Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Yes indeed, they even flagged it as damaged but accident free! I particularly like the listed interior features and the emissions ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If that is accident free I would ask them why they set it on fire intentionally :stare:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I followed this into the parking lot.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I posted this in the terrible car stuff thread originally but I think it belongs here now that I think about it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Colonel Sanders posted:

It seems like thats been driven that way for a while....

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, unless it's the lighting or something it looks like that tire has actually worn down a bit on the part making contact with the road :stare:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colonel Sanders posted:

Um.. It's a new trend that's going to be sweeping the nation. "Hella Not Flush"

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 19, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Angel camber

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Measly Twerp posted:

Yes indeed, they even flagged it as damaged but accident free! I particularly like the listed interior features and the emissions ratings.
"Colour: Green None"

tater_salad posted:

Hellaclearance.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

tater_salad posted:

I think that's just "lifted".

On the subject of burned out hulks of cars for sale. Copart sells all sorts mostly broken cars.
http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e1s2&lotId=27301323&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

Edit sorry, just found this...
"Primary Damage: ALL OVER" :stare:
http://www.copart.com/c2/individualLot.html?lotId=31733083&searchType=onSaleNow

Aurune fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 19, 2014

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
Look through the semi rigs and boats on Copart. Mega carnage.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Aurune posted:

I think that's just "lifted".

On the subject of burned out hulks of cars for sale. Copart sells all sorts mostly broken cars.
http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e1s2&lotId=27301323&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

Is ringing a thing in the US? Buying a wrecked car to transfer the clean identity to the a stolen one?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

stump posted:

Is ringing a thing in the US? Buying a wrecked car to transfer the clean identity to the a stolen one?

Yeah, but any modification of the VIN usually results in the car being crushed.

In the case of that honda, they'll probably pull the wheels, tail lights and air bags, then sell the rest for scrap.

When i want to make myself hurt, i browse salvage auctions.

http://www.impactauto.ca/runList?ac...onType=high-end

:negative:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah a lot of cars on copart are insurance totals and will be picked up by people or junkyards needing a certain parts donor.

Most of the really bad ones don't have a clean VIN/title I am sure.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

When i want to make myself hurt, i browse salvage auctions.

http://www.impactauto.ca/runList?ac...onType=high-end

:negative:

I love that damage estimate - $80026.18 - down to the penny. I'm kinda surprised 80 large in damage totaled a Alpina, though. Even in Loonies.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ausgezeichnet posted:

I love that damage estimate - $80026.18 - down to the penny.
Any time you estimate anything, slap a little bit on or off the end. $80k is a guess. $80,026.18 is clearly an expert assessment which can be relied on, and is no doubt backed up by itemised lists which simply aren't available right this minute.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

stump posted:

Yes, but keep in mind that a car with a salvage title has to be inspected before it's allowed back on the road, with receipts and such to show that everything wrong with the car was repaired with legal parts. I don't know about other states, but in MA the inspections are done with the state police, and they'll make the whole process a bitch and a half if they feel like it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I took this on an interstate off-ramp. The driver did not pull over, he just waited for the light to change and drove off.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I was at the hippie grocery store today and a Protege pulled in with the entire air dam dragging and hanging on for dear life with one giant clip. Was waiting to see if they'd run over it and pull the whole bumper cover off but didn't want to stay out in the cold long enough to see it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Root Bear posted:

Meanwhile in America... I took an Infiniti QX56 on a short test drive to listen for noises and shaking after "hitting a pot-hole"

Still thanking the heavens above that I made it in one piece :psyduck:

Kid brought in his little hot rod the other day he put together himself, couldn't figure out what a knocking noise was around 45 mph. So I test drove it, heard an alarming knock, brought it back immediately and this happened in front of the garage door.

Ball joint popped out of the control arm because it wasn't bolted down properly or have a pin in it.

While im at it, got some other ones from around the shop.
"F350 in for an alignment, it fits dont worry."

The guy from Memento brought his car in.

So we just put a new crate engine into an xterra, the guy comes back after driving it for 40 miles.
"It just stopped working while on the highway and now the engine sounds like there are marbles in it when I try to start it"
After figuring out that turning the crank didnt move the cams, we pulled the engine, then the crank pully...

New guy didnt hook up the exhaust vent properly when sea foaming the Dodge 2500 thats behind the van in this picture.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 19, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I think this sign may have been white before.

But it's definitely yello now. :smugdog:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

So we just put a new crate engine into an xterra, the guy comes back after driving it for 40 miles.
"It just stopped working while on the highway and now the engine sounds like there are marbles in it when I try to start it"
After figuring out that turning the crank didnt move the cams, we pulled the engine, then the crank pully...

Oh man, was that a new pulley?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh man, was that a new pulley?

Yep, everything was new besides the accessories, wiring, lines etc.. The stupid part was, they are refusing to warranty it until we take it all apart again and prove its their components that failed by themselves.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

I think this sign may have been white before.

But it's definitely yello now. :smugdog:

I got it

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I've had problems before with my tires not having the proper pressure, once due to them being improperly seated on the rims, and a couple of times just due to the cold compressing the air. There was a recent cold snap, and on driving back to college, I got a low pressure warning. I planned to just pull off the highway as soon as possible to get air, but ended up pulling over on the shoulder because I felt like something was wrong.

whoops

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good instincts. How old were those tires?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Good instincts. How old were those tires?
They were two years old, but they've only been on the car for 15 months. I'd say it's been driven at most 10-15 thousand miles with those tires. The rims were fine, which is good.

When I carried the tire into the shop, there was a guy waiting around who had driven over a nail. He thought I was an employee and it was his tire, and he was horrified and confused at how bad it was. I thought he was an employee and simply being surprised at the damage, and it made for a confusing conversation.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 20, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Any time you estimate anything, slap a little bit on or off the end. $80k is a guess. $80,026.18 is clearly an expert assessment which can be relied on, and is no doubt backed up by itemised lists which simply aren't available right this minute.

Actually that's most likely a real estimate. The car isn't an obvious total so you'd have to write the estimate to find out.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Preoptopus posted:

"F350 in for an alignment, it fits dont worry."

What's going on here?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A heavy-duty truck being jacked up off a drive-on lift, by a jack that is woefully insufficient to the task.

At Sears my coworkers had to do alignments on duallies on a semi-regular basis like that. Only difference was our jacks were a bit beefier, and slid all the way to the end of the lift so we could use the axle, instead of the leaf spring mount point like they're doing. Ours also had supports that folded out and up, so you're not extending it to max height just to reach the vehicle.

Still sketchy as hell, I can't imagine doing it with that setup.

Double edit: gently caress managers who pull that poo poo. 'Oh yes sir, we'll do tires on your handicap van that barely clears the ground/mobile dog wash van that barely fits into the shop! Our techs will be happy to do it for minimum wage in the standard 60 minutes or less!'

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 20, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

A heavy-duty truck being jacked up off a drive-on lift, by a jack that is woefully insufficient to the task.

At Sears my coworkers had to do alignments on duallies on a semi-regular basis like that. Only difference was our jacks were a bit beefier, and slid all the way to the end of the lift so we could use the axle, instead of the leaf spring mount point like they're doing. Ours also had supports that folded out and up, so you're not extending it to max height just to reach the vehicle.

Still sketchy as hell, I can't imagine doing it with that setup.

Double edit: gently caress managers who pull that poo poo. 'Oh yes sir, we'll do tires on your handicap van that barely clears the ground/mobile dog wash van that barely fits into the shop! Our techs will be happy to do it for minimum wage in the standard 60 minutes or less!'

That isn't how your supposed to lift the solid end anyways, you are supposed to put them under the axle, that isn't even being lifted properly.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Elysiume posted:

They were two years old, but they've only been on the car for 15 months. I'd say it's been driven at most 10-15 thousand miles with those tires. The rims were fine, which is good.

When I carried the tire into the shop, there was a guy waiting around who had driven over a nail. He thought I was an employee and it was his tire, and he was horrified and confused at how bad it was. I thought he was an employee and simply being surprised at the damage, and it made for a confusing conversation.

Two years old by how long ago you bought them, or two years old by the stamp on what's left of the sidewall?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

That isn't how your supposed to lift the solid end anyways, you are supposed to put them under the axle, that isn't even being lifted properly.

Oh absolutely. I mean, the spring mount probably isn't going to have trouble supporting 1/4 the truck's weight (that's what it's designed to do, after all) but it's still sketchy as hell. All I can think is that lift must have stops in it to prevent the jack going all the way to the end.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Das Volk posted:

I posted this in the terrible car stuff thread originally but I think it belongs here now that I think about it.

Too cheap/poor/time-strapped to spring for a Strutmasters conversion?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aurune posted:

Ha, the guy renting my house works for Copart. Weird.

http://www.copart.com/c2/individualLot.html?lotId=29704383

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It really needs to be posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFdBtQt-_U

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't you hate it when something gets stuck in your teeth?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Friend of mine: "I think I found the knocking noise in the Nova's old engine!!"

Apparently the rod broke far enough down that it didn't window the block, but everything's junk regardless. Fortunately he already assumed the shortblock was crap and bought an LS1 and a T56 to throw in it, which is why this motor is coming out.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

InitialDave posted:

Don't you hate it when something gets stuck in your teeth?

There is no :gonk: big enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There is no :gonk: big enough.

Seems like there was a toothpick big enough, though.