Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They had an episode where past rangers existed, so it's not like they're breaking a sacred rule when the MMPR crew was the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tae posted:

They had an episode where past rangers existed, so it's not like they're breaking a sacred rule when the MMPR crew was the first.

Saying "everything that hasn't appeared in an American series is from a pre-MMPR team" doesn't really work for Dairanger - their costumes are very similar to the MMPR White ranger and the helmets have the same animal designs as the S2 zords.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zonekeeper posted:

Saying "everything that hasn't appeared in an American series is from a pre-MMPR team" doesn't really work for Dairanger - their costumes are very similar to the MMPR White ranger and the helmets have the same animal designs as the S2 zords.

"Billy found some ancient text and based it off that." It's really not as complicated as you guys are making it out to be. The lore isn't what kids care about.

The stupid, terrible sound effects is a far bigger crime than any lore being broken.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
All the old suits are mega-forms for one of the other suits.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This will all be worth it if we see Battle Fever J in Power Rangers.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tae posted:

"Billy found some ancient text and based it off that." It's really not as complicated as you guys are making it out to be. The lore isn't what kids care about.

The stupid, terrible sound effects is a far bigger crime than any lore being broken.

You're right, but you can't just say that the kids won't notice the inconsistencies these days - between wikis and streaming video little kids can binge an entire series easily and know every little detail about them. If a kid is really in to Power Rangers, there is nothing stopping them from watching every single episode from the past 20 years. Anecdotal non-PR example - By the age of 10 my little sister had watched half the shows I watched as a kid in their entirety thanks to Netflix. (She didn't even have to wait a week between episodes or sit through commercials either!)

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I don't know man, maybe you should tell your little sister that it's called Doki Doki Panic in Japan. Problem solved.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I don't know man, maybe you should tell your little sister that it's called Doki Doki Panic in Japan. Problem solved.

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I was just trying to give an example of why you can't assume the target audience won't notice these things. I was making the point that kids have an insane level of access to old TV shows.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I just mean that it's not that important. Anybody that cares enough will know.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

My little nephew actually started with Power Rangers, but found out about sentai and is now a fanatic. He knows all the teams and actually already watched Gokaiger. He still loves his Power Rangers though and is VERY excited for Super Megaforce because he can finally buy the toys. :allears: So yeah unlike adults kids just don't give a gently caress and can look past stuff. :v:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zonekeeper posted:

When it comes to adapting sentai to Power Rangers "doesn't really work" is good enough as long as you don't call attention to it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
God everything in the last couple of years leads me to conclude 2 things; Saban needs to fire Tzachor(it's telling that even his name sounds like a villain name) and they need to break their contract with Nickelodeon(if they don't they are gonna be screwed as the time gap between Japan and the US increases)

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Go-Busters owns, but Shinkenger owns slightly harder. Tolerate the poo poo subs and watch it.

I finished Shinkenger last night and have to disagree. The appeal of Go Busters for me was that it kind of subverted some of the tropes of Sentai/PR shows - monsters didn't die and suddenly become huge, the big bad wasn't a guy in a rubber suit, the giant robots made a bit of sense, etc. Shinkenger was good, but it fell into all of those tropes, and the sixth ranger and his annoying loving lantern thing didn't help. The final fight with Juzo was cool, and I did enjoy the bait-and-switch with Takeru, but it was nowhere near Go Busters for me.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Its been a while since I've seen Go-busters, but I distinctly remember all of those things happening. Plus Shinkenger only had one annoying ranger versus five on Go-busters.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

JT Smiley posted:

Its been a while since I've seen Go-busters, but I distinctly remember all of those things happening. Plus Shinkenger only had one annoying ranger versus five on Go-busters.

You're out of your mind if you think any of the Go-Busters were annoying, especially Green Hippo. :colbert:

Plus, he's right. Messiah was always a a virtual skull until he possessed a megazord in the episode he was destroyed in, and Enter had a combat form he didn't even use until about 3/4ths of the way through the show. The megazords were always separate entities from the smaller ones, and they were almost all based on the two types of giant robots from the lab in hyperspace.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

I finished Shinkenger last night and have to disagree. The appeal of Go Busters for me was that it kind of subverted some of the tropes of Sentai/PR shows - monsters didn't die and suddenly become huge, the big bad wasn't a guy in a rubber suit, the giant robots made a bit of sense, etc. Shinkenger was good, but it fell into all of those tropes, and the sixth ranger and his annoying loving lantern thing didn't help. The final fight with Juzo was cool, and I did enjoy the bait-and-switch with Takeru, but it was nowhere near Go Busters for me.
Takeru is a legitimately compelling and fascinating character, which is amazing because he spends half his screentime swinging plastic toys around.

To make an analogy, I feel that Shinkenger is basically Ocarina of Time, while Go-Busters is more like Majora's Mask.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Takeru is a legitimately compelling and fascinating character, which is amazing because he spends half his screentime swinging plastic toys around.

To make an analogy, I feel that Shinkenger is basically Ocarina of Time, while Go-Busters is more like Majora's Mask.

That is an incredibly nerdy analogy that I am 100% behind, because Majora's Mask was one of my favourite games ever made.

I have to admit I did enjoy Takeru a lot. He didn't get weighed down by too much hero pathos bullshit, and he kept his aloofness pretty much throughout.

Go Busters was amazing, though. gently caress I miss Beet J Stag.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SpazmasterX posted:

You're out of your mind if you think any of the Go-Busters were annoying, especially Green Hippo. :colbert:

Wow, I didn't realize it until just now that I was thinking of Go-onger. I take back everything I said, Go-busters was awesome.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Doggles posted:

Preview of the next season of Super Sentai:

http://herotaku.com/blog/1/entry-10367-ressha-sentai-tokkyuger-revealed-updated-with-toy-catalogue-pics/

Immediately makes me think of this:

This is going to be either the dopest poo poo or the dumbest poo poo.

Choo Choo Power Rangers!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That is one neon green Tokkyuger, man.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The morphers (can we call them that with Sentai? Changers? Henshin Devices?) look REALLY big and bulky. I'm not sure how I feel about it

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I am seriously curious how they are going to adapt that for american audiences.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

The morphers (can we call them that with Sentai? Changers? Henshin Devices?) look REALLY big and bulky. I'm not sure how I feel about it

Choo-Choo Changers.

The upcoming Dino Samba vs Go Busters movie looks insane, too. Not only will the Go Busters be appearing, but also the other two Dino based teams. And their megazords. gently caress yeah.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

JT Smiley posted:

I am seriously curious how they are going to adapt that for american audiences.
Something something Rail Rangers something Grand Central megazord something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Coq au Nandos posted:

Choo-Choo Changers.

The upcoming Dino Samba vs Go Busters movie looks insane, too. Not only will the Go Busters be appearing, but also the other two Dino based teams. And their megazords. gently caress yeah.

I've just been calling it Kyoryuger vs Dino Sentai and oh yeah I guess the Go-Busters cameo in it too

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Zedd posted:

Something something Rail Rangers something Grand Central megazord something.

Looking forward to one of the rangers using the incorrect fare to board their zord and getting savagely beaten by a ticket inspector.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Coq au Nandos posted:

Looking forward to one of the rangers using the incorrect fare to board their zord and getting savagely beaten by a ticket inspector.

NO TICKET!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Here's a new(?) Super Megaforce TV spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bl9Lc7_E9g

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That shot of all the rangers at the end was just American rangers. What a bummer. Was really looking forward to Battle Fever J being somehow worked into the American show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sockser posted:

That shot of all the rangers at the end was just American rangers. What a bummer. Was really looking forward to Battle Fever J being somehow worked into the American show.

I was looking for the Dairanger suits considering that con promo that made a BIG deal out of them had me intrigued.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I can't believe they're still hanging on to those stupid Goseiger suits. It makes no sense , especially with black transforms into green.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JT Smiley posted:

I can't believe they're still hanging on to those stupid Goseiger suits. It makes no sense , especially with black transforms into green.

I can understand what they're doing. The name of the game is gonna be minimizing Gokaiger footage use, since so much of it is going to be completely useless in America anyway. Unless they're gonna go full-bore "Oh yeah, there are rangers that were never on TV! (unless you're Japanese!)" half the fight scenes from Gokaiger would have to have big chunks cut out of them. By doing Super Megaforce as "Goseiger part 2, with a dash of Gokaiger on top", they can stick to the letter of the contract that mandates an adaption of every sentai series without having to film as much American footage to fill in gaps.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

I can understand what they're doing. The name of the game is gonna be minimizing Gokaiger footage use, since so much of it is going to be completely useless in America anyway. Unless they're gonna go full-bore "Oh yeah, there are rangers that were never on TV! (unless you're Japanese!)" half the fight scenes from Gokaiger would have to have big chunks cut out of them. By doing Super Megaforce as "Goseiger part 2, with a dash of Gokaiger on top", they can stick to the letter of the contract that mandates an adaption of every sentai series without having to film as much American footage to fill in gaps.

They should just go balls out and use footage from the older shows that they never aired the first time round. Bonus points if they manage to work in the Decade crossover into Shinkenger.

"Who's that guy in the pink armour?" "Beats me!"

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

JT Smiley posted:

I wonder how much of Don's antics gets into Super Megaforce

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

I wonder how much of Don's antics gets into Super Megaforce

Jake has a brain tumor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Megaforce Red, who's name I have already forgotten, will NEVER be anyway near as cool as Captain Marvelous. I mean, I guess they could run with the "he's just so cool and collected" and only use Gokai Red footage where he's looking aloof and unconcerned.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It was bad enough to have Tommy's personality change every year with the new costume, but to switch between shows within the same episode is going to give some of these characters pretty horrific mental issues.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

At least they were fortunate Gokai Yellow is also a plucky tomboy, but then again we already expected Gina to be the best character.

Should've went balls out and made her Red, at least get something out of this clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tae posted:

At least they were fortunate Gokai Yellow is also a plucky tomboy, but then again we already expected Gina to be the best character.

Should've went balls out and made her Red, at least get something out of this clusterfuck.

Jake being Gokai Green kinda fits...he's always moving and goofing around. Don's antics aren't too far off from that. Noah as Blue is alright too, since even though Noah isn't SUPER SERIOUS SWORDSMAN, he's quiet and seems very economical in his fighting. Emma isn't girly enough to be Princess Ahim though...