Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

slidebite posted:

Gabriel Ross sells humanscale (almost bought my Herman Miller through them)

http://grshop.com/shop-by-brand/humanscale.html

Can't speak for their prices though so YMMV.

Pretty reasonable, and free shipping! Thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

No problem! Keep in mind though, their shipping isn't really free, it's just hidden in the price. They were $300+ higher on my Embody, even when on "sale" so something to be aware of.

Something dropped by today!

And here it is, all set up to pretty close how I'll keep it. Looks utterly space age compared to my Corporate Express monstrosity.

Typing from it right now :buddy:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure if we covered this yet or not, but any tips on proper adjustment of an ergo chair?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

slidebite posted:

Not sure if we covered this yet or not, but any tips on proper adjustment of an ergo chair?
Here, I'll repost some stuff from earlier in the thread:

To really be an ergonomic chair, I'd recommend having as many of these adjustments as possible:

Seat height adjustment
Seat depth adjustment (seat slider)
Back height adjustment (adjusts the position of the lumbar)
Back angle adjustment
Seat angle adjustment (independent of the back angle)

My company sometimes has professional ergonomists come in and present - here is the presentation one recently put on: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3ehfKH5jvOMb0tsMVVKalMwbkE/edit?usp=sharing

It has some pretty basic tips about proper chair adjustments, keyboard positioning, and exercises to do periodically.

Also, watch some of this guy's videos - he's a really well respected ergonomist who knows what he's talking about : http://www.youtube.com/user/SiteSolutionsErgo

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the info and links, will check them out.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How are Humanscale Freedom chairs compared to the Leap?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Argas posted:

How are Humanscale Freedom chairs compared to the Leap?

Freedoms lean back in a really weird way - I don't like how they throw you wayyyyy back from the desk. The Freedom is also a really old model - Humanscale's new Smart chair is better, but still has some of the same issues. Personally, I'd go with a Leap any day (just make sure you get the Leap V2).

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
My cheapass OfficeMax chair has finally started to fall apart, so I figure I'm going to buy a new chair with my upcoming tax refund.

Is there any kind of middle ground between the $100 pieces of poo poo and the $1000 ergo chairs? I'd be comfortable spending $2-300 but much more than that is a bit hard to stomach.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

fatman1683 posted:

My cheapass OfficeMax chair has finally started to fall apart, so I figure I'm going to buy a new chair with my upcoming tax refund.

Is there any kind of middle ground between the $100 pieces of poo poo and the $1000 ergo chairs? I'd be comfortable spending $2-300 but much more than that is a bit hard to stomach.

At that price point you're basically looking for a used version of a good chair (assuming this is something you're actually using frequently). The $200-300 chairs at an office supply store just seem to be better looking versions of the shittier chairs.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

Depending on where you live, check the furniture section of your local Craigslist for individuals or dealers selling used office furniture. You can usually find a few Leaps or Aerons this way if you're near a major metro area, or you might come across some older designs like a Criterion or Equa. You can usually find a chair for $200-400 this way. If you're out in the sticks like I am, though, this doesn't work so well.

In my recent experience, task chairs are one thing where it pays to spend as much as you can. Looking at Steelcase, for example, I wasn't expecting the Gesture to be a major upgrade over the Amia ($1000 vs. $650), but it is, in both comfort and adjustability. My boyfriend has an IKEA Markus and it's painful to sit in now by comparison.

If you have a Herman Miller or Steelcase dealer near you, see if you can try out some of the chairs. They probably won't sell one to you (I couldn't even get a price quote from the local Herman Miller dealer), but it might shed some light on why this stuff is so expensive.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Too expensive. It's a great chair - maybe the best on the market - but no one is willing to pay more than $1000 per chair to fill an office.

Oddly enough my company just moved into the office next door and it's all Embody chairs. It was formerly a Zynga office, and there's probably 80~100 chairs in here (I haven't counted yet). I think Zynga was here for maybe a year and a half before they closed this office a few others last year, the fact that they spent this much on chairs seems telling.

Oh well, we all have really nice chairs now. The difference between these and the Office Depot whatever chairs we had is insane.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Brightman posted:

Oddly enough my company just moved into the office next door and it's all Embody chairs. It was formerly a Zynga office, and there's probably 80~100 chairs in here (I haven't counted yet). I think Zynga was here for maybe a year and a half before they closed this office a few others last year, the fact that they spent this much on chairs seems telling.

Oh well, we all have really nice chairs now. The difference between these and the Office Depot whatever chairs we had is insane.

Nice! I'm assuming you're in SF - we were trying to get our company's chairs in at Zynga before they started tanking. Probably better they went Herman Miller instead.

While I'm sure they paid a lot for their chairs, recently HM has been low-balling Embodies to kick out other manufacturers - often they'll be supplying all the other furniture (desks, paneling, etc.) and the chairs will be a drop in the bucket, so they don't mind taking a loss there to make a profit elsewhere. We actually lost a project with our chair up against the Embody when Herman Miller bid in at $800 per Embody - that's probably BELOW the manufacturing cost for them.

If you're in SF, and need specialty chairs for difficult ergo cases that the embody doesn't work for, send me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction (if you even have that kind of decision making power at your company of course).

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Can I go wrong with a steelcase criterion? Meaning, are they generally decent for everyone? I was thinking of getting one from Madison Seating, as I couldn't find anything good locally. Thing is, the chair is $200, and it's like $100 to return if I hated it. Alternatively, I've been kicking around the idea of getting a roc-n-soc drum throne with a backrest and office chair base. I've sat on them at music stores and the seat feels amazing. Plus, they supposedly last for 10-15 years.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nice! I'm assuming you're in SF - we were trying to get our company's chairs in at Zynga before they started tanking. Probably better they went Herman Miller instead.

While I'm sure they paid a lot for their chairs, recently HM has been low-balling Embodies to kick out other manufacturers - often they'll be supplying all the other furniture (desks, paneling, etc.) and the chairs will be a drop in the bucket, so they don't mind taking a loss there to make a profit elsewhere. We actually lost a project with our chair up against the Embody when Herman Miller bid in at $800 per Embody - that's probably BELOW the manufacturing cost for them.

If you're in SF, and need specialty chairs for difficult ergo cases that the embody doesn't work for, send me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction (if you even have that kind of decision making power at your company of course).

Texas actually and I'm just a software developer. Also I'm pretty sure the chairs are the only thing Herman Miller in there, but they probably did get a deal, yeah. The desks are just okay and the bean bag chair crap is like a notch above Ikea.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
How do I differentiate between the Leap v1 and v2?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yip Yips posted:

How do I differentiate between the Leap v1 and v2?

Look at the armpads. V2s have pads with sharper, less rounded corners.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
My ancient Aeron recently busted its rear end completely and I now desperately need a new chair that doesn't suck but that I can afford. Will be used for ridiculously long periods of consecutive time.

Any quality $300-$400 chairs? Good models to look for used perhaps? I'm definitely going to get ripped off buying a random chair right?

e: if I need to spend $600-$800 (if it makes a really big difference), I could maybe do that too...

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 21, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

Can I go wrong with a steelcase criterion? Meaning, are they generally decent for everyone? I was thinking of getting one from Madison Seating, as I couldn't find anything good locally. Thing is, the chair is $200, and it's like $100 to return if I hated it. Alternatively, I've been kicking around the idea of getting a roc-n-soc drum throne with a backrest and office chair base. I've sat on them at music stores and the seat feels amazing. Plus, they supposedly last for 10-15 years.

what I want to know is how madison seating is so cheap.

steelcase leap for 400, mirra for $450, $525 aeron, there's gotta be a catch somewhere.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
The few I looked at were open box and didn't come with a manufacturer's warranty.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think they also save quite a bit of money by not packing them up and shipping them but instead by briefly showing the chair some packaging materials and then throwing it vaguely towards your address, if reports in here are anything to go by.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I asked for clarification on 'Open Box' and they said it's either display models or brand new clearance ones that were liquidated, not used or refurbished ones. Sounds good to me (though I've seen jacked up display chairs). One thing I don't like, they said they rip off the label of the chairs so you can't see it's manufacture date. That'll make it harder to change any parts. I'm not sure if that's because of a legal issue, or because they frankenstein their chairs a lot.

Online reviews of MadisonSeating are a bit disheartening as well, but i'll prolly still give'em a try.

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 21, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I asked for clarification on 'Open Box' and they said it's either display models or brand new clearance ones that were liquidated, not used or refurbished ones. Sounds good to me (though I've seen jacked up display chairs). One thing I don't like, they said they rip off the label of the chairs so you can't see it's manufacture date. That'll make it harder to change any parts. I'm not sure if that's because of a legal issue, or because they frankenstein their chairs a lot.

Online reviews of MadisonSeating are a bit disheartening as well, but i'll prolly still give'em a try.

Yeah, they're probably lying. I'm pretty sure they sell refurbished chairs but there's some legalese that says they can call them "open box." I can't prove it, of course, but if they're tearing the labels off, neither can anyone else.

The main, problem, though, is

Caged posted:

I think they also save quite a bit of money by not packing them up and shipping them but instead by briefly showing the chair some packaging materials and then throwing it vaguely towards your address, if reports in here are anything to go by.
this. They get poo poo lost in the mail or broken in shipping ALL THE TIME. And generally they try to charge YOU for it.

Sometimes you get a perfectly good chair at a good price though. Up to you to roll the dice.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
OK guys, what's the cheapest possible place I can get a Herman Miller Embody, new or used, and pay with a credit card? The cleaning people in my office broke my Leap by shoving it under my desk and my company will only foot $300 of the bill on a new chair, and will only reimburse if I show them a credit card receipt. The leap was nice, but still not as comfortable as possible. I'm 6'4" and 285 pounds, and the Embody looks like it's a little more accommodating to larger frames as well.

edit: I found a bunch of Mirras for cheap on this page http://officefurniturecenter.com/seating/task.html?limit=all
How giant friendly are Mirras?

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 30, 2014

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm looking for a new computer chair (UK) to go with my new computer. I'd like to spend less than £200 and hopefully it wouldn't lose wheels and break like the uncomfortable piece of poo poo I'm typing this on :cheeky:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Got my Steelcase Leap V2s a couple of days ago. So drat nice and comfortable :D

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Hey Rotten Red Rod, since you have the most experience with chairs, which one would you say is your favorite? I'm finding that it's really difficult to find reviews that directly compare different chairs and most of them are positive in a very generic "it's really nice" way. I'm also having no success finding somewhere I can try them myself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

101 posted:

I'm looking for a new computer chair (UK) to go with my new computer. I'd like to spend less than £200 and hopefully it wouldn't lose wheels and break like the uncomfortable piece of poo poo I'm typing this on :cheeky:

Where are you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steelcase...=item27de146263

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yip Yips posted:

Hey Rotten Red Rod, since you have the most experience with chairs, which one would you say is your favorite? I'm finding that it's really difficult to find reviews that directly compare different chairs and most of them are positive in a very generic "it's really nice" way. I'm also having no success finding somewhere I can try them myself.

I'm really, really biased because this is my employer - but I stand by their chairs, I think they're awesome: http://www.officemaster.com/

They're a mid-market ergonomic chair company, and they're unique in the industry in that they have been around 20+ plus years. Which means they've had time to refine and expand their lines for a wide variety of applications and body types. Most mid-market chair companies are fly-by-night with slapped together crap masquerading as ergonomic, and when they do have good chairs, they're usually overpriced.

My personal favorite is the PT78, it fits an averaged sized person perfectly and is nice and cushy. The OM5 is another popular one.

It's REALLY hard to try them out, unfortunately, unless you're lucky to have a rep in your area that maintains a good showroom (like we do for the SF Bay Are). Check the sales rep locator for the one in your area: http://officemaster.com/sales-rep-locator/

If you're willing to order one without trying it, though, I have a few reputable internet retailers I can recommend, send me a PM.

Anyway, that's my personal pick. As for something you may actually be able to try out, the Steelcase Leap V2 seems to be the most commonly available second-hand chair that I'd actually give a positive recommendation for. It's likely that furniture clearance warehouses in your area may have a few.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 30, 2014

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Awesome, I appreciate your advice. There is a rep in my area so I'll contact them and see if they have any show models.

As far as the Leap et al. go, it's not terribly important that they're second-hand. Of course it'd be nice to save some cash so I'll have to do more research on that front. Last time I looked I came up empty.

Anyways, thanks.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I took an hour drive to one of those furniture liquidation places, it was a big letdown. Almost nothing but Hons, which seemed decent (suprising, the hon basyx chair I bought before was horrible), but they ALL had something wrong. Busted mechanisms, busted bases, oily discharges, stains, and they all smelled like mildew. And the setup of the "store", it was like I was on an episode of American Pickers. Plus, it was freezing cold, they had no heat, and I happened to be wearing my paper-thin converse because I feel they are the best to try out furniture you plan to use barefoot.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm really, really biased because this is my employer - but I stand by their chairs, I think they're awesome: http://www.officemaster.com/

I actually ordered one of their budget task chairs 3 or 4 days ago. Decided not to go the unseen used route, and went with an om chair over the low-end steelcase jack. I'm not someone who spends 60 hours in a computer chair per week, I just want something to sit in for an hour or two here and there without my butt and back hurting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

OK guys, what's the cheapest possible place I can get a Herman Miller Embody, new or used, and pay with a credit card?

Try you local (or as local as possible) Herman Miller dealer? Mine was waaaay cheaper then the best online price and shipped it to my door.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

101 posted:

Just keep checking eBay. I got a leather Leap for about £100 a couple of years back from a liquidation warehouse (think they said the chair was from Lehman Brothers).

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
I'm looking for a decent computer chair with fold away arms, because I play guitar and a chair with arms gets in the way. Are there any good quality chairs where the arm folds down or up? I've found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lexington-Mod...il+flip-up+arms

but I'm not sure of the quality. This would be my main computer/guitar playing chair so I'd end up spending a lot of time in it at home. Anyone have any suggestion on what to look for?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That looks like a piece of poo poo dressed up as something fancier - no mention is made of the seat back adjustment so I'd assume it tilts with the seat like 99% of the chairs with bases that look like that, the arms only flip out the way instead of height adjusting, the seat will quite probably squash down to nothing in 7 months time, and the back height doesn't adjust.

For your budget look at second hand options on Craigslist, eBay etc.

I think as a rule any office chair that has plywood listed as a construction material is best to avoid.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012

Caged posted:

That looks like a piece of poo poo dressed up as something fancier - no mention is made of the seat back adjustment so I'd assume it tilts with the seat like 99% of the chairs with bases that look like that, the arms only flip out the way instead of height adjusting, the seat will quite probably squash down to nothing in 7 months time, and the back height doesn't adjust.

For your budget look at second hand options on Craigslist, eBay etc.

I think as a rule any office chair that has plywood listed as a construction material is best to avoid.

Ok. I was posting that chair as an example of what I would need the arms to do - fold away to allow me to play a guitar while seated. I didn't post a budget so I don't know if I really need to start checking craigslist just yet, and you also didn't give any examples of what I should be looking for, which is what I really wanted in the first place.

Again, just looking for high quality chairs where the arms fold away or can be moved out of the way enough to allow for guitar playing while seated in the chair.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, that's my lovely office depot chair fancied up with fake leather.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Ok. I was posting that chair as an example of what I would need the arms to do - fold away to allow me to play a guitar while seated. I didn't post a budget so I don't know if I really need to start checking craigslist just yet, and you also didn't give any examples of what I should be looking for, which is what I really wanted in the first place.

Again, just looking for high quality chairs where the arms fold away or can be moved out of the way enough to allow for guitar playing while seated in the chair.

You're probably best going for an armless chair or a chair with removable arms and removing the arm on the side of your strumming hand, there's just way more chair options that way. There doesn't seem to be many flip-up arm chairs, and pivot arms usually (always?) just means the top part where you rest your elbow (probably won't be enough out of the way). I did consider this chair at one point for the exact same purpose: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/serta-my-fit-managers-chair/prod9710172.ip
It is the only one I've encountered with both flip up AND adjustable height arms. I decided against it because serta office chairs seem to be just another branding for true innovations, and I've had bad experiences with that brand's chairs (plus, 18 3/4" min. seat height is a bit higher than I'd like).

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 2, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tooting my own horn again, but if you order an Office Master chair with KR200 or KR445 arms, they'll be easily removable without any tools. You just use the width adjustment lever.

It can't be one of the "BC" budget chair series though, they can't use those arms - look at the PA, PC, PT, or YS chairs (which are all better anyway).

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I've been following this thread for a while and I've decided to buy a Steelcase Leap v2 with my tax refund since my current office chair is slowly destroying my back. I'm on a somewhat tight budget, so I'd prefer a discount chair if possible. Does buying from a discount site mean I won't get a warranty on my chair though?

Specifically, does anyone have any experience with this retailer: http://www.officedesignsoutlet.com/leaps.php?cid=62474%5ERefurbished+Leap+Chair%5EODO+Leap+PLA%5EFRO ?

I just don't want to buy a used chair only to discover it's in crappy condition or missing parts or something and have to deal with that headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Anyone here try both the Embody and the Gesture?