Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Makalov is one of my favorite FE characters, personality-wise.

At least he's usable, unlike poor Bastian, who spends two games as 'like Soren, but poo poo.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

alcharagia posted:

Good to know. Maybe next time I play the game I'll use her if I can figure out how to make her not die when enemies give her a nasty look.

Bonus experience.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

e: ^Marcia can be good, yeah. But don't lose sleep over not using her, FE9 only has good units. And Sothe.

Hey now, Sothe is the best thief in the game! :v:

Also, he has real utility on his joining chapter unless you want to go crazy running Volke all around the map.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

Bonus experience.

I still maintain that both versions of this are the most broken things ever put into a Fire Emblem game. Mostly because of how easy they make it. Even the blatantly 'cheaty' grinding DLC in Awakening takes more effort to abuse and sure as hell takes longer/is more tedious.

Being able to dump massive amounts of experience on any unit you want, and easily manipulate their level ups, is absolutely insane in a game with limited level ups. Even if you weren't completely abusing it, you could casually make a few key units gods by powerleveling them.

On the other hand, it did let you catch units up easily and made basically everyone viable while still maintaining limited resources unlike FE8/13.

I'm sort of on the fence if I think they should ever bring it back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pre-generate the RNs so that you can't reset for levels (though I guess you could do levels in different orders), make the amount of bonus EXP needed to level scale more as the unit levels so that it's a lot harder to just dump it all on a unit to make them 20/20?

And dump the FE10 system of 3 guaranteed stats. That was just asking for abuse.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I like the BEXP system a lot, but I also think that it needs to be less freely available. It was really easy to rack up thousands of BEXP in both games. Alternatively, there was the arena in FE12 which let you level up people easily, but also cost a lot of money, which was a good balance between the pros of getting the levels, and the cons of not having money for other, important, things.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BEXP is probably a better option than the overworld map grind since it doesn't break up the flow of the game, but they could do away with both and it'd be fine. Though I'd prefer either to the arena. Except maybe the way FE4 handled it.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
I prefer BEXP to overworld grinding, yeah. It's less tedious and there's at least in theory a finite supply of it (though still plenty enough to abuse).

I have mixed feelings on FE10's 3-stat system. On the one hand, it discourages simply dumping it all into a unit immediately and it makes units who would otherwise be poo poo actually worth a second look (well, to an extent. No amount of BEXP will make Lyre usable). On the other hand, it makes capping everything absurdly easy. Not counting Awakening, I've had more characters max their caps in FE10 than any other game by far. I once had Soren, Micaiah, Shinon, Aran, and Nolan (who is loving terrifying with max-caps) all on the same file. And on the third mutated hand, you don't have to use it if you feel it's too gamey.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Fire Emblem: Awakening. I just got the weird lady who turns into a giant mole and murders people, but I've already got plans for my current team. I'm assuming she stays with my party? If she does, I'm torn between playing with the interesting new members and the members I've babied to their current levels and who has relationships with other party members. Any advice? Are there any particularly good characters I should be aware of? I know Donnelly stats up really quickly.

Also, there is no point in upgrading weapons right? Because they break and you can't repair them. But weapons are cheap at the stores.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The point of forging weapons is so that you can have a stronger weapon until it breaks.

No character who joins your party in Awakening ever leaves, unless they die.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Artificer posted:

Fire Emblem: Awakening. I just got the weird lady who turns into a giant mole and murders people, but I've already got plans for my current team. I'm assuming she stays with my party? If she does, I'm torn between playing with the interesting new members and the members I've babied to their current levels and who has relationships with other party members. Any advice? Are there any particularly good characters I should be aware of? I know Donnelly stats up really quickly.

Also, there is no point in upgrading weapons right? Because they break and you can't repair them. But weapons are cheap at the stores.

If you're overwhelmed now, you need to brace yourself because up until chapter 14 or so, you're getting a new character or two every mission.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artificer posted:

One thing to keep in mind: Every S-ranked pairing you get will give you another new character down the line and only male and female characters can S-rank. (And only one S-Rank per character.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Artificer posted:

Not entirely true. There's a staff called Hammerne that fully restores every use of one weapon, and there's a skill called Armsthrift that Mercenaries get. The skill has a chance equal to twice a character's Luck of not using a weapon use when you hit someone. You can have perfect Armsthrift and never have anything break ever again in the super late game. But no, upgrading weapons isn't necessary in the main game. If you're having problems though it can really help out to have your best weapon even stronger.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Artificer posted:

This isn't advice but it's a rabbit and the guy's name is Donnel, not Donnelly. I just mention this because I needed to think for a bit about who you meant.

About weapons, though, money isn't in short supply, particularly if you get any of the DLC.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Weapon forging is really there to serve as a crutch for weaker characters until they get more levels and higher weapon ranks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Weapon forging is really there to serve as a crutch for weaker characters until they get more levels and higher weapon ranks.
And also for the super-hard DLC, so you can forge gigantic Brave Swords and poo poo.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Speaking of super-hard DLC, I have a dumb question because I am an idiot and didn't buy the Golden Pack when I was chewing up DLC (the Australian prices suck :argh:).

Outside of EXPonential Growth and the Golden Gaffe, what are the best ways to generate gold and EXP? I'm guessing for gold I want Donnel or another Armsthrift character with 50+ Luck and Lief's Blade, but is there another way as well?

For EXP, it obviously depends on the internal level of my character, but at what point does running Lost Bloodlines 3 repeatedly become better than doing Risen or Spotpass teams?

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Have I boned up my game by picking Magic as the flaw for my main character?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Not at all. I mean, it's a dumb move, but it's not rendered the game literally unbeatable or anything. Your avatar will still wreck poo poo, they just won't be as flexible.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

It's not optimal, but any combination of assets and flaw can definitely beat the game (though on Lunatic -Def or -HP will make things extremely frustrating). Don't worry too much about it.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Just run him as a physical class, problem solved.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Thanks all.

I already lost Milia (?) - the mage. But I traded her in for Marth. I can save-scum if I need to (this is my first time trying permadeath stuff, it's kind of interesting) but I'd really only do it if I was screwed and she didn't seem that useful.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

If you want as many powerful children as possible, do you basically get a couple to S rank, then switch them out for other characters when they get to level 15?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Artificer posted:

If you want as many powerful children as possible, do you basically get a couple to S rank, then switch them out for other characters when they get to level 15?
The kids won't be that powerful. When units hit level 20, they're capped, but Master Seals and/or Second Seals reset your level to 1. Level 15 is pretty low in the grand scheme of things, since even if you just level them to 20, promote, then level them to 20 again, that's 40 levels, not 20.

That said, the only thing the parent's actual stats/skills effect is, well, the kids' stats and skills, and they can generally get those on their own. More than that, the kids aren't *that* big of a deal, you'll still have their parents around. You can completely ignore the kids and do just fine. Don't play the game trying to 'get as many powerful children as possible,' just pair up who you like and use who you like.

That said, if you want to get all the kids for completionism's sake, you can grind units you aren't using to S Rank on the trial maps. Just buy reeking boxes and use them and you'll summon some risen. Do that on the prologue map and you'll get piss-easy risen that anyone can beat, and if you're on normal you'll always get a small bullion that you can sell for 1k gold, meaning that you actually saw a net profit from the whole affair. You can repeat this over and over to get all the mothers married off, and ta-da, you'll have all the kids.

EDIT: Speaking of, to the guy above, letting Miriel die means that you can't get her kid this run, if that bothers you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Thanks all.

I already lost Milia (?) - the mage. But I traded her in for Marth. I can save-scum if I need to (this is my first time trying permadeath stuff, it's kind of interesting) but I'd really only do it if I was screwed and she didn't seem that useful.

Keep in mind that if you're using a legacy or DLC character they can't gain supports. This means that while Marth starts out pretty strong he'll fall behind really quickly if you're pairing up (which you should).

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

I did that on my first run (which was Normal, admittedly) and he still wrecked poo poo just fine. He won't be as a good a mage as would be otherwise, but he'll still perform just fine unless you're :spergin: about optimisation for the Apotheosis or something.

The only thing that you should never choose as your flaw is speed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Speaking of, to the guy above, letting Miriel die means that you can't get her kid this run, if that bothers you.

Yes, it truly is a tragedy to miss out on the kid so boring I can't even remember him name.

On your first playthrough you're probably not going to recruit most of the kids since you have to grind out supports to get all of them available. Finding them all is something I didn't do until my second playthrough, and I would think that is how it went for most people.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 19, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes, it truly is a tragedy to miss out on the kid so boring I can't even remember him name.

On your first playthrough you're probably not going to recruit most of the kids since you have to grind out supports to get all of them available. Finding them all is something I didn't do until my second playthrough, and I would think that is how it went for most people.

Laurent has some pretty great supports honestly. He's also, by far, the sanest and least issue-ridden person in the second generation and comes close for the entire army.

And not everyone does multiple playthroughs. This thread is so, so not representative of the norm for people playing this game.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I just checked my wireless thing and I've got a bunch of challenges and maps and spirits I haven't activated yet. As in all of the free ones, I suspect. Is there a particular point at which I should do them? Should I do them all before a certain point? Or are they mostly just good ways of training up units and collecting loot?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Artificer posted:

I just checked my wireless thing and I've got a bunch of challenges and maps and spirits I haven't activated yet. As in all of the free ones, I suspect. Is there a particular point at which I should do them? Should I do them all before a certain point? Or are they mostly just good ways of training up units and collecting loot?

Spirits? What spirits?

The maps you download appear on the map can't be done until after the final chapter opens up.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Zore posted:

Laurent has some pretty great supports honestly. He's also, by far, the sanest and least issue-ridden person in the second generation and comes close for the entire army.

I dunno, after seeing the S rank support between him and Noire I'm not sure I can call him one of the sanest characters. I don't mean this in a bad way though, it was kinda hilarious. :allears:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Boneless Jogger posted:

I dunno, after seeing the S rank support between him and Noire I'm not sure I can call him one of the sanest characters. I don't mean this in a bad way though, it was kinda hilarious. :allears:

That's his only good support because he does something other than play the straight man in the most dull manner imaginable. He's the only character I find utterly boring to use. The closest I came to having fun with him was making him into a Berserker so he was a muscle mage :black101:

Zore posted:

And not everyone does multiple playthroughs. This thread is so, so not representative of the norm for people playing this game.

Being sane doesn't mean you have to be boring though. Frederick is sane, Chrom is sane, but Laurent is just dull.

Also I'd think someone that doesn't do multiple playthroughs isn't the kind of person to obsess over missing out on a single character.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

That's his only good support because he does something other than play the straight man in the most dull manner imaginable. He's the only character I find utterly boring to use. The closest I came to having fun with him was making him into a Berserker so he was a muscle mage :black101:

Being sane doesn't mean you have to be boring though. Frederick is sane, Chrom is sane, but Laurent is just dull.

Also I'd think someone that doesn't do multiple playthroughs isn't the kind of person to obsess over missing out on a single character.

I'd have questions about Fred, honestly.

If I had to list sane people, it'd be Chrom, the Avatar, Lu (mostly), and Stahl. Maybe a few others, but Frederick?

Poster. Incident.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Female Avatar is a troll, Male Avatar is a boring guy, Stahl is a sane guy, Frederick is full-on OCD who literally doesn't know how to relax and had to take lessons from Lissa.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I think the thing I enjoy most about Frederick's own special brand of crazy is that kind of comes completely out of left field. When you first start playing, he comes across as the calm voice of reason in the group.

And then you unlock his and Chrom's C-rank support scene. :allears:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

I think the thing I enjoy most about Frederick's own special brand of crazy is that kind of comes completely out of left field. When you first start playing, he comes across as the calm voice of reason in the group.

And then you unlock his and Chrom's C-rank support scene. :allears:

Yeah, the writers and localizers did some pretty good stuff with the supports in Awakening.

Sumia and Chrom really got screwed by having such relatively limited support lists. Sumia moreso because Chrom actually gets a whole bunch of extra stuff obviously, but I would have killed to see what a Tharja/Chrom support would have been. Or Sumia/Gregor etc. The weird supports almost always tend to be the best ones.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah, the writers and localizers did some pretty good stuff with the supports in Awakening.

Sumia and Chrom really got screwed by having such relatively limited support lists. Sumia moreso because Chrom actually gets a whole bunch of extra stuff obviously, but I would have killed to see what a Tharja/Chrom support would have been. Or Sumia/Gregor etc. The weird supports almost always tend to be the best ones.

Sumia's conversation with Miriel is her best one.

It's straight up amazing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd have liked more unique parent or sibling conversations, personally. Morgan and Lucina are especially bad about that. Also more for the spotpass characters!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd have liked more unique parent or sibling conversations, personally. Morgan and Lucina are especially bad about that. Also more for the spotpass characters!

Although I can understand the difficulty, I would have loved if Morgan had a parent conversation with his or her non-Avatar parent in Future Past.

Especially for Girl Morgan, since she's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, the two generic sibling conversations manage to clash pretty badly with some of the kids. Lucina with Brady and Morgan, and Morgan with Noire, Nah, Yarne and Gerome especially.

The parent ones at least tend to be a bit better and don't usually open up ridiculously contradictory plot holes. Though if you ever pair the Avatar and Tharja you have the unique experience of having literally none of the supports that opens up making any sense together. It also means you don't get the fun female Morgan/Noire generic support which is about a million times better than the sibling one.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 19, 2014