Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
Is there any guides to installing Shoker 2.0 for COP? No matter which order I install the patch and translation (or not at all) it crashes after the various intro movies finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Reivax posted:

Is there any guides to installing Shoker 2.0 for COP? No matter which order I install the patch and translation (or not at all) it crashes after the various intro movies finish.

Are you launching it from Host.exe in your bin folder or trying to launch it from a regular Stalker shortcut?

It needs to be launched from Host.exe in the bin folder, and due to that may not be compatible with Steam versions of the game. It can't be launched like a regular stalker mod as it depends on that exe to load some new lua dll's that allow the new features it has.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For what it's worth, the Steam versions of the games are rather incompatible with the newer stuff coming out for the games. In Shadow of Chernobyl I had a hell of a time trying to get the keylogger script to run, then I realized that launching the game through steam somehow ran the executable in a way that didn't load in the asi files, but launching the executable directly did.

Weird poo poo. At this point, given that GSC is effectively dead apart from the one guy holding the rights, I doubt you'd get into a huge amount of poo poo for using a third party version of the executable files. Hell, GSC even released an "official" 1.0006 exe for SoC that is essentially the 1.0006 version with no copy protection at all, and modders have used that as a basis for a lot of the cooler engine mods.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MadBimber posted:

I've always preferred that bullet drop as I learned quite early to account for it, even out to ranges where you can barely see through the fog. The 9x39 guns tend to be almost 100% accurate, so all you need to worry about to score that quiet headshot is properly leading and ranging your shot.

The Shoker Mod changes the base 9x39 round to be 4 times less accurate compared to it's AP variant. Honestly, the mods weapons are kinda like the base game in that the G36 is the best all around weapon in the game. :v:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Acquire Currency! posted:

"Baby you're hotter than a fire anomaly and I'm trying to Stalk that."

"You're so hot, I have to wait for a patch so my protection will keep me from instantly dying when I'm inside you."

That's an ol' Misery 2.0 joke for ya. :tipshat:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

(Let's) GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

"Is that your artifact detector, or are you just happy to see me?"

"An emission is coming, if you know what I mean..."

"Wanna swap stashes?"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"You're so hot, I have to wait for a patch so my protection will keep me from instantly dying when I'm inside you."

That's an ol' Misery 2.0 joke for ya. :tipshat:

"After I see you my weapon deterioration decreases."

"You must be a controller because I'm crazy for you."

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I'm playing Misery 2.02 and I'm seriously struggling to get the three Veles Detectors for Owls mission. I got one from the bloodsucker mission, I've done all other missions in Zaton and most of Jupiter, as well as spent a good number of days hunting for stalkers at the anomaly fields and never found another one. Any tips? Are there any stashes that have a Veles?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Domattee posted:

I'm playing Misery 2.02 and I'm seriously struggling to get the three Veles Detectors for Owls mission. I got one from the bloodsucker mission, I've done all other missions in Zaton and most of Jupiter, as well as spent a good number of days hunting for stalkers at the anomaly fields and never found another one. Any tips? Are there any stashes that have a Veles?

There's one in the cabin of the excavator in the village you visit with Yar

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Just some packs of cigarettes there for me. I did the last scientist mission and they started selling them so I did finally get the Svarog.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
A short while ago I had the idea of creating a mod for Misery that replaced the classes with Seinfeld characters.

I'm thinking: Jerry as the Sniper, Kramer as the Recon, George as the Assault.

I was also going to replace the character's dialog with dialog from Seinfeld to see if it could fit.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

A short while ago I had the idea of creating a mod for Misery that replaced the classes with Seinfeld characters.

I was also going to replace the character's dialog with dialog from Seinfeld to see if it could fit.

Kramer as anything other than assualt? Busting through the boat door. Beurers replaced with Newman.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Beurers replaced with Newman.

I was about to say the same thing.

Something like

but with a bit more effort

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I was thinking Kramer being recon because he's rather wiley. George could work as Recon though, since even he doesn't want to be George.

I was thinking Sultan would be Newman. I guess it was funnier in my head, but given the ultra-serious tone they went for in Misery, having Seinfeld characters be plonked into the world with no real reference to them seemed hilarious to me.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

I was thinking Kramer being recon because he's rather wiley. George could work as Recon though, since even he doesn't want to be George.

I was thinking Sultan would be Newman. I guess it was funnier in my head, but given the ultra-serious tone they went for in Misery, having Seinfeld characters be plonked into the world with no real reference to them seemed hilarious to me.

Making the game over screen just the Soup Nazi guy would be pretty funny.

Finding sponge anomalies for stalker E. Boosler.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

GEORGE IS GETTIN CHIKI

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

LordLeckie posted:

GEORGE IS GETTIN CHIKI

*Flails arms wildly* "AHHHHH, CHIKI BRIKI, Jerry! Just CHIKI BRIKI!"

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
So my lovely laptop can run both SoC and CS smoothly on low settings. Do I have a prayer of being able to run CoP in a playable state?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Sheen Sheen posted:

So my lovely laptop can run both SoC and CS smoothly on low settings. Do I have a prayer of being able to run CoP in a playable state?

I honestly think CoP runs better than CS, so if you can run CS, you can run CoP.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I honestly think CoP runs better than CS, so if you can run CS, you can run CoP.

Cool. I mean, CS looks pretty lovely on my laptop, but it runs at a high frame rate with no stuttering.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CoP stutters like a motherfucker on its own.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

LordLeckie posted:

GEORGE IS GETTIN CHIKI

hooooooly poo poo ahahahaha, if only.

Vorgimmler
May 7, 2009

GunganRevenge posted:

Oh, yeah, the Vintorez is p sweet, IIRC.

Leaving and Coming back in isn't working.

I know this is over a week out, but I've found the trick for dealing with a non-responsive Sakharov is to make a save right in front of him and reload. It always works for me as it gets his scripts running again and he walks right over to the counter like normal.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Plus one to the above, also, in some mods its almost mandatory to save scum like that,
to get [certain plot traders] to have an inventory change.
"Yes professor, your friend is safe, now, I understand you sell tactilol shotguns for science."

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

thekimjong-illest posted:

Ah, so you got to I'm assuming the agroprom underground, then were given the quest to go to the wild territory and save Kruglov from the merc ambush to get to Yantar and lab x-16. I'd really suggest giving SoC another go round with something like the Zone Reclamation Project installed. None of the other games really touched just how fantastic the first game was in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I love CoP and to a lesser extent CS, but the level of exploration available in SoC is just amazing.

It's hard to put your finger on, but SOC is persistently engaging in a subtly different manner to COP; I think it might just be the density of the maps. COP is fantastic but vanilla tails off sharply and some areas (notably Pripyat) feel very under utilised - lots to see, little to do.

Vanilla COP felt quite a bit easier to me, too. This isn't really a complaint - SOC is teeth-grindingly hard for new players. I don't think there's much in COP that compares to Agroprom's basement and military fight, all before the player has accumulated decent kit.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I feel that the much tighter smaller and restricted maps that are divided up into very distinct sections helps give ShoC its feeling, every area has some new fantastical horror and obstacle to overcome and can let you stray off the beaten path very quick. While you can walk off in any direction you please in CoP you generally wont stumble across any interesting terrain to navigate given all the anomalies got clustered up into the named areas. Compare that to say getting to the garbage at night and having a shootout with bandits and then making your way to agroprom and THEN discovering the underground underneath it all as well as all these small side areas that you might miss like the hills near the rail tunnel which have dogs and artifacts hiding in them. I guess not letting you get overly familiar with an area too quickly helps a lot, also significant terrain variance like the maze of the wilds between Yantar and bar, extreme exposure of the dark valley etc.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've got the Darkscape/Dark Hollow map and it's amazing how large it is. I guess I can see why they didn't include it, since cars are kind of wonky (I've hopefully fixed that, though)

The main quest section involves you driving a car, or a series of cars, from the Dark Valley to the Cordon while a military chopper pursues you and various military roadblocks are set up (including them pushing cars off the top of a bridge to block you)

There's a HUGE section of the map that is almost completely unused, though. A huge forest area with little camps etc.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

I've got the Darkscape/Dark Hollow map and it's amazing how large it is. I guess I can see why they didn't include it, since cars are kind of wonky (I've hopefully fixed that, though)

The main quest section involves you driving a car, or a series of cars, from the Dark Valley to the Cordon while a military chopper pursues you and various military roadblocks are set up (including them pushing cars off the top of a bridge to block you)

There's a HUGE section of the map that is almost completely unused, though. A huge forest area with little camps etc.

Keep cars, I was fooling around in one in Oblivion Lost for SoC and hit one of the whirlygig anomalies, cue 7 seconds of airtime as I Tokyo Drift through open air.
Also drat does SoC become easier through just blind luck. I had kick-rear end weapon drops and often times I'll find anomalies just wondering around in the distance. Didn't even save scum x18, felt like a drat champion.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Didn't even save scum x18, felt like a drat champion.

Are you referring to the burner anomalies in the lab, or the super-soldiers that come for you afterwards? Because, drat, I didn't remember those soldiers being so drat tough before. I swear it's only later when you encounter the monolith guys you come across such hard targets.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sulman posted:

Are you referring to the burner anomalies in the lab, or the super-soldiers that come for you afterwards? Because, drat, I didn't remember those soldiers being so drat tough before. I swear it's only later when you encounter the monolith guys you come across such hard targets.

Both. Of course I still have x16 left to do and I've never actually completed the game but this might be it. I don't know about my chances once I get to Pripyat. I only started this new game after my other Marked One came down with a bad case of 'annoying un curable swaying screen' syndrome in the city.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Both. Of course I still have x16 left to do and I've never actually completed the game but this might be it. I don't know about my chances once I get to Pripyat. I only started this new game after my other Marked One came down with a bad case of 'annoying un curable swaying screen' syndrome in the city.

Funnily enough on my first SOC Complete playthrough back in 2009 I bugged out at Pripyat. I'm not sure why, I just tired of the grind I guess, as I'd kinda rushed through it all.

LordLeckie posted:

I feel that the much tighter smaller and restricted maps that are divided up into very distinct sections helps give ShoC its feeling, every area has some new fantastical horror and obstacle to overcome and can let you stray off the beaten path very quick. While you can walk off in any direction you please in CoP you generally wont stumble across any interesting terrain to navigate given all the anomalies got clustered up into the named areas. Compare that to say getting to the garbage at night and having a shootout with bandits and then making your way to agroprom and THEN discovering the underground underneath it all as well as all these small side areas that you might miss like the hills near the rail tunnel which have dogs and artifacts hiding in them. I guess not letting you get overly familiar with an area too quickly helps a lot, also significant terrain variance like the maze of the wilds between Yantar and bar, extreme exposure of the dark valley etc.

You're constantly pressured, too. It has that same quality as System Shock II where you can never get too confident in what you're about to walk into; even with decent weapons and ammo you can have one encounter that is so challenging it leaves you on the back foot, and it's then followed by a random bandit run-in, for example. In COP (vanilla) you can reach a point reasonably early where you feel in control. The mutants are the only real threat. With a decent rifle and ammo you can pretty much deal with any human encounters.

COP's much better for my heart rate, I can tell you that...

Sulman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 20, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Keep cars, I was fooling around in one in Oblivion Lost for SoC and hit one of the whirlygig anomalies, cue 7 seconds of airtime as I Tokyo Drift through open air.
Also drat does SoC become easier through just blind luck. I had kick-rear end weapon drops and often times I'll find anomalies just wondering around in the distance. Didn't even save scum x18, felt like a drat champion.

There's a fun way to do the Dark Hollow. If you help Borov get the documents from the lab, and go back to him when the military arrive, I've made it so he'll give you the keys to his ferrari. I figure he's rich enough to have a few to spare.

It's the fastest car in the game but it's rather delicate. It does mean with some proper driving skills you can blaze past all the military checkpoints with ease.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
how do I survive misery long enough to get to skadovsk, starting as recon.

It feels like snorks are everywhere and possess x-ray vision

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Revener posted:

how do I survive misery long enough to get to skadovsk, starting as recon.

It feels like snorks are everywhere and possess x-ray vision

I think I just crept around really slowly until I got past all of them. Dunno if something's changed for the new ver of Misery tho

I guess speaking of, I think people were saying that recons were messed up in old versions of misery. Are they fixed now?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
So I have clear sky and call of pripyat and I'm looking for some kind of faction wars mod. If that isn't self explanatory i'm looking for a mod that for the most part turns the game world into a giant persistent sandbox where factions are constantly fighting each other and taking/occupying territory. Hopefully one where you can join into the fighting in a deep way like clearly taking sides and working for factions. A mod that simply creates a constant battle between all the factions in every area would be nice too.

The vanilla and modded vanilla experience is nice but I would like chaos to be constantly going on all around me. Preferably chaos that makes a difference in the game world (not actual changes to the map but changes to factions standings and occupations of areas in the world)

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

I'm playing Misery 2.1's beta as the sniper and I finally got to Pripyat. I did actually discover something likely that was causing crashes in previous making me unable to complete the game. When you order a custom gun from Nimble and Snag accuses you of it being stolen, I left it at that. If you confront people about it, Snag disappears like normal and the bandits spawn, but if you need to load any saves after Snag leaves, it crashes the game. :psyduck: I loaded from an earlier save and ignored it and its been fine since.

What is driving me a bit mad is trying to find the calibration tools. I looked in the usual spots in vanilla and where I think I saw them in 2.0. I'm pretty stumped on where to find any because this SEVA suit needs some air conditioning.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

There's a fun way to do the Dark Hollow. If you help Borov get the documents from the lab, and go back to him when the military arrive, I've made it so he'll give you the keys to his ferrari. I figure he's rich enough to have a few to spare.

It's the fastest car in the game but it's rather delicate. It does mean with some proper driving skills you can blaze past all the military checkpoints with ease.

Delicate? Dude I stabbed the steering wheel of a car and it blew up.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Well, Its some kind of soviet car alarm. or, as google translate delicately put it :"If this assembly on what that to the reasons is not pleasant to you that can not establish it,
???????? its."

Some content: its wintertime, and its time to play stalker once again, as I got sick of faffing about with XRebirth3, trying out Geonezis take on SGM 2.

Also, Oblivion Lost 2 came out on the 17th. its awaiting modb updates, but : http://yadi.sk/d/r86aX0ESGF7vp have fun.

staberind fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 21, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In Ukraine, car hijacks you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Delicate? Dude I stabbed the steering wheel of a car and it blew up.

That works on APCs in the vanilla game as well, actually. Devs forgot to set correct stab damage immunity values for vehicles :v: