Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I think any type of r/c'er who is the type to beg for sponsorship is probably also an rear end in a top hat...but yeah, I can totally see that being the case with drifters. One of the reasons I stayed away from it for so long is that the guys around here that do it are arrogant guys that run around with neon lights on their honda civics. When I posted in a local forum about what I should get, I was warned by one of them to stay away from the HPI sprint because it was "total loving garbage". My sprint is just fine!

Neon lighted Honda civics? :rice:

Doesn't surprise me; with some groups if you don't have the greatest or what they think is the greatest chassis your not taking it seriously. honestly for the price, the sprint is possibly the best car for anyone trying rc drifting, You already did the best possible upgrades for the chassis. Next stage is counter steering which people have done to their sprints as well. However I don't really recommend cs right away, just enjoy sliding sideways. And please post progress of your drift track. :3:

Somewhat Heroic: Nice, I still have a 510 bodyshell all painted up for my m05, love that thing.

eeeee its here its here! just waiting on the C33 laurel shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I have a Team Associated TC4 and RC10b4 that have been sitting around for years and I'd like to get them going again. Back when I bought them, I pretty much didn't know what I was doing and was lovely about repairs and maintenance. I would like to do it right this time around. For example, I had more money than sense and bought a Novak GTB 5.5 brushless motor for the TC4 that I'm pretty sure was way overkill. Anyhow I've got kind of a lot of newbish I'm hoping you guys can answer for me.

1) The RC10B4 has a Reedy 17 turn brushed motor in it and whatever ESC came with the kit. I'm okay using a 2S lipo battery with this setup right? As long as I watch motor temp and don't run the battery down too far I should be okay? Also, do lipos need to be the hard case style or are you guys cool using just any 2S lipo? I was about to order a couple 4000 mah 2s 25C from hobbyking.

2) Associated have some program going on right now where you can exchange old parts for new parts at a discounted price. I'm thinking this might be a good chance to upgrade the RC10 to a brushless setup. I'm just a little confused and overwhelmed with all the ESC and motor choices. Can someone possibly help me pick something off this page? I'd like to keep it relatively inexpensive.

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/shared/update_exchange_program.pdf

I was thinking of going with the SC 450 BL ESC and one of the Reedy 540 SL motors but I'm not sure which one I should go for? How much power is enough? Can I run this motor with that ESC. The manual for the ESC doesn't really say. Or should I just stick with the motor I've got?

3) What is the consensus on the cheap radio setups like the Flysky and Turnigy 3XS. I was about to order this one :

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...rehouse%5F.html

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
I'll try as best i can please anyone chime in with suggestions as well.

1, If you ESC can handle 2s lipo go for it, if it has lipo cut off even better, if not you really need to monitor that it does not go below 3.2 volts each cell, if it goes beyond this; it can damage the battery. I use hard case lipos for my fast off road stuff, less chance of damage to the battery if the car crashes or rolls. As for the 4000 mah 2s 25c If you plan to go brush-less in the future it would be better if you go a higher C rating but i could be wrong on this.

2,No idea regarding associated stuff, as for power or motor speed, is this for racing a track or stock racing? if you are doing stock racing they normally do 17.5t brush less motors, if you want something a little faster maybe 10.5t.

If its for bashing and you are enjoying it running the brushed motor why bother replacing until needed?

3,really enjoy my flysky gt3b, lots of features for the price, lots of mod options if you want to hack and mod it and you can get receivers for 8 or 9 bucks each if you look around on ebay.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Thanks for the answers.

Is a safe lipo cutoff really 3.2 volts per cell? I was stopping at 3.8. I think I heard that number from the airplane guys but maybe it's overkill.

Also, yeah it's basically for bashing right now. I think I might get into racing later but you're right for now I'm going to stick with what I've got. After getting it going, I found the stock motor to be plenty fast. I think I will upgrade to like a 5700kv brushless setup if I come across one for a good price if only to avoid motor maintenance and whatnot.

Glad you like your Flysky. I just ordered a Turnigy 3XS which is a little newer, hopefully it works out okay.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
HPI Micro RS4 gymkhana!
http://youtu.be/JwH1FSkEUwI

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

visuvius posted:

Thanks for the answers.

Is a safe lipo cutoff really 3.2 volts per cell? I was stopping at 3.8. I think I heard that number from the airplane guys but maybe it's overkill.

Also, yeah it's basically for bashing right now. I think I might get into racing later but you're right for now I'm going to stick with what I've got. After getting it going, I found the stock motor to be plenty fast. I think I will upgrade to like a 5700kv brushless setup if I come across one for a good price if only to avoid motor maintenance and whatnot.

Glad you like your Flysky. I just ordered a Turnigy 3XS which is a little newer, hopefully it works out okay.

honestly i set my cutoff to 3.4, better safe than sorry, as long as it does not go below 3.2 volts per cell you are good but at 3.2 volts make sure you recharge as soon as possible.

Awesome.

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 28, 2013

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
I have my tansmitter telemetry warning go off at 3.3V/Cell for my planes, and have had batteries forever that still work great. That and store them as close to 3.85V/Cell as possible. Most modern chargers will have a "Storage Charge" function to get them to that voltage.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

visuvius posted:

I have a Team Associated TC4 and RC10b4 that have been sitting around for years and I'd like to get them going again. Back when I bought them, I pretty much didn't know what I was doing and was lovely about repairs and maintenance. I would like to do it right this time around. For example, I had more money than sense and bought a Novak GTB 5.5 brushless motor for the TC4 that I'm pretty sure was way overkill. Anyhow I've got kind of a lot of newbish I'm hoping you guys can answer for me.

1) The RC10B4 has a Reedy 17 turn brushed motor in it and whatever ESC came with the kit. I'm okay using a 2S lipo battery with this setup right? As long as I watch motor temp and don't run the battery down too far I should be okay? Also, do lipos need to be the hard case style or are you guys cool using just any 2S lipo? I was about to order a couple 4000 mah 2s 25C from hobbyking.

2) Associated have some program going on right now where you can exchange old parts for new parts at a discounted price. I'm thinking this might be a good chance to upgrade the RC10 to a brushless setup. I'm just a little confused and overwhelmed with all the ESC and motor choices. Can someone possibly help me pick something off this page? I'd like to keep it relatively inexpensive.

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/shared/update_exchange_program.pdf

I was thinking of going with the SC 450 BL ESC and one of the Reedy 540 SL motors but I'm not sure which one I should go for? How much power is enough? Can I run this motor with that ESC. The manual for the ESC doesn't really say. Or should I just stick with the motor I've got?

3) What is the consensus on the cheap radio setups like the Flysky and Turnigy 3XS. I was about to order this one :

The AssociatedReedy speed controls are about the most infuriating thing to use ever. Only run one if you are going to use it for forward only/race. The forward to brake/reverse transition is the worst thing I have ever seen. I have a brushless rtr rc10b4, and sc10b, and I had to remove both of the speed controllers, and swap in some VXL Traxxas ones I had laying around. It's the only thing that is making it hard to pull the trigger on a new rc8.2e rtr.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Yeah to be honest Traxxas VXL ESC's are awesome, and the VXL motors are not bad either

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

visuvius posted:

You should be fine. Old speedies don't have a voltage cut off, however it takes a while to drain down a LIPO compared to NIMH or NiCAD batteries

quote:

Not sure what most off roaders run. 21.5 and 25.5 are good motors to run

quote:

Best to email AE about that, I don't know anything about that speedie or motor

quote:

They are supposed to be pretty good. My friends run this one: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23165__Turnigy_GTX3_AFHDS_2_4ghz_3_Channel_Radio_System.html and the only issue they had was the receiver dying on one of their cars. However the receivers are dirt cheap

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Well I took the B4 out to the local track and promptly broke something. The front right arm snapped at the pin near the bulkhead I think it's called. I picked up a replacement set of RPM arms that are supposed to be beefier.

I realized I really suck at taking big jumps. I pretty much landed none of them and I think a lot of it had to do with my steering. It was all over the place and I couldn't figure out a combination of dual rated or expo that would settle it down. Had a hell of a time though for the 10 minutes I was running.

I kind of went nuts on purchases. I placed a hobby king order for a couple 4000 and 5000 mah lipos and some tools. I also picked up some new touring tires for the TC4 and 3 body shells. I got the HPI E30 BMW, a 911 and this sucker:

Toyota MR2 SW20. I had this exact car until three months ago until I totaled it. I paid $50 for this drat body but it's worth it to me. I'll be honest, I'm really stoked about the bodies. The E30 is just sweet and the 911 I bought mostly cause it was cheap but the Mr2 is loving awesome. Only problem is the instructions are in Japanese. I mean it's mostly straightforward but I'd like to know what it's saying as there are some confusing parts. I know it's totally lame but I want to install led lights and I think I'm going to try wiring a servo and making the lights pop up but I have no idea how to do this. This guy did it but it doesn't look that great since it's not flush.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V9pDU_c_tfM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DV9pDU_c_tfM

visuvius fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 29, 2013

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Got some new tires on my Honcho. Been rainy lately so i'm getting ready for some MUD!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dunno if this has been posted in here before, saw it in the youtube thread a while back. This guy hand makes bodies for his offroader out of wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Dvap18PLc

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Fucknag posted:

Dunno if this has been posted in here before, saw it in the youtube thread a while back. This guy hand makes bodies for his offroader out of wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Dvap18PLc

That's amazing workmanship, but I cringed so hard when he actually took it crawling.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Sloppy posted:

That's amazing workmanship, but I cringed so hard when he actually took it crawling.

his work is nothing short of amazing, watched a few of his videos for awhile now, when he dings or scratches the bodies, he does touch ups, not to cover up the damage, but to add rust or make the damage more scale.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Went and lost my mind and bought this. Tamiya TT01E. Guess I'll play with it until I get bored and the upgrade bug bites. I'm a bit confused as to what size/type bodies I can use, and the relation of motor size and ESCs, and a bunch of other stuff, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Planning on getting into drifting it because that seems more entertaining than having a rocketship, so I'm sure I'll end up fiddling nonstop.

EDIT: Hope this has the JIS drivers I'll need.

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 20, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Method Loser posted:

I'm a bit confused as to what size/type bodies I can use, and the relation of motor size and ESCs, and a bunch of other stuff, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

That's fit any 1/10th touring, drift or rally body/wheel/tire, and for motors you'll want a 540-size motor. 1/10th is pretty easy because it's the most popular size of car, so nearly any electronics will fit it.

I've been painting several RC bodies lately in an effort to make some extra money and get better with my airbrush, figured I can show the recent ones here:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Very nice looking stuff Krush. If you we didn't live so far away I'd love to have you do a body for me.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
That Golf is rad as hell

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
that's just all kinds of awesome painting right there.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
ooh, i race RCs too, hello RC-thread

i Race various classes, mostly indoors due to norway being norway.
but here is the out door track me and some friends painted up last summer close to my home. bombing my xray t3 around here is therapy

i also built a trail truck that gets way to little runtime these days, but its good fun

said xray with its "show off" body, painted by a friend
the wing is a 10$alu POS from rcmart which main contribution is making sparks when i flip, and being bent out of shape

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kuffs posted:

That Golf is rad as hell

Yep, reminds me of the '80s / early '90s Toyota livery.

Does anyone make an old-school Toyota truck body that would fit a short course truck?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does anyone make an old-school Toyota truck body that would fit a short course truck?

None that would fit the current incarnation. Tamiya uses to sell a pre-runner Toyota based off of the TA0x chassis of the past I believe. Pro-Line is typically pretty open to suggestions on new ideas of stuff to make. The recent popularity of 'vintage' could spark enough interest on making a scale old truck body. They made a VW Baja bug body for the Baja 5T after I emailed them the suggestion. The owner sent me one gratis after they started production. :3: they made a 'warthog' halo style body at our suggestion as well (back when working at HRP).

Edit: it's the final countdown until the Nuremberg toy fair! I cannot wait, I'm geeking out so much right now.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks guys :) I'm getting a bit better with every body I think, my main issue is impatience and trying to speed things up. It's really surprising when I get a referral from a customer, I've only been doing RC stuff with an airbrush for a few months. I want to do a few more scaler trucks but drift stuff might be a bit difficult without a vinyl plotter.

If anyone is in the UK and wants something done I'll do a goon discount, just go to https://www.polepositionrc.com and drop me an email from there with your SA user name.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

None that would fit the current incarnation. Tamiya uses to sell a pre-runner Toyota based off of the TA0x chassis of the past I believe.
Yep, my first "real" RC!

How about this, maybe?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Toyota-Scale-Truck-bodyset-/201020726341?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecdc4dc45

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

old-school? I don't think so but i so would buy one!

Kushgroove: I might have to take you up on yer offer, I don't live in the UK but I do have a UK mailing address (Berkshire) were do you get your shells? thinking of another drift body for the yokomo dib.

fjelltorsk: is that just a abandoned stretch of road for your track?

So uh, I managed to get a thing.....I really did't expect to get it for the price I did, ebay ninja-ed it at the last minute. :ninja:

needs some love, chains rusted but works, tires are in great condition.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Congrats on snagging that sled Howser. Those things are tanks so if the tires are in good condition the rest will be cake to maintain.

I've been slipping further down the r/c wormhole in a good way, Big Squid recently brought me on a paid contributor as they've been happy/done good numbers with my scale column. I'm going to be writing an addition column a week, helping with reviews, editing their video, and doing a build series for Axial. It's been a good amount of work but I've been having a blast. It's been great fun being able to go out and beat the snot out of various kits!

Krush - maybe sometime you can do a body for me and I can feature it in a build piece on BSRC? It would be fun to rep a fellow goon, shipping logistics be damned.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

HoWSeR posted:

Kushgroove: I might have to take you up on yer offer, I don't live in the UK but I do have a UK mailing address (Berkshire) were do you get your shells? thinking of another drift body for the yokomo dib.

Most of my display bodies are HPI but generally customers drop off or ship me whatever they want to paint. I don't have any discount deals with anyone but HPI unfortunately but after we talk about what you want to get painted, you could order something and have it sent to me.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Krush - maybe sometime you can do a body for me and I can feature it in a build piece on BSRC? It would be fun to rep a fellow goon, shipping logistics be damned.

Ha yeah that'd be super cool, I've been wanting to do a cool scaler. Like I said to HoWSeR above, anything can be ordered and sent to me and we can work out postage back to you (although it can get drat expensive).

You guys can drop me a line at krushgroove169 @gmail.com, maybe wit sample pictures of any ideas, and we can see what we can work out. Maybe share the postage to the US?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Method Loser posted:

EDIT: Hope this has the JIS drivers I'll need.

I got a moody pack like that but with plastic handles that didn't have a big enough driver for my Tamiya stuff. Wound up buying the Hozan ball grip one from amazon instead.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Haven't had anything to do with RC for a while, but recently it's flared up again and I had my first 1/8th E-Buggy race of the year this past Saturday. Forgot how much I miss this stuff. Had so much fun.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

HoWSeR posted:

old-school? I don't think so but i so would buy one!

fjelltorsk: is that just a abandoned stretch of road for your track?

its an unused lot that we got the owners approval to use while the county/owners decide what it wil be used for, seems to be going towards it being the endstation for the newly built tramservice we have here. its a cool track we built over some days of summer, with painted outlines and infields, concrete curbs and a drivers platform. we have no powersupply tho, so its run what battery you bring. luckily i have only a ten minute walk home :)

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Anyone got a transponder sitting around they don't use?

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Well, just got this TT01E in the mail, and jeez, thing is fun to toy with. Guess I'll enjoy it until I break/wear something out. Actually who am I kidding, I am going to browse for parts, I can already tell I'm not happy with the poo poo rates of the front shocks, and and and....

edit: Oh god looking at towerhobbies for less sticky tires and suspension parts has me crosseyed; need to read more so I have a clue before just tossing money out on parts that won't be what I want/not even compatible.

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 24, 2014

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Check out Banzai Hobby for parts. I just built a TT02 and picked up a bunch of the hop ups from them. They were cheaper than pretty much anywhere else I found and shipping from Japan wasn't too bad.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, the Japanese and Hong Kong stores are dirt cheap and usually have fast postage times.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
So, I think I've figured everything out barring the pinion/motor and spur(unsure if right term, or if I'm looking for differential here?) gears pitch. Anyone have a guide or something about what pitches/toothcounts are usable in a tt01e?
Taking the drat thing apart and reassembling pretty much cleared everything else up.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Method Loser posted:

So, I think I've figured everything out barring the pinion/motor and spur(unsure if right term, or if I'm looking for differential here?) gears pitch. Anyone have a guide or something about what pitches/toothcounts are usable in a tt01e?
Taking the drat thing apart and reassembling pretty much cleared everything else up.

This should help. I need one for the TT02.

http://www.arroyoc.com/index.cfm?fu...nt=1&ispdf=true

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finished 3 bodies this week:

These were fun but this was my favorite to do:

Now I want to get an M05...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Alitalia on an Italian car? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

krushgroove posted:

Now I want to get a Cup Racer...

Look how ashamed you should be working where you do!!! Excellent work on the bodies though. I decided a long time ago that airbrushing was not for me after spending 15+ hours on a body only to have them get wrecked. If I need something nice I'll pay someone else.

Speaking of which I have a new/unpainted 2 piece jeep Comanche honcho style body for my SCX10 which apparently is super rare and people are freaking out I have the 2 piecer so I'll either need to take my sweet time or find someone in the scale world that does a good job. ColonelJ, any suggestions?