Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah The ice spells I mentioned were far worse than what they were replaced with. Who needs spells like Ice Spears or Firebane when we can have Kakrack and Frizzle. That's some quality writing right there. :jerkbag:

I'll take the thee's and thou's of the old DQ games over the atrocious pun garbage DQ9 crammed everywhere possible.

I don't think you've played a Dragon Quest in years if you think the spell names are ill-fitting in the context of using them to attack cute little teardrops, demons with pitchforks that are actual forks wearing little booties, and other enemies that are drawn by a man that does children's gag comic books for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I don't get this at all. Why is the world map representation the same as what you see when you enter the map in-game? It just looks so awful and out-of-place. :psyduck:

The rest of the cities/towns aren't like this, right? Right? :ohdear:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Nihilarian posted:

I'm curious, are there any really loving good ports, or are they all downhill from the originals?

Final Fantasy Tactics for iOS is very well done.
The Chrono Trigger Ds port is really good other then some added content which is completely optional and mediocre.
The Gba ports of 4,5, & 6 are also good minus slightly worse music compared to the snes.
Final Fantasy Origins on ps1 is a good port in that its completely faithful to the NES versions of 1&2 with graphics upgraded to Snes era standards.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

For Origins, don't forget the improved music. I think FF2 even added an extra battle tune, the really weird one.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

The GBA port of FFVI has kind of wonkier music but fixing the Evade Bug and adding some extra content in general makes up for it to me.

Plus you can fight Kefka over and over for Ragnaroks to turn into Illuminas, just to make sure Locke, Celes, Edgar and Terra are that much better than the rest of the cast.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'll take the thee's and thou's of the old DQ games over the atrocious pun garbage DQ9 crammed everywhere possible.

Axes of Evil is the greatest skill name in an RPG ever and there's nothing you can say to convince me otherwise.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ohtsam posted:

The Chrono Trigger Ds port is really good other then some added content which is completely optional and mediocre.

It also uses a different translation, which probably isn't an issue for most people, but I love the Woolsey script.

:sigh:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Schwartzcough posted:

Edit:

Also, why does Setzer have breasts?

Why does every male character have to look pissed off? Why do none of the female characters get to be pissed off?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm actually pretty excited about this FF6 remake as I had to restart the game a couple of times in my day since I had to put the game aside for months at a time and forgot what the gently caress I was supposed to do. If it now can remind me what I was last doing that will help a lot since I can't remember jack poo poo about it at this point

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

bobservo posted:

As much as I want to play more of War of the Lions, the original 4:3 image smashed into the aspect ratio of a PSP just makes the game look loving hideous, especially because it uses so much 2D art. gently caress, what a wasted opportunity.

FFT doesn't have 4:3 images, they're 16:15 which looks even shittier when stretched to the psp's 16:9.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

FFT doesn't have 4:3 images, they're 16:15 which looks even shittier when stretched to the psp's 16:9.

I think the same guy that created the FFT PSP slowdown fix also fixed the stretching. I have played with both fixes in place and it looks incredible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ilifinicus posted:

I'm actually pretty excited about this FF6 remake as I had to restart the game a couple of times in my day since I had to put the game aside for months at a time and forgot what the gently caress I was supposed to do. If it now can remind me what I was last doing that will help a lot since I can't remember jack poo poo about it at this point
You're literally worse than hitler.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ragequit posted:

I think the same guy that created the FFT PSP slowdown fix also fixed the stretching. I have played with both fixes in place and it looks incredible.

Hilariously, I was more annoyed by the letterboxing than I was by the stretched graphics.

I guess I'm just an awful person. :shrug:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mega64 posted:

Why does every male character have to look pissed off? Why do none of the female characters get to be pissed off?

How else would you be able to tell who's male and who's female? They both have boobs!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

So this is the sort of thing Square Enix expects will save the company?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

So this is the sort of thing Square Enix expects will save the company?

I think its things like airship brigade and the other stuff along with re-releases for cell phones and HD up-ports for consoles and next gen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr Pepper posted:

It's Thundara. :v:

The basic spells are Fire, Thunder, Blizzard.

Al Baron posted:

3D rendered towns on the world map, apparently.

Also holy crap a main quest helper. Hope you can turn that off.

HOLY poo poo, Is square using loving RPG maker now? Like, what the gently caress. That is so loving ugly. :barf:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 16, 2014

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've seen RPG Maker games that look at least ten times better than that

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

I've seen RPG Maker games that look at least ten times better than that

Kemco's low-budget mobile JRPGs look better than the FFVI port -- or visually consistent at the very least.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

bobservo posted:

Kemco's low-budget mobile JRPGs look better than the FFVI port -- or visually consistent at the very least.

That's what grosses me out the most. We have a poorly done and gigantic character sprite that's blurry, low color, and soft. We have a very hard-looking miniature 3d model of Figaro. And then the background of the world itself looks nothing like the sprite or the 3D model in terms of blur, color, or detail. THEN you have the menu up top which clashes further, and the loving moogle is a different kind of sprite and detail from Locke! Better looking, but still inconsistent.

It literally, and I use that word exactly as it's meant, looks like they opened photoshop and cut-pasted a bunch of poo poo from four different games together.

I know Square and Japan doesn't give a poo poo about FF6, but this is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen out of a supposedly top-tier company. All The Bravest seemed more together than this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Black August posted:

It literally, and I use that word exactly as it's meant, looks like they opened photoshop and cut-pasted a bunch of poo poo from four different games together.

I know Square and Japan doesn't give a poo poo about FF6, but this is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen out of a supposedly top-tier company. All The Bravest seemed more together than this.

It really does. Heck, its even worse than that, because they applied blur filters to half of them before dumping them together.

:wtc: How can they mess up THAT badly? I don't get it. High schoolers would probably feel bad about making that.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

bobservo posted:

Wow, I'm amazed Kemco still exists. I only remember them from making Lagoon, which was definitely the bestworst (mostly worst) game in my SNES collection. I ended up looking at their library on wikipedia and I'm amazed by how, with all the games they have under their belt, it's extremely difficult to find a game that isn't terrible, let alone even good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My friend's played their mobile games and apparently some of them are at least competent, if not fairly generic

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

FF8 is such a stupid game gameplay and story wise. Stealing magic from enemies and then junctioning them to your stats? Having to scavenge random crap to upgrade weapons? Enemies leveling up with you and making grinding pointless? A retarded card game? HAVING TO TAKE A TEST TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU EARN? What the gently caress where the developers smoking when they made this game? It wasn't the usual stuff that's for sure. So glad FF9 went back to actually being a Final Fantasy because FF8 sure as hell isn't. There's nothing wrong with changing gameplay mechanics up a bit but when you change too much you run the risk of alienating long-time fans.

And that's just the gameplay issues I have with this game. Don't even get me started on the story, because it's all kinds of messed up.

Also gunblades are retarded weapons

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

FF8 is such a stupid game gameplay and story wise. Stealing magic from enemies and then junctioning them to your stats? Having to scavenge random crap to upgrade weapons? Enemies leveling up with you and making grinding pointless? A retarded card game? HAVING TO TAKE A TEST TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU EARN?

You're gonna have to come clean as to which one of these is a bad idea, because they all sound more interesting than boring generic steampunk fantasy #382,427.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The story is terrible but I like the gameplay. And I have no issue with the upgrade system. And I like the card game, especially because it's 100% optional.

The idea of giving the players a paycheck is a pretty interesting idea, but having the income decided almost completely by how good you are at true/false tests (which have no penalty if you fail) is pretty dumb.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Starhawk64 posted:

Enemies leveling up with you and making grinding pointless?

FF8 has a lot of neat ideas that in practice were not executed well. This is one of them in my opinion.

The main reason is the game's damage cap being 9999 and it being possible for low-level characters to realistically attain that kind of damage with good magic junctioning. Therefore, low level characters can end up with pretty much the same damage output as high level characters, but the high level characters are punished by bosses that have much, much more HP, dragging battles on.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

You're gonna have to come clean as to which one of these is a bad idea, because they all sound more interesting than boring generic steampunk fantasy #382,427.

Well, taking the test was pretty stupid, was that really necessary? I can forgive the other stuff if they were gameplay mechanics for a completely different game. Not being able to buy new armor and equipment, treating magic as one-time use items, and all the other conventions of the series were pretty much chucked out the window pretty much left a sour taste in my mouth. I did like the setting of the game but the mechanics made it a chore to play.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
*looks at FFVI Android*

gently caress you, Square Enix. Just... gently caress you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

FF8 is such a stupid game gameplay and story wise. Stealing magic from enemies and then junctioning them to your stats? Having to scavenge random crap to upgrade weapons? Enemies leveling up with you and making grinding pointless? A retarded card game? HAVING TO TAKE A TEST TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU EARN? What the gently caress where the developers smoking when they made this game? It wasn't the usual stuff that's for sure. So glad FF9 went back to actually being a Final Fantasy because FF8 sure as hell isn't. There's nothing wrong with changing gameplay mechanics up a bit but when you change too much you run the risk of alienating long-time fans.

And that's just the gameplay issues I have with this game. Don't even get me started on the story, because it's all kinds of messed up.

Also gunblades are retarded weapons

You posted the same in the other thread and I'm going to respond the same

It all makes sense coming off the running success that was 7.

How can we make materia even bigger? Junctioning.

Gold saucer was really cool? Better add a huge minigame that you can play throughout the whole game, instead of just one place.

Having enemies like dogs and slimes drop gil makes no sense? Now you get paid by your employer instead. (Earthbound did the same thing pretty much)

People played 7 to death and ran around collecting all the side materia and loved the optional bosses? Better add a ton of side quest crafting items!

Leveling with you is dumb, but its a crutch that TONS of RPGs use, because actually balancing an epic RPG on this scale is loving ridiculously hard. It is a crutch though, no doubt.

The implementation wasn't perfect, but you can hardly fault them for trying. It all makes perfect logical sense.

And if you were 18 you'd think gunblades were really neato.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Someone said (probably in this thread) that junctioning is better if you think of it as equipment. It really helps.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Black August posted:

That's what grosses me out the most. We have a poorly done and gigantic character sprite that's blurry, low color, and soft. We have a very hard-looking miniature 3d model of Figaro. And then the background of the world itself looks nothing like the sprite or the 3D model in terms of blur, color, or detail. THEN you have the menu up top which clashes further, and the loving moogle is a different kind of sprite and detail from Locke! Better looking, but still inconsistent.

These games were made to target the mobile audience which is comprised of many people who have never played the games before. If you have read the reviews for these remakes, then you'll see that they review well with 4+/5 star aggregate reviews. More importantly, SE is probably happy that these games perform well on paid charts.

Starhawk64 posted:

Well, taking the test was pretty stupid, was that really necessary? I can forgive the other stuff if they were gameplay mechanics for a completely different game. Not being able to buy new armor and equipment, treating magic as one-time use items, and all the other conventions of the series were pretty much chucked out the window pretty much left a sour taste in my mouth. I did like the setting of the game but the mechanics made it a chore to play.

I think they came across USAJOBS.gov and decided General Schedule pay scaling was a great gameplay mechanic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junctioning is not a terrible concept but it is a terrible execution. That applies to a lot of FFVIII honestly. Everything except Triple Triad. (And even that is debatable with rules spreading.)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I liked the salary idea in FF8.

Like, you were playing as mercenaries, so you get a salary by your employer.

It being based off quizes that were easy to game to get max salary the moment it becomes available is, like most things in FF8, a problem with execution.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

See, I kinda disagree. I liked the tests, they were pretty cool. Linking them to your current level was dumb but, hey, whatever.

Everything else you're talking about regards legacy mechanics. How would have having shops gradually get another tier of equipment improved the experience on the whole? Is that why you like the series? Is an MP system for magic what makes Final Fantasy Final Fantasy? What about FFI then, with its set amount of casts? Or XIII with free magic?

I dunno, being too attached to legacy mechanics seems like a bad idea, and a little bit of experimentation with it is pretty cool. I mean, X didn't have an ATB, normal levelling, or standard weapon shops, and it was great. It's cool to try new poo poo.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 16, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, those mobile ports make me want to vomit. :barf:

Yeah, FF8 was an example of good ideas but poor execution.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
No one mentioned the King of indesipherable spell names, Phantasy Star. Here's a fun game, try to guess what these spells do!

Res
Tsu
Hinas
Ryuka
Rimpa
Rimit
Arows

The game never says, you gotta look them up in the manual.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
WAS THIS SO HARD SQUARE ENIX?

If it wasn't for Bravely Default they would never get my money again.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

That looks awful, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pasteurized Milk posted:

That looks awful, though.

It does.

It's also better than what Square Enix is officially providing.