Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

A few new pictures.

Better picture than my last one of the blue Andalusian, Striker Eureka. No super-bright sunlight on this one, so her color shows better.

The Baroness (for that is her name now) is almost fully grown now, I think. Still not sure who the mother is.

Size comparison between Tet and The Baroness. They're about the same size now. But of course The Baroness is far more fabulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Did you paint that hen's toe nails? She's spectacular and extremely cute! :3:

Striker is lovely, but that one dark feather, out of place on her wing, bothers me. Tell her to get it together! :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Awwww, The Baroness reminds me of Rita, one of my favorite hens of the past--half Jersey Giant, half Cochin (ignore Poof photobombing her). :)

Also...
The first two minutes of this are hilarious...'How To Make A Raised Bed Gard--' NAW, IT'S THE PEACHICK SHOW! Guy gets totally Kanye'd by his peachick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww7qhm4cUtw

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Tet is fabulous looking and those wattles are spectacular. Any chance of a video of Tet getting the "wattle wave" treatment?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

The Rat posted:

The Baroness (for that is her name now) is almost fully grown now, I think. Still not sure who the mother is.
That's a perpetual disapproving from the B.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Just sharing some recent photos. The super cold dry weather has played havoc with tail feathers here in the PNW, please excuse the ruffling.

Up first my Black Langshan Cockerel has really started to bloom at around 9 months. I love this bird's body and hope I can impart that into my Whites over the next couple years.

One of my Black Pullets, again I love the depth of body that this line has, you can't see it in the side profile but their tail spread is phenomenal as well, nice wide birds, something that is a constant fight to keep in this breed.

White Langshan Pullet, 6 months old to the day. She has a near perfect head, I like the back line ok, but want to see how that tail finishes in the next couple months. She'll be my top White breeder if it finishes nicely.

Blue Langshan Pullet, 8 months old, she just laid her first leg. Not the best picture, she didn't feel like posing. I love her color still as far as shade of blue goes, but as she has matured she's added a lot of excess fluff which I'm not a big fan of and doesn't have the nice tail width that I was hoping for. Still young and can develop further, but thankfully both my males can cover her shortcomings.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Also...
The first two minutes of this are hilarious...'How To Make A Raised Bed Gard--' NAW, IT'S THE PEACHICK SHOW! Guy gets totally Kanye'd by his peachick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww7qhm4cUtw

LOL. Those peachicks are adorable! Especially the male trying to show off his little stub-tail. Hilarious!

I love peafowl. If I lived out the country, I would have them (even if they are noisy). They're just so beautiful! And they look just as entertaining as chickens.

From the video -- a very young male peacock, trying to impress a girl:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Inveigle posted:

LOL. Those peachicks are adorable! Especially the male trying to show off his little stub-tail. Hilarious!

I love peafowl. If I lived out the country, I would have them (even if they are noisy). They're just so beautiful! And they look just as entertaining as chickens.

From the video -- a very young male peacock, trying to impress a girl:

Just move to my neighborhood, we got a small flock of peacocks roaming free in the streets. they don't belong to anybody, but have been here for years now :3.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Inveigle posted:

Did you paint that hen's toe nails? She's spectacular and extremely cute! :3:

Striker is lovely, but that one dark feather, out of place on her wing, bothers me. Tell her to get it together! :)

No painted toenails. She's all natural. Out of the three chicks that we had hatch in late August, she's the only one who has survived up till now. drat fox attack got the other two. Most of the flock is from craigslist, rescued from hipsters who got into keeping chickens because they thought it was trendy. Thundercracker was gotten from a large flock outside of town.

GabrielAisling posted:

Tet is fabulous looking and those wattles are spectacular. Any chance of a video of Tet getting the "wattle wave" treatment?

If I can catch him at some point, I will make this happen. :q:

Also those Langshans have some serious presence. I like the look of them!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Hixalot posted:

Just sharing some recent photos. The super cold dry weather has played havoc with tail feathers here in the PNW, please excuse the ruffling.

Up first my Black Langshan Cockerel has really started to bloom at around 9 months. I love this bird's body and hope I can impart that into my Whites over the next couple years.

One of my Black Pullets, again I love the depth of body that this line has, you can't see it in the side profile but their tail spread is phenomenal as well, nice wide birds, something that is a constant fight to keep in this breed.

White Langshan Pullet, 6 months old to the day. She has a near perfect head, I like the back line ok, but want to see how that tail finishes in the next couple months. She'll be my top White breeder if it finishes nicely.

Blue Langshan Pullet, 8 months old, she just laid her first leg. Not the best picture, she didn't feel like posing. I love her color still as far as shade of blue goes, but as she has matured she's added a lot of excess fluff which I'm not a big fan of and doesn't have the nice tail width that I was hoping for. Still young and can develop further, but thankfully both my males can cover her shortcomings.

I'm sorry, these birds just don't look happy and have told me that, in fact, they want to come and live with ME. Also, it's been months and Tim STILL hasn't mailed me Vito. :colbert:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Hixalot posted:

HIXALOT -they are GORGEOUS! Wow, so do you breed just Langshan? I'm wondering as a future backyard chicken person, do they lay eggs regularly and do they go broody often? Your birds are much better looking than the ones I have seen in the catalogs I received. Do you sell pullets? What is the average height and length - beak to tail of your hens?

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

piscesbobbie posted:

HIXALOT -they are GORGEOUS! Wow, so do you breed just Langshan? I'm wondering as a future backyard chicken person, do they lay eggs regularly and do they go broody often? Your birds are much better looking than the ones I have seen in the catalogs I received. Do you sell pullets? What is the average height and length - beak to tail of your hens?

I breed Langshans in all three colors, Buff Leghorns and Spangled Old English Game Bantams. Thanks for the compliment, Langshans are truly my favorite breed and I love working with them, I've created my line from combining three of the top lines in the country.

Langshans are decent layers. I try to produce birds that lay 180+ eggs a year. They're dual purpose so the cockerels make excellent roasters around 22-24 weeks. They will go broody if you let them. Mine have always gone broody in late summer. They're good mothers if you let them hatch usually. (I use incubators and brooders rather than hens). I sell extra pullets if I have them as juveniles, but usually sell pairs or straight run chicks only. Females are about 22-24" tall. Haven't measured beak to tail. The males come up to my knee (and I'm 6'3") so 28-30" or so.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I'm sorry, these birds just don't look happy and have told me that, in fact, they want to come and live with ME. Also, it's been months and Tim STILL hasn't mailed me Vito. :colbert:

LOL. I'll add you to the waiting list. The pullets are just coming into lay so should be hatching before too long I hope.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

hixalot, if you happen to get a langshan pullet with a bratty attitude, send her to me, my henhoes will teach her the ways of the backyard ghetto :ese:.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Couple of Cockerels

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Tim Jong-un posted:

Couple of Cockerels

OH MY GOSH Tim, are these bantam or standard? Do you need to brush them before photographing them or do they just look fabulous all the time!

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

piscesbobbie posted:

OH MY GOSH Tim, are these bantam or standard? Do you need to brush them before photographing them or do they just look fabulous all the time!

They're bantams, I only brush birds that are going to show and still have a lot of quills in their feathers. Id just closed them up for the evening and decided to get some pictures while they got ready to roost. Dont actually brush,just use a flea comb to remove quills so as not to damage feathers.

Tim Jong-un fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 18, 2014

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tim Jong-un posted:

They're bantams, I only brush birds that are going to show and still have a lot of quills in their feathers. Id just closed them up for the evening and decided to get some pictures while they got ready to roost. Dont actually brush,just use a flea comb to remove quills so as not to damage feathers.
I am going to steal that first chicken. :allears: So handsome.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

AtomikKrab posted:

That first chicken needs to be wattle waved. (I am so gonna make this phrasing happen.)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

Get in line. :mad:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

GabrielAisling posted:

That first chicken needs to be wattle waved. (I am so gonna make this phrasing happen.)

I LOVE that phrase. Wattle Waved!

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Some lemon blue pullets,cockerels and a lemon splash pullet that happened to be in the run with them.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Prize winning! Tim, what age is the oldest bird you have entered in competition?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Tim Jong-un posted:

Some lemon blue pullets,cockerels and a lemon splash pullet that happened to be in the run with them.

I can only assume that these chickens do not walk as we understand the term, and instead roll around like feathery Katamaris, gathering more and more chickens to add to their bulk as they go.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I can only assume that these chickens do not walk as we understand the term, and instead roll around like feathery Katamaris, gathering more and more chickens to add to their bulk as they go.

Funny you should mention that...

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
More taiwanese punk rock chickens to admire:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=715467001810237

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

More random pictures. I still cannot get over how ugly Tet can be when viewed from certain angles.

Dumpling got up on a bench, so I tried to angle the pictures so the sun would be behind him like some kind of shining chicken jesus.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

piscesbobbie posted:

Prize winning! Tim, what age is the oldest bird you have entered in competition?

That would be Vito at around 7 years old,I usually stop at 5 and just let them stay home. I still carry Vito because friends kids like carrying him around and he seems to enjoy it.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

The Rat posted:

More random pictures. I still cannot get over how ugly Tet can be when viewed from certain angles.

Dumpling got up on a bench, so I tried to angle the pictures so the sun would be behind him like some kind of shining chicken jesus.

Gorgeous photos! The photo of Dumpling is very striking, is that the word... Thank you for sharing. Is Tet a silky mix?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
A video on Jacksonville Florida's new laws on keeping hens within city limits!

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=4890409&navCatId=20896

ActionNews47 Jacksonville: Weatherman Tim from News4 is not allowed on our property.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 22, 2014

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

A video on Jacksonville Florida's new laws on keeping hens within city limits!

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=4890409&navCatId=20896

ActionNews47 Jacksonville: Weatherman Tim from News4 is not allowed on our property.

Lindsay Gardner seems surprisingly comfortable around the chickens as she's feeding them. Many reports seem to freak out around chickens for some reason.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

luloo123 posted:

Lindsay Gardner seems surprisingly comfortable around the chickens as she's feeding them. Many reports seem to freak out around chickens for some reason.

I've met her! I think she has a parrot.

The lady getting her permit is also part-owner of a really cool garden center here in Jacksonville, Trad's. It was also quite a bit more involved then just writing to her councilperson, she formed a group and had to hire a lobbyist. I gave :10bux: for it, as I love chickens and want to keep them someday, but probably not in Jacksonville.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I was messing around wiht my new phione when Sunshine, our white Australorp, jump onto the window box. I had to use the slo motion function to see how it worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oNYSkbhNO4

Its pretty funny seeing her silly floppy beret comb and giant wattles bouncing around gently.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 22, 2014

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've met her! I think she has a parrot.

The lady getting her permit is also part-owner of a really cool garden center here in Jacksonville, Trad's. It was also quite a bit more involved then just writing to her councilperson, she formed a group and had to hire a lobbyist. I gave :10bux: for it, as I love chickens and want to keep them someday, but probably not in Jacksonville.

She seems like the type of reporter that is actually a genuinely awesome person.

It seems like a fight well fought. I hope that they decide to allow chickens past the 2 year trial period.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I was looking through ebay for egg auctions.....get a load of these pictures!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exclusive-P...=item3a8a5fe4a4

AHAHAHA

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I was messing around wiht my new phione when Sunshine, our white Australorp, jump onto the window box. I had to use the slo motion function to see how it worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oNYSkbhNO4

Its pretty funny seeing her silly floppy beret comb and giant wattles bouncing around gently.

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU for sharing that! I LOVE that floppy comb and her wattles, that was so cool! Thank you!

Here is a funny video I came across. http://youtu.be/OrpTeoGaMr4

VS, those are some different looking chickens!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 23, 2014

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

AHAHAHA

:gonk: I never thought I'd see a Polish I'd dislike, but welp.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Well, I giggled like an idiot, especially at the chick pics. :keke:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

AHAHAHA

They're like miniature ostriches with a tiny mop on their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Well, I giggled like an idiot, especially at the chick pics. :keke:

Some goofy rear end looking chickens there.