lab pup that got snipped at the same time...he was happy and jumping and looked like nothing had happened. Logan was mopey, sad, sore, and occasionally crying until the next day, when he was happy and ballistic again...then chewed off the goddamn cone.

Speaking of...I started a job on Monday, and it's too cold to leave Logan outside. We've got a spare bedroom in the basement, where we've left him before if we were gonna be gone too long to trust him roaming the house. Throw a tarp over most of the carpet, leave food/water/toys, all is good. Well, it sure as gently caress didn't work out that way this time.

Then there was this...fortunately we were planning on ripping the carpet out of here already, but goddamnit it not yet!

From the moment I walked in the house, he was guilty as gently caress: ears flat, slinking low to the ground, following me around. Well, when I came out of the room, this was waiting around the corner.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He's doing fine. Napped a bit when we got home. He's whining right now. Tried cone free for a while but he wouldn't stop licking. He's already poo poo twice, though, which is odd because I've never known of anyone human or dog to poo poo after anesthesia like he has.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

How's he doing? When we picked up Logan there was a yellow lab pup that got snipped at the same time...he was happy and jumping and looked like nothing had happened. Logan was mopey, sad, sore, and occasionally crying until the next day, when he was happy and ballistic again...then chewed off the goddamn cone.

Speaking of...I started a job on Monday, and it's too cold to leave Logan outside. We've got a spare bedroom in the basement, where we've left him before if we were gonna be gone too long to trust him roaming the house. Throw a tarp over most of the carpet, leave food/water/toys, all is good. Well, it sure as gently caress didn't work out that way this time.

Then there was this...fortunately we were planning on ripping the carpet out of here already, but goddamnit it not yet!

From the moment I walked in the house, he was guilty as gently caress: ears flat, slinking low to the ground, following me around. Well, when I came out of the room, this was waiting around the corner.

This is why we crate our dogs when we're not around. It's worked really well for us.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Snowdens Secret posted:

Bassetts also stink to high heaven unless you wash them religiously, which he doesn't.

Basset Hounds....are stubborn to say the least and will just follow their noise if not watched. They require a bit more work to train (with food) it just take more effort than say a lab.

Finally glad to see a Basset Hound in the Puppy Bowl

http://www.nbcnews.com/slideshow/topics/the-2014-puppy-bowl-lineup-54031803/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is why we crate our dogs when we're not around. It's worked really well for us.

Exactly. I had a dog with anxiety issues that would do that same type of poo poo in the past. It's part of why the day I brought Dakota home he was comfortably introduced to his kennel and it's been his bed/home ever since. None of my house is chewed up, none of my yard is chewed up, and he's got a dark little den he can go chill in whenever he wants to get away.

I've tried to let him roam without the cone both yesterday and today, but he is stubborn as gently caress about licking so he's still coning it up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Frank doesn't gently caress anything of mine up. It's strange, this is the first dog I've had that didn't need to be told no every five minutes for something. I'll leave him with the cats, all sorts of poo poo laying around, the most he plays with is my socks. He has rawhide and busy bones "buried" under blankets and pillows, stuffed animals that he's working on ripping the gently caress up, I've even caught him playing ball with the fat clawed cat for a few minutes (they were just rolling it back and forth to each other maybe 2-3 feet apart). He has a crate, and he's comfortable in it. I've only used it as punishment a handful of times, when he was eating cat poo poo from the litter box.

Anyhow, I've left him for 3 hour stretches at the house, and not a thing will be hosed up when I get home. Oh, wait, no, he's slowly scratching up the cheap gently caress coffee table I bought before I got married. No big deal.

Once this cold weather bullshit ends I need to get to work on doggie back yard play ground stuff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dakota is doing better this afternoon without the collar. He was chasing a little ball around with me before I came back to class. He's chillin with my roommate now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Our mutt is also pretty much always on her best behavior. The only thing she doesn't like is getting off the couch to get walked (can't blame the drat thing, it's like -15C now). At the very start she would growl/nip if you got close to her food/bone, but we've worked that out.

Now she'll nibble on my hand when she thinks I'm hiding a treat but in the gentlest way possible, so it's just really funny to see how long we can lead her on.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
The only eating/chewing related thing Scuda does is eat cat poo poo and litter out of the box. We solved that problem by putting a baby gate up in our bedroom door so she can't get through and to the bathroom where the litter box sits. She also loves her giant velociraptor cage and curls right up in it when I tell her to "go to bed."

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
That is some hard core criticism of your dog food though.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Ha. We give her Taste of the Wild, which is the cheapest grain-free brand I could find. She loves it, and so does the little rat that came along with my wife. The rat also used to itch a lot but now that she eats that food and gets 1 fish oil pill a day she had no more skin problems.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
So basically gently caress cats.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Cole posted:

So basically gently caress cats.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCRDskZrUMU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

quote:

Don't let your child do this... Maybe the dog has an abscess, A piece of bone in his mouth, an eye problem that causes him to fear what is happening. As much as we want our pets to act like a human, a dog is still a dog. Don't put your beloved pet in a position to fail.
Please, you guys. Don't have kids.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I used to take my Great Dane to the children's hospital and kids would grab both ears and pick their feet off the ground. Little dudes would be swinging and he would just look at me and be like "really?".

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Time posted:

I used to take my Great Dane to the children's hospital and kids would grab both ears and pick their feet off the ground. Little dudes would be swinging and he would just look at me and be like "really?".

My Dane was sleeping on her ottoman a couple years back and my four year old cousin always got a kick out of the fact that she loves to be covered with blankets. One day I looked at my cousin and said "Why don't you tell her a story so she can fall asleep?"

So he lifted her ear and started whispering a story to her. I didn't catch what it was about, but it definitely wasn't gibberish. When he finished, he covered her up and walked away.

:3:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My nephew loves to climb all over Mousse. When he pulls his tail he has to go to time out and then apologize to the poor dog. Fortunately Mousse is the most patient, tolerant dog in the world. I don't think I've ever seen even nip at people, except maybe when playing.

I took him to the dog wash today, and he was scared to death of a) slippery tile floors b) the step ladder to get into the tub c) all the other dogs d) the blow dryer e) pretty much everything. The girls working there love him though. Good dog.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I can't crate him for 10 hours.

Edit: I bought a cheap baby gate and blocked off the basement, closed the bedroom doors, and let him have the run of the upstairs for the past few days. Yesterday was a long day so he did pee next to the back door, but otherwise he's been fine.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 17, 2014

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

How do you crate a German Shepherd? Wall of a room of your house in stainless steel?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The biggest one of these works fine.

Edit: It actually does fold down and isn't terribly heavy for its size.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Eh, I know you don't mean ill but a young GSD probably shouldn't be left to his own devices for that long.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

Edit: I bought a cheap baby gate and blocked off the basement, closed the bedroom doors, and let him have the run of the upstairs for the past few days. Yesterday was a long day so he did pee next to the back door, but otherwise he's been fine.

Yeah 10 hours is a bit much. Both of our dogs are three and our limit is 9 hours. We also try and get them two walks every day to get them out and about, and they play with each other outdoors a lot as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you consistently have to be away for 9-10 hours a day, perhaps a mid day dog walker or even doggy day care is a better option. It will save your house and it's good for the dog.

I'm dog sitting right now Dakota's best friend Eddy. I can't let them get too rowdy, but they're having a good time.

EDIT: Action shot from this morning's walk.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 17, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Finally they crashed out.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Finally they crashed out.

:3:

Dakota is getting so long.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He is absolutely a long dog.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
i just saw a Pitbull/Basset Hound mix

it was basically a lowrider pitbull with big floppy ears and owned pretty hard

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
If you don't follow Fukuchan on the internet you are wrong:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z0RHnvkpuE

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you consistently have to be away for 9-10 hours a day, perhaps a mid day dog walker or even doggy day care is a better option. It will save your house and it's good for the dog.

I live in the sticks, so there's not much out here. It's usually not that long, only a couple of days every other week. But he's been fine since we've given him back the run of the upstairs. I'm positive he was just freaking out about being trapped in that room. I actually think it was probably because he didn't want to pee inside.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ya our dog's only freak out was when we trapped her in a single room because we didn't know trained she was when we got her and didn't want her to pee all over e house.

Turned out she was completely disciplined, and super happy once she had the run of the flat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Went to a corgi party today with Eddy and Dakota. Pics to follow. Didn't get video because it would have been impossible.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Alright - corgi party pics! It was in a very large backyard and they were all over, so it was hard to get pics of everyone together. There were 6 new puppies, one of dakota's littler mates, a handful of older corgis, Eddy, and a couple of doxen. One of the older corgis has hip issues so has a walking cart and is named tank. Tank has a tank license plate. Tank owns.

Tank's owner and a few other dogs

Tank solo shots

Tank and a group.

Dakota, Eddy, and I

Some of the puppies, the breeder on the right, and the new owner of one

Two new owners and puppies

Puppies and baskets

Puppies on the porch

More puppy shots

Breeder and a couple of puppies

Big group shot

Dakota, Eddy, and some lady

Corgicentipede

This was the first attempt at the corgipede, but they broke up before I could snap a shot

This is Bo, Dakota's sister

Dakota, Eddy, and some of the adults

One of the new pups wanted some pets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Nice pics Henry :3: