Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah when you think about it the fake token was supplied in the box and using it was probably detrimental in terms of the metagame but Sangmin seemed to put on the act for his own amusement more than anything (and because it made for a great BIG PLAY on TV :v:). Guy has the time of his life being a snake.

Related to that, anyone know the music that was playing during the fake token reveal? It won't get out of my head.

Also there's always a chance that Doohee will come back playing a role as an eliminated contestant later on. Have fun Jiwon :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Regarding the main match basically Dohee was going to lose whether or not Yohwan traded the alliance his bomb. They showed Jiwon using Dohee's ID for a trade, meaning he had access to Dohee's cards, meaning worst case scenario, the alliance gives Dohee two bombs via trade and he ends up automatically death matched when the game ends.

Basically keeping his card meant guaranteeing he gets eliminated this week no matter what, so I don't believe anyone had any intention of giving it back to him.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I would say that Sangmin giving Doohee the fake totem wasn't a stupid move but it didn't really help him at all, whereas I could definitely foresee a situation where he was able to use the fake totem in order to convince someone else to help him win that week's game. Which, combined with the real totem would basically guarantee survival for two further weeks.

Also, I love the fact that the Korean AV Club has comments that get tens of thousands of upvotes.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

If nothing else, surely this controversy has made many people aware of the Genius, and thereby guaranteed us at least a couple more seasons.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Controversy gets things canceled in Korea though!

Also if you like Kim Gura your opinion definitely sucks :colbert:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Shakugan posted:

If nothing else, surely this controversy has made many people aware of the Genius, and thereby guaranteed us at least a couple more seasons.

I really don't think anyone that doesn't watch this show has any idea that anything happened in Korea.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Donkay NOoo posted:

Controversy gets things canceled in Korea though!

Also if you like Kim Gura your opinion definitely sucks :colbert:

I like him because he does the bad guy thing so well and it makes the good guys look even better. Sometimes you need that dude you hate!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I liked Gura fine at first but as his followers stopped blindly following him he got kind of bitter and seemed to start sulking. His reaction to the paper rock scissors between Jinho and Poong to decide who left the village was just weird. I didn't think he was a bad guy, he didn't do anything particularly vile and he did pull off some cool moves, but he kind of withdrew when things stopped going his way.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
About Sangmin:
Was Sangmin's clue really that powerful? We have no indication that he even knew what his clue meant until Yohwan straight up asked if he got a password for a safe. The Street Sign clue seems equally powerful to me. Also Yohwan is the worst player and politician dude is secretly the best. Politician dude states cutthroat strategies all the time but nobody ever really thinks about him as anything but a nice and clueless older guy. I trust Sangmin's judgment of him.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Fast Luck posted:

I liked Gura fine at first but as his followers stopped blindly following him he got kind of bitter and seemed to start sulking. His reaction to the paper rock scissors between Jinho and Poong to decide who left the village was just weird. I didn't think he was a bad guy, he didn't do anything particularly vile and he did pull off some cool moves, but he kind of withdrew when things stopped going his way.

Yeah, why did he basically volunteer to get kicked off? He just seemed super mad when things didn't go his way but he seemed like a reall strong game player at first. Maybe he was dealing with personal poo poo at the time or something.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Soylentbits posted:

About Sangmin:
Was Sangmin's clue really that powerful? We have no indication that he even knew what his clue meant until Yohwan straight up asked if he got a password for a safe. The Street Sign clue seems equally powerful to me. Also Yohwan is the worst player and politician dude is secretly the best. Politician dude states cutthroat strategies all the time but nobody ever really thinks about him as anything but a nice and clueless older guy. I trust Sangmin's judgment of him.

Can you name some examples for the old guy? Genuinely curious.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Davincie posted:

Can you name some examples for the old guy? Genuinely curious.

He's just a lovable old scamp. :allears: Sunbae

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Soylentbits posted:

About Sangmin:

It doesn't matter whether he knew the importance or not. You can't open the safe without the combination. A person could have every single other clue and still not be able to open it. So yeah, it's decisive even if the person who had that clue (ie always sangmin because of cheap producer fuckery) never knew about the safe because they'd be denying immunity to someone else, minimum.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

redreader posted:

Yeah, why did he basically volunteer to get kicked off? He just seemed super mad when things didn't go his way but he seemed like a reall strong game player at first. Maybe he was dealing with personal poo poo at the time or something.

Honestly I think his only strength was the rest of the cast looked up to him so much as the most famous dude so he could order people around. When people started to see through it and realize he's just a big baby surprise surprise, he started to act like a big sulky baby.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The producers should have realized that while what was happening wasn't a violation of the letter of the rules, the majority alliance was manipulating the game in an unpleasant way.

Luckily, there would have been a solution here: issue Doohee a new ID card but allow the stolen one to remain in play. Then it returns to a game of trust and people manipulation.

Anyway, I just hate it when individuals are targeted without a strategic reason. I hated it when Eunkyul did it, and I hated it in this episode as well. Not even just the theft which was lucky, but the deathmatch backstab is really pretty personal IF the phone call story is true.

Also, Lee "Boston Rob" Sangmin owns.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Radix posted:

It doesn't matter whether he knew the importance or not. You can't open the safe without the combination. A person could have every single other clue and still not be able to open it. So yeah, it's decisive even if the person who had that clue (ie always sangmin because of cheap producer fuckery) never knew about the safe because they'd be denying immunity to someone else, minimum.

I was just so pissed off on how Yohwan totally botched dealing with Sangmin regarding the safe, like it seemed so obvious that Sangmin was being super-evasive and would totally screw you over. And then again with negotiating with the alliance. Like, Doohee was sad but it was obvious that he was totally out of his depth anyway. Yohwan keeps on almost doing something smart and coming out ahead but then just goes on autopilot and lets the other side of the table run with things.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was just so pissed off on how Yohwan totally botched dealing with Sangmin regarding the safe, like it seemed so obvious that Sangmin was being super-evasive and would totally screw you over. And then again with negotiating with the alliance. Like, Doohee was sad but it was obvious that he was totally out of his depth anyway. Yohwan keeps on almost doing something smart and coming out ahead but then just goes on autopilot and lets the other side of the table run with things.

There wasn't a much better plan for Yohwan though - multiple people knew about the location of the safe, so even if Sangmin couldn't find it simply by searching, it was only a matter of time until he or Jiwon figured out where it was from someone else, either being told or walking in on/noticing fuckery with the shelf at some point. And there was no way for Yohwan to open it. His only choice was really to just hope Sangmin throws him a bone for revealing it quickly when asked. If the alliance wasn't in place he could have kept it secret in the hope of knocking Sangmin out quickly before he found it, but that really doesn't seem like a smart strategy the way things have gone in S2 so far.

Main game stuff was really dumb though.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I just finished the first season. The only thing I didn't like was some of the death match games, and the fact that they reused them a bunch. Especially rock paper scissors. Kyung Ran :swoon: Just call gyul! nooo!

Elysium fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 16, 2014

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

GraPar posted:

Also, I love the fact that the Korean AV Club has comments that get tens of thousands of upvotes.

Got a link?

Midrena
May 2, 2009

JakeP posted:

I really don't think anyone that doesn't watch this show has any idea that anything happened in Korea.

I took Shakugan's comment to mean that more people in S.Korea would know about the game, increasing its viewership and thus giving us more seasons.

Fast Luck posted:

[Gura's] reaction to the paper rock scissors between Jinho and Poong to decide who left the village was just weird.

redreader posted:

When I watched that episode the first time, I was confused too, but rewatching it as well as rewatching the next episode (where they talked about what happened in flashbacks), I was given to understand that it had been Gura's turn to switch from one room to the other -- the team had established/decided on an order of who switches when, based on the assumption that they would still be able to control the burglar. They hosed that up, obviously, because they allowed the 'minority team' to suddenly be the majority vote in the big room, but still. It was Gura's turn to switch, and when it came down to it, Jinho and Poong suddenly wanted to fight him for the chance to save themselves. I can understand that, given that they realized how the round was going to end, but I totally get why Gura was annoyed. Everybody had decided that things were going to go in XYZ order, but then his team mates were now going to RockPaperScissor him for it? He felt cheated, which is why he was so bitter.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 16, 2014

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not gonna lie, one of my favorite parts of this season is finding out how Yohwan is going to gently caress up each week.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

Midrena posted:

I took Shakugan's comment to mean that more people in S.Korea would know about the game, increasing its viewership and thus giving us more seasons.

When I watched that episode the first time, I was confused too, but rewatching it as well as rewatching the next episode (where they talked about what happened in flashbacks), I was given to understand that it had been Gura's turn to switch from one room to the other -- the team had established/decided on an order of who switches when, based on the assumption that they would still be able to control the burglar. They hosed that up, obviously, because they allowed the 'minority team' to suddenly be the majority vote in the big room, but still. It was Gura's turn to switch, and when it came down to it, Jinho and Poong suddenly wanted to fight him for the chance to save themselves. I can understand that, given that they realized how the round was going to end, but I totally get why Gura was annoyed. Everybody had decided that things were going to go in XYZ order, but then his team mates were now going to RockPaperScissor him for it? He felt cheated, which is why he was so bitter.

Well yeah but it was his own drat fault he lost the game. He should have stayed in the big village, and he was the one who insisted on moving and giving the other team the advantage. After he did that the game was lost to him anyway. He was being a big dumb baby because he knew it was his fault.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Elijah Snow posted:

Well yeah but it was his own drat fault he lost the game. He should have stayed in the big village, and he was the one who insisted on moving and giving the other team the advantage. After he did that the game was lost to him anyway. He was being a big dumb baby because he knew it was his fault.

Well yeah no poo poo things didn't turn out his way. They asked why he looked like he was giving up/so mad, I explained why because I, too, once had the same question and then later realized why he was angrier / more bitter than seemed warranted.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Tonfa posted:

Related to that, anyone know the music that was playing during the fake token reveal? It won't get out of my head.

Wahad posted:

I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said, so I'll just add that whatever flaws the program might have, the music is still loving excellent, like the song they picked for the Sangmin safe reveal.

There ya go buddy! I really hope the big alliance breaks up in the next episode. All we need is one traitor and an alliance member being killed and it's 3 on 3!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

via UnKooL on teamliquid:

quote:

Genius producers officially apologized for the ID card theft and say its all their fault. Nothing important in the article except they say they will be more strict on rules like theft.
source: http://news.nate.com/view/20140116n21865

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Just caught up with watching every episode, starting with the first season. Season 2 Episode 6 thoughts: So, I don't think the producers should be considered "at fault," or that they necessarily should have intervened to get Doohee's ID back...someone here already made a good point that the definition of "stealing" in the game is super-stretchy, especially when someone leaves their stuff lying around. Points for debate on this topic could be the fact that he didn't LOSE his ID per se (he knew exactly where he left his ID and he was in fact right there in the room when they took it) and the fact that this was the first time someone just could not play the game at all because of an item's disappearance. But I can also see why the producers took no measures to stop it; doing so could limit the creativity of the players. For example, say Doohee came up with an awesome, winning strategy that involved him HIDING his ID so that Jinho or Yohwan could secretly use it to trade cards...if Jiwon happened to find that hidden ID and take it, you would have the EXACT same scenario with Doohee unable to play because someone "stole" his deliberately placed ID. Yet, in this hypothetical example, Jiwon dicking him over like that would be totally fine with me, and I'd be pissed if the producers intervened because they consider it "theft."

What is NOT for debate, in my mind, is that Jiwon is a complete rear end in a top hat. First of all, whether it was technically allowed by the rules to take the ID for the whole game, he shouldn't have. It was unsportsmanlike and just a nasty strategy to ensure he went to the death match. It would have been far more interesting for everyone (the TV audience and the players) to eliminate him by actually playing the game. Even in season 1, when everyone ganged up against Jinho in the Open Pass game by not telling him about the colored cards, they didn't steal his cards to make sure he would lose (note:this led to the probably the best moment in the entire series). And again, every OTHER time someone stole something, they returned it (this image bears repeating: http://i.imgur.com/nW1e2lS.jpg ) Jiwon basically said "gently caress it, I'm not as cool as all those people." Did Jiwon have some sort of vendetta against Doohee for some reason? The five-man alliance already sort of had Yohwan in their trap, so did they really NEED to completely gently caress Doohee over so ruthlessly? And no I don't believe whatever BS about it being just a joke that went out of control and that he's sorry. He could have ended it at any time; even negotiating for immunity or garnets would have been OK. Stealing the ID was just a dick thing to do.

But what REALLY pushed it over the line was when he was "so so sorry" and then broke his promise to press Green for Doohee. I DO think Doohee was stupid to make such a big request of Jiwon--but if Jiwon were really sorry, he wouldn't have promised poo poo. He could have just said "I'm sorry, but I can't betray Yooyoung, I'll just guess whether you crossed the line or not." Would have been totally OK in my book. Now it just seems like he couldn't stand the thought of Doohee sticking around. And then the thing about the phone call IRL on top of all that. What a piece of poo poo.

Was Doohee stupid to trust Jiwon in the deathmatch so completely? Was crying an overreaction? Could he maybe have tried to broker a deal for his ID earlier? Yes yes and yes. But regardless, this episode really just showed that Jiwon is a ruthless turd whose personality just doesn't mesh with what makes The Genius so enjoyable. The best moments in the series all stem from just the right combination of game mechanics and social dynamics; Jiwon's style of play made the episode SOLELY about social alliances and that lead to a (mostly) boring and hosed TV viewing experience.

Sangmin however was great. I dunno if it was the smartest plan to promise/reveal the fake idol so early, but his idol-searching antics in the beginning of the show was by far the highlight. Judging by how retarded Yohwan is, Jinho is screwed if that's his only potential ally now.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Sangmin doesn't promise to help then not help, which makes him an awesome villain in my books. When the magician guy asked for his help and Sangmin didn't intend to help he said "I hope you can work it out using magic."

If there's a game in future where eliminated players come back Eunkyul might respect Sangmin for not lying to him, whereas Duhee (and maybe other eliminated people who didn't appreciate the underhanded strategy) is gonna do everything possible to ruin Jiwon/Yooyoung.

EDIT: It's also hard to blame Sangmin for the fake token as it was given to him along with the real one specifically for a betrayal.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 16, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A "joke gone too far" is literally what high schoolers say when they're brought to the principal's office for bullying.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
The phone call from Jiwon to Doohee IRL was hosed up. The other stuff during eps. 6 could be argued as unsportsmanlike conduct, but lying to people outside of the game and effecting their judgement is really cruel. Also the end speech Doohee made before leaving about how many time's hes been betrayed financially and in the business world, but not letting that create an evil view of the world really struck a chord. I guess pessimistic people would say its a sign of being naive, but to put your trust into people and get repeatedly betrayed, especially regarding money, and try to keep a positive attitude is pretty hard.

dundun fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 17, 2014

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Does anyone know when this latest episode was recorded and also how many episodes have been recorded in advance? I'm curious to see how the celebrity team is going to act after this backlash.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

God, the more I think about it, the more I want Jinho to just go to the deathmatch every time and still manage to win, taking out the Alliance one by one, Kill Bill style. Yohwan can help him and then they have a showdown in the finals to prove who is the true Genius Master of Games.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Subbed Jinho appearance on a radio show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boe2fezIcQw

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Just watched it, and my opinion on it is like most, I think it was obviously stealing, and criticisms of Doohee for not securing his card are really missing the point, and like blaming the victim for not locking their door or something; I don't think you should really have to worry about such things in an informal game setting such as this, it's not really a skill they are testing. Misplacing things before this was more comic relief.

The main game sucked as a result, and I think the game could have been very interesting, players being able to trade cards to use a proxy to gain a monopoly is a great method for betrayal to occur, and instead we got that drama. I only watch this for the games, it will make me lose interest if the games are uninteresting.

It's kind of funny, but since I read the spoilers, I was kind of mad at Doohee more than anyone for falling for it, really reminded me of the Liar Game, and kind of crumbling on screen; but other than approaching the producer to give him a new one, I don't know what he could have done

Perhaps season 1 was saved by destroying Minsoo and Gura's influence early; because letting alliances stay together naturally leads to this situation? I am not familiar with how it worked on other shows as this is the first reality competition that I've watched.

Femur fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 17, 2014

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Femur posted:

Perhaps season 1 was saved by destroying Minsoo and Gura's influence early; because letting alliances stay together naturally leads to this situation? I am not familiar with how it worked on other shows as this is the first reality competition that I've watched.

Generally what you would want to do when one alliance starts taking over like this is to build your own or undermine theirs, which can be easier than it sounds. This is why people here have been frustrated with the non-broadcasters for sniping each other out when it was clear a long-term alliance started forming within the broadcaster clique.

When "Whodunnit?" was making the rounds here for being a weirdly compelling trainwreck of a reality competition, part of what really fascinated me about it was this group of four players who formed an alliance very early and just used it to crush everyone else for the entirety of the show. Even though they were outnumbered for most of it, the other players were just so bad at basic reality show formula that the 4-player alliance dominated almost every episode.

Compared to that this season is nowhere near as one sided, and I think it'll get better before it gets worse.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
For a less lengthy Jinho piece than the radio appearance above, here's him ruining 20 questions. :v:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47JlT5-UQM

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Insurrectionist posted:

For a less lengthy Jinho piece than the radio appearance above, here's him ruining 20 questions. :v:

Dammit Jinho, stop breaking every game in the world :argh:... :allears:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I remember doing stuff like that in that game Guess Who. "Does the name have an 'e' in it?" I mean I was like 10yo but I was such a dork I figured out questions to ask to eliminate 50% of the people each turn. Although that's not necessarily a path to victory since more ambitious questions can eliminate a lot of people and get you there faster. Thanks for listening.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Fast Luck posted:

I remember doing stuff like that in that game Guess Who. "Does the name have an 'e' in it?" I mean I was like 10yo but I was such a dork I figured out questions to ask to eliminate 50% of the people each turn. Although that's not necessarily a path to victory since more ambitious questions can eliminate a lot of people and get you there faster. Thanks for listening.

I think there is actually a serious Guess Who community out there

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Look Jinho, when you're playing a friendly game you don't use those kinds of strategies. Save them for when there's money on the line.

JakeP posted:

I think there is actually a serious Guess Who community out there

I would be genuinely shocked if someone has not worked out optimal Guess Who strategy.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

NowonSA posted:

There ya go buddy! I really hope the big alliance breaks up in the next episode. All we need is one traitor and an alliance member being killed and it's 3 on 3!

I was talking about a different reveal, not Sangmin opening the safe. The music I want kicks in when Doohee finds out his token is fake