Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Geoj posted:

According to this T-Mobile throttles you pretty severely after going over your limit - from 4G speeds down to .07 mbps, which is about 70 kB/s. That *might* be enough to stream a podcast.

If using an app like pocket casts setting it to download podcasts in the background while you're sitting at home on WiFi would negate the need to always stream them. But of course sometimes that's not ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
I apologize if this has already been covered, but I've seen a lot of conflicting information on these topics.

I'd like to pay upfront for an iPhone 5s, and use it on the Verizon network without a contract. I've seen conflicting reports on whether or not this is possible with Straight Talk or any of the other MVNOs. I don't have the phone yet or any current service plan with anybody (aside from T-Mobile prepaid with my oldschool Nokia candy bar, from which I'd like to port the number).

I'm also confused because it looks like the only unlocked phones that Apple sells are GSM only, and they give you a choice of whether you want to have a T-Mobile SIM included with the phone. So, is it even possible to pay upfront for the full cost of an iPhone 5s that will work with the Verizon network? If so, which MVNO should I use, or would I have to use Verizon themselves? I'd really appreciate any advice on this.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I can confirm that video chat in Hangouts works on AIO, so it should work fine on AT&T now.

Used 256mb just doing a call today. AIO is the loving best. Straight Talk would've throttled me by now. :v:

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 11, 2014

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Smilin Joe Fission posted:

I apologize if this has already been covered, but I've seen a lot of conflicting information on these topics.

I'd like to pay upfront for an iPhone 5s, and use it on the Verizon network without a contract. I've seen conflicting reports on whether or not this is possible with Straight Talk or any of the other MVNOs. I don't have the phone yet or any current service plan with anybody (aside from T-Mobile prepaid with my oldschool Nokia candy bar, from which I'd like to port the number).

I'm also confused because it looks like the only unlocked phones that Apple sells are GSM only, and they give you a choice of whether you want to have a T-Mobile SIM included with the phone. So, is it even possible to pay upfront for the full cost of an iPhone 5s that will work with the Verizon network? If so, which MVNO should I use, or would I have to use Verizon themselves? I'd really appreciate any advice on this.

The Straight Talk iPhones sold through their website and Walmart run in Verizon's 3G network--no LTE. In the past, Walmart has had No Interest Financing for iPhones but I'm not sure if that's still active. The StraightTalk(Verizon) Carrier Update disables LTE, but they're SIM-unlocked and so should work on ATT and Tmobile. I think using new ATT or Tmobile SIM should trigger a carrier update for that network which should enable the LTE radio, but you should research this for yourself.

At this point, Verizon isn't allowing their MVNOs access to LTE or their LTE phone activation process. Using a LTE phone on other MVNOs like PagePlus requires flashing, and you're limited to 1x or 3G depending on the phone.

If you're comfortable paying Verizon's prices, you can pay full price for a Verizon iPhone and start a postpaid plan with no contract. Verizon LTE phones are SIM-unlocked, so it will also work with Tmobile and ATT just like the StraightTalk one.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 12, 2014

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

The Straight Talk iPhones sold through their website and Walmart run in Verizon's 3G network--no LTE. In the past, Walmart has had No Interest Financing for iPhones but I'm not sure if that's still active. The StraightTalk(Verizon) Carrier Update disables LTE, but they're SIM-unlocked and so should work on ATT and Tmobile. I think using new ATT or Tmobile SIM should trigger a carrier update for that network which should enable the LTE radio, but you should research this for yourself.

At this point, Verizon isn't allowing their MVNOs access to LTE or their LTE phone activation process. Using a LTE phone on other MVNOs like PagePlus requires flashing, and you're limited to 1x or 3G depending on the phone.

If you're comfortable paying Verizon's prices, you can pay full price for a Verizon iPhone and start a postpaid plan with no contract. Verizon LTE phones are SIM-unlocked, so it will also work with Tmobile and ATT just like the StraightTalk one.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. It sounds like my best option may be to just buy the iPhone upfront from Verizon and sign up for a postpaid plan with no contract. Looks like it's not as cheap as using an MVNO, but the non-contract plans are still quite a bit cheaper compared to the regular ones. Over the course of two years it looks to be around $500 cheaper factoring in the total cost of the phone and service, since the savings on the monthly plan more than offset the extra I'd be paying for the phone itself.

I'm surprised more people don't do this actually. Must be just the fact that it isn't really promoted by the carriers as an option, or people just don't have the extra cash to front even though it would be quite a bit cheaper long term.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
When I joined my company I ported my number over to them (AT&T) since I had to have a corporate phone. I've got a new corporate phone with a different number and want to transfer my old number to Google Voice but Voice doesn't support porting from Corporate plans for some reason.

Anyone got an suggestions on how to port it to a prepaid plan short-term so I can port it over to google voice?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ashex posted:

When I joined my company I ported my number over to them (AT&T) since I had to have a corporate phone. I've got a new corporate phone with a different number and want to transfer my old number to Google Voice but Voice doesn't support porting from Corporate plans for some reason.

Anyone got an suggestions on how to port it to a prepaid plan short-term so I can port it over to google voice?

Might not be able to port out period. Keep in mind you are on a corporate account now. Porting cancels the service you are porting from therefore you can see how it might not be possible to port out (can't cancel part of a giant corporate account).

Might try asking in the ATT thread there are quite a few ATT employees there.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

You can port out from corporate accounts, it's just a bit more convoluted and requires the help of whoever runs the corporate phone account at your (former) company.

I ported out when I left my old company that used AT&T to my own personal T-Mobile account. I had to initiate contact with T-mobile and then get the phone guy from my old company on the line with T-mobile to complete the process.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Bleh, that does sound like a pain. I moved out of the country so I'll just sit on this number until I go back to visit or something.

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006
Question about signing up on the AIO site. When I enter my IMEI number to check my phone's compatibility I'm told that I'll only be able to get up to 2G speed. This is an iPhone 4. Shouldn't the data speed be 3G?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dr.bateman posted:

Question about signing up on the AIO site. When I enter my IMEI number to check my phone's compatibility I'm told that I'll only be able to get up to 2G speed. This is an iPhone 4. Shouldn't the data speed be 3G?

Should be. Did someone slip you one of those crippled Sprint ones?

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006

The Entire Universe posted:

Should be. Did someone slip you one of those crippled Sprint ones?

Well I'm on ATT and have been for a number of years. The phone in question IS a refurb that was given to me at the Apple store about two years ago.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dr.bateman posted:

Well I'm on ATT and have been for a number of years. The phone in question IS a refurb that was given to me at the Apple store about two years ago.

If it's gotten 3G on ATT before there's absolutely no reason it won't get it on Aio. They are literally the same towers, ATT owns Aio.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hey, TEU, did you sell your Nexus 4 for the 5? How much did you get for it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Moto G got a Google Play edition. $180 for an 8 gb model, $200 for the 16 gb. Ships in 1-2 days.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Uthor posted:

Moto G got a Google Play edition. $180 for an 8 gb model, $200 for the 16 gb. Ships in 1-2 days.

This is lacking the following items pre-installed as opposed to the original Moto G. Other than that, it's pretty much the same exact thing as buying from Motorola or Amazon.
See here.

Features not included

FM Radio

Motorola Assist

Motorola Boot Services

Motorola Camera

Moto Care/Help

Motorola Connect

Motorola Device ID

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

SB35 posted:

This is lacking the following items pre-installed as opposed to the original Moto G. Other than that, it's pretty much the same exact thing as buying from Motorola or Amazon.
See here.

Features not included

FM Radio

Motorola Assist

Motorola Boot Services

Motorola Camera

Moto Care/Help

Motorola Connect

Motorola Device ID

Also, its the International GSM version, which doesn't have AWS 1700 like the US GSM version.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SB35 posted:

I would argue it would get Android updates for a longer time, but I don't think GPE phones have been around long enough to say for certain. I'm finding I care about that more than any exclusive features in cell phones these days.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Looking to put my wife on ST from post paid ATT. She has an iPhone 4s. I've ordered an ATT ST micro SIM.

I've googled but results are generally old and unreliable since things change all the time. My questions are:

Does iMessage work 100%?
Facetime over a cellular connection?
Visual voicemail on the iPhone?

I presume MMS works fine as well, correct?

Are calls to other ATT customers considered mobile to mobile? I don't think her mom has unlimited minutes (she has ATT).

Lastly is the 2.5gig cap inclusive of streaming? I know they were strict when it was a soft limit but now that its defined as 2.5 gigs do they care if you stream audio pre 2.5 gigs?

Basically I need this to operate the same as post paid ATT that she has used for years. I can deal with issues and other differences but she doesn't have the patience.

Thanks

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hey, TEU, did you sell your Nexus 4 for the 5? How much did you get for it?

I got impatient and used Gazelle, got $135.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hotsauce posted:

Looking to put my wife on ST from post paid ATT. She has an iPhone 4s. I've ordered an ATT ST micro SIM.

I've googled but results are generally old and unreliable since things change all the time. My questions are:

Does iMessage work 100%?

Are calls to other ATT customers considered mobile to mobile? I don't think her mom has unlimited minutes (she has ATT).

Lastly is the 2.5gig cap inclusive of streaming? I know they were strict when it was a soft limit but now that its defined as 2.5 gigs do they care if you stream audio pre 2.5 gigs?

Basically I need this to operate the same as post paid ATT that she has used for years. I can deal with issues and other differences but she doesn't have the patience.

Thanks

People familiar with ST are in the same boat because nobody loving knows. I'm fairly sure Carlos Slim himself couldn't get answers for you.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Does iMessage work 100%?

Thanks

Girlfriend is using AT&T ST on her iPhone 5 so lemme see what I can do for you.

Does iMessage work 100%? Yes.
Facetime over a cellular connection? Yes.
Visual voicemail on the iPhone? I dunno, she hates voicemail, didn't activate it.

I presume MMS works fine as well, correct? yes, it should with the recent carrier update (last Oct/Nov or so) when you get the APN installed your carrier should show as TFW This guide is thorough

Are calls to other ATT customers considered mobile to mobile? I don't think her mom has unlimited minutes (she has ATT). Nope. ST has unlimited minutes, and her mom must have free nights and weekends or something. Isn't there like a myfave5 or something for ATT postpaid?

Lastly is the 2.5gig cap inclusive of streaming? I know they were strict when it was a soft limit but now that its defined as 2.5 gigs do they care if you stream audio pre 2.5 gigs? :iiam: Probably depends on the market. You're still probably risking it if you stream a lot in one go. GF doesn't do much beyond occasional Pandora/email/maps/web

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SB35 posted:

Girlfriend is using AT&T ST on her iPhone 5 so lemme see what I can do for you.
Nice, thank you.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey guys, sorry if this has been posted a bunch. I think I even asked once but don't think I got a response:

What's the best, most cost effective way to have high speed mobile hotspot service that is pay as you go/pre paid?

It almost HAS to be on AT&T network, because its the only network in my city (Miami) which LTE speeds almost everywhere. Sprint/Wi-Max is horrible (so no Karma) and Verizon is an unknown entity to me but I am open to it.

Can I stick a Straight Talk AT&T sim into a hotspot? I know ST sells their own hotspots but they look cheap and their plans for hotspots are weird, I buy a certain number of gigs for a certain number of days (3o or 60) and I don't use them, they disappear, and if I go OVER the gigs, I have to refill or something before I can continue.

Any other options?

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
fraeulin doesn't like linux/GNOME :(
Did so I change their plans completely? I recall you could buy into tiers of minutes or data, and if you went over, you got bumped up to the next tier for that month. Now they only have preset plans. Ann I missing something?

dentata
Mar 29, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

Hey guys, sorry if this has been posted a bunch. I think I even asked once but don't think I got a response:

What's the best, most cost effective way to have high speed mobile hotspot service that is pay as you go/pre paid?

It almost HAS to be on AT&T network, because its the only network in my city (Miami) which LTE speeds almost everywhere. Sprint/Wi-Max is horrible (so no Karma) and Verizon is an unknown entity to me but I am open to it.

Can I stick a Straight Talk AT&T sim into a hotspot? I know ST sells their own hotspots but they look cheap and their plans for hotspots are weird, I buy a certain number of gigs for a certain number of days (3o or 60) and I don't use them, they disappear, and if I go OVER the gigs, I have to refill or something before I can continue.

Any other options?

OK I know you said it has to be at&t but have you looked at T-Mobile at all? Coverage looks good for Miami and they do have data only plans... I think their prices are pretty reasonable: http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/mobile-internet.html#tab-navigation

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I actually have T-Mobile for myself on my phone. It's good, and when it has LTE its quite fast, but I find it doesnt have as good coverage as AT&T. South Florida is Bellsouth/AT&T country, they have the best everything. The hotspot is not for me per se but rather for my job, and they need most assured coverage possible, so thats why I was thinking about it.

I will look into it though.

So, when i DO look at hotspots on Straight Talk, they dont seem to mention whether youd be getting a t mobile or att sim for it. Does anyone know how I find this out?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Anyone want to buy a Straight Talk $45 card for like $30? I bought it last year because I was going to switch to prepaid...then I signed up for another two years of Sprint (:suicide:) and forgot about it.

e: gone

Wish I had been more patient because Aio looks awesome.

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 18, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So, I know AIO is a division of AT&T, but is it the exact same network? I see that they suffered a outage last month, but it sems it only affected AIO users, suggesting that its a different network.

Basically, will AIO be as fast and reliable as my fiances AT&T, which always has coverage and fast LTE?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Gozinbulx posted:

So, I know AIO is a division of AT&T, but is it the exact same network? I see that they suffered a outage last month, but it sems it only affected AIO users, suggesting that its a different network.

Basically, will AIO be as fast and reliable as my fiances AT&T, which always has coverage and fast LTE?

It's not a division of AT&T, it's an MVNO. The short answer is "usually, but with hiccups at the carrier's discretion"

EDIT: An MVNO owned by AT&T, but I guess with the same issues as other MVNOs.

clockworx fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 17, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

clockworx posted:

It's not a division of AT&T, it's an MVNO. The short answer is "usually, but with hiccups at the carrier's discretion"

EDIT: An MVNO owned by AT&T, but I guess with the same issues as other MVNOs.

Also supposedly it's LTE is locked at 8mbps instead of the 20 or so of ATT postpaid LTE. I haven't seen any proof, but AIO does mention it on their webpage.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, got the nokia 521 in today.

Had to call VM to get my account number, and learned if you want to port out they will TOTALLY THROW A FREE MONTH AT YOU, but anyway, got the phone in and got it set up and activated online.

Things that suck (so far)
1: This is my first sim card, so some kinda diagram saying BABBYS FIRST SIM and how to set it in there would be awesome. I figured it out, but it was kinda weird.

2: The screen is cluttered as gently caress.

3: No idea how to just move my contacts in without sucking in everyone I have ever emailed in my life.

4: Windows/MS wants you to send loving EVERYTHING through their data servers. Text inputs, urls, etc. They say it's safe but I still opted out cause that just seems like I'll read about a massive hack in a month and worry about my cards and passwords and whatnot.

5: The UI is just kinda... I dunno if clumsy is the right word but it's not set out like android where poo poo is just THERE and you tap what you want. It literally gives you a list of the programs you have installed and you just swipe down the screen till you find it. Weird. It just not intuitive like android.

6: I don't like the white case on the back. Makes it look like some kinda mexican iphone ripoff you'd buy at the flea market.

7: Plastic switches/buttons.

8: The usb cord is loving TINY. Seriously, it's like 6 inches long.

Things I like (so far)
1: loving 4G OH SWEET GOD I HAVE ACTUAL ACCESS OH HOLY JESUS I HAVE SIGNALS AND poo poo.

2: The main screen, while being incredibly cluttered, is actually pretty easy to follow once you figure out the pattern.

3: The lock screen is nifty, literally swipe up or swipe down.

4: Wifi connects pretty fast. Dunno if it was a problem with my old phone but it seemed like it took forever to connect.

5: It's a nokia so I have a feeling if I need to, I could club a puma to death with it and it'd still make calls.

Things about T-Mobile that I don't like :
1: The activation/sign up seemed to go off without a hitch, but when I went to add money to the account, the website poo poo itself and told me about how auto pay wasn't a valid date when there was poo poo all about auto pay on the screen. I finally went to callingmart.com and got a pin # there to add money to my account.

So far, (4 hours into owning this thing) I'm not peeved about swapping phones. Carriers... no idea yet. Haven't got the number ported yet so I dunno about voice quality, etc. Gonna try netflix later on and see how the screen looks.

All the things I didn't like/don't like are just little piddly poo poo. I will fully admit that. So far, pretty solid phone.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 18, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

3: No idea how to just move my contacts in without sucking in everyone I have ever emailed in my life.

I don't have Windows Phone, but I got my contacts on Windows 8 fairly easily. I logged into Microsoft's website and linked my Google account to their People app. It only pulls my contacts and not everyone I ever emailed.

If that doesn't work, you can delete those emails through email first.

And, yeah, that autopay bug seems to be common for new TMobile accounts. Give it a month.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

Anyone want to buy a Straight Talk $45 card for like $30? I bought it last year because I was going to switch to prepaid...then I signed up for another two years of Sprint (:suicide:) and forgot about it.

Wish I had been more patient because Aio looks awesome.

Um, I will take it. Putting the wife on ST Monday.

PM me the PayPal (?) email.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Um, I will take it. Putting the wife on ST Monday.

PM me the PayPal (?) email.

Sorry, literally just sent it two minutes ago to someone who PMed me.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Welp, got the nokia 521 in today.

Had to call VM to get my account number, and learned if you want to port out they will TOTALLY THROW A FREE MONTH AT YOU, but anyway, got the phone in and got it set up and activated online.

Things that suck (so far)
1: This is my first sim card, so some kinda diagram saying BABBYS FIRST SIM and how to set it in there would be awesome. I figured it out, but it was kinda weird.

2: The screen is cluttered as gently caress.

4: Windows/MS wants you to send loving EVERYTHING through their data servers. Text inputs, urls, etc. They say it's safe but I still opted out cause that just seems like I'll read about a massive hack in a month and worry about my cards and passwords and whatnot.

5: The UI is just kinda... I dunno if clumsy is the right word but it's not set out like android where poo poo is just THERE and you tap what you want. It literally gives you a list of the programs you have installed and you just swipe down the screen till you find it. Weird. It just not intuitive like android.

6: I don't like the white case on the back. Makes it look like some kinda mexican iphone ripoff you'd buy at the flea market.

7: Plastic switches/buttons.

8: The usb cord is loving TINY. Seriously, it's like 6 inches long.

You didn't ask for a response, but as a fellow 521 owner I'm jumping in anyway.

1. I guess if you've never put in a SIM card before it could be strange. They usually have an embossed diagram that makes it pretty quick how it's supposed to be orientated.

2. Main screen can be however you want it. I assume you've figured out how to customize tiles and tile size. Out of the box it's always full of carrier BS and huge tiles, but it takes like 30 seconds to get rid of that poo poo and another couple minutes to make it what you want.

3. This may be gmail or whoever you use for email's fault for saving everyone as a contact.

4. Not sure I even know what you're referring to, but I probably opted in.

5. Once you get the main screen customized it's pretty elegant. Everything that you need all the time is on the top page, secondary stuff is below. Everything you only need every once in a while stays on the app list. Way, way better than Android's wall-of-icons in my opinion, but to each their own. I don't have enough iOS experience to give an opinion.

6. I've never been a fan of white, but mine has grown on me a bit. The 520 has other colored back plates you can swap in for like $10, but they apparently don't fit the 521 for some dumb reason.

7. Considering they need to be part of the snap on case I can't complain too much, but they do feel cheap and thin compared to other phones.

8. I'm not sure why they went with the 1-piece charger + 6" USB cable rather than doing the USB charger and using that cable. I have tons of micro USB cables, but the short one they provide is really nice for keeping in my laptop bag, so I can't complain.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

"BeastOfExmoor & Stupid_Sexy_Flander" posted:

Windows Phone :words:

Either of you guys using the Awful forums viewer on your 521? How is it?

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there any news on when T-Mobile will support the Moto G so I can use the dork plan?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

a retard posted:

Is there any news on when T-Mobile will support the Moto G so I can use the dork plan?

What do you mean by "support?" You should be able to just put the SIM in a Moto G and off you go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

hotsauce posted:

What do you mean by "support?" You should be able to just put the SIM in a Moto G and off you go...

I'm planning on getting a 16GB one when my tax refund comes in and my roommates claiming you can't use a Moto G for the dork plan. And looking at the sim card section, I get this:

Does it actually matter if it's on the compatibility list or can I just slap a SIM card on it since it supports T-Mobile's baseband?

• Locked thread