Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is a period piece just something set in the past or is everyone just forgetting 12 Years a Slave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think I might be a little insane because I found the action in the Transformers movies to be comparatively easier to follow than Pacific Rim's. The robots and monsters had neat designs but it felt like they were cutting a few corners by setting a lot of the fights in the dark with a lot of rain.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The real issue was the first Transformers losing its Oscar to The Golden Compass. I saw the latter and it did not look all that amazing. Apparently the studio who did the effects was shut down after the movie failed?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DStecks posted:

If you thought Pacific Rim has bad design, congrats on having awful taste I guess.

If you thought Pacific Rim has good design, congrats on having awful taste I guess.

See what a lovely meaningless post this is?

In general, I just don't see it. All the monsters bled together and had no personality. The fact that at the end of the movie the big monster showed up and I couldn't' really tell that it wasn't a monster we had seen before was a bit of a problem. The robots were a bit better but they still looked far less interesting than the most uninspired design from something like Real Steel. The costumes were just typical Mass Effect style high tech body suits and the only location I really remember was Tokyo, which while nice, isn't something something I think is worthy of a nomination over what was actually nominated.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Glad we've reached the yearly Cognitive Dissonance Power Hour where we're both really mad that our pet nerd movies didn't get nominated while also smugly superior over how little the Oscars matter and how few people actually care about them.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Glad we've reached the yearly Cognitive Dissonance Power Hour where we're both really mad that our pet nerd movies didn't get nominated while also smugly superior over how little the Oscars matter and how few people actually care about them.

I never said a thing about the Oscars being insignificant. Mostly because they objectively aren't.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That's a good name for a podcast (that I would never listen to)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Back to (possibly) bad movies coming out, I saw the trailer to Walk of Shame and I wanted to like it but every single joke in the trailer just felt soooooo flat.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm going to non-angrily ask what happened to Blue is the Warmest Color, or if there was a reason it didn't qualify for Best Foreign Language Film.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Christmas Jones posted:

I'm going to non-angrily ask what happened to Blue is the Warmest Color, or if there was a reason it didn't qualify for Best Foreign Language Film.

Has the academy ever nominated an NC-17 movie? I think that's probably a pretty big factor in it not getting nominated.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Christmas Jones posted:

Released in fall in France, which made it ineligible under Oscar rules. loving hate that rule because Blue Is The Warmest Color deserved something, either Best Foreign Film at the GGs or at the AAs, and it sucks that it got snubbed in one and isn't even in contention in another.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Your money at work:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tars Tarkas posted:

Your money at work:

I am so glad that I'm not seeing this at Sundance and kind of depressed that it's likely gonna be so popular that seeing it will be hard.

It is James Avery's last role though. It really sucks that he isn't even listed on the poster.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

axleblaze posted:

Has the academy ever nominated an NC-17 movie? I think that's probably a pretty big factor in it not getting nominated.

Well Midnight Cowboy winning three awards is one of the primary causes NC-17 even exists instead of X so I doubt that matters.

*not by itself and not immediately, just that link between award winning cinema and X causing them to create a bridge for "Artsy" stuff

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Sweeney Tom posted:

Released in fall in France, which made it ineligible under Oscar rules. loving hate that rule because Blue Is The Warmest Color deserved something, either Best Foreign Film at the GGs or at the AAs, and it sucks that it got snubbed in one and isn't even in contention in another.

I was expecting an odd rule to have disqualified it, but not quite that odd. What the hell?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Your money at work:

Thought that was Casey Affleck. Relieved that I was wrong.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So Fruitvale Station was snubbed by the Oscars? Of course.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I can't believe the Academy snubbed Toei Productions' magnificent achievement of cinema, Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider: Gaim & Wizard: the Fateful Sengoku Movie Battle. :mad:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sweeney Tom posted:

Wait, so does that mean it's eligible for next year's Oscars, or is it just poo poo out of luck?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DStecks posted:

Wait, so does that mean it's eligible for next year's Oscars, or is it just poo poo out of luck?

It's not technically ineligible, but when have you seen films from a full year and a half back nominated for Oscars 2 Oscars after their official release? Especially an NC17 one. Unfortunately I think it's poo poo out of luck.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It seems to have fallen victim to being released too early in the year.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

General Ironicus posted:

I thought everyone got this out of their system the first time it happened.

Didn't he win?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I can't believe the Academy snubbed Toei Productions' magnificent achievement of cinema, Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider: Gaim & Wizard: the Fateful Sengoku Movie Battle. :mad:

You and me both, nakama.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Tars Tarkas posted:

Your money at work:

If this is the kickstarter movie thing I hope Time Heidecker's scene is included.
http://www.avclub.com/article/tim-heidecker-wrote-a-page-of-zach-braffs-director-96996
e: http://www.avclub.com/article/and-now-somebody-has-filmed-tim-heideckers-zach-br-97033

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Instead of getting mad over Oscar snubs I'm just going to be happy that Barkhad Abdi got a nod for Captain Phillips. He did a great job in his first-ever role and I didn't think the Academy would even consider him. Sometimes they get it right.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Brocktoon posted:

Was there really that few animated films that required THE CROODS to be nominated for an Oscar?

Young Freud posted:

Actually, it's this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd3q9fN_JL4

I'm still not seeing it as an Oscar-worthy contender.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, Rio 2096 is actually about immortal people during a future where people are going to war for water. Very few birds.
Now I'm sad that Rio and Puella are no longer in the running because they had the most ridiculously long names and it would be hilarious to hear whomever the Academy sends up on stage say them out loud.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah that one too.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Movie about racism with no white savior for the academy to identify with and live vicariously through?

Yeah.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 17, 2014

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Madkal posted:

Just so you know Norbit is an Oscar winning film.

Also this article from the AV Club about one of the songs that's been nominated is pretty interesting.

I'll have you know that I looked it up and Norbit only got a nomination in at the Academy Awards. It has won several Razzies though (you had me there for a moment).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

DStecks posted:

"Make it look like it's the past" because apparently that's still some kind of accomplishment.

It is, though.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

Transformers got an Oscar nod for visual effects because people showed up to theaters and watched Transformers, and were aware of the visual effects. It doesn't matter how great your visual effects are, if it's in a movie that no one's seen.

The Lone Ranger got nominated for stuff though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Peanut President posted:

The Lone Ranger got nominated for stuff though.

A fair amount of people saw it, its real problem (money-wise, at least) was the incredibly bloated budget.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

I bet you could name at least three people who are in the new Transformers film though.

My fruend Joel

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Healbot posted:

I'll have you know that I looked it up and Norbit only got a nomination in at the Academy Awards. It has won several Razzies though (you had me there for a moment).

Sorry. You are right. Oscar-nominated film Norbit.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh good, it's that time of the year where Meryl Streep gets nominated for starring in a mediocre movie. It's a reflex for the Academy at this point. This Onion article gets truer with each passing year.

Barudak posted:

Jonah Hill is a very good actor at his roles and is definitely Best Supporting Actor Academy Award worthy.

I have a feeling though Jared Leto is going to take it.
I wouldn't be surprised because that would totally fit into the narrative of "Jared Leto is the main character in some teenage girl's fanfiction," as proposed by one Dr. David Thorpe.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/11/jared_leto_is_center_of_universe.php

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 17, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Lone Ranger is a steaming pile BUT the nominations it got were technical, and the film was actually really well constructed on a technical level. The CGI is pretty good, and the sound design was great. I have no problem with the people who worked hard getting a nod, even if the movie they worked on turned out to suck.

If it were nominated for director, script, or picture, then I'd just say flush the Academy down the toilet.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Y-Hat posted:

I wouldn't be surprised because that would totally fit into the narrative of "Jared Leto is the main character in some teenage girl's fanfiction," as proposed by one Dr. David Thorpe.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/11/jared_leto_is_center_of_universe.php

I'm partial to the one about how Bono is Robin Williams' Mary Sue self insert, personally.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Y-Hat posted:

Oh good, it's that time of the year where Meryl Streep gets nominated for starring in a mediocre movie. It's a reflex for the Academy at this point.

My favorite Oscar conspiracy theory this year is Streep attacked Disney so Emma Thompson wouldn't get nominated, thus assuring her a spot

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I know it's fashionable to hate on Meryl Streep now, but while I haven't seen August: Osage County, I have read the play and I have very little doubt Streep could knock that role out of the park.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I know it's fashionable to hate on Meryl Streep now, but while I haven't seen August: Osage County, I have read the play and I have very little doubt Streep could knock that role out of the park.

I do feel alot of the hate in general is coming from people that didn't see that movie because really, who in here actually saw that movie?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think it's just oversaturation of Streep in regards to the Oscars and a tendency to root for underdogs. She's like the Oscars' New England Patriots except not undeniably evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

weekly font posted:

She's like the Oscars' New England Patriots except not undeniably evil.

101 Dalmations is a documentary.

• Locked thread