Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm sure this one has an obvious answer that I can't think of at the moment, but has there ever been a title match that had to be changed on the fly due to a botch? E.g. Has a champion won a match he was booked to lose over a botch?

Men on a Mission won the tag titles when Mable couldn't get off the other guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

britishbornandbread posted:

I am probably in the minority but I disagree. The Mankind character of 96/97 never really interested me. But I was 9/10 years old so maybe that ties in to that. The whole crazed mutilator gimmick never enthralled me and I don't really recall any amazing matches unless I am missing something in the sea of poo poo that was 1996 WWF.

The Shawn match at that IYR was ok I seem to recall.

Sorry if this is awfully contrarian - I suppose I've never 'got' Mick Foley.

EDIT: thinking about it I think the million and one Taker matches may have bored me a bit. Even into 1997 they were still trotting that match out before Foley's face turn. I think Mick mentions in his first book how he and Taker were concerned going into KOTR98 because saturation

I feel the same way, but it's probably because I was a huge Cactus Jack fan. I saw Mankind and was like, "Why are they doing this to a guy I like?"

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
This is a match I did not know existed:

Vader & Mike Awesome vs. Samoa Joe & Dan Maff from JAPW

Has anyone seen it, and is it worth tracking down?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I wonder if that was brought up in court. I would have loved to have been in the audience and seen the judge's response to "Your honor, he called me bald on television" I imagine it would be something along the lines of "Look in the mirror. See? It's not slander if it's true"

It wouldn't matter in the slightest that it's true. "Your Honour, this man called me bald on television when he was bound by contract not to do so."

Hoganwinslol.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Memento posted:

It wouldn't matter in the slightest that it's true. "Your Honour, this man called me bald on television when he was bound by contract not to do so."

Hoganwinslol.

I wasn't aware it was written into his contract. I just thought it was one of those "unwritten rules" of wrestling that you're not allowed to point out that the Hulkster has a skullet.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's really just a rumour, I don't think it's ever been confirmed, but as seen on this page there are reports from people who were told, as heels, not to mention Hogan's baldness. Couple that with the rampant egomania that Hogan has, it's not too much of a stretch to think that he might have insisted that contractually, no one was allowed to mention that he's bald in promos.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The WWE sent out a release a couple of years ago to various video game reviewers telling them that when the reviewed the game, they could not show HHH in a vulnerable position.

So yeah, I think they could have a contract saying you can't call a guy bald.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Would Hogan really make public that his contract specifically forbid calling him bald if it did, though?

That he'd go so far as to have it put in makes him look much worse, in his own eyes, i'd guess. I can't imagine Hogan suing if it meant "Oh, I needed to stop them pointing out my baldness." came out in court.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm sure this one has an obvious answer that I can't think of at the moment, but has there ever been a title match that had to be changed on the fly due to a botch? E.g. Has a champion won a match he was booked to lose over a botch?

NJPW and AJPW had an interpromotional match with IWGP Champion Tenzan vs Triple Crown champion Kojima that was supposed to end in a time limit draw like that kind of match always does, but Tenzan was legitimately knocked out and lost his title. They flipped the title back a couple months later.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davros1 posted:

The WWE sent out a release a couple of years ago to various video game reviewers telling them that when the reviewed the game, they could not show HHH in a vulnerable position.

So yeah, I think they could have a contract saying you can't call a guy bald.
So wait, what if you're doing a video review and you like playing as HHH, and the AI happens to get some offense in on you?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

you don't use that footage? most professional video reviews are not done live.

from what I've gathered at big sites like Gamespot there are actually people whose jobs are to get footage for video reviews. often times the footage you see isn't the reviewer's playthrough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

you don't use that footage? most professional video reviews are not done live.

from what I've gathered at big sites like Gamespot there are actually people whose jobs are to get footage for video reviews. often times the footage you see isn't the reviewer's playthrough.
Admittedly I was mostly thinking of Giant Bomb's quick looks, though iunno if those'd actually count as 'reviews.'

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah they aren't reviews, I'm not sure if that rule would still qualify for preview material, not that they'd have to listen to it anyway.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Is that where the "never vulnerable" thing people say on here comes from? All this time I thought it was just part of Triple H's Reign of Doom booking, but holy poo poo. This must mean there is actual physical evidence of this somewhere. Google search just turns up reviewers mentioning the memo, or quoting a guy who knows a guy.

I get NDA's but why didn't every site's actual review just show 10 minutes of footage of Triple H taking the Bronco Buster from everyone on the roster?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I feel like I remember some magazine or site using nothing but shots of Triple H eating finishers, but it might have been for a later game.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

maniacripper posted:

Is that where the "never vulnerable" thing people say on here comes from? All this time I thought it was just part of Triple H's Reign of Doom booking, but holy poo poo. This must mean there is actual physical evidence of this somewhere. Google search just turns up reviewers mentioning the memo, or quoting a guy who knows a guy.

I get NDA's but why didn't every site's actual review just show 10 minutes of footage of Triple H taking the Bronco Buster from everyone on the roster?

Probably because they would like to have the opportunity to make money for reviewing future versions of WWE games, too.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

that's not how it works. WWE or the publisher can't say "you are not allowed to review our games." they may not send them free review copies but that's it, they can't stop them from covering it. and I highly doubt WWE pays off gaming publications, considering their review scores.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Money probably changes hands between the publisher and IGN every year.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

This is a match I did not know existed:

Vader & Mike Awesome vs. Samoa Joe & Dan Maff from JAPW

Has anyone seen it, and is it worth tracking down?

I was at that show. Haven't seen the match since then but I don't remember it being anything special, though it wasn't unwatchable or anything. Vader and Awesome were clearly just there for the purpose of having some "big names."

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

that's not how it works. WWE or the publisher can't say "you are not allowed to review our games." they may not send them free review copies but that's it, they can't stop them from covering it. and I highly doubt WWE pays off gaming publications, considering their review scores.

yeah but unless you get the game prior to release so you can put out a review on or before street date then you may as well not review it at all for the amount of revenue you'll get out of your work and expenses

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Amy Renee posted:

I'm watching my Hell in a Cell compilation DVD, and I got to UT/Stone Cold vs. Kane/Mankind, and Foley is cutting this oddly poetic promo before the match. I didn't get into wrestling until late 1999, so I missed the whole demented & tragic/corporate Mankind eras, and only knew him as the goofball with Mr. Socko. Were all of Mankind's promos poetic, or did Mankind just do whatever made him look unhinged?

Is that the one where Mankind mentions in passing that he's married, then immediately follows it up by snapping at the audience for collectively thinking, "Wait, a woman actually married that hideous freak of nature?" Because that was a great promo and I was thinking that.

The "prone position" thing was from some magazine, I think in the UK, who were given a preview copy of one of the Smackdown games with a memo not to show any screens of blood, the use of weapons or Triple H being shown in a prone or helpless position. They thought it was the stupidest thing, so their preview of the game had images of a bloody Shelton Benjamin hitting a prone Triple H with a sledgehammer and so on as well as a scan of the memo. This was around 2009 or so.

The Hogan/bald talk always makes me think of one of the most surreal promos where Kurt Angle had just lost a Hair vs. Hair Match with Edge and wore a wig to hide his shaved head. Kurt cut a promo whining about it when Hogan showed up to ask him what was so wrong about being bald. Then he talked up how Austin was another awesome bald guy, so you had Hogan both discussing his baldness AND verbally putting over Austin. Then I think this led to a match where Hogan cleanly tapped to Angle. Crazy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gavok posted:

The Hogan/bald talk always makes me think of one of the most surreal promos where Kurt Angle had just lost a Hair vs. Hair Match with Edge and wore a wig to hide his shaved head. Kurt cut a promo whining about it when Hogan showed up to ask him what was so wrong about being bald. Then he talked up how Austin was another awesome bald guy, so you had Hogan both discussing his baldness AND verbally putting over Austin. Then I think this led to a match where Hogan cleanly tapped to Angle. Crazy.

Wasn't that during his 2002+ run? I think that all happened because Hogan didn't have creative control written into his contract during that time, because Vince had actually learned from Hogan's first WWF run and then his WCW run.

But then I believe Vince gave him creative control again for his 2005 run, so…

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So I picked up the 'Best of Raw Seasons 1 & 2' compilation for $5 a few weeks ago during Wal-Mart's sale. There's some really good stuff on there (I forgot how much I liked that Doink/Marty 2/3 falls match), but I just got to the USS Intrepid thing, where they invite various athletes to try and bodyslam Yokozuna.

You have to tune out Vince screaming "Yokozuna has humiliated America! No wait - that helicopter! Who could it be?!" to be able to watch it, but:

Q1 - Was the thing with the NBA/NFL guys shoot or worked? It really looks like one of the guys almost gets Yoko off of his feet.
Q2 - Was this the last time the WWF/E went full-on "carny"? That is, was that the last time they invited non-workers to try and challenge a worker, hoping the worker could protect the business?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ghostpilot posted:

The hardcore battle royal at Wrestlemania 2000

Bobcore was clearly supposed to get a 2 count and then have the timer run out, but they cocked up the timing and he won the belt

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ycbc_15-minute-hardcore-title-battle-roy_sport

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
What was the storyline for Ricky Steamboat returning to the WWE in 2009 to wrestle Jericho?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jericho was running around going "All these old people suck and shouldn't be here stealing valuable time." Which led to a match with Jericho against Piper, Snuka, Steamboat and probably some others I'm forgetting. Then Steamboat shocked everyone by still being *really* good in spite of being old and it kept going.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Jericho was running around going "All these old people suck and shouldn't be here stealing valuable time." Which led to a match with Jericho against Piper, Snuka, Steamboat and probably some others I'm forgetting. Then Steamboat shocked everyone by still being *really* good in spite of being old and it kept going.

Nah, it was just those three, and the handicap match basically had three stages: Piper comes in, is fine until he decides to do actual moves and does one of the most terrifying dropkicks I can recall, Snuka comes in and can barely move, so Jericho is essentially bumping around him, and Steamboat comes in and they actually have something resembling a wrestling match. So they booked a rematch at the next PPV and had Jericho and Steamer do a singles match.

The whole thing was kind of hastily put together because they clearly wanted to do Jericho vs Mickey Rourke in some capacity, but Rourke's people talked him out of it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gavok posted:

I went to a smackdown taping around this time where Triple H kicked out of the leg drop then pinned Hogan clean as a sheet with the pedigree. What a weird time to be Hulk Hogan

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know of any wrestling footage that would be legally usable in a short video package that might air on a lovely local station? I could probably slip some illegal clips in there and no one would notice, but I'd rather play it safe.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Paulocaust posted:

Anyone know of any wrestling footage that would be legally usable in a short video package that might air on a lovely local station? I could probably slip some illegal clips in there and no one would notice, but I'd rather play it safe.

Doesn't the legality depend on the context of usage? Jeffersonlives might be able to help you.

George Michael used to show WCW/WWF highlights every week when he did the news in Washington, DC, and ESPN shows WWE stuff when something/someone mainstream is involved.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Paulocaust posted:

Not sure what your timeline is, but you could probably email some little indy who would be thrilled to have their footage on TV.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

triplexpac posted:

Not sure what your timeline is, but you could probably email some little indy who would be thrilled to have their footage on TV.

Hell, dig up the 'Goon Who Became A Worker' thread. I'm sure Nick Lovin' would adore one of his matches getting airtime, and he's put them on youtube.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Don't know if you'd consider this a botch, but going back to the '60s, Bill Watts was brought into Southwest to put over Texas champion "Sailor" Art Thomas. According to Watts's version of events, Thomas completely blanked on how the match was supposed to begin or flow. Watts was pretty green at that point, was depending on Thomas to run the match and couldn't improvise well, so he'd take Thomas down, work his limited amount of stuff for a couple minutes to give Thomas time to get into the match, then ease off to let Thomas take over... only to have to repeat the routine ad nauseam when Thomas didn't take over. Eventually, they made the call to mercy-kill the match and put Watts over for the belt.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paulocaust posted:

Gabe used to post free-use video packages of DGUSA/EVOLVE clips on youtube, let me see if I can dig some up.

EDIT: Here ya go -

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dgusa%20creative%20commons%20reel&sm=3

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

This is small-time, but there was a notorious incident involving Davey Richards.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

that was a work that turned into a shoot

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gaz-L posted:

The whole thing was kind of hastily put together because they clearly wanted to do Jericho vs Mickey Rourke in some capacity, but Rourke's people talked him out of it.

It always baffled me that they were promoting The Wrestler at the time, considering it both exposes the business as worked and exposes the business as being lovely and carny. Especially since to my knowledge WWE had no hand in the production of it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

sticklefifer posted:

It always baffled me that they were promoting The Wrestler at the time, considering it both exposes the business as worked and exposes the business as being lovely and carny. Especially since to my knowledge WWE had no hand in the production of it.
WWE actually took several shots at the film, in the typical Vince fashion one might expect. Then once the critical acclaim and Oscar buzz kicked in, they pulled a hard 180 and tried to mooch some mainstream attention off it.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 20, 2014

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

sticklefifer posted:

I kinda love how butthurt a lot of wrestlers got about that movie, since for the most part it's accurate and the business does bleed most of the people in it completely dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I remember there was a wrestler roundtable video around the time the movie came out where a lot of legends were talking about it. I remember being sad when Piper (I think?) said he cried because they captured his life but not nearly as sad as it was the first time I saw Lex Luger after his stroke.