Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

dotster posted:

Did you just use some plain yogurt as a starter? I am interested to hear how it turns out, we run through tubs of yogurt at my house, it might be fun to make some.

Yeah, 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Brought it up to about 188 in the anova which got it to 182 internal or so, put milk jug in cold water, dropped it down to ~110, added yogurt, put back in the water bath at 110 for 7 or so hours. Worked great, and super simple. Strained half of it, made amazingly smooth Greek style yogurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE
*slurp* *slurrrrp* mmmm cop cock oh God so good in my mouth like this

Plinkey posted:

I'll let you know this weekend, bought one last night should be here tomorrow.

should have got this and made it yourself

http://www.amazon.com/Elitech-All-P...ywords=stc+1000

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

You need to protect the probe on that with something. It isn't waterproof.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
This is a great guide for SV yoghurt.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hypnolobster posted:

You need to protect the probe on that with something. It isn't waterproof.

Ah, drat it. Completely missed that.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

MrEnigma posted:

Yeah, 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Brought it up to about 188 in the anova which got it to 182 internal or so, put milk jug in cold water, dropped it down to ~110, added yogurt, put back in the water bath at 110 for 7 or so hours. Worked great, and super simple. Strained half of it, made amazingly smooth Greek style yogurt.

Ok, after the brisket comes out Saturday I am gonna try this. I think we went through 3 quarts of Greek yogurt this week so if it works there will be people to eat it. Now I just have to figure out where I can get good milk that isn't ultra pasteurized.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
None of the cheaper (~$200) immersion circulators are universal voltage, are they? Live in Japan now (110V), gonna be back in the US for four months at the end of the year (120V), moving to Australia in a year (220V).

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I'm just using a normal pot right now for my Anova but I'm looking to get a better container. Is this the best option: http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189CW135-Polycarbonate-Camwear-1-75-Gallon/dp/B002NQB63E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

One review says the Anova doesn't fit great with it because of the shape of the side and the Anova screw while another review says it does in fact work well. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Random Hero posted:

I'm just using a normal pot right now for my Anova but I'm looking to get a better container. Is this the best option: http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189CW135-Polycarbonate-Camwear-1-75-Gallon/dp/B002NQB63E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

One review says the Anova doesn't fit great with it because of the shape of the side and the Anova screw while another review says it does in fact work well. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks.

The pictures I have seen of the Anova on the cambro show the screw hitting the edge of the lip on the outside and kind of rocking on the top of the edge. I have that container and use it with my polyscience and it works great. You could notch out the lip where you put the Anova and you would probably be fine.

I have seen ones like this with the Anova on it and they looked like they fit well.
http://www.amazon.com/CamSquare-8-Q...keywords=cambro

Here is a video that shows how the Anova fits on the 4.75 gallon cambro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTrYNEeH03I

edit:added the video link.

dotster fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 17, 2014

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Random Hero posted:

Look for the 18CW model - 18CW 8" 27 qt. 12 3/4" x 20 7/8"

They sell it at Williams-Sonoma for 20$. The lip isn't an issue on this one and I believe the smaller versions have the same lip.

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012

dotster posted:

Now I just have to figure out where I can get good milk that isn't ultra pasteurized.

Isn't the only milk that's ultra pasteurized the stuff that doesn't need to be refrigerated until it's opened? I think the jugs of it are just regular pasteurized.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

Isn't the only milk that's ultra pasteurized the stuff that doesn't need to be refrigerated until it's opened? I think the jugs of it are just regular pasteurized.

Almost all the fancy organic milk is ultra-pasteurized, the cheaper stuff is not. Raw milk is scarce this time of year in my area.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is it better to get like one of the real rectangular cambro or a short and long rectangular cambro? They don't appear to have like regular square cambros.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

SlayVus posted:

Is it better to get like one of the real rectangular cambro or a short and long rectangular cambro? They don't appear to have like regular square cambros.

I don't think it matters so long as your circulator can heat it and what you are cooking fits in it. I did a dinner for eight in the 4.75 gallon cambro and that is the one I use the most often.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

When I was a kid my mother made a lot of yogurt in an improvised incubator setup. We would get big boxes of powdered milk from the government and use that. I wonder if it would work for this as well. Powdered milk can be pretty cheap.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Breaky posted:

When I was a kid my mother made a lot of yogurt in an improvised incubator setup. We would get big boxes of powdered milk from the government and use that. I wonder if it would work for this as well. Powdered milk can be pretty cheap.

Looks like it will.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/yogurt.htm

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Has anyone here experimented with smoking and sous vide? A lot of barbecue is about hitting specific temp marks and I'm curious to know what kind of techniques can blend.

I've read mostly about ribs, likely since they're an easy job with the proportions of most sous vide. I'd love to try brisket and shoulder.

A lot of recipes for ribs I see start in the barrel, smoke for 4ish hours, then end up in the bath till temp before ending up back on the grill or under a broiler.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have a baby back rack in the freezer I'm contemplating trying out different ways, maybe I'll do that next week

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 18, 2014

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Found a Nomiku sous vide primer that I didn't see linked in the thread http://www.nomiku.com/files/pdf/primer.pdf, some of the stuff in there looks pretty standard but it has some good looking recipes.

d6r9b
May 5, 2003
Just got my Anova a week ago. I went to a restaurant supply auction with my friend who owns a food truck. I picked up an 18qt cambro for $10 brand new. Just cut the lid to fit around it. I've done short ribs already and can't really decide what to do next.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is just for my own personal gratification, but if I had one (waiting for a Sansaire), I would be making eggs for brunch every weekend. Take photos if you do :fap:

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I think I cracked my granite counter top while sous vizzling. Found a hairline crack under the Cambro. It's been pretty cold lately and the counter just sucks it up, but the area underneath was toasty warm/hot.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

geetee posted:

I think I cracked my granite counter top while sous vizzling. Found a hairline crack under the Cambro. It's been pretty cold lately and the counter just sucks it up, but the area underneath was toasty warm/hot.

I think that's why most people put them on their stove tops or on a wood cutting board when using them.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
So today I was given the front shoulder/top of the leg of a freshly murdered deer. I'd like to SV it, but I'm not sure what sorts of time/temp I should be looking at. The cut is fattier than most venison I've seen, but still pretty lean. I worry about possible parasites if I don't let it go long enough. Advice?

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

After I was inspired by MrEnigma I made some yogurt this weekend, found some fancy un-homogenized low-temp pasteurized milk at whole foods. I used bbum's that was linked earlier.

Here is the milk going in and coming up to temp.

The next morning, you can see it has separated.

Here is the yogurt being strained.

Final product chilling, two quart jars of yogurt and one of whey.

The final product tastes pretty good, I ended up with just over 1.5 qts after straining (saved the two quarts of whey for shakes and cooking). It was a bit lumpy looking but that was right after straining and chilling so maybe it will gel overnight into a smoother consistency.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

dotster posted:

After I was inspired by MrEnigma I made some yogurt this weekend, found some fancy un-homogenized low-temp pasteurized milk at whole foods. I used bbum's that was linked earlier.

Here is the milk going in and coming up to temp.

The next morning, you can see it has separated.

Here is the yogurt being strained.

Final product chilling, two quart jars of yogurt and one of whey.

The final product tastes pretty good, I ended up with just over 1.5 qts after straining (saved the two quarts of whey for shakes and cooking). It was a bit lumpy looking but that was right after straining and chilling so maybe it will gel overnight into a smoother consistency.

Nice! I've done three batches, first I put a ton of starter in and it was separated a lot, came out lumpy in the end. 2nd I did 2 tablespoons in one gallon (I do it in the original jug), third time I did 3 tablespoons.

The 2nd one was by far the best, no separation visible after it was done, the third looked close to what you have. It will be smooth, but the 2nd batch I made was mind boggling smooth.

By the looks of it I'd recommend dropping down the starter amount just a little bit next time, if all else was equal.

Our house (me, wife, 2 kids) have gone through through 3 "gallons" (used three gallons of milk, less after straining) in under a week...

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

MrEnigma posted:

Nice! I've done three batches, first I put a ton of starter in and it was separated a lot, came out lumpy in the end. 2nd I did 2 tablespoons in one gallon (I do it in the original jug), third time I did 3 tablespoons.

The 2nd one was by far the best, no separation visible after it was done, the third looked close to what you have. It will be smooth, but the 2nd batch I made was mind boggling smooth.

By the looks of it I'd recommend dropping down the starter amount just a little bit next time, if all else was equal.

Our house (me, wife, 2 kids) have gone through through 3 "gallons" (used three gallons of milk, less after straining) in under a week...

I did a tablespoon per quart so I can cut that in half and try again. Maybe I will do it in the jug instead of messing with the quart bottles. How muck liquid did you strain off your batches, two quarts seemed like a lot to me?

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

geetee posted:

What temperature were you using?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

TATPants posted:

What temperature were you using?

I think I was doing short ribs at 140F for a couple days while it was something like 0F overnight. Obviously didn't get that cold in my kitchen, but it can get pretty chilly in there.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
Got the Anova a few weeks ago and finally decided to whip it out yesterday.

Attempting a 24+ hour chuck roast.

I did have a question, as a complete sous vide newbie:

If my vacuum sealed pouch touches the Anova stick while it is in use, is there any risk of melting or other undesired effects? It doesn't seem like it's hot enough to cause any damage, but I'd really love to know for sure. The first time I ran it at 130 F, but what about higher temperatures? Any danger there? I'm worried. :ohdear:

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

geetee posted:

I think I was doing short ribs at 140F for a couple days while it was something like 0F overnight. Obviously didn't get that cold in my kitchen, but it can get pretty chilly in there.

Its very unlikely that the sous vide broke your countertop. I could see it maybe happening if you put a bath of like 170 degree water directly on top of a 50 degree counter, but if you started with tap water and heated it up, it should not have caused it.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Five Spice posted:

Got the Anova a few weeks ago and finally decided to whip it out yesterday.

Attempting a 24+ hour chuck roast.

I did have a question, as a complete sous vide newbie:

If my vacuum sealed pouch touches the Anova stick while it is in use, is there any risk of melting or other undesired effects? It doesn't seem like it's hot enough to cause any damage, but I'd really love to know for sure. The first time I ran it at 130 F, but what about higher temperatures? Any danger there? I'm worried. :ohdear:

I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I haven't noticed anything when I've had bags or eggs against the device.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

TATPants posted:

Its very unlikely that the sous vide broke your countertop. I could see it maybe happening if you put a bath of like 170 degree water directly on top of a 50 degree counter, but if you started with tap water and heated it up, it should not have caused it.

It is possible that it is just house settling that has caused a crack in the top that just happens to be where you put your water oven. It could also be a surface crack from repeated heating over time along with the weight of the the setup, either way some kind of insulator like a wood cutting board sounds like a good idea.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

I was looking for a solution to more easily transport and insulate my setup and came across this site Custom Cooler Bags. I checked with them and a bag that would hold the cambro 4.75 gallon box and have a flap in the top so you could keep the insulated bag on the cambro while cooking was $125. A little high for just home use but if you take your rig back and forth a lot it might be worth it, just toss your circulator and other cooking gear in the cambro and then lug it around in the insulated bag. If others have a good solution for this I would be interested in seeing them.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

This + the camera thread inspired me to take the leap into sous vide, so I bought an Anova the other day. Unfortunately I received an email the next day saying that there was a backlog and shipment would be delayed for three weeks. This isn't mentioned anywhere during the purchasing process, so just a heads up to prospective buyers.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Made some 48 hour ribs (from the sous vide supreme blog). Those things are pretty amazing. The meat was buttery and awesome, and the prep time was incredibly minimal (paprika, salt, pepper, sugar onto ribs; bag, seal, 48 hours at 61*; BBQ sauce, oven, serve) - everyone should make these.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I see the sansaire blog is saying they've started shipping an initial batch to various warehouses around the world.
With one being in London I'm guessing I won't have any customs charges to pay on receipt. Which I think I would have had to pay had I cancelled and opted for the anova instead. I suppose that's one bonus of having to wait so long. (Ordered in October)

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

MeKeV posted:

I see the sansaire blog is saying they've started shipping an initial batch to various warehouses around the world.
With one being in London I'm guessing I won't have any customs charges to pay on receipt. Which I think I would have had to pay had I cancelled and opted for the anova instead. I suppose that's one bonus of having to wait so long. (Ordered in October)

quote:

VAT, Duties, Taxes & Fees

We’ve promised to cover fees associated with receiving your Sansaire for our Kickstarter backers (such as VAT, duties and others). Every country has different importation rules and regulations, which makes it impossible for us to pre-pay duties for all of our backer. By importing into the UK and Canada ourselves, we’ll be able to pre-pay VAT for those regions.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
It seems everyone and their mother jumped on the ANOVA bandwagon when they dropped the price (at least I've seen it recommended by us, egullet and reddit). Good for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

Kaedric posted:

This + the camera thread inspired me to take the leap into sous vide, so I bought an Anova the other day. Unfortunately I received an email the next day saying that there was a backlog and shipment would be delayed for three weeks. This isn't mentioned anywhere during the purchasing process, so just a heads up to prospective buyers.

quote:

Shipping Notes:

* 120V / United States: Orders ship within 21 business days; No shipping to P.O. Boxes; indirect signature required.

That's on the order page. I ordered a second unit in late December when it was still stating 1-3 business days, and it just shipped this week. :geno:

I did some 48hr short ribs @ 140 the other night and wasn't terribly impressed with the final result, so I used them in a grilled cheese with fontina, onions and fig preserves on sourdough. Awesome.