Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
T-Mobile doesn't care what phone you have. The G should work fine.

Perhaps someone can chime in that actually uses one on T-Mobile, but AFAIK there is zero issue with compatibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Insert SIM, get service.
You may have to adjust the APN settings and AWS support, but I'm pretty sure it will work just fine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

Either of you guys using the Awful forums viewer on your 521? How is it?

Just downloaded it. Works pretty well, except I can't figure out how to go to the last post read instead of a page number when looking at a thread.

Also, had to turn the content filter off, because everything I looked at had ***** ********** ** ***** in it, because we apparently talk rather salty on here :allears:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You didn't ask for a response, but as a fellow 521 owner I'm jumping in anyway.

1. I guess if you've never put in a SIM card before it could be strange. They usually have an embossed diagram that makes it pretty quick how it's supposed to be orientated.

2. Main screen can be however you want it. I assume you've figured out how to customize tiles and tile size. Out of the box it's always full of carrier BS and huge tiles, but it takes like 30 seconds to get rid of that poo poo and another couple minutes to make it what you want.

3. This may be gmail or whoever you use for email's fault for saving everyone as a contact.

4. Not sure I even know what you're referring to, but I probably opted in.

5. Once you get the main screen customized it's pretty elegant. Everything that you need all the time is on the top page, secondary stuff is below. Everything you only need every once in a while stays on the app list. Way, way better than Android's wall-of-icons in my opinion, but to each their own. I don't have enough iOS experience to give an opinion.

6. I've never been a fan of white, but mine has grown on me a bit. The 520 has other colored back plates you can swap in for like $10, but they apparently don't fit the 521 for some dumb reason.

7. Considering they need to be part of the snap on case I can't complain too much, but they do feel cheap and thin compared to other phones.

8. I'm not sure why they went with the 1-piece charger + 6" USB cable rather than doing the USB charger and using that cable. I have tons of micro USB cables, but the short one they provide is really nice for keeping in my laptop bag, so I can't complain.

I guess I'm just used to android. I've used em ever since I got a smartphone that wasn't a palm. It was nice having a page for social stuff, another page for reading stuff, another page for internet stuff, home screen for home/email stuff. this just sorta lobs everything together.

Like I said, all the complaints are all piddly poo poo basically. It's just style vs style when it comes to an operating system, and I'm more used to the other guys. I'll get used to this one.

Haven't had a chance to really DO anything though, cause apparently my port is taking more than 24 hours :argh:

Still, battery life is loving amazing considering I charged it when I got it, and it's still going now, even with wifi on and weather updates and whatnot. Can't wait to see how it works when I actually tie into a cellular network and can make calls and stuff.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

a retard posted:

I'm planning on getting a 16GB one when my tax refund comes in and my roommates claiming you can't use a Moto G for the dork plan. And looking at the sim card section, I get this:

Does it actually matter if it's on the compatibility list or can I just slap a SIM card on it since it supports T-Mobile's baseband?

It said the same thing about my Moto X, yet here I am posting from it over 4g.

On an unrelated note: is it possible to do tethering on the dork plan? I tried tether it but any page I go to on my phone redirects to TMobile.com and is so slow any attempt to log in times out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

To be honest, Android is generally the worst of the three when it comes to battery life. That said, it's not as much a shortfall these days as it is a functional difference in allowable resource usage. If Android had the rigidity that WP or Apple did it would be easier to tailor the software towards more power efficiency. It doesn't, was never designed to, and likely never will. That's where OEM modifications to the OS come in.

I imagine in the near future companies like Samsung and (possibly - assuming their survival) HTC will have nearly complete forks of the OS where they handle core updates, at least for their flagships, totally in-house. At that point it's likely you'll see the kinds of longevity found in the other manufacturer hardware. Stuff like basebands used to require different SKUs but now you have things like the N5 where the radio supports all carriers willing to take it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

a retard posted:

And looking at the sim card section, I get this:

Nthing the "T-Mobile phone compatability guide is worthless" sentiment. My wife is using a GS4 that came from a T-Mobile store and it didn't show up in their database. You'll find out that their web services are somewhat lacking.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
That's good to know, thanks.

The Entire Universe posted:

To be honest, Android is generally the worst of the three when it comes to battery life. That said, it's not as much a shortfall these days as it is a functional difference in allowable resource usage. If Android had the rigidity that WP or Apple did it would be easier to tailor the software towards more power efficiency. It doesn't, was never designed to, and likely never will. That's where OEM modifications to the OS come in.

I imagine in the near future companies like Samsung and (possibly - assuming their survival) HTC will have nearly complete forks of the OS where they handle core updates, at least for their flagships, totally in-house. At that point it's likely you'll see the kinds of longevity found in the other manufacturer hardware. Stuff like basebands used to require different SKUs but now you have things like the N5 where the radio supports all carriers willing to take it.

Considering the Moto G vastly outperforms the 5S in battery life, I'm not sure that's exactly true.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a retard posted:

Considering the Moto G vastly outperforms the 5S in battery life, I'm not sure that's exactly true.

Isn't the Moto G running the heavily-customized version of Android that made the Moto X punch above its weight hardware-wise?

I mean, your post isn't as much a refutation as it is a proof of the point I was making with manufacturer customizations tailoring the OS to their hardware platforms, though I will grant I was talking about the future and not the present.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

a retard posted:

You're kidding, right? The Moto G is 50% thicker than the 5S and 20% heavier. While it does have impressive battery life, it gains it through brute size increases, not good software or hardware engineering. It's thicker than all other flagship phones out there, with size specs that pin it in the era of phones from 2010.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 20, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bobfather posted:

You're kidding, right? The Moto G is 50% thicker than the 5S and 20% heavier. While it does have impressive battery life, it gains it through brute size increases, not good software or hardware engineering. It's thicker than all other flagship phones out there, with size specs that pin it in the era of phones from 2010.

It's also comparable price-wise to the 5S's on-contract price. I don't buy the comparison even if it's got better battery life - the battery is massive in comparison both in capacity and dimension.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

bobfather posted:

It also has a a bigger, higher resolution (in both pixels and DPI) screen. It's 30 grams heavier, not exactly a boat anchor. iPhone 5S is, without a doubt, a superior piece of hardware in every way other than maybe the screen, but it also costs more than 3 times what the Moto G does.

Isn't the Moto G running the heavily-customized version of Android that made the Moto X punch above its weight hardware-wise?

I mean, your post isn't as much a refutation as it is a proof of the point I was making with manufacturer customizations tailoring the OS to their hardware platforms, though I will grant I was talking about the future and not the present.

No, not at all. It's basically about as stock as you're going to get from a non-Nexus device. The Moto X definitely has enhancements, but it's not far from stock Android either. Much different than the devices put out by, say, LG or Samsung.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
It also lacks 4G, which a lot of people seem to leave out when recommending it.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

a retard posted:

I'm planning on getting a 16GB one when my tax refund comes in and my roommates claiming you can't use a Moto G for the dork plan. And looking at the sim card section, I get this:

Does it actually matter if it's on the compatibility list or can I just slap a SIM card on it since it supports T-Mobile's baseband?

Pop in the activated SIM and you'll be good to go. Keep in mind you need the US GSM version in order to get 3G speeds on Tmo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Toilet Clam posted:

It also lacks 4G, which a lot of people seem to leave out when recommending it.

If they make a future rev with LTE it'd be one hell of a phone.

Right now it's a pretty good "flee your carrier" phone.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The software is very stock with a few add-on apps that are very nice, the SoC is the specialized part to allow those apps to work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have an iPhone with the Tmo nerd plan. How do I tether my internet? It's saying I need to add a 15/mo option to be able to do that but I'm hoping it's bullshit.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have an iPhone with the Tmo nerd plan. How do I tether my internet? It's saying I need to add a 15/mo option to be able to do that but I'm hoping it's bullshit.

No bullshit. You have to pay to tether unless you want to jailbreak and other tomfoolery to bypass the fee.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Toilet Clam posted:

On an unrelated note: is it possible to do tethering on the dork plan? I tried tether it but any page I go to on my phone redirects to TMobile.com and is so slow any attempt to log in times out.

There's a $15 tethering rider in your plan settings (online login). As far as I know, pre-4.4 phones will let you tether to any mobile device (or any device properly impersonating a mobile device) but from Kitkat forward there's some sort of alert added so they just know you're tethering without having to check user-agents.

Good reason to keep your older phone around as a backup/traveler.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

sweart gliwere posted:

There's a $15 tethering rider in your plan settings (online login). As far as I know, pre-4.4 phones will let you tether to any mobile device (or any device properly impersonating a mobile device) but from Kitkat forward there's some sort of alert added so they just know you're tethering without having to check user-agents.

Good reason to keep your older phone around as a backup/traveler.

As of 4.3

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

As of 4.3

You sure? I rarely tethered, but my stock G-Nexus didn't have any issues tethering to a Nexus 10 in October 2013.

That would be squarely within 4.3 territory since it was abandoned later that month to 4.3 forever with regard to updates.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, got my number ported.

Finally called tmobile and asked em wtf was up (it was day 3 of nothing happening), they said "Invalid account number!" and I was like "NUH UH" and they were like "TOTES" and I was like "gently caress".

So, I called VM and asked em, and they told me the account number which the first dude I talked to hosed up, so I got the actual real account number and called tmobile back, and told them the new account number, and about 15 seconds later I got a txt on the new phone saying "OMG TOTES PORTED" and a warning to stay on the phone if I call 911 cause it'll be a day or so before the phone/data/etc is all matched up to where it should be.

So, my plans for calling 911 and yelling "CATCH ME IF YA CAN YA BASTARDS" has been shot in the foot, but other than that it's all good.

Speed is about 3-4x what it was on VM, still trying to get used to the whole windows phone experience, and I'm kinda sad I can't figure out how to move my phone's sms and mms over to the windows phone but I guess I'll live.

So, basically, the lesson to take from this is triple check your account info when you leave VM because they will probably gently caress it up, and also call the porting # for tmobile cause they can get that poo poo straightened out asap.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had the same experience except I got the right number from VM and TMobile wrote it down wrong!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Well I guess at the 2 month mark of not renewing they cancel your account with Aio and you can't reactivate it online.

Anyone use their customer service? Outsourced?

I may switch to gophone when I get back or something. Really don't want to pay a reactivation fee.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 23, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Does anyone know of physical WalMart stores charge sales tax on ST refill cards? I know they do online but have read that in store is tax free (in a state with sales tax).

Just ported my wife to ST and thinking about going balls out and getting a 1 yr ST card for $495. Would work out to $41 month all told.

She doesn't stream Netflix over 4g so no worries about scary data throttling, etc.

Edit: yep they do. Just bought a $45 refill in Utah. Came to $49. Oh well. Will buy next time in in Oregon or Delaware I guess. Yes I'm cheap and yes I travel a lot.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 25, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

Well I guess at the 2 month mark of not renewing they cancel your account with Aio and you can't reactivate it online.

Anyone use their customer service? Outsourced?

I may switch to gophone when I get back or something. Really don't want to pay a reactivation fee.

The only time I used their support was to get APN settings, and that was a chat with someone that said I was awesome and that I made their day. Actual account support may be different.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Anyone do any international calling/texting on TMo prepaid?

I have a friend going to El Salvador for a few weeks, and she wants to be able to contact me. Does it just charge me extra per minute/text (less if I add the $10 international package)? Or do I need to have it set-up special?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Anybody have an idea of how much data WiFi cell phones use? I just got a freedompop hot spot and was wondering if 500mb would be enough to use for an house phone for short calls?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

Anyone do any international calling/texting on TMo prepaid?

I don't know how practical or cost effective this would be for you, but my parents use a service called Rebtell for their international calling to Poland. Basically, you sign up for their service and give them your phone number(s). Then you give the the numbers you want to call. They, in turn, give you a local number for each of your contacts. You call the local number, it does a bunch of voip stuff, your contact's local phone number rings, you pay ≈$0.03/minute. They also give a number for your contacts to call that connects to you; they see it as a local call and you pay the $0.03/minute.

You can use land lines or cell phones (through I think cell hone calls are slightly more money). The family has it set up so any of us call call relatives in Poland off any of our cell phones or my parents' land line. My mom is there on vacation and I called her last week. TMobile saw it as a local call.

Doesn't work for texting, but I would suggest using something like Google Hangouts instead. Free as long as you can connect to the Internet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

hotsauce posted:

No bullshit. You have to pay to tether unless you want to jailbreak and other tomfoolery to bypass the fee.

Well that sucks. Does TMo do a prepaid SIM card that's data only for iPads? I have the nerd plan and ideally I'd like to just get another SIM card for my (future) iPad and pay an additional $10 or so a month but I can't really find information on this on their website.

dentata posted:

Dork plan = best plan*. :colbert:

*except when roaming on AT&T with no mobile data :cripes:

I haven't looked into using CallingMart or any of those other sites yet but for now my workaround regarding sales tax is to refill using the T-Mobile My Account app. No taxes ever! Yet when I do it online thru mytmobile.com or whatever the site is I get charged sales tax. :iiam:

Has anyone tried doing this with the iOS app to get tax-free reloads?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well that sucks. Does TMo do a prepaid SIM card that's data only for iPads? I have the nerd plan and ideally I'd like to just get another SIM card for my (future) iPad and pay an additional $10 or so a month but I can't really find information on this on their website.

Has anyone tried doing this with the iOS app to get tax-free reloads?

I use callingmart and pay $29.70 total for the $30 dork plan. I signed up for auto reload so I get a discount each month and no tax ever.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Moto X is $70 off through February 14th, making it $20 less than the Nexus 5 for either version.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm looking to use the dork plan on my Moto G. The link to the $1 activation kit in the OP is broken but I found it on their site. I'm completely new to smartphones and prepaid plans in general, do I just buy the kit, pop the sim in, activate it on their site (do they give me the option to select the dork plan at this step?), then go? Can I do automatic refilling with this plan, do I have to buy a new kit/sim every month?

e: Looking a few posts up, I can do auto-reload, nice. I'm assuming that means I don't have to keep buying new kits?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

...do I just buy the kit, pop the sim in, activate it on their site (do they give me the option to select the dork plan at this step?), then go? Can I do automatic refilling with this plan, do I have to buy a new kit/sim every month?

Basically yes. Caveat; you'll probably have to spend at least an hour on the phone when their website glitches and you get bounced from one agent to another until you finally get someone who knows what they're doing.

And no, once you have a sim activated you're set, you don't need a new one every month.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

just a quick update from Ting, they lowered their data prices a little bit (actually by $13 if you're within the 1-2gb range)

quote:

Every data graduation beyond the $3 ‘Small’ is cheaper.

We’ve dropped the XXL level across the board so pure per-unit pricing kicks in sooner.

Perhaps most importantly for our heavy data users and business customers, we have dropped the per-unit pricing on megabytes beyond 2,000 from 2.25 cents to just 1.5 cents. That means a gig (or gigabyte or GB) of data is $15 beyond the XL level.

Finally, just to make sure that jump from XL to unit pricing is a win for everyone, we dropped the pricing on minutes beyond 2,000 from 2 cents to 1.9 cents, raised the ceiling on the XL minutes bucket to 2,100 and raised the ceiling on the XL messages bucket to 4,800. Do the math, I promise it works

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Also, if you get the sim kit from Walmart, it comes with a micro sim, but I was able to use the nano sim that came with my moto x with the activation code from the sim kit and it worked fine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Photex posted:

just a quick update from Ting, they lowered their data prices a little bit (actually by $13 if you're within the 1-2gb range)

Have they moved to a different host carrier?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Have they moved to a different host carrier?

it's still sprint.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Photex posted:

it's still sprint.

Aww man. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

AIO just changed up their plans.

Basic Plan is now Unlimited Talk/Text/Data (first 500MB full LTE speed) for $40/mo.

Smart Plan is now Unlimited Talk/Text/Data (first 2.5GB full LTE speed) for $50/mo.

Pro Plan is now Unlimited Talk/Text/Data (first 5GB full LTE speed) for $60/mo.

The biggest change is the Pro Plan which went down from $70 to $60 and lost 2GB. However, if you signed up with the $70/7GB plan, you do get to keep the 7GB.

If you sign up for autopay, you get an extra $5 knocked off (this means it's $35/$45/$55 respectively).

http://www.aiowireless.com/shop/plans.html

• Locked thread