Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Perhaps you were confusing Lisa Bonet and Cathy Tyson for one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Craven also had New Nightmare, which was way better than it had a right to be. Easily the second best Nightmare film, and that's only because the original is there.

I revise my previous post: five stone-cold classics.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You've gone too far.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Lisa Bonet cannot be confused with other people because dear lord, that is a pretty lady. Also, weird voodoo sex. I think I was just being an idiot.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

YOU ARE DRUNK WITH POWER SIR.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You've gone too far.

Glamorama26 posted:

YOU ARE DRUNK WITH POWER SIR.

I stand by it. Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, and Scream.

New Nightmare has the weakest claim on "classic" status just by virtue of being the least well-known, but it's an excellent film. Last House on the Left is the weakest as a movie, but it's reached that Cannibal Holocaust place for heavily flawed and extremely unpleasant films that are nonetheless absolutely essential pieces of cinema.

Then there are his films that are not quite classics, but still decent flicks, like Serpent and the Rainbow and The People Under The Stairs (I still haven't seen Red Eye, but I'm told it falls in this tier).

Then there's the crap.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Red Eye is pretty good but I refuse to extend that courtesy to New Nightmare. New Nightmare is a neat idea but then you see the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

New Nightmare is a neat idea but then you see the movie and it's even better than you imagined.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Wes Craven will tear us apart.

Red Eye isn't terrible or anything, but I also like Cillian Murphy a lot.

Craven if nothing else has one of the more ...unique upbringings as far as filmmakers go. I believe he didn't get to watch movies growing up as a child because of his parents' deep religious beliefs.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
New Nightmare is the best realized Freddie. He's loving terrifying, the make-up is perfect, and the final confrontation is wonderful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

Craven if nothing else has one of the more ...unique upbringings as far as filmmakers go. I believe he didn't get to watch movies growing up as a child because of his parents' deep religious beliefs.

Part of my love for him is, despite his many, many crappy movies that I won't even try to defend, if you watch a few interviews with him you'll come away convinced he's the smartest dude to ever helm a horror movie.

Definitely track down The American Nightmare, a really cool doc about early exploitation horror that revolves around interviews with Craven, Cronenberg, Carpenter, Romero and Savini.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't know why this has to be about Craven vs. Wingard as a director, but if you wanna make it about that, Craven's got 4 stone-cold classics to his name and Wingard's got one limp feature film and two cruddy wraparound stories.

Craven knows how to hold the camera still so you can watch and enjoy his movies. Wingard can't seem to do this, it's like he's bored filming things.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, just the *design* of Freddy in New Nightmare is so much scarier. He looks less like a human playacting as a monster, and more like some thing that just crawled out of Hell and decided to borrow a trenchcoat.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Part of my love for him is, despite his many, many crappy movies that I won't even try to defend, if you watch a few interviews with him you'll come away convinced he's the smartest dude to ever helm a horror movie.

Definitely track down The American Nightmare, a really cool doc about early exploitation horror that revolves around interviews with Craven, Cronenberg, Carpenter, Romero and Savini.

Seconding American Nightmare. Believe it's all on youtube, it's really really great and take 80 minutes out of your day to watch it. Savini discussing why he's so good at gore effects is really hosed up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's an older doc that's just about Savini and it's very chill. It's up there with the Jackie Chan documentary about how he plans his stunts.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I thought Red Eye was a pretty good movie until the plane lands.

I like some of Craven's work, although Last House on the Left wasn't nearly as good as I had gotten the impression it was. The silent movie style cops just fit so poorly.

Of course, I also saw Cursed in the theater so gently caress Wes Craven (sometimes)

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Craven also made Music of the Heart starring Meryl Streep and Gloria Estefan which is one of the most bizarre things I can imagine.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Watched The Final last night on Netflix. Basically it's a super low budget film about a group of kids who are nerds/outcasts who invite some popular kids to a party, drug them and mess with them. I tried to watch it with an open mind (13% on RT and a 1 star suggestion on Netflix) but it was still pretty bad.

It had kind of a decent concept behind it, and with maybe better actors and writing it could of been a cool flick. Sadly, the actors all play the most annoying high school stereotypes and the message of "Don't bully the nerds, you never know what they will do" was a bit heavy handed.

Also watched the Purge finally for some reason and well, you know.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

DeathChicken posted:

I agree completely that Lake Mungo was a great big kick in the teeth. That poor girl.

I've tried to watch this movie 3 or 4 times and there is something about it that scares me more than any other movie and I turn it off. I love horror movies but ghost things usually bother me for whatever reason but this movie really drives it home.

Should I just deal with the fear and try to watch it? I mean eventually it will end but then night time comes ... oh goodness.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I wouldn't even say it's particularly scary so much as...trying to find a word. Sad? I got a similar feeling out of Silent Hill 2 (the game, not the movie).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Unsettling is the word you're thinking of maybe.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Red Eye is pretty good but I refuse to extend that courtesy to New Nightmare. New Nightmare is a neat idea but then you see the movie.

This is about right. I always talked up New Nightmare as being legit and then I saw it not so long ago and it's a little painful. Partly because the movie takes itself oddly seriously, particularly the importance of the Nightmare movies. So much of it is people talking in hushed tones about how Wes is "Writing again.". It's treated with the importance of Moses coming down from the Mountain top. I do actually sort of like the redesign of Kruger and while I admire the gnarliest death in the movie, it's just a retread of a great kill from the original film.

So much importance is placed on Heather Langenkamp as well, where I feel the better story (Or one that deserved more time) is how Robert Englund deals with the thing that he played being real, particularly since the implication is that it kills him offscreen at some point.

And I agree with Deathchicken, there's an overwhelming sadness to Lake Mungo that I got from something like Silent Hill 2 as well (Which is something of a masterpiece in itself). I could make a whole thread talking about SH2 actually. I feel like we're on the cusp of entering a more interesting time in games thanks to a lot of indie titles, but SH2 was way ahead of the curve. And some of that poo poo is pretty dark.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I haven't seen very many Wes Craven movies but if you don't count The People Under the Stairs as one of his best, well, poo poo, I need to see more Wes Craven movies.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I'd like New Nightmare a lot more if the child actor wasn't so terrible.

It's weird, I'm old enough to remember when that was actually the norm, and then Sixth Sense came along and everyone was all "this kid actor is great!" (and yes, he is). Since then, the bar of quality for child actors has risen, in my opinion at least- maybe it's just something I never paid attention to before that, I dunno.

All I do know is that the kid in New Nightmare takes me out of the movie every time.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Meowbot posted:

I've tried to watch this movie 3 or 4 times and there is something about it that scares me more than any other movie and I turn it off. I love horror movies but ghost things usually bother me for whatever reason but this movie really drives it home.

I don't find most ghost-based horror scary because ghosts are such an absurd idea but there is one shot near the end of Lake Mungo that stuck with me for quite a while and would probably have an even greater effect on someone who's already disturbed by that sort of thing.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, just the *design* of Freddy in New Nightmare is so much scarier. He looks less like a human playacting as a monster, and more like some thing that just crawled out of Hell and decided to borrow a trenchcoat.

I don't know. I always thought the scariest Freddy ever was is that scene in the original Nightmare where he's in the alley for the first time.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

I don't know. I always thought the scariest Freddy ever was is that scene in the original Nightmare where he's in the alley for the first time.

You mean where his shadow has hideously distorted arms that look 20 feet long each? Yeah. :allears:

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm almost hesitant to post this in this thread, but I like all of the "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies. They're not really horror (aside from the first and NN) and I won't even pretend that they're good movies, but they are wonderful campy 80's fantasy that can be appreciated by anyone with a dark sense of humor. Like, how can you watch the third & fourth movies and be bored? Is that even possible? They're so entertaining and slapsticky.

If the remake would've embraced the campy Freddy and the "dream warrior" stuff, it might've been a thousand times better instead of sucking rear end. Like if it'd been directed by Sam Raimi. Now that would've been cool.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 20, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

That's an awesome and well shot scene, but I mean the actual design, make-up, and prosthetic work in New Nightmare is just the best.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Glamorama26 posted:

Totally agree. You're Next isn't amazing or anything, but I've always found Scream flat as all hell and it's really not doing anything that a bunch of horror nerds sitting in a room haven't been doing for years before it in regards to all its' in jokes and what not. I get why Scream is a big deal (and can even accept it's a good film), but it always seemed very bland to me. There's no bite at all.

You hear that Stu? I think she wants a motive. Well I don't really believe in motives Sid. I mean, did Norman Bates have a motive? Did they ever really figure out why Hannibal Lecter like to eat people? Don't think so! See it's a lot scarier when there's no motive Sid. We did your mom a favor Sid. That woman was a slutbag whore who flashed her poo poo all over town like she was Sharon Stone or something...

Is that motive enough for you? Well how about this.. your.. slut mother was loving my father... and she's the reason my mom moved out an abandoned me. Maternal abandonment causes serious deviant behavior. Certainly hosed you up and made you have sex with a psychopath.

That's all from memory so I'm sorry if it's wrong. The part I put in italics and bolded is, for some reason, the most effective and coldest scene in the entire movie, even moreso than the opening simply because of how loving real it feels. I honestly feel like he was a loving psychopath during that scene.

Also Stu is one of the best characters in the movie. I would definitely hang out with him save for a few things he did that I don't like.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Ha, I never even noticed that. "I don't need a motive! Okay, here's my motive."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Devil's Due was surprisingly enjoyable. It's camera gimmick made the found footage aspect almost tolerable. There were some fairly impressive effects shots, both leads were likable and I really only had one or two issues with the plot.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
All this talk of Wes Craven made me look up his filmography. That jerk created Don't Look Down, AKA the movie that traumatized me one night as a kid. That rear end is the reason I have trouble with heights to this day.

Also, Netflix doesn't have The American Nightmare or New Nightmare.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

AGirlWonder posted:

All this talk of Wes Craven made me look up his filmography. That jerk created Don't Look Down, AKA the movie that traumatized me one night as a kid. That rear end is the reason I have trouble with heights to this day.

Also, Netflix doesn't have The American Nightmare or New Nightmare.

American Nightmare is on youtube in 4 parts I believe. Just to make sure you're no one is mixed up, it's a doc on the 60/70's horror movement that is probably my favorite personally. While I'm not a fan, as Boogeyman said earlier, Craven always comes off a very intelligent fella.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

The Senator Giroux posted:

I thought Red Eye was a pretty good movie until the plane lands.

I like to compare Red Eye to Collateral in that both are really good when the plot is a scary, tense, no-escape situation, but then falls apart in the third act and becomes a generic cat-and-mouse thriller when the protagonist gets out of the situation that was the hook in the first place, and then continues for another 20 minutes or so.

DeathChicken posted:

I wouldn't even say it's particularly scary so much as...trying to find a word. Sad? I got a similar feeling out of Silent Hill 2 (the game, not the movie).

If there's a word for "steadily growing pervasive sense of sorrow and dread", that's the word. Bleak, maybe.

Sauna and The Orphanage are both a lot like that too.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
The ending of Scream where Matthew Lillard keeps getting stabbed always gets to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

foodfight posted:

The ending of Scream where Matthew Lillard keeps getting stabbed always gets to me.

I physically can't watch that scene, I get light-headed. I think its the sound the knife makes along with Lillard's performance as he realizes he's dying and Billy doesn't give two shits

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I physically can't watch that scene, I get light-headed. I think its the sound the knife makes along with Lillard's performance as he realizes he's dying and Billy doesn't give two shits

"I'm feelin' woozy here!"

Neither Ulrich nor Lillard are particularly great actors in general, but they loving nail that '90s Leopold and Loeb vibe in the final act of Scream. And yeah, Lillard going all pale from blood loss is such a great tangible moment of horror violence.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Wes Craven's entire body of a work is a neat idea until you see the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

For some reason on CineD there's whole contingents of people who insist that Wes Craven was "only a good idea-man" and/or that George Romero put the political subtext of the Living Dead movies by accident. This is the only place I have seen either of these two ideas and both strike me as completely insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

For some reason on CineD there's whole contingents of people who insist that Wes Craven was "only a good idea-man" and/or that George Romero put the political subtext of the Living Dead movies by accident. This is the only place I have seen either of these two ideas and both strike me as completely insane.

I think its just what happens when guy has as inconsistent a career as Craven's has been, people want to explain why the bad stuff ended up bad. If anything, its kind of a compliment. They're saying that even in Craven's bad movies, there are solid ideas that are a good foundation for a scary horror film.

Also, more mainstream horror fans seem to know about the classics Craven's made, and hold him up as an icon because of them, but often aren't even aware of or have forgotten his misfires(every iconic director benefits somewhat from this though).