Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Cycling talk in the hiking thread: What are your thoughts on hammock camping? I'm going to be taking a bike tour at sea level, which means trees, and I love the idea of swinging in a hammock after a long day's ride. I have a Gibbon slackline hammock that I love for hanging out in the park for a few hours, and strung it up on my balcony when my AC died in a heat wave, but haven't ever done a multi day thing.

I need to get a rain fly, and plan on taking it out to Devil's Lake for a weekend before the trip, but was wondering what other people's experience was like. I'll be in the midwest in early June, so I'm not too concerned about it being colder, which is the most common gripe I tend to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've done both and vastly prefer a tent for anything longer than one or two nights, but that's because I sleep better flat than the diagonal hammock position. The hammock definitely wins in weight/ease/quickness though, so if you can sleep comfortably in one then it should work well.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
If it is cold at all go with a tent. Hammocks suck for retaining heat below, moreso if there is wind. You need a pad to stay warm, which is one of the reasons you got a hammock, to not carry a pad.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If I'm going to be out any longer than a single night I prefer a tent. I've done so bike trekking with my rei quarterdome tent and it was easy enough to fit in my panniers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Funny, I just started posting in the mountain biking thread trying to get their advice. I have a hammock but have not slept overnight in it. I live in an area where you would get eaten alive with bugs. If you find them comfortable and you think the weather would be nice, might as well try it. I'd definitely bring a tarp and rope to make an A-Frame above your hammock though, just in case you end up needing it.

Oh, and someone in the bike thread mentioned these. They seem great for biking and camping.
http://www.oldmanmountain.com/index.html

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

You can always get an underquilt and bug net to help keep your hammock warm and bug-free. I have a hard time sleeping for a whole night in a hammock, but I've seen a lot of happy backpackers with hammocks.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

How many changes of clothes do you all typically bring? I'm going on a trip this weekend with lows in the teens and highs in the low 40's and I feel like I've grossly overpacked.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

None? I usually have a pair of jeans, clean underwear, and a sweatshirt or something in the car in case I stop at a motel for a night, but that's it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Do you guys bring a survival style knife for general hiking/camping? I usually just bring my Kershaw pocket knife for bike camping, but I have a Ka-bar I am thinking about including in my hiking pack. Is that overkill?

Also, since we're talking bikepacking, here's my steed

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 16, 2014

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

me your dad posted:

How many changes of clothes do you all typically bring? I'm going on a trip this weekend with lows in the teens and highs in the low 40's and I feel like I've grossly overpacked.

Backpacking for a weekend? Spare pair of socks and that's about it.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Funny, I just started posting in the mountain biking thread trying to get their advice. I have a hammock but have not slept overnight in it. I live in an area where you would get eaten alive with bugs. If you find them comfortable and you think the weather would be nice, might as well try it. I'd definitely bring a tarp and rope to make an A-Frame above your hammock though, just in case you end up needing it.

Oh, and someone in the bike thread mentioned these. They seem great for biking and camping.
http://www.oldmanmountain.com/index.html

You might want to think about a Hennessey Hammock or a Warbonnet Blackbird:
http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock
http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbird/

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Bottom Liner posted:

Do you guys bring a survival style knife for general hiking/camping? I usually just bring my Kershaw pocket knife for bike camping, but I have a Ka-bar I am thinking about including in my hiking pack. Is that overkill?

Also, since we're talking bikepacking, here's my steed

You're not Rambo. I've literally never used a multitool when I've thought I might, and never wished I had one when I didn't. I have a tiny little knife for cutting... I dunno, things that need to be cut. I've never really used it, even.

e: I take that back, I've used it to split up kindling before.

e2: If you're on a bike, that makes sense to have a thing that can be used to help fix a bike.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 16, 2014

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I carry a tiny leatherman style cs. Anything bigger or heavier is overkill. I mostly use it to trim my nails and open beers.

As for clothes, I've normally got a spare pair of underwear and a spare pair of socks and that's it.

If you need a knife to split kindling you're doing something wrong. Just smash sticks and branches up with your feet, or smash larger pieces of wood against sharp rocks.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Thanks

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

e2: If you're on a bike, that makes sense to have a thing that can be used to help fix a bike.

Oh yeah, I have a full mini toolkit for any bike related needs. I meant on foot, with a 4.5 inch fixed blade knife. I guess it is unnecessary, I just want to learn more bushcraft style skills.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I actually discovered a great way to stay warm in a hammock, Unzip the bottom of your sleeping back and thread your hammock through it. The extra bit of space underneath lets the sleeping bag do its job better than if it was just wrapped around you. I actually sleep in a hammock on the regular, and I'm never cold this way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Beast Pussy posted:

I actually discovered a great way to stay warm in a hammock, Unzip the bottom of your sleeping back and thread your hammock through it. The extra bit of space underneath lets the sleeping bag do its job better than if it was just wrapped around you. I actually sleep in a hammock on the regular, and I'm never cold this way.

That's a pretty great idea, I'm gonna see if my bag and hammock can do this tomorrow.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

That just gave me the About To Go On A Trip rush. ESPECIALLY because that's my (soon to be) bike. How long on the road will that setup take you? Were you camping? Did you have a partner to share the load?

The more I go back and forth, the more I think I'll just use a tent. My friend and I have snuggled more than a couple nights in a quarterdome, so it ain't no thang. Maybe if I find myself with tons of extra pack space, I'll bring it for campsite relaxing.

As far as going by foot: I'm in the "better safe than sorry" camp (pun unintended, but left in.) I've known some people who have gotten in hairy situations in not a lot of time. Cody Lundin's "98.6: the art of keeping your rear end alive" is a great start to building a tiny and practical survival kit that is easy to read, and filled with horrible, corny jokes. Sure, I've almost never used anything in my kit to save my life, but it is there when you need it, and once we found a big rear end salmon stuck on a rock, and my knife provided dinner. I spent my formative years in the woods, and still learned a ton. It's the only survival book I go back to for practical information, and I recommend it to everyone.

http://www.codylundin.com/degrees.html

For clothes: Like everyone else said, underwear and socks. Maybe a set of thermals if you're nervous. You'll find between your tent buddy and the physical exertion you won't need them, but they'll make you feel more confident if you're new and feeling a little shaky. However, I find myself bringing fewer and fewer clothes along with me, even on long treks. It's not like you have to smell good.

Unless you're not at fighting weight, then forget everything I said and rely on your partner(s) to cover your rear end. As the workhorse in my group, I can assure you, they'll understand, and their dick* will feel bigger for doing the extra work.

*Gender assumptions ITT. Some of the toughest trekkers I know are women, and it was a woman who convinced me to take my first tour this summer after she did it, plus Chicago-NYC, plus Seattle-San Fran, plus North Dekota-Chicago. What I'm saying is, never, ever underestimate a woman. She'll probably carry your extra socks for you.

FreakerByTheSpeaker fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 16, 2014

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh yeah, I have a full mini toolkit for any bike related needs. I meant on foot, with a 4.5 inch fixed blade knife. I guess it is unnecessary, I just want to learn more bushcraft style skills.

Yeah, this kinda comes back to what kind of camping you're into. I carry a 4 inch fixed blade with me as a general camp knife, and to play around with some bushcraft.

It's one of those "It Depends" pieces of gear. If you find it useful or enjoyable, it's a good tool to carry. I'm just used to having it there and putting it to use - even if sometimes just as a totem.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I have one of these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=spy..._sm=91&ie=UTF-8

Very light and it's a locking blade that's small but big enough to cut moleskin, do general small knife work, gut a fish, etc

That said I never really end up using it a lot, I just feel it's good to have a knife in case you run into a situation where you need one.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Levitate posted:

I just feel it's good to have a knife in case you run into a situation where you need one.

This. A thousand times this. Especially for those with less experience especially if it will make you more confident, and stop that nagging voice that you're doing something wrong, an couple extra grams won't kill you.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

me your dad posted:

Where are you guys going to go? I think around the beginning of February I'm going to just do an overnight at the Elizabeth Furnace campground to test out cold weather gear, etc (so if we have any problems we have a car full of stuff right there), and assuming that goes well, probably will look into some 2 day backpacking trips in the area

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Hammocks are great but just like a tent you DO need a pad or underquilt, or else you WILL get cold.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

That just gave me the About To Go On A Trip rush. ESPECIALLY because that's my (soon to be) bike. How long on the road will that setup take you? Were you camping? Did you have a partner to share the load?

That setup can easily support me indefinitely, assuming I stop at stores to restock on food. I put camping gear in the back two bags, food in the front right, clothes in the front left, and snacks/camera/phone/nook/personal items in the handlebar bag. I did light tours with just the rear bags before, but all together I now have about 110 liters of space in the bags (plus whatever I want to strap to the rear rack), which is bigger than pretty much any hiking pack. Even including bike specific gear you have enough space to carry any and everything you would need. I bring my tent and hammock on bike trips now, the tent for sleeping and the hammock for relaxing.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 16, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Levitate posted:

Where are you guys going to go? I think around the beginning of February I'm going to just do an overnight at the Elizabeth Furnace campground to test out cold weather gear, etc (so if we have any problems we have a car full of stuff right there), and assuming that goes well, probably will look into some 2 day backpacking trips in the area

Duncan Knob Hollow in the George Washington National Forest.

And thanks to all for clothing advice. This evening I'm taking out a good portion of my clothes, leaving only a couple shirts, a jacket, and socks and underwear. This will provide the space I need for beer :haw:

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces
If you're not in combat, you don't need a combat knife. If you're not hunting (and thereby field dressing game) you don't need a hunting knife. Think about what you're going to be using the knife for. Nine times out of ten, my knife is going to help me slice some cheese, pick out a splinter and maybe cut some accessory cord. This is the biggest knife I carry on a basic hike / backpacking trip - High quality 2oz folding knife with a 2" drop point straight blade. If I am going mountaineering, I'll bring a Leatherman Skeletool multi-tool, so I can fix malfunctioning stoves and snowshoes. If I'm being an uber weight weenie I'll bring a single straight safety razor blade.

Really though, sometimes you want to bring the Rambo knife along to play with. As long as you're honest with yourself that you're bringing it along as a toy and not as a practical tool, it's all good. I mean poo poo, I bring a kite along with me when I do 14ers (I want to fly a kite from the summit of all of em, eventually) and my friends give me a hard time since I am so fussy about pack weight, but sometimes that extra weight helps just make the trip that much more fun.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I usually just bring my medium size leatherman, and if I'm hunting my fixed blade hunting knife. I don't mind packing both at all. I usually end up using the pliers on the leatherman and occasionally the saw even. My hunting knife isn't some super sized rambo knife though. Just a good medium size buck brand knife that I keep super sharp. Makes life so much easier when your dressing game.

Has anyone here done a boundary waters float trip? I'm starting to consider it for summer. I'd like to canoe a bunch obviously but I'd have to get out for a day or two to hike the area as well.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

i_heart_ponies posted:

If you're not in combat, you don't need a combat knife. If you're not hunting (and thereby field dressing game) you don't need a hunting knife. Think about what you're going to be using the knife for. Nine times out of ten, my knife is going to help me slice some cheese, pick out a splinter and maybe cut some accessory cord. This is the biggest knife I carry on a basic hike / backpacking trip - High quality 2oz folding knife with a 2" drop point straight blade. If I am going mountaineering, I'll bring a Leatherman Skeletool multi-tool, so I can fix malfunctioning stoves and snowshoes. If I'm being an uber weight weenie I'll bring a single straight safety razor blade.

On this point, a swiss army knife really is an excellent tool. Two short blades, a couple of accessory tools, and very compact.
I like the ones with scissors & a corkscrew (though a screwdriver is more generally useful, a corkscrew is a lot more fun when you do need it). I even use mine in the kitchen when the can opener can't get a grip.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Has anyone here done a boundary waters float trip? I'm starting to consider it for summer. I'd like to canoe a bunch obviously but I'd have to get out for a day or two to hike the area as well.

Yeah, I've been in the BWCA and Quetico a bunch of times. Any particular questions?

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Beer takes up way too much space. Get some high proof whiskey (or your spirit of choice) and put it in one of those collapsable bags. If you don't want to drink it neat, add some crisp, refreshing mountain water to it, or pour your whatever into your instant coffee or electrolyte powder like gatorade. imho.

For knives, I carry a Mora classic. I don't trust the moving parts to hold for the worst case scenario, plus this thing is durable as gently caress, and I've practiced all my bushcraft, whittling, and even cleaned fish with it (although I take a fillet knife if I know I'm going to fish) and it's still sharp as gently caress. Plus the blade composition/design means you can sharpen it on improvised surfaces if you mess it up in the bush.

Plus, my awesome hardcore Grandpa got it for me since he uses his all the time, and Cody Lundin (art of keeping your rear end alive author who I have a survival boner for) uses it too, turns out. AND! it's cheap as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Classic-Handle-Utility-4-2-Inch/dp/B004D6H1WC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1389915620&sr=8-7&keywords=mora+knife

While I love my Leatherman for when I'm doing stagehand work, I carried it around in the woods for a while when I was younger, I only ever used the knife, and wished the blade was bigger every time, and less finicky for when my fingers would get cold and numb.

Edit: So I don't sound evangelical, the real huge downside is it comes in a cheap as gently caress plastic sheath that I would immediately replace or reinforce. Not a big deal, though since you can even make one simply enough.

FreakerByTheSpeaker fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 17, 2014

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Anyone looking for a knife should spend $15 in a Mora and call it a day.

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.

i_heart_ponies posted:

Really though, sometimes you want to bring the Rambo knife along to play with. As long as you're honest with yourself that you're bringing it along as a toy and not as a practical tool, it's all good.

I agree with this with the big gently caress off Rambo knives. A friend of mine used to insist on carrying a full size Ka-Bar for overnight trips. I always found it a bit silly, but he was the one carrying it and it made him happy, so more power to him. On the other end of the spectrum was the guy with a razor blade with one side covered in duct tape.

That said, once I'm a certain distance from a trailhead/road, I like to carry a small (4-5") fixed blade. It's got a full tang, so it's basically a hunk of metal with a sharpened edge on one side. 90% of the time it does little tasks for me that a folder could do pretty well. I've also used it to help me fashion improvised splints, though. I think it makes a good, basic (if not the most basic) tool, but it takes practice with it and a lot of safety considerations. When my knife's in my pack so is a larger FAK.

me your dad posted:

Duncan Knob Hollow in the George Washington National Forest.

I haven't been up there for years but this is a really cool hike, as I recall. The overlook's beautiful in the fall.

EDIT

Oxford Comma posted:

Anyone looking for a knife should spend $15 in a Mora and call it a day.

Also these are fantastic for the money.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've picked up various knives over the years either as gifts, finding them left at camp sites or buying them myself. Every knife has it's uses and most folding blades will do 90% of what a hiker needs.

For serious backcountry trips I usually carry either a Swiss army or Leatherman (obv. not both) and then my gerber fixed blade (with paracord wrapped handle). Having a multi/swiss army is useful for fixing gear or using the plyers but if I really need a solid blade I don't trust the blades in the multi tools to do any serious cutting. Survival situations are more likely to happen in the backcountry so that's the only time I carry my fixed blade. For day hikes or simple camping trips I carry a Gerber paraframe folding blade. And I have a razor blade or two in my red bag ... aka first aid/survival kit. If I lose all of my gear and only find that little red bag ... ill be ok.

I do see a lot of new hikers and backpackers wanting to carry full size KaBars onto the trail which seems like overkill to me but as long as I don't have to carry it I personally don't care. Some people require cool gear to get them outdoors and some people need to have a way to defend themselves to feel at ease. Whatever floats their boat.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Speaking of defense, does anyone hike with a gun? Some people I talk to about hiking (esp solo backwoods stuff) say that they do/I should carry a gun for bears and/or meth producers, but that seems loving silly.

I'm not anti gun, I grew up in a hunting family but :shrug:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd probably just make a bear angrier if I shot it with handgun. There's no way I could hit the bears head when it charges full speed.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Speaking of defense, does anyone hike with a gun? Some people I talk to about hiking (esp solo backwoods stuff) say that they do/I should carry a gun for bears and/or meth producers, but that seems loving silly.

I'm not anti gun, I grew up in a hunting family but :shrug:

Depends. Up in Oregon I was more worried about running into HIDDEN METH LAB than bears.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Hiking & Backpacking Megathread II: Still afraid of HIDDEN METH LABs

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
What about BEARS ON METH??!

We should really be watching out for those.

mystes
May 31, 2006

marsisol posted:

What about BEARS ON METH??!

We should really be watching out for those.
Hiking & Backpacking Megathread II: Breaking Bear

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Oxford Comma posted:

Depends. Up in Oregon I was more worried about running into HIDDEN METH LAB than bears.

To be fair, it's a real issue in the back country out here, and not just for backpackers. I've got a bunch of firefighter buddies who have some good stories about bumping into guarded weed farms while trying to get to a fire. Not fun! On the other hand, realistically they're going to outnumber you and will probably have rifles or shotguns, so you're more likely to provoke them than scare them off with a pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Yeah, my sister was in the backcountry working on a study and one of the crew stumbled on a pot farm. He was lucky to escape as the guard he encountered had an AK.