Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

The Dark One posted:

Please don't say spackle so often, it triggers flashback to those horrible "you have ten to fifteen pounds of waste in your colon ads." :suicide:

I don't know. Without lovely buzzwords it might become even more obvious that I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Sakarja posted:

Sure, they have contracts for six seasons, but that can change quite easily, as the example of Chevy and Donald Glover illustrates.

What gave you the idea that these were "easy?" And you think SAG will let them negotiate contracts for all the regulars without the precedent of significantly increased income? This isn't just about them - it becomes a union thing.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
I have to concede the first point, since there's no way for us to know what kind of deals were made when Chevy Chase and Donald Glover left the show. And since it must've taken quite a lot to bring Donald Glover in for five more episodes when he wanted to leave, it seems reasonable to assume that it wasn't "easy" at all.

As for the second point, I wasn't saying that Sony/NBC would want to renegotiate all their contracts, but rather that several members of the cast might want to move on (or that Dan Harmon's and Chris McKenna's new deals only covered season five), and that they'd have some leverage if they wanted to get paid more to stay on the show for another season. And while I don't have any real clue how these things actually work (which you might think would keep me from running my mouth about it in the first place) I just assumed that when an actor signs a contract for six seasons, getting paid more for the sixth season than the first is part of the deal.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Ok, I'll run down the basics, since it is kinda more complex than it looks at first blush.

The typical deal these days in Hollywood is to sign your talent to six-year contracts. This gets them locked in for a long time, with reason: If your show is successful, and gets to six years and eventually beyond, it would have to be popular and thus be making a lot of money.

So the Screen Actors Guild makes sure that all their members get these contracts and fight to make sure that when it comes time to negotiate, the actors are asking to get significantly more money as the risk part of the contract is now firmly on the actor's side.

Lots of shows re-negotiate at 5 or 4 years with their cast once they know the show is solid. They can usually re-negotiate at lower rates because there's still more monetary risk on the production side at that point.

The thing is, the reason the actors can make much more money *and* the show continues to be produced is that the show is making so much money for the studio that the raises don't matter. And that's the problem: Community isn't making Sony any kind of real money. At best they can probably break even now that syndication is running, but it's no Seinfeld or Family Guy or BBT in terms of syndication ratings. NBC signed such a poo poo deal that they don't even get any syndication money. They essentially get the show free from Sony at this point and promise to find a spot for it.

That little bit of a silver lining that NBC sees is that a show they essentially pay next to nothing for is probably doing better than any other show they have in a time slot that they put it in. So for right now, for NBC, it kind of...works. As long as the ratings stay above 1.0 they're more likely in for a season 6 and hell, beyond, if they keep getting it for free and have nothing that can reasonably fill the space.

The problem, then, becomes that the costs become too prohibitive for Sony. The show would cost more money because SAG will not allow its members to low-ball after a 6-year deal, it sets a bad precedent for future deals. Suddenly costs rise significantly and if it's just not taking off in syndication AND the network isn't going to pay more for it? Cut your losses and embrace the cult dvd/netflix/hulu market.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thanks for putting more work into this than I did. I took it at face value. Didn't mean to mislead anybody.

RockShowLevel27
May 31, 2006
Would more funds not be opened up by Chevy and Donald leaving, maybe softening the blow for Sony? I'm sure Chevy was making the most, being that he was the largest name attached to it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently the next episode is being directed by one of the Russo brothers (Joe), who left the show after Season 3 and haven't worked on an episode since foosball.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

RockShowLevel27 posted:

Would more funds not be opened up by Chevy and Donald leaving, maybe softening the blow for Sony? I'm sure Chevy was making the most, being that he was the largest name attached to it.

Chevy is and has been a nobody for like 20 years.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RockShowLevel27 posted:

I think they're spending that money on guest stars.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think they're spending that money on guest stars.

This season, yes, they're clearly spending every spare dime on guest stars. That wouldn't necessarily have to be the case in future seasons.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

That's very informative, thanks!

Would it be correct to say that if NBC decides to renew Parks & Rec for another season, it'll probably have very little to do with the economics involved?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Sakarja posted:

That's very informative, thanks!

Would it be correct to say that if NBC decides to renew Parks & Rec for another season, it'll probably have very little to do with the economics involved?

I think you've already seen that economics has become an issue, see the departure of Rashida Jones and Rob Lowe.

Keep in mind that you're dealing with a different set of circumstances and situations at P&R because it's solely an NBC production, which changes a lot of the stakes.

Also, keep in mind that my explanations are only reasonable insofar as Sony continues to only care about making money. If they went all FX and decided that maximizing creativity is better than maximizing ROI then there might be a change, but then again if the Moon collided with the Earth there might be a change.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 21, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Do you get kickbacks from Big Buzzkill?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
No coming back as lava monsters? Awww.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
LAVA WORLD

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Wow, you figured he would've learned by now.

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
Welcome back John :swoon:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is either going to be really good, or really bad. But John Oliver is a good sign.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Did you all hit your heads on each others' heads?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't recognize Annie for a second.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Centipedung! :laugh:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
LOCKER BOYS!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
What a delicious...combination!

TROY!! :allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What are you getting from this level of commitment?!

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

You have gods?!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Floorstriders!

You have gods?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hickey!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Maxwell Lord posted:

Didn't recognize Annie for a second.

Me too, I was like "hey theres another cute girl..." oh wait Annie :swoon:

Speaking of :swoon: MIKE!!!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Holy crap, he's gone full Road Warrior.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Mad Mike!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Jeff is way more into this kind of thing that usual.

Fake edit: :stare:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I like the professor.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This is amazing.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
NATHAN FILLIOOOOOOOOOOON!!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

...I lived in New York. :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm just in it for the money. My son's getting gay married. The flowers alone...

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

That was a killer pound.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I like that they are scaling back the stupidity of Britta.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Britta's complete refusal to engage with the game was a nice twist from how this usually goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I got way more out of Ken Jeong dressed up like Rufio than I thought I would.

• Locked thread