Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Shbobdb posted:

If this technique works like other forms of slow-cooking, that sounds like it was suet. That's the good stuff.

I don't think it was suet - it was the wrong color (a bit too saturated) and much more filmy - looked like bacterial growth. Anyway, better safe than sorry - no need to spend a day with food poisoning over 8 dollars worth of short ribs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Anyone have any experience/recipes for a good pork ballotine/galantine using a puddle machine? I've recently come into possession of a large quantity of 80% lean ground pork and the idea of meatloaf/balls/porkburgers seems boring and less interesting than making puddled force meat.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
I think I want to do this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/10/sous-vide-pork-belly-bun-pork-braise-mayonnaise-quick-pickled-cucumbers-recipe.html?ref=search

In the comments, Kenji says skin on, but it doesn't say in the recipe whether the skin is removed before puddling. I've had some weird experiences with belly skin and puddling, so: skin on or off?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Anyone have any experience/recipes for a good pork ballotine/galantine using a puddle machine? I've recently come into possession of a large quantity of 80% lean ground pork and the idea of meatloaf/balls/porkburgers seems boring and less interesting than making puddled force meat.

I think you can take any existing meatroll recipe and instead of throwing it in the oven you just throw it in water.

Are you wrapping the ground pork in more pork?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

YEAH DOG posted:

I think I want to do this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/10/sous-vide-pork-belly-bun-pork-braise-mayonnaise-quick-pickled-cucumbers-recipe.html?ref=search

In the comments, Kenji says skin on, but it doesn't say in the recipe whether the skin is removed before puddling. I've had some weird experiences with belly skin and puddling, so: skin on or off?

I would assume the recipe intends for the skins to stay on. The recipe says to cook at 170°F which is relatively high. Try it and if you still don't like it then remove them before serving I guess?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I have a super market corned beef. Do I want to sous vide it? Internet shows mixed opinions.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

geetee posted:

I have a super market corned beef. Do I want to sous vide it? Internet shows mixed opinions.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html?ref=search

Kenji makes a very convincing and thorough case for sous vide in this case, with lots of photos and examples (skip down to the Cooking section)

dinosaurtrauma
Aug 13, 2006
why is my dinosaur so traumatic?
Soooo, I just unboxed a brand new Polyscience Sous Vide Professional, Creative Series. Mounted it on a pot, filled pot with water to a little above the minimum water line, plugged it in, flipped the switch. Nothing. Display shows nothing, no indication that anything at all was on. Is there something painfully obvious that I am missing here or do I need to call Polyscience and start yelling for a trade-in?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

dinosaurtrauma posted:

Soooo, I just unboxed a brand new Polyscience Sous Vide Professional, Creative Series. Mounted it on a pot, filled pot with water to a little above the minimum water line, plugged it in, flipped the switch. Nothing. Display shows nothing, no indication that anything at all was on. Is there something painfully obvious that I am missing here or do I need to call Polyscience and start yelling for a trade-in?

Consider it a blessing and a sign to return it and buy an Anova for half the price.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Make sure the electrics on the outlet are good, I discovered one of my outlets had bad ground when the anova didn't work on it.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

geetee posted:

Consider it a blessing and a sign to return it and buy an Anova for half the price.

This is a pretty good idea if you got the creative, they spec out about the same and the Anova is smaller and cheaper.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Anyone have any tried and tested puddle recipes for pulled pork? I've done this sousvidesupreme blog recipe before, but it turned out slightly dry and overcooked, even at 18 hours (recipe suggests 80*C for 18-24 hours). It went down well with the audience (my drunk friends at new years), but I wasn't super happy with it. So any alternatives would be appreciated.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm trying boneless pork ribs right now - 179 degrees, and I'm planning to leave them for maybe 8 hours, then cool them in their own liquid so they'll re-absorb some of it. I'm hoping for a tender, pulled sort of result.

179 seems like near the limit of the submerge in a ziplock method of vacuum sealing - the little bit of air left in the bags expanded quite a bit at that temp, and I had to sort of burp them and reseal. Maybe investing in a real vacuum bagger would be worthwhile after all.

EDIT: Blargh, one of the bones (the pork ribs weren't quite boneless) punctured one of my bags, and now I'm vizzling in 179 degree pork broth. Cleanup is going to be a pain.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 13, 2014

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

a foolish pianist posted:

I'm trying boneless pork ribs right now - 179 degrees, and I'm planning to leave them for maybe 8 hours, then cool them in their own liquid so they'll re-absorb some of it. I'm hoping for a tender, pulled sort of result.

179 seems like near the limit of the submerge in a ziplock method of vacuum sealing - the little bit of air left in the bags expanded quite a bit at that temp, and I had to sort of burp them and reseal. Maybe investing in a real vacuum bagger would be worthwhile after all.

Why so hot, I have a brisket that I was going to do this weekend and have shredded beef and some sliced and was only planning on doing 145-150F/48hrs. At those temps the meat still looks "done", no red, and is nice and juicy. I have seen recipes at 170F+ and am just trying to figure out what that gets me other than maybe dryer meat?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dotster posted:

Why so hot, I have a brisket that I was going to do this weekend and have shredded beef and some sliced and was only planning on doing 145-150F/48hrs. At those temps the meat still looks "done", no red, and is nice and juicy. I have seen recipes at 170F+ and am just trying to figure out what that gets me other than maybe dryer meat?

It gets you meat that has been braised/confited using a very small amount of fat (duck fat is super expensive) or braising liquid. You can't replicate that texture at 145-150F.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

dotster posted:

I went that hot because I wanted all the collagen to turn to gelatin, and I also wanted the cooking time to be fairly short. I just picked the ribs up this morning, and I'm planning to have them for dinner tonight.

Also, the higher temperature helps the muscle separate into bundles of fibers, and that's the texture I really like from pork ribs. Lower temps, and you get a smoother, more solid piece of meat - good for beef (that's how I like short ribs), but not what I'm looking for here.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It gets you meat that has been braised/confited using a very small amount of fat (duck fat is super expensive) or braising liquid. You can't replicate that texture at 145-150F.

Ok, makes sense, I need to run a few batches at higher temp to try it out. I guess I could do it this weekend and save a day cooking.

I went that hot because I wanted all the collagen to turn to gelatin, and I also wanted the cooking time to be fairly short. I just picked the ribs up this morning, and I'm planning to have them for dinner tonight.

Also, the higher temperature helps the muscle separate into bundles of fibers, and that's the texture I really like from pork ribs. Lower temps, and you get a smoother, more solid piece of meat - good for beef (that's how I like short ribs), but not what I'm looking for here.

I am still figuring this stuff out so thanks for the info.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I don't think air bubbles expand very much from room temperature to 180F.

Should be around 20%, if they doubled then your bag is leaking or something in there is making more gas.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It's more like my initially submersion was inadequate. I put three of the ribs in each bag, so there were more little pockets for air. Once they'd been in the circulator for a while, the air all ended up in one place. Thus the 'burping.'

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ok, bags inflating can be a sign that bacteria is working in there which is a bad thing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Chemmy posted:

Ok, bags inflating can be a sign that bacteria is working in there which is a bad thing.

I don't think bacteria could be working all that hard at 179 F.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Safety Dance posted:

I don't think bacteria could be working all that hard at 179 F.

Yup, the bag inflating is just water vapor.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I have a gallon of milk sitting in a sous vide bath (in it's original jug). Going to 180, then getting iced, inoculated, and then set at 110 overnight.

If this works, it's going to be a super easy way to make yogurt. Now to find something to strain a gallon of yogurt easily.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

dotster posted:

Yup, the bag inflating is just water vapor.

That's what this guy says http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Barbecue_Ribs

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I just pulled the trigger on the Anova unit.

One thing I've read is that while slow immersion in a ziploc bag is a reasonable facsimile of vacuum-sealing for short cooks like steaks and such, if I want to do 72-hour short ribs or anything like that I should really get a real vacuum unit.

What's the dividing line between "Ziploc's good enough" and "No, you need a real seal"? 8 hours? Less?

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Phanatic posted:

One thing I've read is that while slow immersion in a ziploc bag is a reasonable facsimile of vacuum-sealing for short cooks like steaks and such, if I want to do 72-hour short ribs or anything like that I should really get a real vacuum unit.

What's the dividing line between "Ziploc's good enough" and "No, you need a real seal"? 8 hours? Less?

I do most of my cooking in Ziplocs and never had a problem with cooking for any times. You might get the odd bag that puffs up if you don't remove enough air from the ziploc (and vegetables are a bitch to cook), but most food turns out fine.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yeah, I've zip-locked for 72 hours before. Ain't no thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This is good to know. The thing holding me back from trying a few things right now is that I don't have a vacuum sealer.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Just an FYI. Costco usually has the top of the line food saver for around 150$ but also usually has a cheaper model for closer to 30-40$.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Phanatic posted:

The only thing I've ever had a bag break (twice) is when I tried to make trotter gear sous-vide.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

So I puddled a peak roast at 160F for 24hrs and the results were ok/average. It was a bit dry, the fat was gelled pretty well and it mostly pulled apart easily, one of the muscles was a bit tough. I went hotter than I normally do trying to see what it would be like based off the conversation about going 170F+ a few days ago. Did I just not go hot enough to have it really fall apart in that amount of time? Any ideas?

I am prepping the brisket tomorrow to cook for this weekend and it is a very nice one so I would rather not screw it up. I was planning on doing 135-140F for 48 hrs but after reading this week I was thinking of going for a more traditional braised and doing 176F for 24 hrs but after this roast I am leaning back towards the lower temp.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
First batch of yogurt separated quite a bit, but I think I added too much starter. Having another try.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone use this?

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-Digital-Thermostat-Control/dp/B00368D6JA/ref=pd_sbs_k_1

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nope, but the reviews are nice enough that I'll add it to the op sometime

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

Nope, but the reviews are nice enough that I'll add it to the op sometime

I'll let you know this weekend, bought one last night should be here tomorrow.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

MrEnigma posted:

First batch of yogurt separated quite a bit, but I think I added too much starter. Having another try.

Did you just use some plain yogurt as a starter? I am interested to hear how it turns out, we run through tubs of yogurt at my house, it might be fun to make some.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

dotster posted:

So I puddled a peak roast at 160F for 24hrs and the results were ok/average. It was a bit dry, the fat was gelled pretty well and it mostly pulled apart easily, one of the muscles was a bit tough. I went hotter than I normally do trying to see what it would be like based off the conversation about going 170F+ a few days ago. Did I just not go hot enough to have it really fall apart in that amount of time? Any ideas?

I am prepping the brisket tomorrow to cook for this weekend and it is a very nice one so I would rather not screw it up. I was planning on doing 135-140F for 48 hrs but after reading this week I was thinking of going for a more traditional braised and doing 176F for 24 hrs but after this roast I am leaning back towards the lower temp.

160 is really just the edge of where collagan hydrolizes into gelatin over shorter time scales. Going a bit hotter would probably have yielded better results. The Potter book, Cooking for Geeks (available for free here: http://hdebooks.blogspot.com/2012/08/cooking-for-geeks-jeff-potter.html), has a section on collagen hydrolysis and temperature that I've found really useful. You'd need to go a really long time at 160 to get all the connective tissue to become really soft.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 16, 2014

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

160 is really just the edge of where collagan hydrolizes into gelatin over shorter time scales. Going a bit hotter would probably have yielded better results. The Potter book, Cooking for Geeks (available for free here: http://hdebooks.blogspot.com/2012/08/cooking-for-geeks-jeff-potter.html), has a section on collagen hydrolysis and temperature that I've found really useful. You'd need to go a really long time at 160 to get all the connective tissue to become really soft.

Thanks for the link, that has some good stuff I think I have seen the title before but never looked at it. I read the section on hydrolized collagen and that makes much more sense, Baldwin's 176F number makes more sense as well. I have a few more roasts in the freezer, I will try another at 176F and see how that turns out.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I got my Anova a little over a week ago and man, this thing is awesome. My first test was a filet which came out really great. Last night's was a flank steak that had been going for about 20 hours at 135:

Really, REALLY good. My next will probably salmon and then I have to try the 72 hour short ribs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Random Hero posted:

I got my Anova a little over a week ago and man, this thing is awesome. My first test was a filet which came out really great. Last night's was a flank steak that had been going for about 20 hours at 135:

Really, REALLY good. My next will probably salmon and then I have to try the 72 hour short ribs.

I would batch the ribs up in multiple bags so you can pull a few and try them at 48 hrs and 60 hrs. At 48 hrs people at my house literally collapsed (had to sit down) when then tried them, 72 hrs was still very good but the texture at 48 was ruled better at my house by the wife and kids.

The more I read about the Anova the more I want to get one of those as well. Having two setups would be really nice when I am doing a 24hr+ cook with my main unit.