Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Tunicate posted:

Oh wow there's a livestream writeathon right now!

http://www.justin.tv/waygatefoundation

Charity donation with questions being answered.

Here's the current progress on the hair-burning memory magic system story: http://waygatefoundation.org/

Which will be contineud sometime, maybe jordancon.

That was really interesting to watch and I would totally have missed it if you hadn't posted, so thanks! Loved the story about how the cat "adopted" Sanderson, that almost seems like it would be a neat little detail to put in a novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Tunicate posted:

Oh hey, registration for The Writing Excuses Retreat starts tomorrow

http://www.writingexcuses.com/2014/01/17/annoucing-the-writing-excusescarl-brandon-scholarship/

It sounds pretty cool.

And ends tomorrow. If you want in you'd better be at your computer at 8:59 AM EST, because registration is probably closing at 9:01.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
That's where I will be :f5: even though it's 6:00 AM for me...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Drunk Tomato posted:

That's where I will be :f5: even though it's 6:00 AM for me...
Well, hope you got in.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 18, 2014

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I didn't. Sold out before the registration page loaded.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Holy crap. I got in. :rock:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mortanis posted:

Holy crap. I got in. :rock:

Congrats, man. I got to the registration stage, then just before I clicked found out I already had a big research thing scheduled for the same week.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Didn't get in :(

Actually my two alarms didn't go off, so that sucked.

Congrats to you Mortanis!

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Does reen actually exist or is it just Ruin in her head?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Well if you mean "was there ever really a Reen?" then yes. He took Vin away from their insane mother, kept them on the run from the Ministry, died from torture, etc. If you mean the sayings Vin kept remembering then no, that was Ruin all along.
EDIT: Unless she didn't have her earring in at the time, but I honestly can't remember if she ever remembered "his" sayings when it wasn't in.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well if you mean "was there ever really a Reen?" then yes. He took Vin away from their insane mother, kept them on the run from the Ministry, died from torture, etc. If you mean the sayings Vin kept remembering then no, that was Ruin all along.
EDIT: Unless she didn't have her earring in at the time, but I honestly can't remember if she ever remembered "his" sayings when it wasn't in.

On checking, she didn't.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

One more question: what kind of misting was kelsier before he snapped? Do we know?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

uh zip zoom posted:

One more question: what kind of misting was kelsier before he snapped? Do we know?

He wasn't. You don't "upgrade" from Misting to Mistborn, you either have power or you don't.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Sorta. It's a little more complex.

Reen's voice is a mix of - Vin recalls these things partly because she's had a lovely life and taken her brother's lessons to heart, and partially because Ruin is nudging her. Basically a representation of her inner insecurities.

quote:

http://brandonsanderson.com/annotation-mistborn-2-chapter-thirty-four/
It’s not a good thing, but it IS natural and normal. Unfortunately, it prompts something very important: the return of Reen’s whispering voice in the back of Vin’s mind. She’s been free of him for a long time now, but I thought it appropriate to bring him back. After all, that voice–partially a representation of her subconscious–was a large part of her character in the first novel.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
More WoR chapters!

http://www.tor.com/stories/2014/01/excerpt-brandon-sanderson-words-of-radiance-chapter-six-eight-and-nine

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Idle musing. The glowing shardblades and shardplate, as well as shardplate interfering with surgebindings. Could it be that when you take up your blade and plate, you were supposed to swear upon the oaths, to grant them their true powers. AND when the Radiants broke their oaths, the blades naturally lost that.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Thanks for the update, I know the book is coming out in a month or so but I just can't resist these teasers!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

veekie posted:

Idle musing. The glowing shardblades and shardplate, as well as shardplate interfering with surgebindings. Could it be that when you take up your blade and plate, you were supposed to swear upon the oaths, to grant them their true powers. AND when the Radiants broke their oaths, the blades naturally lost that.

I'm guessing it's a combination of oaths and spren, yeah. I don't think it's any coincidence that Brandon showed us spren empowering rock to make Voidbringer constructs in the preview chapters.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Some interesting stuff on the spren perspective there. The sole Honorspren to break the rules makes Szeth even more curious though. It does explain why Syl is so flighty, any Honorspren who disobeys the rules has to be odd at best.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Arg. So tempting, but I'm really trying to wait until the actual book is out. :(

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

veekie posted:

Some interesting stuff on the spren perspective there. The sole Honorspren to break the rules makes Szeth even more curious though. It does explain why Syl is so flighty, any Honorspren who disobeys the rules has to be odd at best.

Szeth was curiosity before that because he's from Shinovar, which has no spren at all. So the surgebindings might not be fundamentally due to spren, they're just the easiest way to access them.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

coffeetable posted:

Szeth was curiosity before that because he's from Shinovar, which has no spren at all. So the surgebindings might not be fundamentally due to spren, they're just the easiest way to access them.

I kind of assume that there are alternate ways to access surgebinding based off the use of the soulcasting gem things. Pretty much anyone can use one which indicates that there's at least one way to get access to these abilities without spren, and knowing how magic tends to work in Sanderson books there's probably some underlying mechanism that applies to all the abilities.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

coffeetable posted:

Szeth apparently doesn't have a spren

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm wondering if Sanderson's new strategy is to release the first 3/4 of the book online for free and charge like $100 for the end.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

mystes posted:

I'm wondering if Sanderson's new strategy is to release the first 3/4 of the book online for free and charge like $100 for the end.

It's one way to monetize the Avalanche.

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011

mystes posted:

And I would probably pay up. These chapters sure have made me anxious for the rest of the book.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I need to stop clicking the black bars. It doesn't seem like anything big is in there, but I want to go in blind. And it's hard to do that when so much is already online.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

coffeetable posted:

In the prologue there are two guys who talk about "that creature" (assumed Szeth) who "carries my lord's own blade". This could mean that Szeth's blade is not a shardblade, but actually Jezrien's honorblade. (Jezrien was a king, so if the two talking guys were also heralds, it'd fit). Since Jezrien is the herald associated with the Windrunners, it could explain why Szeth has the same abilities as Kaladin. Probably the blade gives him the same abilities as a spren would.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

ShadowGlass posted:

In the prologue there are two guys who talk about "that creature" (assumed Szeth) who "carries my lord's own blade". This could mean that Szeth's blade is not a shardblade, but actually Jezrien's honorblade. (Jezrien was a king, so if the two talking guys were also heralds, it'd fit). Since Jezrien is the herald associated with the Windrunners, it could explain why Szeth has the same abilities as Kaladin. Probably the blade gives him the same abilities as a spren would.

Maybe shard blades are made of Spren, would explain why Syl is so distrubed by them, they are spren being enslaved rather than entering into an agreement

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Inspiration:
Dull Shardplate interferes with surgebindings.
Glowing Shardplate does not interfere.
True Knights Radiant have Glowing Shardplate.
Glowing Shardplate most likely glows because of the Knight Radiant Oaths
Glowing Shardplate likely stopped glowing because during the Recreance, the Knights broke their oaths and walked away.
Stormlight leaks from Surgebinders all the time. People are too porous.
Stormlight only leaks from Shardplate when damaged.

Theory:
Glowing Shardplate is meant to keep the Stormlight inside the Knight Radiant near perfectly, allowing them to operate for longer periods after drawing from gems.
Glowing Shardplate can draw the Stormlight they need to work from the Radiant's own reserves instead of gems.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Different inspiration:
-There were 10 Heralds, and apparently 9 left, leaving the 10th trapped in some kind of purgatory.
-There is no evidence of Highstorms in the Radiants prehistory era.
-Magic seemed much more widespread then.

Theory:
-The Stormfather who creates the Highstorms is the Herald that was left behind. He's still releasing his magical energy, but in the form of destructive storms that ravage Roshar. The other Heralds stopped giving their magic to the Radiants when they left, so they weren't able to keep surgebinding. The interlude about the people killing in the name of their emperor is an allegory about the Radiants, who abandoned their duty after they realized they were abandoned themselves. Also, this is why only Windrunning still exists - that is the magic of the Herald who became the Storm father

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Infinite Karma posted:

Different inspiration:
-There were 10 Heralds, and apparently 9 left, leaving the 10th trapped in some kind of purgatory.
-There is no evidence of Highstorms in the Radiants prehistory era.
-Magic seemed much more widespread then.

Theory:
-The Stormfather who creates the Highstorms is the Herald that was left behind. He's still releasing his magical energy, but in the form of destructive storms that ravage Roshar. The other Heralds stopped giving their magic to the Radiants when they left, so they weren't able to keep surgebinding. The interlude about the people killing in the name of their emperor is an allegory about the Radiants, who abandoned their duty after they realized they were abandoned themselves. Also, this is why only Windrunning still exists - that is the magic of the Herald who became the Storm father

Except the 10th Herald shows up and falls over dead, at the end of the first book.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ConfusedUs posted:

Except the 10th Herald shows up and falls over dead, at the end of the first book.

Correction: He falls over.

Brandon's gone on record saying he's not dead, and will possibly even be a viewpoint character in later books. The easiest way to notice this is that the Herald's blades disappear when they die, an inversion of Shardblade behavior.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Also, there was a bit implied that the Heralds reincarnate against their will, and it's not pleasant. As far as we've seen, the only magical power in the world comes from the Highstorms (even to the point where there are no sprens in Shinovar where they don't have Highstorms), and in the past, the Heralds and Radiants were the ones who had magic. With one Herald left behind on Roshar, and one source of magic left, it seems like there is an association.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

ShadowGlass posted:

Can't be - he drops his shardblade in the same prologue, and it disappears. Contrast to Talenel or whatever his name is, who keels over unconscious and his honorblade stays behind.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

ConfusedUs posted:

He's only mostly dead.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Uggh. I gotta unbookmark this thread. I'll see ya guys in a couple of months.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Words of Radiance now has a revised wallpaper(cover?), with Kaladan's spear pointed up instead of being leaned on. I like it, looks more dynamic.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/01/download-the-revised-words-of-radiance-wallpapers

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

L-O-N posted:

Words of Radiance now has a revised wallpaper(cover?), with Kaladan's spear pointed up instead of being leaned on. I like it, looks more dynamic.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/01/download-the-revised-words-of-radiance-wallpapers

That's a fairly minor change that makes it about ten times better. Kaladin's old pose was awkward as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
That cover is loads better.