Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Never underestimate what people are capable of. I had customer meetings today, so me and other team members had to look all nice. Reminded them yesterday.

Two of them came in this morning in tshirts. GO HOME AND CHANGE, GENIUSES.

One of those guys pissed on his tie somehow later in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

nitrogen posted:

Wow. This one got me laughing.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The stereotype that IT people can barely manage to dress themselves and are unable to interact with people in a reasonable way doesn't need more fuel :cripes: Get it together nitrogen's coworkers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nitrogen posted:

:psyduck:

Did he use it to wipe? What in the hell?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Not just how, but why would you even admit to something like that?

Unless he had people watching but then that just raises even more questions....

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing he was seated and leaning forward on his thighs. Unaccustomed to the thing dangling from his neck, it got in the way of the his other dangling thing.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The last time I heard a tie-pissing story it involved a dodgy nightclub running a five shots for £5 deal and the alcoholic brother of my friend declaring he could win a pisssing contest while upside down. He'd spent £30 by that point.

He was celebrating leaving his old helpdesk T1 job so this probably isn't good news.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

stubblyhead posted:

I'm guessing he was seated and leaning forward on his thighs. Unaccustomed to the thing dangling from his neck, it got in the way of the his other dangling thing.

But the angles and argh why am I even talking about this

mewse
May 2, 2006

Send a company-wide memo reminding people that it's against company policy for staff to urinate on their ties

e: or clarify that just because it's not specifically mentioned in the employee handbook, it is still forbidden

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

But the angles and argh why am I even talking about this

well you see the angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
That just reminds me of an old joke about how you know your boss is too drunk: He unbuttons his coat, pulls out his tie, and pisses his pants.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Goddamnit google.

There used to be a google chrome app called "Hangouts call". It allowed me, in chrome, to click on an "app" and it brouight up the hangouts voice thing. I used it mailny to make phonecalls.

Google has removed this "app" in chrome in favor of the hangouts extension which I hate.

I have other machines that still have the "Hangouts call" app in chrome, but I can't figure out how to get it from one machine to another. I'm using linux on both.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

EDIT: And no, copying .config/google-chrome doesn't seem to do it.

EDIT EDIT: Figured it out. It was my fault, apparently i was running an older verison of chrome which didnt support the drat thing. I updated and it works.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 15, 2014

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

nitrogen posted:

Goddamnit google.

There used to be a google chrome app called "Hangouts call". It allowed me, in chrome, to click on an "app" and it brouight up the hangouts voice thing. I used it mailny to make phonecalls.

Google has removed this "app" in chrome in favor of the hangouts extension which I hate.

I have other machines that still have the "Hangouts call" app in chrome, but I can't figure out how to get it from one machine to another. I'm using linux on both.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Hangouts has been utter poo poo and pisses me off. I'd rather have google talk be its own thing like it used to be.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off today: Explaining how MD5 can be used to verify file integrity. That alone isn't too bad. The fact that I'm explaining it to a data integration testing lead makes me want to :commissar:.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Installing MS Office 2013 on a new laptop for a client. I've already accepted the fact that I have to play junk-filter roulette with the verficiation e-mail for the account I have to make. But today the e-mail comes right through, hooray!

I click the link and-

code:
We're unable to complete your request

Microsoft account is experiencing technical problems. Please try again later.
Go gently caress yourself so hard Microsoft. 2013 has been the bane of my loving existence at every step you have to do to install it without an OEM key.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every time this poo poo comes up I get a bit more grateful that we didn't migrate to Office 365

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Caged posted:

Every time this poo poo comes up I get a bit more grateful that we didn't migrate to Office 365

With an OEM key for 2013 it's easy-peasy since you don't need to tie it to an account. If you purchased the key retail, then you get to enter they byzantine, broken world of the Microsoft Account system, which is where 90% of the problems stem from.

This isn't actually even a 2013-specific issue, this would be happening if I was creating an MS account for any reason at all.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
MySQL went offline overnight? Oh boy. We've been having SAN issues the last few days, this can't be good...

pre:
InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally! 
InnoDB: Starting crash recovery. 

InnoDB: Rolling back trx with id XXXXXXXX, 1 rows to undo 
InnoDB: Waiting for the background threads to start 
InnoDB: Assertion failure in thread XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX in file fut0lst.ic line 83
At least innodb_force_recovery = 6 let me take a (potentially corrupt) backup.

You know poo poo is broke when MySQL crashes when you drop an empty database. :suicide:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
A response to a ticket(well, contact form that's submitted via e-mail to a specific team) came in the mail today. The responder was requesting more details as everything seemed OK on their side.

The original message was from september 2012, complete with clearly visible date/timestamp.

At least someone had the courtesy to reply with "It looks like you have a bug in your system because this is from 2012".

My personal explanation is that someone sorted their mails by name rather than date and just got to work responding to everything, considering the form was sent in by someone whose last name starts with an A.

Every day I am amazed that everything still runs given the stunning displays of screwups big and small.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Smoke posted:

A response to a ticket(well, contact form that's submitted via e-mail to a specific team) came in the mail today. The responder was requesting more details as everything seemed OK on their side.

The original message was from september 2012, complete with clearly visible date/timestamp.

At least someone had the courtesy to reply with "It looks like you have a bug in your system because this is from 2012".

My personal explanation is that someone sorted their mails by name rather than date and just got to work responding to everything, considering the form was sent in by someone whose last name starts with an A.

Every day I am amazed that everything still runs given the stunning displays of screwups big and small.

And I thought the 45-day response time I got back the other day was bad. I'm not sure if 16 months would piss me off or make me happy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Users who open tickets, ask you to contact them via mobile because they won't be in the office and then won't pick up the phone because they don't recognise the number are both dumb and annoying.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Other than the retarded Star Trek reference what is wrong here? The browser doesn't know that Oracle bought Java and now hosts things on their server. It is warning you legitimately that the url you followed is being sent somewhere else.

Yes I know it is from Star Wars, I just like pissing people off.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Trastion posted:

Other than the retarded Star Trek reference what is wrong here? The browser doesn't know that Oracle bought Java and now hosts things on their server. It is warning you legitimately that the url you followed is being sent somewhere else.

It's something that pisses me off because Oracle hosed up their certs

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It has nothing to do with Star Wars, it's that a company as big as Oracle can't configure their SSL certs properly.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's something that pisses me off because Oracle hosed up their certs

And you expect anything different? Just be glad that it didn't somehow take down your whole organization when you browse their website. Remember their tag line is "We've hosed up over a BILLION devices!" or something like that anyways.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The only thing Oracle has ever done right is make me a ton of fake money in my high school economics class when we had $10k of fake dollars to fake invest in the stock market and the teacher kept track of how our portfolio grew. This was when oracle was rather young, and their huge growth made me make the most fake money off anyone in the class.

When it comes to actual technology Oracle is pretty much one big failure who is very good at marketing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Only slightly related, I noticed the Java updater has switched from bundling the Ask Toolbar to some McAfee bollocks now.

Why the hell does Oracle pull this poo poo? Ugh.

vv, Yeah, I heard that it was supposed to be Intel Security, but there it was, McAfee, in huge letters, in the latest updater. Who knows.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 16, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HalloKitty posted:

Only slightly related, I noticed the Java updater has switched from bundling the Ask Toolbar to some McAfee bollocks now.

I noticed Adobe was doing the same thing. Also I thought it wasn't called McAfee anymore?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

HalloKitty posted:

I think they have been rotating those for a while now.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Trastion posted:

And you expect anything different? Just be glad that it didn't somehow take down your whole organization when you browse their website. Remember their tag line is "We've hosed up over a BILLION devices!" or something like that anyways.

"Java runs on a billion devices, but the only ones that are any good are running a really heavily modified version that someone else wrote from scratch, and we're currently suing the people who did that because we can't compete on technical merit. Here, have McAfee so the rest of your system becomes just as slow as whatever Java poo poo you're trying to run."

or alternatively.

"Java runs on a billion devices, but this is a PC so don't bother unless you play Minecraft"

Lum fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 16, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Glad I decided to pop into work even though i'm ill. My manager saw me, told me to go back to the doctor and that i'll still get paid and it won't affect my salary review next week. That illness isn't pissing me off so much anymore :dance:

VVVVVVVVVVVVV

I think a lot of the hate of Java is because so many places try to teach you it via oracle.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 16, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lum posted:

"Java runs on a billion devices, but the only ones that are any good are running a really heavily modified version that someone else wrote from scratch, and we're currently suing the people who did that because we can't compete on technical merit. Here, have McAfee so the rest of your system becomes just as slow as whatever Java poo poo you're trying to run."

or alternatively.

"Java runs on a billion devices, but this is a PC so don't bother unless you play Minecraft"

I don't get the Java hate. Oracle sucks. And Sun's JRE update mechanism was just as bad. But Java is relatively fast, relatively portable, easy to write, and has an enormous community. It's easily containerized and performs on par with C-family languages in a lot of instances. The only downside is the terrible JRE management on Windows.

A stunning amount of enterprise poo poo still needs Java, including many OOB management consoles (which will hopefully all migrate to noVNC in the future, but for now...). There's just no getting away from it. And it's hard to even make the argument that we should.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

evol262 posted:

I don't get the Java hate.

The constant security holes aren't enough of a reason? Hell, it's even got it's own wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_security

Edit: Oh, and here's what the US Department of Homeland Security has to say about Java:

One of many articles talking about the zero-day exploit posted:

"Unless it is absolutely necessary to run Java in Web browsers, disable it [...] even after updating to [Update 11]."

Code breaks the source for that quote, it's here: http://www.zdnet.com/homeland-security-warns-java-still-poses-risks-after-security-fix-7000009785/

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 16, 2014

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

anthonypants posted:

I noticed Adobe was doing the same thing. Also I thought it wasn't called McAfee anymore?

funny article posted:

Intel is distancing itself from the name of its top security product, McAfee, after years of having its name dragged through the mud thanks to the misadventures of its founder, John McAfee.
Haha, right. It's John McAfee's fault their name is tainted. Couldn't possibly be their product.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sirotan posted:

The constant security holes aren't enough of a reason?

Edit: Hell, it's even got it's own wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_security
No, just as they're not enough reason to avoid Windows or PHP. That article is incredibly misleading, since the JRE and JDK are the only things (Glassfish and other app servers technically produced by Oracle excepted) they're really responsible for, and those have ~450 CVEs in the last 12 years. Windows 7 has 330 CVEs in the last 4 years. Java has about one CVE per week, averaged over more than a decade, which is approximately the same ratio as .NET and its associated ecosystem (lumping ASP.NET in with it). Java's not anywhere near exceptionally bad.

The downside of the large environment is that there'll be a lot of badly written code by developers both inside and outside of Java. But the language and runtime themselves are fine.

Edit:

Sirotan posted:

Edit: Oh, and here's what the US Department of Homeland Security has to say about Java:

Code breaks the source for that quote, it's here: http://www.zdnet.com/homeland-security-warns-java-still-poses-risks-after-security-fix-7000009785/

This is also extremely misleading. DHS recommends disabling it so you don't get hit with a zero-day drive-by. This is the same as saying "you should unplug your computer from the internet so you don't get infected by Blaster (or one of the other 200 RPC worms)" in 2003. It's good security practice to disable stuff you don't need. Including Flash, which also has a lot of "security problems" by being present on the vast majority of systems connected to the internet. But Java's not unique here.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 16, 2014

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

The constant security holes aren't enough of a reason?

That and for a language that's supposed to be write once run on any platform, the sheer amount of software out there that requires special snowflake versions or it doesn't work properly is just stupid.

Yes, many of these apps are badly written and making use of oddities that exist in certain specific versions, but the sheer amount of these points to something more pervasive than just a couple of lovely devs doing it wrong.

I'm not a huge fan of .net but at least the security updates for that are easy to manage in a corporate environment, don't bundle shovelware with their updates and I've yet to come across a security update that has broken an app. Also when .net does do a major update that breaks compatability, the old runtimes are still maintained and patched.

Edit: Please don't bring Flash into this. Nobody here is going to defend Flash (or Adobe Reader) and just because Flash is slightly shittier doesn't make Java ok.

Lum fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 16, 2014

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

This seems like a good time to point out that you can prevent the java installer from trying to install malware :) (though of course that's only going to work as long as Oracle lets us...)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lum posted:

That and for a language that's supposed to be write once run on any platform, the sheer amount of software out there that requires special snowflake versions or it doesn't work properly is just stupid.

Yes, many of these apps are badly written and making use of oddities that exist in certain specific versions, but the sheer amount of these points to something more pervasive than just a couple of lovely devs doing it wrong.

I'm not a huge fan of .net but at least the security updates for that are easy to manage in a corporate environment, don't bundle shovelware with their updates and I've yet to come across a security update that has broken an app. Also when .net does do a major update that breaks compatability, the old runtimes are still maintained and patched.

Edit: Please don't bring Flash into this. Nobody here is going to defend Flash (or Adobe Reader) and just because Flash is slightly shittier doesn't make Java ok.

I'm not exactly an ardent Java defender, but almost all of these assertions are wrong somehow.

Java software "requires" special snowflake versions in the same way that FlexLM "requires" running on RHEL instead of CentOS. It'll probably work fine on an updated version of the same JRE version, but the vendor won't guarantee any support. Not that it doesn't happen, but that it's not a problem with Sun/Oracle in particular.

It's not even making use of oddities in specific versions as much as "this app needs Hibernate x.y, Log4j a.b.c, and Lucene m.n, the combination of which is only tested on this specific version of the JRE". It's not quirks mode. It's enterprise software as normal. Most appallingly, Java lets (encourages!) you packing everything into a war or jar which contains every goddamn dependency known to man, so the end-user doesn't have to worry about it.

Applet versions in embedded hardware are a totally separate problem, since they're often unable to be updated and rely on ancient versions of some library to pack. DRACs are a good example of this sometimes. Then again, this functionality only really exists with ActiveX and Java (and very recently WebSockets), so it's all equally bad.

.NET security updates are easy to manage. So are Java security updates. They're trivial to push out with anything you want, and it's easily scripted without shovelware.

.NET goes EoL like everything else. .NET 1.1/1.5 are already dead. 2.0 is dying. Java 6 is dead, sure. But it came out in 2006.

I'm not asking people to defend Flash or Adobe or Silverlight or whatever. But they're equally valid paradigms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I'm well aware of the only supported on version X problem, you're right that that exists everywhere (though oddly it's comparatively rare on stuff that depends on Microsoft runtimes) I was talking about stuff that actually breaks if it has the wrong version. I encounter this far too bloody often with "enterprise" Java apps. I have never encountered it with .net or Python, for example. It says to me that either too much stuff changes between point releases, or that things are sufficiently hard to do in Java that devs end up finding the quirks and exploits before they find the actual solution. Either way it's a problem.

Comparing it to FlexLM isn't going to do your argument any favours here either. I think everyone hates FlexLM.

Dependencies I don't really care about so much. .net and Java both have you do this, albeit in slightly different ways (with .net you just chuck the dependency into your app's install directory) and if your dependency becomes insecure then your app becomes insecure and you need to update it, perfectly normal.

Likewise, ancient lovely Java versions would be much more tolerable if they were bundled with the apps, but so few do this, most need them installed fully where they can be exploited by any .jar that finds its way onto your system.

Sure you can hack things about to give the app it's own custom java version, but now we're back into "unsupported configuration" land when it breaks.

Lum fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 16, 2014