Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

INH5 posted:

Personally, I think Leia is even worse. Her adoptive parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, childhood friends, teachers, former roommates, pizza delivery man, etc. etc. etc. all get blown to smithereens and how does she react? She's sad about it for one scene, then a day later she's comforting some guy she's known for about an hour over the death of some hobo she's never met. I mean, sure her entire civilization is now a thinly scattered debris cloud but clearly Luke is the one who is really hurting here.

That's cuz Leia is tough as hell. No time to waste tears on the dead, there's an Empire to defeat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The homestead scene is an homage to The Searchers (1956). John Wayne's character, Ethan Edwards, comes back to his brother's family's home and discovers that his brother, sister-in-law (with whom he was in love), and nephew were killed and his nieces captured by Comanche Indians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30N-weocZT4
Soon after, he finds out that the elder niece was raped and murdered, so he teams up with his brother's adopted son Martin (who is himself part Comanche) and spends seven years searching for the younger niece.

It makes sense for Ethan Edwards to keep a lid on his emotions because he's a badass Civil War veteran played by the Duke. The audience knows Ethan's going to waste little time mourning and pour all his grief into action - because that's what badass characters do - and that's exactly what he does. Put Luke in that situation and you'd expect him to act a lot more like Martin (whose immediate reaction to the deaths is to flip his poo poo), because he is a callow youth. I guess I would put the flaws in Luke's characterization down to a clumsy homage.

We need to make a list of movies that influenced Star Wars. One you might not know about is the 1938 Soviet film Alexander Nevsky, whose portrayal of the Battle of the Ice inspired the Battle of Hoth.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
His whole story arc revolves around searching for the father he never knew. That's why he cares more for Ben than his aunt and uncle. He lost another connection to his father.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Luke not showing much emotion on finding his aunt and uncle dead was a decision made by Lucas. Mark Hamill thought Luke should fall to his knees in agony at the sight, but Lucas wanted a neutral performance so the audience would project their feelings on to Luke. I actually think the scene works really well - Yeah, Luke looks numb, but that's the shock of the situation. And it's not like he has much time to wallow, either - he's on the run now. That's all hitting him at once, and so a stare of disbelief seems about right.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Script is done, they are into "deep prep", Abrams isn't currently interested in shooting in Imax because the cameras are too big a pain in the rear end.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/j-j--a...-212350048.html

I know it's idiotic given that the first post-Lucas SW hasn't even started shooting yet, but I got a bit giddy at this:

quote:

Not to add to the rumors, but Abrams is working on “Believe” with “Gravity” director Alfonso Cuaron. We asked if Abrams plans to direct the next “Star Wars” trilogy entirely on his own, or if he might bring in another director — Cuaron, for example.

He dodged the question as ably as the Millenium Falcon might swerve out of an asteroid’s path.

“I’m just focusing on ‘Episode VII’ right now,” he said.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
Please, please do not tease me with the idea of Cuaron directing a Star Wars movie.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

I see that when he says that he's never coming back to the planet but that's about it. The characters in that movie feel very simple and insubstantial to me.

in the context of the story they're as deep as they need to be.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Please, please do not tease me with the idea of Cuaron directing a Star Wars movie.

While I think this is a long shot, I really like the idea of the non Saga starwars movies being a little more out there and not sticking with Classic Starwars Cinematography.

You could do some fun things.

Noir in the depths of Coruscant jumps immediately to mind.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Disney has been more than willing to give big properties to what, at the time, seems like an unusual but smart choice.

They gave Joss Whedon the FIRST Avengers movie! If it tanked, the franchise would have been hosed. Now obviously it worked, but at the time, even I was surprised. Not cause it was a bad choice, but it just seemed a little too...smart? It made too much sense - and I think Disney knew that.

They also gave Shane Black Iron Man 3, which although a lot of people (read: plebs) did not like it was really good and made bank.

Disney seems to be courting a lot of this type of talent and I think it's great. Disney wouldn't even have to court them for Star Wars, can you imagine how many amazing directors there are today who have always had an idea for a Star Wars movie but knew it would never happen?

As long as they pick the right people, and they've been doing pretty well so far, Disney would be mad to not let amazing directors play in the Star Wars universe and print money

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I wouldn't be surprised if Whedon gets a crack at one once his Marvel commitment has run its course.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Park Chan-wook doing a Star Wars movie ohgod

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cuaron did wonderful stuff with Harry Potter, so him doing Star Wars isn't a long shot at all.

Would love to see Lucasfilm give a directing gig to Edgar Wright and James Gunn too.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Cuaron did wonderful stuff with Harry Potter, so him doing Star Wars isn't a long shot at all.

Would love to see Lucasfilm give a directing gig to Edgar Wright and James Gunn too.

Edgar Wright it already doing Ant Man with Marvel so I'm assuming he's one of the first on Disney's list of 'friendlies' to tap for Star Wars stuff.

edit: Also I am so giddy that Disney has the balls to start chainsawing up the EU.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Griff Lee posted:

edit: Also I am so giddy that Disney has the balls to start chainsawing up the EU.

Is it really a surprise though? I think everyone knew going in that "in the event that George decides to make good on the trilogy of trilogies thing, all this stuff is screwed"

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track

jivjov posted:

Is it really a surprise though? I think everyone knew going in that "in the event that George decides to make good on the trilogy of trilogies thing, all this stuff is screwed"

Something can be expected and still really nice to see happen.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Given that DC Films is still dumping stupidly huge amounts of money into, well, crap - it's nice to see a big studio that is making smart decisions in the face of an ever changing industry.

Seriously has there ever been an actually legitimately good DC Comics movie? I'm struggling

edit: I googled it and the answer is no. And before you say Dark Knight trilogy I said LEGITIMATELY good movies. Dark Knight is a fun popcorn film but suffers from massive problems that are literally entirely caused by laziness and it's frustrating and have no sympathy for it

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 20, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Griff Lee posted:

Given that DC Films is still dumping stupidly huge amounts of money into, well, crap - it's nice to see a big studio that is making smart decisions in the face of an ever changing industry.

Seriously has there ever been an actually legitimately good DC Comics movie? I'm struggling

edit: I googled it and the answer is no. And before you say Dark Knight trilogy I said LEGITIMATELY good movies.

Man of Steel is legitimately good.

(and so is :nolan: )

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

computer parts posted:

Man of Steel is legitimately good.

whhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? :crossarms:

edit: Armond White said that Man of Steel is the first superhero film to be tackled by a (and I quote) "Real filmmaker" since Tim Burton did Batman. el oh el

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Griff Lee posted:

edit: I googled it and the answer is no. And before you say Dark Knight trilogy I said LEGITIMATELY good movies. Dark Knight is a fun popcorn film but suffers from massive problems that are literally entirely caused by laziness and it's frustrating and have no sympathy for it

Batman & Robin.

Also Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (that was theatrical, right?).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Griff Lee posted:

whhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? :crossarms:

edit: Armond White said that Man of Steel is the first superhero film to be tackled by a (and I quote) "Real filmmaker" since Tim Burton did Batman. el oh el

Your posting is currently worse than Armond White. Step up or :frogout: .

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
I like the Burton Batman movies. Especially Returns.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Lord Krangdar posted:

Also Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (that was theatrical, right?).

For the sake of argument I wasn't counting Mask of the Phantasm since it was an animated picture.

I love me some Mask of the Phantasm though.

I like the Burton Batman movies. Especially Returns.

I have never been a fan of Tim Burton so I might be a bit harsh towards them - that said, I won't budge on the others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9wi0cPrU4U

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 20, 2014

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Superman 1978, Superman II, all three Nolan Batmen, Burton's Batmen, and History of Violence are all widely considered "good". Sorry if you have weirdo taste.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

porfiria posted:

Superman 1978, Superman II, all three Nolan Batmen, Burton's Batmen, and History of Violence are all widely considered "good". Sorry if you have weirdo taste.

I know Paradox was a DC imprint but calling A History of Violence a "DC Comics movie" strikes me as misleading and/or disingenuous.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

DNS posted:

I know Paradox was a DC imprint but calling A History of Violence a "DC Comics movie" strikes me as misleading and/or disingenuous.

I don't even know what any of that means, so probably you're right I guess?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

DNS posted:

It's like calling Howard the Duck a "Marvel movie"

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Yea, saying DC films have a reputation as crap is a little wild. Superman: The Movie and Superman Returns are like the two definitive works in the 'super hero' genre.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Danger posted:

Superman: The Movie and Superman Returns are like the two definitive works in the 'super hero' genre.

Man that would explain a lot

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Griff Lee posted:

Disney has been more than willing to give big properties to what, at the time, seems like an unusual but smart choice.

They gave Joss Whedon the FIRST Avengers movie! If it tanked, the franchise would have been hosed. Now obviously it worked, but at the time, even I was surprised. Not cause it was a bad choice, but it just seemed a little too...smart? It made too much sense - and I think Disney knew that.

They also gave Shane Black Iron Man 3, which although a lot of people (read: plebs) did not like it was really good and made bank.

Jon Favreau is in the Marvel/Disney stable and all but begged for the job when it was announced. I bet he gets one eventually.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Danger posted:

Yea, saying DC films have a reputation as crap is a little wild. Superman: The Movie and Superman Returns are like the two definitive works in the 'super hero' genre.

This is the first time I've seen someone on CD speak of Superman Returns without criticism, let alone say it's among the upper echelon of superhero films.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Justin Godscock posted:

This is the first time I've seen someone on CD speak of Superman Returns without criticism, let alone say it's among the upper echelon of superhero films.

Plenty of people have said it recently, but it's usually to establish how much they hated Man of Steel.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Justin Godscock posted:

You also haven't heard criticism that isn't hella dumb. Superman Returns is top tier.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Superman Returns was a marvelous film chock full of more metaphors than you could shake a stick at. It just wasn't a good Superman film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That's not a good Superman post.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

computer parts posted:

Plenty of people have said it recently, but it's usually to establish how much they hated Man of Steel.

While Returns is certainly one of the best of the past 25 years, Man of Steel was in the short term one of the best films of the year. criticism that falls back on what is or is not a 'Superman' film is inherently uninteresting.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

V For Vendetta is a DC imprint. So is A History of Violence. Both are excellent movies for very different reasons, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Ed: VVV Only in reverse order.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 20, 2014

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Returns and Man of Steel work best as a double feature.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Batman TM, Superman, Batman, Begins/TDK/TDKR, are all legitimately good films, whether you enjoy them on a personal level or not. TDKR is the only "arguable" one of those, really, and I can write and have written an essay on why it's the best one (and also the most misunderstood, which explains the variance in that one).

Man of Steel and Watchmen are both good in various ways but have mixed responses.

Road to Perdition and History of Violence are awesome.

Constantine is pretty good on its own merits, even if moving it to America changes it from its source completely. Stardust is pretty good. V for Vendetta, like Man of Steel and Watchmen, gets a mixed response.

To bridge this back to Lucas/Star Wars, Howard the Duck is more interesting than almost every Marvel movie. Interesting failures > by the book mediocrity.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

It's like calling Howard the Duck a "Marvel movie"

A History of Violence does not take place in the DC Comics universe, but Howard is a character in Marvel's main comic book continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Latino Review posted something amusing. Apparently someone did not like Bobba Fett's origin in the prequels, so the Bobba Fett movie is rumored to be about a guy who kills Bobba Fett at the beginning of the movie and then takes his costume and name.

• Locked thread