Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Good god. It's even worse than I thought.

I saw one with one of those giant harley-davidson outline stickers on the rear "cab" glass the other day and wanted to vomit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah it's just incredibly obnoxious, all they would have had to do to avoid the problem entirely is move that bracket a half inch in either direction, but no, you gotta pull the fans if you want to remove the alternator.

Related, maybe I'm just dense, but I was trying to remove just the fans on my SG forester this weekend for easier access to the idler pulley, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to actually fit the fan unit between the upper rad hose on the left and the a/c line on the right. I'd gotten all three of the hose clips undone on the bottom, so it wasn't that. Just no amount of wiggling would actually let me pull it up and out.

Luckily I the fans moved around enough that I could line up the space between the fans with the pulley, so I could get a socket on the bolt.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

JBark posted:

Related, maybe I'm just dense, but I was trying to remove just the fans on my SG forester this weekend for easier access to the idler pulley, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to actually fit the fan unit between the upper rad hose on the left and the a/c line on the right. I'd gotten all three of the hose clips undone on the bottom, so it wasn't that. Just no amount of wiggling would actually let me pull it up and out.

Luckily I the fans moved around enough that I could line up the space between the fans with the pulley, so I could get a socket on the bolt.

Did you try pulling it out the bottom? probably have to raise the front end up for enough clearance but that might work, and is totally in-line with engineers' design rationale (or lack of).

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My son sent this picture to me today from the Subaru Dealer he works at.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

daslog posted:

With new 'Pressure Plate Away' you will never have to worry about having to clutch again, simply beat the gently caress out of your pressure plate and throw-out bearing and apply liberally.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

CommieGIR posted:

With new 'Pressure Plate Away' you will never have to worry about having to clutch again, simply beat the gently caress out of your pressure plate and throw-out bearing and apply liberally.

Here is that picture. Can't really tell how bad the throw-out bearing is.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

daslog posted:

How? :psyduck:

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

daslog posted:

I feel like the huge gap on the left side of the bearing and the general off center-ness of the outer helps with determining how worn the bearing is.

The answer is Very.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

daslog posted:

Can't tell from that angle....but it looks kinda off

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Is that what side-stepping the clutch does?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The throwout bearing is probably bouncing around on the munged remains of the (aluminum) input shaft. That's gonna be a fun sleeve kit job for the Junior Launch Control League.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
wait, that input shaft is aluminum? Every time I've looked at one they were through hardened steel, how the hell do you make an aluminum shaft that small hold up to engine torque?

Unless you mean the input bearing retainer/TOB guide, which is almost always either regular old mild steel or in some cases aluminum.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah sorry. The TOB rider/pedestal gets chewed up in the bell housing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
How do you even manage to shatter the pressure plate like that?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
It's easy, you just hold the throttle open with your right foot, hold the brakes completely tight with your left foot, and then drop the clutch as hard as you can using a boot tied to a stick.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Throttle stuck open on the 240 right as I pulled out of my road on to the main one, that was an exciting couple of seconds. Now I'm stuck sitting in a gravel lot 2 miles from home in 20f weather. Goddammit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Throttle stuck open on the 240 right as I pulled out of my road on to the main one, that was an exciting couple of seconds. Now I'm stuck sitting in a gravel lot 2 miles from home in 20f weather. Goddammit.

CIS?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Yeah I thought about it more on the way to work (hooray for backup cars), I think it was the idle air control finally making GBS threads itself. It's been having trouble "catching" the engine when I shift into neutral or push the clutch, it would oscillate between 400-600rpm for a few seconds before smoothing out at 750.

After I got it off the road and restarted it it immediately shot to 2000rpm before slowly dropping to 1200, but as soon as I tapped the throttle and let off it just started climbing straight to redline.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah I thought about it more on the way to work (hooray for backup cars), I think it was the idle air control finally making GBS threads itself. It's been having trouble "catching" the engine when I shift into neutral or push the clutch, it would oscillate between 400-600rpm for a few seconds before smoothing out at 750.

After I got it off the road and restarted it it immediately shot to 2000rpm before slowly dropping to 1200, but as soon as I tapped the throttle and let off it just started climbing straight to redline.

The IAC will cause the stumbling and idle oscillation, you got that for sure. The IAC shouldn't allow that much air through to the point of the engine surging higher than 2000 RPMs

But high idle means your flow meter may be catching or sticking, but also check the butterfly valves on the throttle body.

What about the injector temp sensor?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 17, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The throwout bearing is probably bouncing around on the munged remains of the (aluminum) input shaft. That's gonna be a fun sleeve kit job for the Junior Launch Control League.

I still don't think just dumping the clutch could do that damage to the PP, on release the fingers should theoretically see no force and I can see the TOB getting chewed as it's quickly punted out of there by the fingers, maybe if he though shifting quick meant kicking in the clutch as hard as he can? Then I can see the stress of repeatably being slammed together knocking some fingers off and chewing up the TOB. But still, WTF, who does that? :psyduck:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

The IAC will cause the stumbling and idle oscillation, you got that for sure. The IAC shouldn't allow that much air through to the point of the engine surging higher than 2000 RPMs

But high idle means your flow meter may be catching or sticking, but also check the butterfly valves on the throttle body.

What about the injector temp sensor?

Flow meter sticking? This car uses a MAF (which I replaced three months ago) so that shouldn't be it. I'm fairly certain I replaced the injector temp sensor this past summer but will have to double check, I may be confusing that job with my other 240.

When I got back to the house this morning I also noted a fairly large puddle of oil on the ground, so one way or another it's getting parked 'til I can figure this out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Flow meter sticking? This car uses a MAF (which I replaced three months ago) so that shouldn't be it. I'm fairly certain I replaced the injector temp sensor this past summer but will have to double check, I may be confusing that job with my other 240.

When I got back to the house this morning I also noted a fairly large puddle of oil on the ground, so one way or another it's getting parked 'til I can figure this out.

You told me it had CIS :argh:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

You told me it had CIS :argh:

:ohdear: I'm sorry! My early morning googling turned up the K-Jet thing and something else to do with idle control and assumed you were talking about the latter (and never bothered reading the link), which is why I jumped into talking about the IAC :doh:. Yeah it's an LH 2.2 system.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can only imagine this is the result of "hold my beer and watch this"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

"Betcha I can jump that!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Powershift posted:

Soooo, you know how sometimes guys cut a front wheel drive car in half and drive it around?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Powershift posted:

How does something like that happen?

Another friend blew his poo poo up:

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
Nearly 30 year old electronics screws stripped my dollar store screwdriver.

I'm not entirely surprised, mind you.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Devyl posted:

How does something like that happen?

well, the text is russian so I'm guessing Siberian winter (which might even be pushing the glass transition temperature of steel) plus many, many big loving bending moment cycles plus the finest of Russian maintenance

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, between Russian maintenance, Russian driving, and Russian roads... I don't think I need any more explanation than that.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Meanwhile in America... I took an Infiniti QX56 on a short test drive to listen for noises and shaking after "hitting a pot-hole"

Still thanking the heavens above that I made it in one piece :psyduck:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Root Bear posted:

Meanwhile in America... I took an Infiniti QX56 on a short test drive to listen for noises and shaking after "hitting a pot-hole"

Going to Vegas any time soon?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Root Bear posted:

Ahaha holy poo poo, in the first pic I thought they looked a bit rusty and therefore old, that must have been a hell of a hit. Is the rim hosed up?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I imagine auto techs have to do similar mental calculations as do doctors asking their patients how often they smoke or how much they drink.

Just like "a couple drinks a week" becomes "benders every weekend;" "hit a pothole" becomes "drove over an open trench at 50mph because I was trying to look up directions to the new tex-mex joint my co-workers were meeting at."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't imagine. It's 100% true.

"I'm a little overdue for a service..." - at least an entire interval overdue.
"I think the tyres on the front/back are getting down a bit..." - tyres showing cords.
"Can you check the brakes? They're making a noise..." - backing plate touching disc OR pads down to less than 2mm.

And so on and so forth. We actually have a system for this. The job cards are placed in plastic slip holder things. Normal cars are clear. "Special Attention" cars and ones belonging to fleets, blue. Cunty/insane customers, red.

Noone outside my work is aware of this system and everyone just thinks the colours are random.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I was looking into the possibility of making a terrible automotive decision, when I found this:

For 1200 euro, I think I'm going to pass...

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Opensourcepirate posted:

It's easy, you just hold the throttle open with your right foot, hold the brakes completely tight with your left foot, and then drop the clutch as hard as you can using a boot tied to a stick.

That's not how you load the drivetrain!! :argh:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Root Bear posted:

After seeing some of the potholes around Chicago this doesn't surprise me. Theres a giant one by Diversey and the river that almost devoured my escapes tire . Wooh Mayor Dailey funded roads.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
How bad is the wheel or did your studs act as suspension there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Measly Twerp posted:

I was looking into the possibility of making a terrible automotive decision, when I found this:

For 1200 euro, I think I'm going to pass...

Someone is actually selling that as a vehicle? :psyduck: