Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
I dunno guys, sometimes I like to drive spiritedly just because. If that includes accelerating from stoplight to stoplight or passing somebody just in time to hit a speed limit sign I'm cool with it. Driving can be fun.

When I'm driving my work vehicle I'm all about efficiency and smart choices but my S2000 continues to bring out the 18 year old in me. And I don't even speed very much doing so, I just drive kinda spiritedly.

I'm a person you share a road with :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone drives "spirited" sometimes.

It's just that there's a time and a place for it, and cutting off other traffic just in time to slam your brakes for a red light is not one of them. As for people with a lead foot, I applaud them because it means they're going to flush out any cops up ahead and I can drive a little faster too. Just don't tailgate me in the process. :angel:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

I'm a person you share a road with :(

Me too. I try not to cut people off, but if it's between following a group of cars all bunched up and passing them to get to some empty pavement, I'll go for the pass. It's not about getting somewhere sooner and I'll even go the speed limit* after that point, I just would rather not be around other cars.

(*+5 mph)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

Me too. I try not to cut people off, but if it's between following a group of cars all bunched up and passing them to get to some empty pavement, I'll go for the pass. It's not about getting somewhere sooner and I'll even go the speed limit* after that point, I just would rather not be around other cars.

Pretty much this, not to mention if you're one of these people who crawls at 5 MPH for the next 250 yards to the intersection or has the "well I'm going to stop eventually so why not stop where I am?" mentality gently caress off, I'm going to pass you.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Armacham posted:

Or when someone cuts you off and drives off at 15+ the limit and then you pull up beside them at the next stop light. I usually give them a friendly wave.

See that happened that once to them and you, but a ton of other times they made it thru the light. In the long term it's a pretty good pay off.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

nsaP posted:

See that happened that once to them and you, but a ton of other times they made it thru the light. In the long term it's a pretty good pay off.
Im sure wearing headphones while driving will "pay off" at some point too. :gurf:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

West SAAB Story posted:

I still get strange looks when I'm asked why I am slowing down by my own drat passengers. Well, in about 1000ft it drops 10mph. There is no viable reason to hammer down straight up to the next speed limit sign and reseat your brake pads while testing your seatbelts' automatic locking mechanism.

Heh, I keep my foot in it until I see a white sign that says otherwise. 6 wheel drifts are awesome, I dare you to say otherwise.

I did have some fun the other day, I was driving my pickup and some rear end in a top hat in a HYBRID TOASTER CAR was ignoring the turn signals of the big truck trying to get over because the lane ended (Reno/Sparks, the clusterfuck by the Nugget) Well the truck came over and this made the HYBRID TOASTER CAR driver completely outraged, so I boxed him in behind the big truck, and flipped him off while pumping my finger in my fist-anus. This took him by surprise and seemed to calm him the gently caress down a bit, and by calm him down, I think he had a stroke and passed out purple.

Guy was trying to tailfuck the dude's DOT bar for some reason.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InterceptorV8 posted:

Heh, I keep my foot in it until I see a white sign that says otherwise. 6 wheel drifts are awesome, I dare you to say otherwise.

But, but, but my MPGs. :negative:

(You can also tell the older residents from where they slow down from where the sign USED to be, rather than where it is now.)

InterceptorV8 posted:

Guy was trying to tailfuck the dude's DOT bar for some reason.

We need to put cameras up on the 80E/Nugget exchange, and the new clusterfuck from 395580N-80-80-80 lanes. Not a goddamn day that I happen to be near there that at least one person has to hop across three lanes because HOLY gently caress THERE IS AN EXIT!

I don't think daytrippers understand the code of the road. I'll give them a double-tap flash to merge ahead of me (like I'm gonna be pushing a penske out of my lane anytime soon) and in so many years, I think I've had a handful of courtesy flashes back.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I get courtesy flashes from city buses. Your daycabbers are boiled poo poo.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

...I was coasting as slow as possible while the light was still red to keep from stopping.

If you don't at least try to do this while taking your driving exam, you'll probably fail it over here. Part of the "eco driving" requirement, coupled with the "learn to anticipate and plan ahead" requirements. Well, maybe not coasting, but engine braking, not stopping unnecessarily and so on.

Edit: Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit. But eco driving is a pretty big part of the exam here.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 16, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

If you don't at least try to do this while taking your driving exam, you'll probably fail it over here. Part of the "eco driving" requirement, coupled with the "learn to anticipate and plan ahead" requirements. Well, maybe not coasting, but engine braking, not stopping unnecessarily and so on.

Edit: Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit. But eco driving is a pretty big part of the exam here.

Where the heck did you take this exam?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Cage posted:

Im sure wearing headphones while driving will "pay off" at some point too. :gurf:

Exactly. With the hours of music and podcast enjoyment that I've had while commuting or taking relaxing rides thru the countryside.

Give it a try and you'll realize how silly you sound.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

West SAAB Story posted:

But, but, but my MPGs. :negative:

(You can also tell the older residents from where they slow down from where the sign USED to be, rather than where it is now.)

We need to put cameras up on the 80E/Nugget exchange, and the new clusterfuck from 395580N-80-80-80 lanes. Not a goddamn day that I happen to be near there that at least one person has to hop across three lanes because HOLY gently caress THERE IS AN EXIT!

I don't think daytrippers understand the code of the road. I'll give them a double-tap flash to merge ahead of me (like I'm gonna be pushing a penske out of my lane anytime soon) and in so many years, I think I've had a handful of courtesy flashes back.

My MPGs???

Here is something for you to sit back and think about.

My pickup gets worse MPG than my semi.

I pretty much will go around the Spaghetti Bowl if there is any event anywhere near town because I'm tired of playing "Dodge the Californian that figures out they need to get off here to go to Reno" game. You know the game, I'm going to spend three loving days in the left hand lane then cross traffic sideways 50 feet past the point of no return to make my offramp at 70mph. I'm going to end up doing the PIT Maneuver on someone by accident one of these days.

Also, gently caress people scared of blowing trash. Almost got into a major pile-up because a box blew out on the interstate and everybody in the fast lane was playing restrictor plate NASCAR and hammered on the binders at 80mph 3 feet apart. I said gently caress it and mowed over the box and whatever was in it to calm these fuckers down. Of course there was some kind of rattle cans of something in the box and they took off like missiles, but for gently caress's sake people don't be retarded.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nsaP posted:

Exactly. With the hours of music and podcast enjoyment that I've had while commuting or taking relaxing rides thru the countryside.

Give it a try and you'll realize how silly you sound.

The only silly thing is how you need to keep justifying this to us even though nobody gives a poo poo what you're doing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He brought it up? :confused:

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I love accelerating quickly from a stop, but I'd usually rather brake early and still be going 20 MPH when the light turns green.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I don't generally drive like a nut, but I'll almost always floor it on a highway onramp.

...I try to be moving at least 45mph by the time I have to merge, that's the only way I'll manage. My car ain't quick. Whenever I let someone else drive I always tell them not to be afraid of the pedal, but they tend to just be terrified of everything driving a tired old Suburban.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

0rganDonor posted:

Dear self important Nashville traffic; please, when seeing the turn signal on an 18 wheeler indicating a lane change to the left lane do not try and pass on the left after half the trailer occupies the lane. Also put your phone down so by time you realize what you're doing you don't have to jerk the wheel hard to the median to avoid me (seriously, I was merging slow enough you could have just applied the brakes). Further, don't try to get me to follow you down an off ramp to discuss it with you. However, you are free to follow me to my next stop, 350 miles away.
I'm cool with finding the person who designed the Nashville interstate system and sending them on a rocket straight into the sun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

...I try to be moving at least 45mph by the time I have to merge,

45 won't cut the mustard around here unfortunately. I have to keep the hammer down until I'm pushing 65 or else I end up a hood ornament as I try to merge in. Really loving sucks on those interchanges where the on ramp is only about 100 meters long before it turns into an off ramp.

Whoever the guy was that designed those really needs a solid kick in the nuts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The scene: 2 lane road that runs alongside a Wal-Mart. 30 mph limit.

Chevy Cobalt slowwwwwwwwwwwwly pulls out in front of me as I'm doing... 30 or so? Wind up laying on the horn and hitting the brakes, stopping about.. oh, maybe 2 inches at most from her B pillar. My thanks was the driver stopping completely, rolling down the window, screaming gently caress YOU!!!! and flipping me off with both hands. :fuckoff: Part of me really wished I didn't know what "threshold braking" was.

About 2 minutes later on the main road through town (3 lanes each way, 45 mph limit) - doing about 50 in the right lane (basically going with traffic). Beat to poo poo Jeep Cherokee blows past me in the middle lane doing at least 80 (that 4.slow was screaming its valves off, and I saw them coming up behind me weaving through traffic), slams on their brakes hard enough to piss off their ABS, to...make a right turn directly in front of me from the middle lane. Barely missed them.

gently caress new money cities, gently caress them so hard.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Friar Zucchini posted:

I don't generally drive like a nut, but I'll almost always floor it on a highway onramp.

...I try to be moving at least 45mph by the time I have to merge, that's the only way I'll manage. My car ain't quick. Whenever I let someone else drive I always tell them not to be afraid of the pedal, but they tend to just be terrified of everything driving a tired old Suburban.

When I'm in the Miata, on ramps are my lateral-G threshold testing zones. Around here, I usually have to ease off when I get to Interstate pavement.

I also get upset when I have to share with someone who doesn't share my joy of on/off ramps. GET OUTTA MY WAY I'M TRYING TO HAVE FUN IN MY GUTLESS WONDER! :argh:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Potential motorcycle owner.txt right there, take the riding class man.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Solkanar512 posted:

Where the heck did you take this exam?

Sweden. The driving part of the exam consists of 4 areas where you have to show knowledge.
- Vehicle knowledge and maneuvering
- Economical driving
- Knowledge about traffic rules and signs.
- How you plan ahead and behave in traffic.

The examiner will take all of these into consideration when deciding if you pass or not.

If you drive perfectly but are a bit heavy on the foot, you'll probably pass. But if you routinely come up to red lights not engine braking and at high speeds only to brake hard, you'll probably fail since it's not just bad for the eco part, but also for the planning ahead and behavior part. The examiner also goes a lot by how it felt. If they felt at ease, you'll probably pass, which probably means that you did alright. They do consider people being nervous about the test, driving a car you are not used to and so on. Unless they suck, that is.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I want a big, possibly reflective SORRY bumper sticker because anyone behind me at any time has maybe a 20% chance of being the victim of my poo poo driving, having just been cut off, forced to do a speed slower than what they'd like, forced to stop while I make a turn on the overloaded 2-lane road near my house, or generally confused by my bumbling nature.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

nsaP posted:

Pretty much everybody in AI should take the MSF if they haven't already.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrOnBicycle posted:

Sweden. The driving part of the exam consists of 4 areas where you have to show knowledge.
- Vehicle knowledge and maneuvering
- Economical driving
- Knowledge about traffic rules and signs.
- How you plan ahead and behave in traffic.

The examiner will take all of these into consideration when deciding if you pass or not.

If you drive perfectly but are a bit heavy on the foot, you'll probably pass. But if you routinely come up to red lights not engine braking and at high speeds only to brake hard, you'll probably fail since it's not just bad for the eco part, but also for the planning ahead and behavior part. The examiner also goes a lot by how it felt. If they felt at ease, you'll probably pass, which probably means that you did alright. They do consider people being nervous about the test, driving a car you are not used to and so on. Unless they suck, that is.

It's the same in Denmark, pass/fail on its most basic level is decided on applied knowledge of traffic laws, but you also have to display that you are smoothly and confidently in control of your vehicle at all times, and that you know how to look ahead and anticipate traffic conditions. New and nervous drivers are of course given a bit of leeway, but they can be pretty harsh on anyone who has to retake the test.

I aced my driving test when I had to retake it, obviously :smug: The examiner even said so, he had absolutely no remarks at all. So it's not like the test is impossible, but it is difficult.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
So what's with motorcyclists dying lots more in cities than car drivers do? Is that the cars' fault and I can't do anything about it if I get a cycle or are cyclists idiots or both?

some texas redneck posted:

gently caress new money cities, gently caress them so hard.

That's just snowbird season down in Florida. New money, old money, no money, they're all the same. Then they move down to retire until their eyesight is so bad they aren't really sure where the median is. I think a clocked one of the younger specimens doing 55mph on the highway once, which had to set an all time high record. No wonder we have a big street racing subculture in south/central FLto compensate.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DeusExMachinima posted:

So what's with motorcyclists dying lots more in cities than car drivers do? Is that the cars' fault and I can't do anything about it if I get a cycle or are cyclists idiots or both?

:can:

But basically, they are all idiots. No form of transportation is without its many, many idiotic users.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

The average motorcyclist is under-skilled and under-geared. The average driver is also under-skilled and chronically inattentive in an environment that requires constant awareness (driving city streets). Combine those with the vulnerability of a rider's position and it's not too surprising.

But if you take a training course, get a small displacement bike, wear gear, and ride sober, you are taking yourself out of the statistically risky group. That is, people getting in fatal bike accidents are overwhelming wearing insufficient gear, riding a bike that's probably too big for them, unskilled, and often intoxicated.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Cops here in New Bedford are just getting new Taurus and Explorers to replace their decrepit fleet of Vics and old 90s era Explorers. Now I have seen five with different officers behind the wheel driving around with no lights on at night over last weekend. I didn't flash high's at them because hooboy they could write you a nice ticket for that if they wanted. I just laughed about it and said they might be trolling for idiots to do that :(

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
I'm getting rid of my vintage MG and getting a used BMW; driving the MG people either nearly hit me because they weren't paying attention, or they were really good about letting me out, not tailgating and basically being nice. I'm worried that people will be dicks when I'm in the BMW, but at least it's a rather safer car for an idiot to hit me in.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Vindolanda posted:

I'm getting rid of my vintage MG and getting a used BMW; driving the MG people either nearly hit me because they weren't paying attention, or they were really good about letting me out, not tailgating and basically being nice. I'm worried that people will be dicks when I'm in the BMW, but at least it's a rather safer car for an idiot to hit me in.
They will be dicks, I don't drive a BMW but this is the only thing I miss about driving a relatively bland Oldsmobile.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Entrance ramps with no timid drivers are an awesome thing. Even on fairly short ones with my crummy jeep with 250k miles on the motor I can easily be doing 80 by the time I have to merge if it's straight or 60-70 if it's curved like a normal ramp. I've never seen a ramp I can't maintain at least 45 through.

So slow drivers annoy me when they screw me over and leave me trying to merge from a dead stop right at the end of the ramp because they decided that yield sign was actually a stop sign.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Oh god, I had one of those this morning and almost got sandwiched between a lorry stuck in the inside lane and the car that was trying to edge back past me as the slip road shrank down to one lane (sorry for overtaking your dawdling rear end at the top I guess? :confused:). Person at the front of the line suddenly slammed on the anchors from ~65mph despite there being at least 100m of empty lane infront and behind them.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

nsaP posted:

Congratulations on your new stealth device! Car drivers will never see you again! I personally have had an old lady run through a stop sign without even hinting at slowing down and almost hit me, and I've had a cop pull onto a highway from a stop sign directly in front of me, fun times.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I know I have seen plenty of assholes on motorcycles, Japanese bikes that can do 150MPH+ seem to love going that speed regardless of weather or traffic. Not long ago, I was cut off by a Harley downtown, the biker was embarrassed and flustered, and pissed off, he pulled up in the right lane at the next red light, I arrived beside him, he waited until the light turned green and proceeded to do a very long burn out before cutting me off again. Since he was going well above the speed of all the traffic around him, he wove between a couple cars, then came to two cars side by side, and swerved into oncoming traffic forcing the oncoming driver to lock up their brakes and honk their horn. Thanks to the stop lights, I once again pulled up almost beside him. There was a turning lane, then his lane, and my lane, as soon as the left arrow turned green he decided he had to cut off a dump truck and that was the last I saw of him.

Oh, and there was one time in town when a bunch of bikers in their club decided to stop traffic to do doughnuts in the middle of the interstate to mark the spot where one of their riders was killed in an accident. :downs:

kastein posted:

Entrance ramps with no timid drivers are an awesome thing. Even on fairly short ones with my crummy jeep with 250k miles on the motor I can easily be doing 80 by the time I have to merge if it's straight or 60-70 if it's curved like a normal ramp. I've never seen a ramp I can't maintain at least 45 through.

So slow drivers annoy me when they screw me over and leave me trying to merge from a dead stop right at the end of the ramp because they decided that yield sign was actually a stop sign.

At this on ramp in Austin, I got stuck behind a car going exactly 15 miles per hour. The traffic was clear, the ramp is maybe a little short but not terrible, there is a whole extra lane for the entering traffic, I do not want to enter the 70mph free way at 15mph, I don't want to get rear ended.

The one type of off ramp that scares me the most is when there is a two-lane frontage road, you get to hurdle yourself down the ramp at 70mph (ok, maybe more like 40 or 50) straight into the path of oncoming traffic. :haw: Luckily, all the times I had to use one of these on or off ramps there has never been oncoming traffic. Despite the fact that I know they have a big sign telling the to yield to the ramps, if I'm on the interstate chances are I've been driving with assholes all day long and I don't particularly want to trust someone to know what that yield sign is for.

Also, what is up with LA and on ramps? The last time I was there, I remember seeing a ramp with a light at the end that would flash from red to green, I had no loving clue what that meant. It seemed like it would be red for 5 seconds, green for 1 second, I remember the pattern was really short. What am I supposed to do to not be an rear end in a top hat if I am ever in LA again? Do those lights actually work to improve traffic?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Colonel Sanders posted:

Also, what is up with LA and on ramps? The last time I was there, I remember seeing a ramp with a light at the end that would flash from red to green, I had no loving clue what that meant. It seemed like it would be red for 5 seconds, green for 1 second, I remember the pattern was really short. What am I supposed to do to not be an rear end in a top hat if I am ever in LA again? Do those lights actually work to improve traffic?

What you would normally do at a traffic light, stop on red, go go go on green. :v:

We have them in some places in the UK too, but by the time they come on the motorway is already at a crawl so you can't play race driver and book it the whole way down the slip road. :(

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

What you would normally do at a traffic light, stop on red, go go go on green. :v:

I'm pretty sure I never saw that working the correct way when I was in LA, and the pattern was far too short. Can I really trust a stop light instead of actually looking over into the lane for an open spot? It just seems like a bad idea in my opinion.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Colonel Sanders posted:

They're meant to regulate the amount of traffic entering the freeways at peak hours, if that wasn't obvious. Most of them are meant to allow 1 car through per green, per lane.

Worse yet are the entrances on the oldest freeways like the 110, where you've got a stop sign at the end of the ramp, 50-70 mph traffic, and about 30 feet (if you're lucky) after the stop sign to merge. All of that with tight, blind corners and concrete walls and barriers with pretty much no shoulder makes for fun times!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Colonel Sanders posted:

I'm pretty sure I never saw that working the correct way when I was in LA, and the pattern was far too short. Can I really trust a stop light instead of actually looking over into the lane for an open spot? It just seems like a bad idea in my opinion.

I'm in the Bay Area for work right now, yesterday I tried taking 101 to the office from my hotel (big mistake :suicide:) and there was a similar light at the onramp that was working in a similar fashion. It was cycling from red to green and back so rapidly that by the time I stopped at the line it was green, and by the time I started accelerating when it turned green it was already red by the time I drove through it. Seems like a stop/yield sign would have the same effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

Worse yet are the entrances on the oldest freeways like the 110, where you've got a stop sign at the end of the ramp, 50-70 mph traffic, and about 30 feet (if you're lucky) after the stop sign to merge. All of that with tight, blind corners and concrete walls and barriers with pretty much no shoulder makes for fun times!

Now compress that down so you have an entrance or exit every block, on both sides of the lanes. That's the Chicago loop and is the only patch of road I've driven on that makes me question my driving abilities.

http://goo.gl/maps/0dXP5

Just look at that. :stare: