Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

theadder posted:

whats a futanari

its quiggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Ambrose Mendy set a world record for eating three Jacob's cream crackers without drinking in 49.15 seconds on October 29, 2002.[21]

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

theadder posted:

i used to live here

which would make you a rapist then i guess

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

theadder posted:

whats a futanari
it's kinda like a cross between a mattress and a couch cushion

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Ambrose Mendy set a world record for eating three Jacob's cream crackers without drinking in 49.15 seconds on October 29, 2002.[21]

those look loving harmless, whats the big deal

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TINA TURNER posted:

teyhre really big and puffy for crackers i think

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

TINA TURNER posted:

quote:

YOSPOS › Post the most worthless thing you can find on wikipedia

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
http://archer.wikia.com/wiki/Archer_Universe

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

also http://archer.wikia.com/wiki/Mini_Sweater_Dress

because yes, archer is loving awesome. but

The chart below lists all of the known colors of Lana's mini sweater dresses by season and episode.

In addition, an approximate HEX color has been supplied for each of the listed dresses.

is the dumbest chart ever to be posted to a wiki

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

this is why going to wikia is cheating.

still really funny tho

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

There is a reference in the game Runescape to this story, which I think should be added somewhere.

This is the reference: In the new Stronghold of Safety, there is a jail. If a person walks into the jail, then walks into the only open cell, they will see a poster, a cot, and the door to the cell. If one uses the "Examine" choice on the cot, it says "It looks like someone made this chess set with this tiny rock hammer." In addition, if one "Examine"s the poster, it says that it is "A Grubinch Pin-up. Eww."

Chris122990 (talk) 01:35, 12 July 2008 (UTC)

It can't be a reference if Runescape is a game that was made AFTER the book was written. So shut up and go back to slaying virtual goblins you fool.

BillC15 (talk) 12:45, 31 March 2009 (UTC)

Do you realize what you just said? You're implying that the book references RuneScape, which it does not. The game references the book. I believe that you are the fool.

Chris122990 (talk) 04:22, 6 April 2009 (UTC)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FrozenVent posted:

There is a reference in the game Runescape to this story, which I think should be added somewhere.

This is the reference: In the new Stronghold of Safety, there is a jail. If a person walks into the jail, then walks into the only open cell, they will see a poster, a cot, and the door to the cell. If one uses the "Examine" choice on the cot, it says "It looks like someone made this chess set with this tiny rock hammer." In addition, if one "Examine"s the poster, it says that it is "A Grubinch Pin-up. Eww."

Chris122990 (talk) 01:35, 12 July 2008 (UTC)

It can't be a reference if Runescape is a game that was made AFTER the book was written. So shut up and go back to slaying virtual goblins you fool.

BillC15 (talk) 12:45, 31 March 2009 (UTC)

Do you realize what you just said? You're implying that the book references RuneScape, which it does not. The game references the book. I believe that you are the fool.

Chris122990 (talk) 04:22, 6 April 2009 (UTC)

this must be the same guy who posted the bioshock wounded knee video

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

this must be the same guy who posted the bioshock wounded knee video

argh, you reminded me of that and now my chest hurts

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_u18_BKczg

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

...holy poo poo

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

OF loving COURSE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wounded_Knee_Massacre#Image_vandalism.3F_Skyrim_guard_edited_into_image_on_main_page

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

5 until the stupid biofags poo poo at the end, then its 1

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Carthag posted:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Carthag posted:

smae

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
i didnt know what wounded knee was before bioshock infinite so i guess a video game taught me something

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

TINA TURNER posted:

i didnt know what wounded knee was before bioshock infinite so i guess a video game taught me something

i didnt know what poland was until i heard about the screen door submarine so there u go

this is a lie. i first heard about poland when i was a small childe and i went for a drive with my uncle and we stopped at a strip mall for a second so he could pick something up from a shop. and in the strip mall was a polish credit union, and i assumed thats where he went and was confused because he was my mom's brother and therefore it was odd to me that he would be polish but i was a childe so i assumed there was a reasonable explanation

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TINA TURNER posted:

wow

maybe you should get off your computer and amybe read a book or smth

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
like an elementrary school history book, thats waht you should read

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
literally the only thing they teach about america anywhere else is the boston tea party and maybe the civil war if you get lucky so get off your american high horse

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you're not from america, it's fine to not know about wounded knee, because that is america's special shame. but wherever you're from you should at least be aware of your own country's history of horrible colonialism and genocide

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i have an ancestor who was a slave owner and governor of the danish west indies now USVI :c00lbert:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TINA TURNER posted:

literally the only thing they teach about america anywhere else is the boston tea party and maybe the civil war if you get lucky so get off your american high horse
i could have sworn that you were american, my apologies :o:

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk
i think in "in popular culture" is kind of cheating but come on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basenji#In_popular_culture

quote:

According to the webcomic Achewood, if Jesus Christ were a dog, he'd be a basenji.[29]

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TINA TURNER posted:

when we grew up americans were mocked for stupid poo poo like the world series being only america and also being stupid i now realise you guys are super brainy

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

um this is the most worthwhile thing on wikipeida

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
someone should go start an edit war based on the spelling of "hippie" vs "hippy"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

.lnk to the past posted:

um this is the most worthwhile thing on wikipeida

it has multiple issues [citation needed]

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
Elwood City (Arthur)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[hide]This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (September 2013)
This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (October 2013)
Elwood City is a fictional city in the TV show Arthur. The population of the city was revealed in episode 72 as 79,567.
Contents [hide]
1 History
2 General Information
3 See also
4 External links
History[edit]

Elwood City was founded in 1903 by Jacob Katzenellenbogan. He had originally intended the town to be called "Elmwood" but someone misspelled it and the corrupted name stuck. U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt was present at the founding and gave the dedication speech and so were prominent American businessmen Henry Ford and J. P. Morgan, who were partners of Katzenellenbogan. In the episode "On This Spot", it was said that in 1885, Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, starring Buffalo Bill and Sitting Bull came through Elwood City on the banks of Mill Creek while on tour. In an episode called "Elwood City Turns 100!" in the year 2003 the city celebrated its 100th anniversary.
General Information[edit]

Elwood City is a large city that has a soda shop (Sugar Bowl, located on the corner of Maple St. and Elm St.), a shopping mall (Mill Creek Mall), a movie theater (Loring Cinema), 15 schools (including a preschool where D.W. and her friends go and Lakewood Elementary School where Arthur and his friends go), a science museum, a fire department with fire stations, a police department, a hospital, a city hall, doctors offices, a dump, a planetarium, numerous parks, forests, an animal shelter, a newspaper office (The Elwood City Times), a bike shop, an ice cream shop(owned by the Brain's family), a fresh water lake, ponds and streams, a reservoir, a waterpark, a library (Elwood City Library), a bowling alley, many churches, a synagogue, a mosque, a pizza restaurant, a community theater, a soccer field, a car dealership (Crosswire Motors), a community garden, a veterinary office/hospital, a professional baseball stadium and team (Elwood City Grebes), a pet store (Al's Pet Shop), a glass shop, a YMCA, diners, a community pool, a recycling center, fast food restaurants (one being the chicken chain Chick'n Lick'n), industries, factories, and warehouses, a joke shop (Jack's Joke Shop), a doll hospital, a drug store (Jim's Drug Store) beauty salons, barber shops, apartment complexes (the Westboro Apartments where Francine and her family are among the tenants), and many other houses and stores. Arthur and the Read Family live at 562 Main Street.
Much like Springfield from The Simpsons, the exact whereabouts of Arthur’s hometown have never been explicitly stated. Arthur's writers have given conflicting evidence regarding Elwood City's actual whereabouts. While Elwood City bears strong resemblance to the Boston area, home of WGBH—such as Waltham, Massachusetts—there are references to Brown's hometown of Erie, Pennsylvania in some episodes (For instance, Elwood City, like Erie, has a Mill Creek Mall). Various anthropomorphic animals populate the city itself. In some instances animals are shown both in anthropomorphic form as well as realistic animal form. For example, Arthur has a pet dog, Pal, and two friends who are dogs, Binky and Fern.
Other evidence that suggests that Elwood City is located in New England is because it is not a right to work state as suggested by Francine's dad told Binky he had to be in a union to drive a sanitation truck. More evidence of a New England location, much like suburban Boston, Massachusetts, would be the portrayal of the fictional city's professional baseball team, the Elwood City Grebes, as a fictional representation of the real life Boston Red Sox, referencing baseball lore such as The Curse of the Bambino and vaguely, the rivalry between the Red Sox and the New York Yankees, by having the Grebes' World Championship (reference to World Series) opponent being the Crown City Kings, with Crown City, a large metropolis featured in a few episodes, being apparently a representation of New York City, and the Crown City Kings being a representation of the New York Yankees, or New York Mets. In one episode, Arthur's family drives to Washington, D.C., only taking a few hours. In "Arthur's Birthday", Arthur and his classmates indicate that Elwood City is very far from Ohio, where Arthur's relatives live. In another episode, Arthur and the Brain (Alan) visit the Exploratorium; there is a real Exploratorium located in San Francisco, though this does not mean that they did not visit a fictional Exploratorium.
There are, however, various references throughout the series to a Canadian location. One of those references is in "The Good, the Bad, and the Binky", when a five dollar bill given to Binky is blue and a twenty given to him is green (though that might be a simple cartoonist shortcut to show that it is a different kind of bill), characteristics of Canadian paper money. The show is also recorded in Montreal, Quebec, which also contributes to the possibility of Elwood City being in Canada. However, this is refuted by many other factors, such as the Presidents bearing resemblance to Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, and that D.W (in Episode 5, "D.W the Copycat") states that they are in America.
The above suggests that Arthur's Elwood City is in Delaware or Central PA like Harrisburg. Arthur's family drove to Washington, DC while they flew to NYC, leading to the conclusion they are closer to Washington, DC than New York City. Elwood City could be referring to a town in Maryland called Hunt Valley. Also, Baltimore has an impressive Science Museum, and many schools take trips there; hence the Exploratorium. Also Baltimore City is known for trains (which could be used in Crown City's Subway System, that would likely bear resemblance to the New York City Subway).
On the other hand, there is some evidence that Elwood City is located in West Virginia. The strongest candidate for this is in the episode "The Blackout", the DJ Dr Jake, gave the radio call sign as "WELD", which refers to two radio stations in West Virginia.
See also[edit]

Arthur
External links[edit]

Map of Elwood City
PBS Kids GO!: Official Site
1998 Actimates press release
WGBH Arthur Pressroom - News and Pictures, Series Fact Sheet
Official UK CBBC site

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
Presidents[edit]

George W. Bush really is portrayed in Arthur as accurately as Bill Clinton, it's just that those two presidents are so closely related and are so closely tied in American history. Barack Obama is Joseph Gordon-Levitt. CallieMacPherson (talk) 22:36, 15 October 2012 (UTC)
Boston is Elwood City[edit]

Based on WGBH being the show's producer, the Grebes vs. Crown City Kings, Crown City crossing a bridge that clearly supposed to be The Brooklyn Bridge, "The Long Road Home" where George walks from Crown City to Elwood City showing them near a large body of water (the Atlantic Seaboard) "Pick a Car Any Car" where Arthur calls in to Car Talk (highly unlikely it wasn't a local call), and "The Blizzard" where Elwood City is crippled for days, it is strongly likely that Boston or one of its inner-ring suburbs is the model for Elwood City. 74.69.121.132 (talk) 17:19, 29 April 2013 (UTC)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

woo an erie reference

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_spray

lmao @ the second picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

English: A wilderness expert shows how to aim and hold bear spray to effectively deter bear attacks.