Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Keith Kizer is super allergic to doing his job.

-Ripped out instant replay monitors because he is a baby
-Allegedly blacklists judges who award 10-10 rounds
-Defends awful decisions by bad judges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Yeah pretty much every time a legitimate issue was brought up his reaction was gently caress you lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Doesn't he also have a say over judges/refs and specifically assigns judges/refs the UFC doesn't like to their cards? I'm almost positive he is in control of who refs what and assigned Mazagatti to ref a main event recently. I remember Dana blowing a gasket about it. Basically Kizer makes awful decisions, practices nepotism, and protects all of his officials from blame regardless of how transparently garbage they are.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 12, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Seltzer posted:

Doesn't he also have a say over judges/refs and specifically assigns judges/refs the UFC doesn't like to their cards? I'm almost positive he is in control of who refs what and assigned Mazagatti to ref a main event recently. I remember Dana blowing a gasket about it. Basically Kizer makes awful decisions, practices nepotism, and protects all of his officials from blame regardless of how transparently garbage they are.

This is one of the "no, you bad" situations (UFC complaining when it's their fault), as they have bitched about the refs they assign and the judges they assign, while having booked those same judges and refs on overseas shows where they could do what ever the gently caress they want.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I wonder if Lorenzo ever complains about Ratner's judge/ref assignments overseas, because it seems like Ratner does a real bad job of that sometimes. Like, every important fight overseas seems to include Sal D'Amato as a judge.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LordPants posted:

This is one of the "no, you bad" situations (UFC complaining when it's their fault), as they have bitched about the refs they assign and the judges they assign, while having booked those same judges and refs on overseas shows where they could do what ever the gently caress they want.

To be fair though, Dana doesn't give two shits about most fights, he just doesn't want contender fights and title fights getting ruined. Most of the time if they're bringing the refs over borders for something its a case of "if not these idiots, then who?" the other thing too, if Dana and co didn't bring recognisable guys like Mazagatti and Yamasaki who he's publicly criticised but are generally regarded as straight arrows, albeit sometimes gently caress-ups, there'd be all kinds of accusations of fixing fights.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

1st AD posted:

I wonder if Lorenzo ever complains about Ratner's judge/ref assignments overseas, because it seems like Ratner does a real bad job of that sometimes. Like, every important fight overseas seems to include Sal D'Amato as a judge.

Dan Miragliotta seemingly refs at every event in places where the UFC gets to bring their own.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Thermos H Christ posted:

Dan Miragliotta seemingly refs at every event in places where the UFC gets to bring their own.

I don't recall that happening ever since he made some dumb call on a Brazil card and Dana White said it would stop happening.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Bluedeanie posted:

I don't recall that happening ever since he made some dumb call on a Brazil card and Dana White said it would stop happening.

Was he the one from the 2011 Brazil Aldo/Faber card that Joe Rogan got in the cage, berated publicly, and forced to apologize for DQing a guy?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

projecthalaxy posted:

Was he the one from the 2011 Brazil Aldo/Faber card that Joe Rogan got in the cage, berated publicly, and forced to apologize for DQing a guy?

I think that was Mario Yamasaki

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Yeah that was Mario. I honestly can't remember which event or even what it was, but he made two or three questionable decisions all in one event and Dana said that was it.

I think he stopped something way too early on the undercard and then because he got booed and was overly conscious about it he let one TKO go for way too long to compensate later.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

Yeah that was Mario. I honestly can't remember which event or even what it was

Erick Silva vs Carlo Prater, UFC 142.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
That's the only bad Yamasaki call I remember. The bad Miragliotta call in Brazil was letting Khabib Nurmagomedov elbow Thiago Tavares in the head 15 times while Taveres was completely unconscious.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Rosenthal was usually pretty good but wasn't he the one who blew the Weidman/Munoz call? I wasn't even watching that poo poo live and I was screaming at my television for him to stop the fight

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Biafraid posted:

Rosenthal was usually pretty good but wasn't he the one who blew the Weidman/Munoz call? I wasn't even watching that poo poo live and I was screaming at my television for him to stop the fight

That was indeed Inmate #2359

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Erick Silva vs Carlo Prater, UFC 142.

I meant I can't remember the Tan Dan stoppage, I recall Erick Silva because that was the first-ever goonweight and it had that weird bullshit stoppage no one got points for.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
If your opponent is playing the game of putting a hand on the mat to prevent knees to his head, are you allowed to stomp on that hand?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

niethan posted:

If your opponent is playing the game of putting a hand on the mat to prevent knees to his head, are you allowed to stomp on that hand?

The rule just says that

quote:

Stomping a grounded opponent

Is a foul.
If the hand is down, they're grounded and stomping it would be a foul.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

But you could axe kick it, right? Didn't GSP axe kick some dude's body while he was on his back?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

LobsterMobster posted:

But you could axe kick it, right? Didn't GSP axe kick some dude's body while he was on his back?

I think so. I' sort of remember Bendo doing it against Diaz as well.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Yes, MMA rules are weird and dumb sometimes

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
An axe kick is not considered a stomp, according to the rules.

Yuriy posted:

Yes, MMA rules are weird and dumb sometimes

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

What fight was it where someone was trying to play the hand on ground thing and then his opponent just picked up his hand and kneed him in the head?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

1st AD posted:

What fight was it where someone was trying to play the hand on ground thing and then his opponent just picked up his hand and kneed him in the head?

I want to say it was nate during his stint at ww

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Here's Big John doing a rules meeting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGpSp8aS30

Most of the commonly asked rules questions are answered in here

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

1st AD posted:

Gilbert against like masvidal

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Do fighters with long necks typically get choked out more?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dangersim posted:

Here's Big John doing a rules meeting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGpSp8aS30

Most of the commonly asked rules questions are answered in here

Also a pro click because Big John is a funny dude.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Valeyard posted:

Do fighters with long necks typically get choked out more?

No, fighters with bad submission defense or with very average chins do though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yuriy posted:

The rule just says that

Is a foul.
If the hand is down, they're grounded and stomping it would be a foul.

Jesus Christ, I've wondered why I've never seen that. That is truly the worst, man I hate that rule. Now I fantasize about a guy putting his hand on the mat, and the other fighter kicking him on the straightened elbow, snapping the arm. That'd learn em.

LobsterMobster posted:

He did, against Mayem Miller. It didn't do much but looked cool as gently caress.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Count Roland posted:

He did, against Mayem Miller. It didn't do much but looked cool as gently caress.

There's all sorts of cool weird stuff in that match. Teen GSP vs some idiot with dumb hair is one of my all time favorite mismatched squash fights.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

1st AD posted:

At UFC 152 Jones started the fight by crawling across the mat, Vitor went to soccer kick him in the face and narrowly missed, Jones immediately snitched, Big John said "Well, you wanted to play the game."

Big John owns.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

red19fire posted:

At UFC 152 Jones started the fight by crawling across the mat, Vitor went to soccer kick him in the face and narrowly missed, Jones immediately snitched, Big John said "Well, you wanted to play the game."

Big John owns.

Even better. Jones put his hand up to block it. If Vitor had connected, Jones wouldn't have been a grounded opponent. There are very few What Ifs in MMA that I regret more than those few inches.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Had Chael won by destroyed toe I'd probably still be laughing

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

origami posted:

Had Chael won by destroyed toe I'd probably still be laughing

We were 20 seconds away from Chael Sonnen, Light Heavyweight champion via TKO (Injury).

What could have been

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I wonder what happened to that belt Chael bought. Seeing that in the closet has to weigh heavy on a guy that promised his dad the title

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I've seen Big John in a rules meeting post UFC 152 tell people not to do the Jon Jones thing, because he and you both know that when the kick comes you're going to pick up your hand to block, you're going to get knocked out, and you're going to feel really stupid.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think even if Vitor had kicked Jones into outer space and taken a DQ, it would have been a good career move. The old school Vale Tudo badboy and all that.

Just have to make sure he gets a decent PR firm to write his mumbled half apology so Dana can rubberstamp his return to the UFC after a suspension that conveniently lines up with the next time he could fight anyway.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Dangersim posted:

I've seen Big John in a rules meeting post UFC 152 tell people not to do the Jon Jones thing, because he and you both know that when the kick comes you're going to pick up your hand to block, you're going to get knocked out, and you're going to feel really stupid.

I remember some B-League guy won a DQ by having the presence of mind to not defend himself when his opponent straight up blasted him in the face when he was doing the Jon Jones thing. He got himself really messed up tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

I bet it's really loving hard not to raise your hand to block when someone is trying to kick your face in. Even more so for professional fighters trained to block on mere instinct.