Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
You guys need to be aiming yourself at dudes on the periphery away from rest of the thug cluster if you want more breathing room between enemy attacks. Or mix in more batswarms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nthman posted:

I am trying the new game plus and it seems like to succeed you get maybe two punches then one counter rinse and repeat in a large group. Its not that im having a hard time but it isnt as fun as the other games.

That isn't true at all though. Especially on NG+ where you have access to all your takedowns. Try evading, using glue grenades, using your various takedowns, activating shock gloves, getting into Freeflow Focus mode and various other things.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 15, 2014

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HenessyHero posted:

You guys need to be aiming yourself at dudes on the periphery away from rest of the thug cluster if you want more breathing room between enemy attacks. Or mix in more batswarms.

Yea even in AC I didn't really get good at the combat until I started actually keeping tabs of where guys were in the arena, i.e. which guys are somewhat isolated and can be taken out without worrying about your back. Very similar to the predator rooms actually, if you pay attention there will always be targets of opportunity that don't stay with the main group.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Ok im not gonna lie, I did forget about using glue grenades but even after using those it still isnt too much different (my experience anyways).

On another note id like to see some sort of bat gas that makes the enemies fight each other in the next Batman game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nthman posted:

Ok im not gonna lie, I did forget about using glue grenades but even after using those it still isnt too much different (my experience anyways).

On another note id like to see some sort of bat gas that makes the enemies fight each other in the next Batman game.

Both the REC and the Concussion Grenade (depending on the game) make enemies swing wildly and hit each other.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Don't stand right in the middle of the entire cluster of dudes. Flip over some guy, punch and counter until your combo hits x5, pop the batswarm stun effect, and by the time the enemies recover you'll be in x12 bullet time freeflow, and you basically never need to counter again.

edit: basically what HenessyHero said.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Basically what it amounts to, and this is kind of the genius of the combat system, is that you have to loving be Batman. Act like Batman. Use your gadgets and abilities, mix them up, and never stop moving.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Playing AO (finished it and now collecting all the bat collectibles), is it me or is Branden really inspired by Vic Mckay from the Shield, except incompetent?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

New Game+ was a blast because I'd unlocked everything (apart from stuff you had to wait to get in the actual story, which from memory wasn't a limitation in City) AND I was now familiar enough with the combat that I could just go crazy doing insane poo poo on the giant groups of enemies that Origins has.

Also, nothing beats doing a properly timed dive on that first big bridge fight - the type where you catch and throw your targeted thug. If you get the timing and direction right, you can basically take out 95% of the entire fight with ONE move, and it is incredibly satisfying.

Edit: Actually I can't remember, but that big bridge fight might only be available in I Am The Night mode?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 15, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kurtofan posted:

Playing AO (finished it and now collecting all the bat collectibles), is it me or is Branden really inspired by Vic Mckay from the Shield, except incompetent?

He's not really incompetent. He's just up against Batman. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Kurtofan posted:

Considering they just straight up lifted his character from Batman: Year One, no, no he isn't.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MrJacobs posted:

You aren't. You are fighting more aggressive thugs and have counter timing closer to sleeping dogs which forces you to using proper timing in combos rather than just hit counter and use the HUGE window like in AA and AC. I never had a problem with it, but that's because I just finished Year of the Snake before trying the game :shrug:

As a reminder, some players are finding combat in AO is downright glitchy in terms of counter and combat windows. Windows are inconsistent, or counters or other actions appear to be ignored by enemy AI. Several moves are completely unsafe because they can be interrupted by normal enemy attacks, meaning they can only be performed when all other enemies are stunned- otherwise, enemies will "gumby" (teleport or slide) into a position to hit you when they would normally be out of range.

I get that you're good at the game. You are also not experiencing the same gameplay others in the thread are.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Anyone else use the multi-batarang take down to take out the whole room of thugs at once in the electric chair fight against bane when he stomps the ground and knocks everyone to the ground.

Shnag fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 16, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

As a reminder, some players are finding combat in AO is downright glitchy in terms of counter and combat windows. Windows are inconsistent, or counters or other actions appear to be ignored by enemy AI. Several moves are completely unsafe because they can be interrupted by normal enemy attacks, meaning they can only be performed when all other enemies are stunned- otherwise, enemies will "gumby" (teleport or slide) into a position to hit you when they would normally be out of range.

I get that you're good at the game. You are also not experiencing the same gameplay others in the thread are.

I really wish someone would record this behavior because I've never seen it, either in my own game or in videos I've watched, and I'd really like to see examples of it. I don't doubt it exists I just really want to see it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Shnag posted:

Anyone else the multi-batarang take down to take out the whole room of thugs at once in the electric chair fight against bane when he stomps the ground and knocks everyone to the ground.

No, but I did use it in Arkham City where he did the same thing in the fight with the TYGER Guards/random goons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A general note on combat in AO: any normal strike occurring after a dodge is a guaranteed critical hit. Great for boosting combo or getting a particular Knight challenge.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah it took me far too long to realize just how amazing (and overpowered) the multi-batarang takedown can be.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

A general note on combat in AO: any normal strike occurring after a dodge is a guaranteed critical hit. Great for boosting combo or getting a particular Knight challenge.

That's true for all of the games, if I'm not mistaken.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah it took me far too long to realize just how amazing (and overpowered) the multi-batarang takedown can be.

On the topic of overpowered things, did the Ultra Batclaw never return from Asylum due to how it could takedown three people at once?

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
The ultra claw also made short work of vents. Tapping A can get annoying. Also i tend to quick claw everything rather then manually select and aim. Just cause.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish someone would record this behavior because I've never seen it, either in my own game or in videos I've watched, and I'd really like to see examples of it. I don't doubt it exists I just really want to see it.

Ive seen the gumby slide, but I have seen that in Arkham City too.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Multi-Batarangs are ridiculous, period. They're like free power gadgets.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Jerusalem posted:

Great in story mode, crap in challenge rooms because it's worth gently caress all points. (At least in City; no idea about Origins.)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Discendo Vox posted:

Is this in story/free roam mode? Is this on hard/NG+/IATN?

Because it might be pretty much that anything harder than normal, they slap the "increased aggression" modifier to the entire game. Challenge mode is unaffected unless you are playing with that modifier on. I had been just mindlessly playing combat maps for a while in AO and never found that issue until I started playing the campaigns that featured it and lo and behold, the behaviour everyone had issues with enemies (sliding across to hit you, coming at you very aggressively without much time to breathe, etc.) more or less work the same.

The only actual differences I noticed in AO's combat after running the campaign twice (not even in NG+ yet) and finished the original 108 campaign medals (and at the same while I have been doing challenge maps/campaigns in AC again too):
-counter window is smaller or tighter in general
-there are no invincibility frames during the last part of the ultra stun (whereas in AC you could do it on a titan/lieutenant while someone comes at you mid swing and they would back off) or the animation is much slower
-redirected aerial attacks have extra animations (looks like a ground pound takedown but does not in fact function as a takedown)

So the weirdness with the enemies in combat is an intended effect, just not really advertised. I don't think AC had the same problem, it was probably mostly just more hp/more damage and NG+ having different enemy configurations.

Jerusalem posted:

New Game+ was a blast because I'd unlocked everything (apart from stuff you had to wait to get in the actual story, which from memory wasn't a limitation in City) AND I was now familiar enough with the combat that I could just go crazy doing insane poo poo on the giant groups of enemies that Origins has.

Also, nothing beats doing a properly timed dive on that first big bridge fight - the type where you catch and throw your targeted thug. If you get the timing and direction right, you can basically take out 95% of the entire fight with ONE move, and it is incredibly satisfying.

Edit: Actually I can't remember, but that big bridge fight might only be available in I Am The Night mode?
Haven't touched AO NG+ yet but in AC, you start with all the gadgets, it's just that story progression is still locked so things like the code to disable Freeze's gun or the TYGER security codes still have to be "re-obtained" but I definitely remember being able to cheese the Museum shark area with the line launcher in NG+ (whereas they don't give them to you until you finish the museum in regular story progression).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So I did finally encounter a bug. I just beat four thugs, one firearm, one knife, I performed abysmally, got hit four times, reached a combo of like 12 tops, and it somehow unlocked the final Shadow Vigilante challenge. I feel like batman is condescending to me.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Mzbundifund posted:

So I did finally encounter a bug. I just beat four thugs, one firearm, one knife, I performed abysmally, got hit four times, reached a combo of like 12 tops, and it somehow unlocked the final Shadow Vigilante challenge. I feel like batman is condescending to me.

Yeah, I had weird successes with all the tracks. The final Shadow Vigilante challenge unlocked easily, and one of the later Worst Nightmare challenges to do 5 different takedowns in an extreme encounter or something unlocked after a predator section while doing a silent takedown on a random mook. The final Gotham Protector challenge, stopping a crime in progress in every district, was weird too. The last district I needed was Sheldon Park, the area around wonder tower. I solved a crime that was definitely in the Industrial District, but it still counted.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sober posted:

Is this in story/free roam mode? Is this on hard/NG+/IATN?

Because it might be pretty much that anything harder than normal, they slap the "increased aggression" modifier to the entire game. Challenge mode is unaffected unless you are playing with that modifier on. I had been just mindlessly playing combat maps for a while in AO and never found that issue until I started playing the campaigns that featured it and lo and behold, the behaviour everyone had issues with enemies (sliding across to hit you, coming at you very aggressively without much time to breathe, etc.) more or less work the same.

It's not difficulty setting related, but it also doesn't appear in challenge maps. The theory I proposed before was that something in buffering or loading the open environment was causing the effect, or that space/memory budgeting on some systems made the developers implement a shortcut on hit detection in graphically intensive areas(my system is at the lower bound of those that can run the game). I've personally never observed it in any indoor area or location that loads separately(like the rooftop fight at the hotel).

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's true for all of the games, if I'm not mistaken.

That's interesting, I wonder if it's by design.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's not difficulty setting related, but it also doesn't appear in challenge maps. The theory I proposed before was that something in buffering or loading the open environment was causing the effect, or that space/memory budgeting on some systems made the developers implement a shortcut on hit detection in graphically intensive areas(my system is at the lower bound of those that can run the game). I've personally never observed it in any indoor area or location that loads separately(like the rooftop fight at the hotel).
Well, dunno then. But as I said, in challenge maps, it's never an issue unless you turn that modifier on for a combat challenge, and then the same "issues" or "features" that usually show up in story mode but not challenge mode appear. I doubt it's a hardware issue or anything seeing as combat maps never carry on like in story mode unless that has been turned on in my observations.

Discendo Vox posted:

That's interesting, I wonder if it's by design.
Probably because when it checks to see if it should score a critical, it checks to see if you are mashing strike from your previous attack; since you aren't and just came out of a dodge, it makes sense.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Does anyone know how the combat actually works in the Arkham games? Like, when you get into combat are you fighting a whole bunch of individual dudes with health bars, or is it one contiguous mass of health with a dozen bodies that fall over at opportune moments, or do goons recover health if they've not been punched in a while, or what?

Whenever you fight one or two people they always go down in about three hits, whereas if there's tons of goons involved then, well, they don't.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

You aren't. You are fighting more aggressive thugs and have counter timing closer to sleeping dogs which forces you to using proper timing in combos rather than just hit counter and use the HUGE window like in AA and AC. I never had a problem with it, but that's because I just finished Year of the Snake before trying the game :shrug:

No, I have found the combat to be very fickle. Registering my counter seems to be somewhat unreliable and sometimes animations cause a lot of problems. I do find it funny when I am clearly out of range of their attack but, to compensate, their animation carries them a ridiculously long ways across the screen or even changes their direction mid air.

quote:

Does anyone know how the combat actually works in the Arkham games? Like, when you get into combat are you fighting a whole bunch of individual dudes with health bars, or is it one contiguous mass of health with a dozen bodies that fall over at opportune moments, or do goons recover health if they've not been punched in a while, or what?

Whenever you fight one or two people they always go down in about three hits, whereas if there's tons of goons involved then, well, they don't.

If you are fighting a different tier they are usually harder/easier. I have never encountered the same tier of enemy going down any slower or faster if I am using the same set of attacks on them. They are all individual characters which is why you can take one down and leave everyone else up. Nothing is based on how many you are fighting.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Penguingo posted:

They seem to have individual health bars, although it's not easy to keep track of individual guys the way they swarm around. Killing an armored thug with a beatdown takes 20-25 hits, but if you get interrupted and restart the beatdown later he goes down faster. I think with more goons it's just harder for individual goons to happen to be the ones to soak up a lot of hits in a row, so it gives the appearance of a communal health pool. Also the last goon in a fight always dies in one hit, since it's so easy for Batman to stun lock an individual guy the game just cuts to the chase and puts him on the ground.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

blackguy32 posted:

I still like the conversation you get when you go to the church at the very beginning of the game in Arkham City. You are supposed to grapple up after dropping a smoke, but if you wait a while, the goons start having a debate about what to do before they finally eventually shoot you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPe7wmaCBo

I'd always wait for the exact moment he says something like "what do you think he'll do, drop a smoke bomb and escape?" and then do just that.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Got all the single player achievements in Arkham Origins...

...is what I would be saying if a bug wasn't keeping one of the campaigns from being unlocked. It's on the bottom row, second from the left. It should be the one with three non-extreme predator maps. I'm also missing two concept art pieces and three character trophies.

The part of me that needs to get every achievement in these games is hoping they don't patch the Initiation achievements onto the Steam version.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 18, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there an issue with Arkham City starting up? Last three times I've tried playing, it's hard locked while the 360 tries loading it. Shutting the system off and restarting it makes it work, but it's getting annoying. The disc is fine, and other games aren't giving me the problem, it's only City doing it, so I don't think it's the system itself.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

ChibiSoma posted:

Is there an issue with Arkham City starting up? Last three times I've tried playing, it's hard locked while the 360 tries loading it. Shutting the system off and restarting it makes it work, but it's getting annoying. The disc is fine, and other games aren't giving me the problem, it's only City doing it, so I don't think it's the system itself.

This was always a huge issue for me with Arkham City on 360, most times I'd have to reboot multiple times before I finally got to the main menu. Thankfully that's the only major issue I had with the game, it never froze on me during actual gameplay or any other point past those pre-menu logos.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What do I have to do to get Batman to use ground takedowns or combo takedowns without him just stopping and dropping the combo? In the other games he'd just do it, in this one he'll either try to takedown nothing, or just stand still. Also, why does countering some attacks just instantly drop the combo? Maybe it's just that thing Discendo mentioned, but I'll do things like hit a guy carrying something, and Batman will get knocked back anyway. Are some of them fakeouts? As a change I actually like, I like I can just hold back and Y to not get stabbed, I hosed that up constantly in Arkham City.

Also this game is really pretty, even without the DX11 enabled stuff. If it didn't cut the framerate in half I'd run it on DX11 just to stare at Batman's cape. :allears:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 18, 2014

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

As a change I actually like, I like I can just hold back and Y to not get stabbed, I hosed that up constantly in Arkham City.

You could also do that in arkham city.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Okay thugs are punching in the wrong direction and Batman's still getting hit, what the hell. He won't counter regular guys half the time reliably either, he starts the animation then gets hit regardless. In addition, guys that are stunned just occasionally pass out, so Batman will go for them, but they stop being valid targets, and it drops it from that too. God drat it this A rank on a high threat thing is going to suck. I hate that I have to do all of these in order. :(

ConorT posted:

I could? I guess I've just forgotten then, haven't played it in a while.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 18, 2014

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I could? I guess I've just forgotten then, haven't played it in a while.

Yeah, as soon as you meet knife-wielders in AC batman knows how to do the safer hold-back-and-Y and the dicier tap-and-release thing that I would always screw up. In AO they made the tap-and-release thing an upgrade for some reason.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ConorT posted:

I don't know about that. Knife takedowns seem way easier and more forgiving in this game. Maybe I've just gotten better with them

RBA Starblade posted:

ground takedowns or combo takedowns are broken

Most of the people posting this issue seem to playing on PC. I never had a problem with any of the moves beyond remembering what button combo did what (Oh, poo poo, no. Not a batswarm, dammit), although the counter window does seem a bit tighter than it used to be. Makes sense though (Batman's just starting out/hasn't mastered his skills/people bitched about combat being too easy).

I just finished the story and, man, that seemed rather abrupt for some reason even though, as others have said, the story element of Origins is probably the best of the trilogy. Maybe it's because my % meter kept telling me 35% and 45% so I assumed I had a ways to go, but I guess that refers for the overall game and not the story.

Having completed the story, what do I have to do to unlock the blacked out villains and some of the moves and gadgets that are locked? Can I go out and gently caress around in the City to look for collectibles and poo poo without loving myself over? I'd try NG+ but I suck without counter icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

ConorT posted:

Yeah, as soon as you meet knife-wielders in AC batman knows how to do the safer hold-back-and-Y and the dicier tap-and-release thing that I would always screw up. In AO they made the tap-and-release thing an upgrade for some reason.

The Knife Dodge Takedown was an upgrade in City, too, I think. It's one of my favorite moves, actually, because the timing is pretty easy to get used to as long as you watch the guy's arm, and in the challenge room it has the highest multiplier, even higher than Ground Takedowns, and you can't be knocked out of it. I especially like when armored guys grab a knife and start swinging, because it's an insta-takedown on anyone.

The ninjas are a little trickier, because they have four swings at you instead of three, but just paying attention to the target works with them, too.

BiggerBoat posted:

Having completed the story, what do I have to do to unlock the blacked out villains and some of the moves and gadgets that are locked? Can I go out and gently caress around in the City to look for collectibles and poo poo without loving myself over? I'd try NG+ but I suck without counter icons.

Do you mean the Most Wanted missions or Shiva and Deadshot? You face Shiva by completing her request from when you completed the bank and going to the lobby area in Wonder Park afterward, and Deadshot's predator sequence is unlocked by doing a crime scene analysis from an SOS call in New Gotham and going to the bank afterwards.

And yes, you can look for collectables everywhere in the city, because nowhere you can't go anymore (Blackgate, the top of the Royal Hotel, etc.) have Data Packs or anything you need. The only thing you're really locked out in the post-game is the Worst Nightmare predator challenges for the most part, since there are no more real predator sequences after the Nexus in Blackgate.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 18, 2014

• Locked thread