Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't know about the current WR, but at least a few world records ago the player worked by playing on an emulator, recording the exact number of RNs to burn before each move, then replicating it on a console.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

WrightOfWay posted:

I didn't watch the AGDQ run but the GBA games have fixed RNG so as long as you do the same moves you will get the same result every time. Maybe the AGDQ person didn't know that? It wouldn't be the first time someone at AGDQ didn't know much about the game they were running.

The runner knew that, but from what I understand, that's more of a TAS thing than a live speedrun thing. He just got awful luck with strength gains on Seth, and with Saleh dodging in chapter 15.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I don't quite get the point of doing stuff like that. Isn't that sorta like turing on noclip for a Doom run?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Anatharon posted:

I don't quite get the point of doing stuff like that. Isn't that sorta like turing on noclip for a Doom run?

Not really even a little bit? Noclip is cheating and doing things you can't normally do in the game. Figuring out how many RNs to waste is using an emulated copy of the game as a tool to discover the optimal route for your non-emulated run.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

RNG manipulation is not a TAS-only thing for either 7 or 8. The run of 7 during the bonus stream was RNG manipulation (and pretty entertaining. Florina with strength on every level? :getin:), and the run of 8 during the regular stream was not. The reason 8 was run in a 'normal' way is apparently that the runner found RNG manipulation runs to be boring to play- which is reasonable, because all of your movements are pretty much set in stone, it's just memorization. It's a lot more fun for the runner to play the game normally. But the downside to a straight playthrough is obviously what happened- Seth got poor levels and he couldn't finish it.

If you don't want to watch an hour and a half playthrough of FE7 (and I can't blame you, it's a cool idea but it's still a long video of someone playing a strategy game), it's pretty well explained here in the comments.

Artix posted:

All things considered, I really never saw the point of speedrunning Fire Emblem. I mean if LTC playstyles are your thing, so be it, but Fire Emblem is so RNG dependent that I don't see how you could do it with any kind of consistency.

And I don't see the point in playing on hard mode but people are always doing that. Different strokes and all. v:shobon:v
It's not so much that a normal playthrough+speedrun is a bad thing to do for people who like speedruns, it's just that it's a terrible thing to do in a marathon where you have one shot at the whole thing. It could have worked, but it could still really easily not. And it failed and he's pretty much blacklisted from running at *gdq so sucks for him I guess.

Anatharon posted:

The rules of speedrunning are kind of vague because it's a loose community that just built up its own standards, but no, they're not considered at all equivalent. Turning on cheats would be frowned upon, but exploiting a glitch that is basically a cheat (like the Borderlands 2 run's infinite ammo tricks) is alright. There were arguments in the agdq thread about whether glitched runs or purely technical stuff is better and there's not really a resolution. Personally, I would consider RNG manipulation to be even less questionable than outright glitches. You learn how the game works and turn it to your advantage- it's the essence of a strategy game, right there.

Whether or not you consider showing off a fixed route 'playing the game' is probably a point. But then, for speedruns in general, it's taking a completely different approach to 'playing the game' than the normal player. If you don't have that mindset, it's all going to seem pretty pointless. Why are you glitching through that wall? You just skipped the boss, he's a really fun boss. Go back and fight him, it's like 5 minutes tops.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

And of course, there are different categories of speed runs. A 100% completion speedrun is perfectly acceptable.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I got done playing through Path of Radiance recently, and is Jill's dad the dumbest character in the series? He was really dumb.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Letting your daughter kill you for no reason is pretty goddamn dumb, yeah.

I always had her kill him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I got done playing through Path of Radiance recently, and is Jill's dad the dumbest character in the series? He was really dumb.
I think that'd make Jill the dumbest character in the series, since she's willing to join his side without the 'two decades of being stuck doing awful poo poo to the point that you just sorta roll over' justification that he at least sort of has.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Letting your daughter kill you for no reason is pretty goddamn dumb, yeah.

I always had her kill him.

I did too. I think everyone does. But I really cannot think of any character as dumb as him. Like Ephraim has a legitimate mental disability, but even he never does anything that dumb.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Guys I think it's a tall order to ask a girl to kill her Dad even if he's working for Fantasy King Hitler

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Guys I think it's a tall order to ask a girl to kill her Dad even if he's working for Fantasy King Hitler

It's an even taller order for a dude to kill his daughter when he's working for King Hitler despite the fact that the army his daughter's in would happily allow him to jump ship and join the heroic good guys of good. Jill's dad does that anyway. This is why he's the dumbest character in the series.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Jill only kills her father because he's like "I don't care if you're mine own flesh and blood I'm going to fight you anyway because whatevs". She's the one who tried to talk him out of being stupid before being forced to have him taste her spear.

At least that's how I remember it going down when I played. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Jill only kills her father because he's like "I don't care if you're mine own flesh and blood I'm going to fight you anyway because whatevs". She's the one who tried to talk him out of being stupid before being forced to have him taste her spear.

At least that's how I remember it going down when I played. :v:
Jill can be recruited by Shiharam to the enemy side if she doesn't have an A support with Mist.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Endorph posted:

Jill can be recruited by Shiharam to the enemy side if she doesn't have an A support with Mist.

Or a B with Lethe.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Endorph posted:

The last time I played PoR I let Jill defect and then had Ike execute her for being a traitor.

Then I realized that meant I was going to miss out on Haar. Oh well.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Syka posted:

The last time I played PoR I let Jill defect and then had Ike execute her for being a traitor.

Then I realized that meant I was going to miss out on Haar. Oh well.

She was kind of a traitor to begin with, so that's pretty mean. In fact, I've always found the idea of recruiting characters and having them slaughter their own armies to be pretty hosed up.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Want to play a Fire Emblem where you're the bad guy and the enemy can convince your unique units.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

I'm well aware of this. It's not her fault that her father's bond with her wasn't as strong as the one she developed with a little girl she just met. :colbert:

E: But for real, considering that that level of support is probably pretty rare unless you deliberately go for it, getting Jill to that and having her speak to her father should get him to retreat or something and be an alternative victory scenario.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 16, 2014

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I always have Jill kill her father to prove her loyalty to me. But that's just me V:v:V

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Is there any character more waffley than Jill? In both games she can swap sides like whoa.

fafish
May 10, 2012
I finished both of western GBA releases during last summer, it took me ~100 hours for both. This series makes easily into my top ten, gameplay tighter than a virgin's rear end.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
what

It's an even taller order for a dude to kill his daughter when he's working for King Hitler despite the fact that the army his daughter's in would happily allow him to jump ship and join the heroic good guys of good. Jill's dad does that anyway. This is why he's the dumbest character in the series.

Rudolf starts a massive war so he can do the same, basically.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

fafish posted:

I finished both of western GBA releases during last summer, it took me ~100 hours for both. This series makes easily into my top ten, gameplay tighter than a virgin's rear end.

I'm just quoting it so you can't edit it later.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That hurts us more than it does him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Notty posted:

Is there any character more waffley than Jill? In both games she can swap sides like whoa.
Camus?

fafish posted:

gameplay tighter than a virgin's rear end.
How many virgin asses have you experienced, exactly?

fafish
May 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

How many virgin asses have you experienced, exactly?

None really it was too tight, i assume it needs patience and gentle work. Used the thing to describe these fine series mechanics. Like, take advance wars and add heroes and relationships between them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Moving on, have you tried the game with Roy yet?

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~

Last Celebration posted:

Moving on, have you tried the game with Roy yet?

Super Smash Bros. Melee?

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Like Ephraim has a legitimate mental disability, but even he never does anything that dumb.

What, really? Huh. /FEnewb

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Actually before I get to speedrunning I think I'm going to give Radiant Dawn another shot. I haven't played it in, geez, five years and I stopped because I am too much of a wussy baby for normal mode. Or rather, the Dawn Brigade could not handle that chapter near the end of part 1 and I got mercilessly destroyed. I think you have the BK but I didn't wanna use him to solo the chapter...

...Knowing easy=normal, and normal=hard in this game, am I missing anything by just playing it on "easy" this time?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Volt Catfish posted:

Actually before I get to speedrunning I think I'm going to give Radiant Dawn another shot. I haven't played it in, geez, five years and I stopped because I am too much of a wussy baby for normal mode. Or rather, the Dawn Brigade could not handle that chapter near the end of part 1 and I got mercilessly destroyed. I think you have the BK but I didn't wanna use him to solo the chapter...

...Knowing easy=normal, and normal=hard in this game, am I missing anything by just playing it on "easy" this time?

Nope, you don't miss out on anything. If anything, you level faster and pretty much every character is viable. There's also no shame in using the BK, and you can always unequip him and use him as a meatwall.

I don't get how you can speedrun the GBA games, but not be able to play RD on normal though :psyduck:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

You'll be a big dumb baby, that's what. If you played it last five years ago, you're probably a bit better now and can handle the hard(normal). Also, on normal(easy) a lot of the maps get really uninteresting, like chapter 5 turns from an escape map into defeat boss, which you can accomplish with much less finesse by just luring him out and nuking with Sothe. And also also, with the Ike chapters being as easy as they are even on hard, I can't imagine the lack of challenge on normal.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

That game is so pathetically easy on Normal mode that it's basically impossible to lose. The game doesn't lock you out of anything based on difficulty though.

taichara posted:

What, really? Huh. /FEnewb

No, not really. It was a joke.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Use Nolan a decent bit and give him a support with Zihark or Volug. Probably Zihark, since Zihark has better long-term prospects. Earth/Earth supports are absurd.

Don't bother bringing or attempting to use Meg or Fiona unless you're *really* dedicated to it.

You can bring Nailah and have her use Glare instead of actually killing enemies (though some mooks might still suicide on her), that way your other units can take out the statues for easy EXP.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Didn't you have to beat the game on normal to unlock the extra characters on subsequent playthroughs or am I misremembering? I'm glad you're giving the game another shot. Radiant Dawn is probably my favorite in the series because I love the way it integrates the plot and the gameplay (3-E is a great example of this). Also 2-E is probably my favorite map in the series.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

dude789 posted:

Didn't you have to beat the game on normal to unlock the extra characters on subsequent playthroughs or am I misremembering? I'm glad you're giving the game another shot. Radiant Dawn is probably my favorite in the series because I love the way it integrates the plot and the gameplay (3-E is a great example of this). Also 2-E is probably my favorite map in the series.

2 character, one is a regular and the other is a guest in the final stages.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dude789 posted:

Didn't you have to beat the game on normal to unlock the extra characters on subsequent playthroughs or am I misremembering?
No, you don't. You have to beat the game once, but it can be on any difficulty. You might be thinking of one of the secret scenes - you have to import FE9 data where Ike and Soren had an A support with each other, and there's a glitch in early US copies of Radiant Dawn where they won't accept FE9 data if it's from an easy mode playthrough.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm re-running FE7 and Erk's level 6 with 0 levelups giving magic. Never have I benched someone so fast after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, Erk is the worst Mage/Sage in that game. He might actually be the worst non-Renault magician period, now that I think about it.