Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Obliveon's first three albums are pretty sci-fi. They're meant to be "not bad".

Hey guess what, the Nasheim album is actually coming out in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
From This Day Forward is pretty drat good, I need to listen to Nemesis I guess.

They are sort of similar to Vektor actually, with a good deal less black metal vocals and wank to boot.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Dear Metal Goons: I finally got off my rear end and starting going to the gym, working a starting strength routine. I need a good playlist for gym time, and I would like some input. So far I'm going with Amon Amarth, Motorhead, Skeletonwitch, Neurosis and The Ocean but obviously I'll need more.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Amon Amarth, I'm seeing them tomorrow night in Dallas' House of blues with Enslaved and Skeletonwitch. It's rare that I'm into every band at a show, but I couldn't pass this one up.

Amon Amarth are the AC/DC of Swedish Death Metal (meant as a compliment), and Enslaved are probably my favorite Norwegian black metal band from 'back in the day' that's still active, I saw them at the last Hole in the Sky show in Bergen a few years back and they smoked the rest of the bands in terms of sound quality and showmanship. I'm not big into Skeletonwitch, but at worst they're competent black thrash so looking forward to them as well. Any other DFW goons going?

rxcowboy it sounds like you're into more shouty vocals than black/death screaming, so I must recommend Strapping Young Lad's City. It remains to this day the single most aggressive and angry album I've ever heard in my life. Townsend was literally going crazy during it's recording :getin:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

rxcowboy posted:

Dear Metal Goons: I finally got off my rear end and starting going to the gym, working a starting strength routine. I need a good playlist for gym time, and I would like some input. So far I'm going with Amon Amarth, Motorhead, Skeletonwitch, Neurosis and The Ocean but obviously I'll need more.

What the hell is the matter with you, you girly man? Let's get your flabby mass off that couch. It's time to pump your muscles. Get your body into shape. This song is called "It's simple, if it giggles, it's fat."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp_v9cWh07o

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

What the hell is the matter with you, you girly man? Let's get your flabby mass off that couch. It's time to pump your muscles. Get your body into shape. This song is called "It's simple, if it giggles, it's fat."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp_v9cWh07o

:laffo:

That is the best loving thing.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
You didn't post Get to the Choppa?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPIO86jTrQQ

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Nordick posted:

God drat, this is actually really good. I can't even really put my finger on what does it. It's just a drat good, balanced package and somehow sounds so... pleasant.

It's just so ... economical. None of the songs ever sound like they're on auto-pilot, where you're just sort of waiting for the cool part to come (or come back). The cool part is always happening. Even when stuff is repeated, it's twiggled or rearranged to make it sound bigger and more interesting. And those choruses, I mean, c'mon.

Now here's Kvelertak performing on the Norwegian Grammys with a drum corps of owl people.
http://youtu.be/eMRn4GMwTfA

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Personally I think that Neurosis and The Ocean are not great choices because they change poo poo up a lot and can get droney for a while. What works best for me is stuff with a really focused groove and a lot of aggression so I can stay focused and bro out (Amon Amarth is good for that). Stuff like Carcass's new album (Surgical Steel), Fear Factory's Demanufacture, pretty much anything by Bolt Thrower, or Cryptopsy's None So Vile if you want to get totally insane. How familiar with metal are you? Some of the classics always work well, like 80's-era Slayer or Metallica.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

rxcowboy posted:

Xibalba, Devourment, Dying Fetus, Pig Destroyer, Hatebreed, No Zodiac

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

comes along bort posted:

Xibalba, Devourment, Dying Fetus, Pig Destroyer, Hatebreed, No Zodiac

Devourment and similar slam stuff like Infected Malignity, Short Bus Pile Up, Cerebral Bore, etc., are drat good workout music. I'd say Wormed are too, but they have so many tempo changes that they'd be likely to trip you up (great band though)

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Well if you're going the slam route then I have to suggest Chordotomy, and this is coming from someone who doesn't even like slam. They sustain a ridiculous dark groove. Just skip the first 4 minutes of this album -- except for those times when you want an ominous mood to be set.

http://youtu.be/ANy5bXKqqSE

tor_blackblood
Feb 14, 2012

Where death seems to dwell...
Just got back from the Amon Amarth/Enslaved/Skeletonwitch show in San Antonio. Do yourself a favor and check this tour out if you can. All three bands put on a hell of a show.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
T-Minus 18 hours for the Dallas show :sweden: :black101:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

tor_blackblood posted:

Just got back from the Amon Amarth/Enslaved/Skeletonwitch show in San Antonio. Do yourself a favor and check this tour out if you can. All three bands put on a hell of a show.

I've embraced insanity and am seeing them consecutive nights in Charlotte and Norfolk :black101:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

rxcowboy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h40F3MwDTOA

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

rxcowboy posted:

Paging Defiant Sally!

Anyways: Carcass, Origin, Meshuggah, Revocation, Deicide, Exhumed, Gloria Morti, Mors Principium Est, Bolt Thrower, Hour of Penance, Hypocrisy, Insomnium, Sons of Aeon, Symphony X

gently caress it just look here

and then here

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yeah buy that ones not about lifting weights like the guy was asking about.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

the yeti posted:

I've embraced insanity and am seeing them consecutive nights in Charlotte and Norfolk :black101:

I'll be at the Charlotte show, been looking forward to this.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

rxcowboy posted:

Nashville Pussy has a ton of good workout paced poo poo but you might drop weights on your feet from laughing

Black Flag - Damaged could do the trick too

and pre-Roots Sepultura

he said he wanted good music

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Morbid Florist posted:

Black Flag - Damaged could do the trick too

Hell yeah, this owns for workouts (Rise Above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHR-rzUjCzU)

Also I wish the US had equivalents to the big outdoor metal festivals. Every time I see a poster like this, I get insanely jealous of people in the EU:

Edit- Also thanks to whoever was/were talking about Inquisition earlier and put me onto this band. Been progressively going through their discography over the past couple of days and they loving own.

Iceberg-Slim fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 21, 2014

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

rxcowboy posted:

Pretty much anything in C and lower is pretty good lifting music. I'm not much for low-tuned stuff, but then again I'm not much for lifting either. I'm all about black metal cardio.

Based off your mention of Skeletonwitch and Amon Amarth, I'm guessing you're into badass hooks, so you should probably listen to Revolting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLK95cebodY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHf5tx9D9w

Also Bolt Thrower, Asphyx, Hail of Bullets' first alsum and pretty much whatever else Marten van Drunen has touched is worth a listen.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Morbid Florist posted:

Nashville Pussy has a ton of good workout paced poo poo but you might drop weights on your feet from laughing

Karma to Burn are basically an instrumental Alabama Thunderpussy (wait, is there really a band called Nashville Pussy as well?)... Anyway, check out Wild, Wonderful Purgatory for some pretty fun stoner-ish butt rock without any words.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Morbid Florist posted:

he said he wanted good music

In just about any other context I'd probably agree, but for working out nothing beats Hatebreed.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

rxcowboy posted:

Depending on your goals, Crowbar may work for you..

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Should be seeing these guys in about 30, if I can figure out how to reliably phonepost I may toss up a few shots off each band real-time.

Test:

UncleSkunk
May 8, 2007
Erotic Cakes

rxcowboy posted:

Back when I was into powerlifting my go-to bands were Vader, Misery Index, Benighted, Origin and Anaal Nathrakh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcsFZMwjZPg

If this doesn't get you pumped, you may want to consider Zumba instead.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guitars were a little muted but drums and vocals were nice and clear. Good set, I recommend these guys for your blackened thrash needs.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

and pre-Roots Sepultura

Haha, I was thinking about recommending Roots. I've always thought it was a good album and it has an insanity about it. I still like Pantera though so I automatically fail any metal test.

But do get Sepultura for working out, I was listening to Beneath the Remains today for the first time in years and it's loving amazing

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Oh, has the internet metal nerd consensus on Pantera shifted back to hate again?

Such fickle creatures, they are.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm still down with Cowboy from Hell and Vulgar Display, plus they still own a strip club here in Dallas.

Anyway here's Enslaved playing show-closer Isa:

e: And once again their sound guy used black magic to make every loving thing sound studio clear.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 22, 2014

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I really love Anata. All of their albums are great. Do you like Anata?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqMYsP1yav8

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

comes along bort posted:

Oh, has the internet metal nerd consensus on Pantera shifted back to hate again?

lol it was always hate man

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

comes along bort posted:

Meh, gently caress the haters, Pantera owned, especially TSGTK.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Weaponized Cum posted:

I really love Anata. All of their albums are great. Do you like Anata?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqMYsP1yav8

Anata owns and tech death owns.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amon Amarth owns

The singer is goofy as gently caress, great between song banter.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

rxcowboy posted:

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Paging Defiant Sally!

I have been summoned. As resident Swole Dude, here's a good list of bands that provide some incredible gym tapes:

Death (Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic)
Vader (Everything. Seriously. Start with XXV and their latest for maximum INCREDIBLE GAINS)
Insomnium (Above the Weeping World and Across the Dark)
Edge of Sanity (Crimson 2)
Amon Amarth (Pretty much the entire discography)
In Flames (The Jester Race)
Gorod (Perfect Absolution)
Obscura
Opeth (Still Life, some slow parts, but great overall for the gym IMO)
Ouroboros
Be'Lakor
Skeletonwitch (Entire discography)
In Mourning

Seriously though man. Vader. Just have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGYB66S9SEo

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Takes No Damage posted:

Amon Amarth owns

The singer is goofy as gently caress, great between song banter.

I saw them years ago, 2005 or 2006 or so, and from where I was standing I watched as the guitarist filled his ale horn with bottled water at the back of the stage, then come to the front, lift it to the crowd and down the "beer" inside.

Death to false Vikings.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Houseplant posted:

Anata owns and tech death owns.

Tech death sucks sometimes (looking at you Rings of Saturn) but when it's good, it's really good. Obscura, Nespithe, and Unquestionable Presence are probably in my top 20 albums ever.

Anata is one of the better bands in the genre, pretty consistent. Some sick compositions/melodic progressions/riff phrasing variations on Under a Stone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stoat posted:

I saw them years ago, 2005 or 2006 or so, and from where I was standing I watched as the guitarist filled his ale horn with bottled water at the back of the stage, then come to the front, lift it to the crowd and down the "beer" inside.

Death to false Vikings.

Uh oh, the frontman had his own horn holster thing on his belt and downed several 'ales' with the crowd throughout the show, have I been deceived has it all been a lie :ohdear: